Michele Tafoya Show: Food Labeling…Do We Need More Information?
The Rudd Center for Food Policy and Research will join Michele Tafoya today at 3:35pm to talk about food labeling. Does the movie theater popcorn need a nutritional label? What about the food at Target Field or the Dome? Many restaurants are now making nutritional values know but how many calories are in that Number 6 meal at the Drive Thru?
Here are a few things to know and places to learn more:
- Next time you decide to eat out at a fast-food restaurant, consider taking a look at Dietfacts.com. They have nutritional listings for just about every menu item you’ll find from Applebees to Zippy’s. Thinking about a Triple Whopper? 165% of the daily recommended amount of saturated fat. Yikes.
- Need to eat out but not sure where or what to order? Many fast food restaurants are now offering healthier options. Healthy Dining Finder is the place to start. Type in your location, how much money you want to spend and they’ll tell you where to go and what to order.
- Here’s a website full of links and tips on what you should consider when pouring over a menu.
- What are the absolute worst things you can eat? Check out this list of the 272 worst fast food items. They actually found 63 foods that contain over 1,000 calories (and 3 that are over 2,000)!
- Men’s Health has compiled their own list of the 20 worst foods in America. Wondering what number 1 is? Try the Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing at Outback for a cool 2,900 Calories!