Daughter, Mother Share Similar Cancer Experience

By Liz Collin, WCCO-TV

(WCCO) –A young Minnesota mother battling breast cancer is sending a message: that you’re never too young to be checked for the disease.

It’s been the hardest six months LaTasha Robinson has been through. She’s just 22 years old and her stage-three breast cancer diagnosis came in June.

“I was just scared, you know, like I don’t want to die,” said LaTasha. “I got a 2-year-old son.”

She did chemotherapy first. However, just days ago at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, she lost both of her breasts to a double mastectomy.

“You have to choose you want your breast or you want your life. You want your life.”

The disease didn’t single out just one member of the Robinson family. LaTasha’s mother is a 15-year breast cancer survivor.

“Let me be the one. Don’t take my child,” said Cynthia.

Cynthia was diagnosed close to the same age as LaTasha, and as a young mother herself.

“She always tried to stay strong for us — not wanting to show us she was in too much pain,” said LaTasha.

“She’s doing lots better than I ever did,” said Cynthia.

Cynthia said the cancer treatment has changed dramatically since her fight. She spent three months in the hospital from severe chemo side effects.

“If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t be as strong, and I know the reason I’m strong is because of my son,” said LaTasha.

LaTasha will start radiation in six weeks and then hopes to get back to a life that she’s been missing for six months.

“It hurts like crazy, but it’s another step I have to go through and I’m ready to face it,” she said.

More from Liz Collin
Comments

1. Shondale Howard says:

Hi Latasha,

Just wanted you to know that your cousins are praying for your recovery daily and that God will prevail! Keep the faith sweetie.

Shondale & Lungen Howard
    Atlanta, Georgia

2. khampasith says:

Hi Latasha, YOU’RE MY HERO!!!!! Thank you for speaking out and being an inspiration for all of us. My prayer is also for you healing and recovery. Stay strong and keep the faith🙂

Khampasith

3. khampasith says:

Hi Latasha, YOU’RE MY HERO!!!!! Thank you for speaking out and being an inspiration for all of us. My prayer is also for your healing and recovery. Stay strong and keep the faith🙂

Khampasith

4. Denise (Niecy) Johnson says:

Hello Tasha, I want to let you know that I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. I am amazed by your faith and strength. You are blessed to have your mother available who knows exactly what you are going through and can provide the physical comfort when you need it. God is good and our family is blessed.

5. Marc lewis says:

Latasha,
    This is your cousin from Missouri. We are all behind you, thinking of you and praying for you. Love you and my God bless you.

Marc & Allison Lewis and Family
    Saint Joseph, MIssouri

6. Kenny G says:

Latasha, I admire you for your courage and pray for your recovery. Stay strong, May God bless you.

7. LaTasha Robinson says:

Thank you for all your comments and concerns and prayers!!

8. Almeda says:

LaTasha, we just heard of your surgery and are praying for a sppedy recovery.
    Aunt Almeda and Greast Grandma Maggie Jones

9. Betty Kimbrough says:

Latasha, Mom just told me about your surgery. Your family in Texas is also praying for you. Lots of strength and love to you and the rest of the family.

Your cousins, Betty, Johnny Ray and family.

10. Your Dad says:

Never give up, God is bigger then all things and he will see u through, I love you.

Your Dad.