Police Dog Stabbed In Maplewood

MAPLEWOOD, Minn. (WCCO) — A police dog is in critical condition after being stabbed Friday morning while responding to a call at a Maplewood business.

The dog was stabbed while checking out a car at the Truck Utilities Company near Highway 36 and English Street.

Police were investigating after a rash of break-ins was reported there and had set up a “bait” car.

“When it’s entered in any way, we’re notified right on a radio channel instantaneously,” said Maplewood Police Lt. Dave Kvam.

An alarm went off about 5 a.m. Friday, and when police arrived they arrested two people and called Roseville police for back-up.

Roseville Police dog, Major, was sent in to investigate for more suspects. Police heard the dog make a yipping noise. They believe Roel Perez hid with a crowbar and stabbed Major.

“He was secreted in an area and we think ambushed Major when he came in,” said Roseville Police Chief Rick Mathwig.

Major has lacerations on his head, neck and chest and was brought to the University of Minnesota Veterinary Hospital. He had blood and plasma infusions as soon as he arrived. The dog is in critical but stable condition.

Doctors said the next 24 hours are critical for Major, but they are optimistic that he will recover. It’s unclear if he will be able to continue working as a police dog.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Susie Jones Reports

Meanwhile, a third suspect was found shortly after the first two were apprehended. Maplewood authorities identified them as Ryan Dorner, of Mahtomedi, and James McBain and Roel Perez, both of Maplewood.

Perez McBain Dorner, dog stabbing suspects

Maplewood officers arrested Roel Perez and James McBain, both of Maplewood and Ryan Dorner, of Mahtomedi. (credit: Ramsey County Sheriff's Dept.)

Another dog from a different department eventually led police to Perez. That dog had bitten his leg and police believe Perez had bite marks from Major all over his arms.

Major, police dog stabbed

Major and some of his many awards. (credit: CBS)

Major and his handler had just been honored Thursday night with a public safety award from North Memorial Medical Center.  A man had tried to drown Major several times in a lake near Roseville in July.

He is a 9-year-old dog and has been with the police department for 7 years.

Comments

1. Melissa says:

How immature to say such things. Police dogs do a great service for the people! Things that humans cannot do. I sure hope he makes a recovery and is able to go back to work.

1. Mark says:

The faster the dog dies at the U of M’s veterinary hospital the less money the taxpayers of Minnesota will need to shell out. Even if he’s trained, he’s a dog, not a person.

1. jabailey says:

Shame on your heartless soul, Mark.

2. Rudy says:

Mark, I feel sorry for you. Clearly your creator left you with no heart. I’m keeping Major in my thoughts and hope he makes a good recovery.

2. jtb says:

Wow Kelly, maybe you should have a little empathy for the poor animal that was just out doing its job that it was trained to do! Maybe you should ask the criminals did this in the first place to pay your taxes!

3. Mosby says:

and of course they pull the comment while I’m commenting! Praying for Major, Jorgy!

4. Fitz says:

I hope he is OK and that is a Police Officer youtax idiot….that dog saves lives. Learn some respect would you?

5. Jamie says:

Really Kelly?? Stabbing a police dog is like stabbing a human police officer and is taken very seriously. The UM is the best vetrinary clinic in the state. The dog is in good hands.

6. Holley says:

Very Sad. I hope he makes it and they find the other two suspects.

7. pandoramn says:

Yes, Kelly…it IS good use of our tax dollars to use canines in searches. They are able to crawl into small spaces and get to perps more quickly and effectively than humans.

You are obviously and insensitive jerk to even comment on money with regard to the suffering this poor animal is going through – or are you one of the criminals they are still searching for?

8. Jabailey says:

Budget cuts of years ago dictated that police officers ride alone in their car rather than partnering up for safety and better effectiveness in dangerous situations. SInce then, I have been a proponent of ALL officers having a sturdy, brave canine partner. It’s money very well spent. KELLY: would you rather have had the officer stabbed as he investigated? Police canines are well trained, fast, and have assisted officers over and over in apprehending criminals, helping keep their officer partner safe. I hope that Major is able to be treated and brought back to health and work. What a good dog he was, doing his job!

9. Dianesinep says:

kelly….I did not see your comment, but from others’ responses, I hope you are never in a situation where you need ANY kind of help that would require the use of our Tax Dollars…..

10. Tami Brass says:

I saw the police cars on my way to work this morning (at a school). Found out what happened with students near my desk. We talked about it as a class. All of us wish Major a speedy recovery. Poor thing!

11. ann eastsider says:

This just makes me sick.I hope Major will be o.k.What a brave doggie he is.

12. Wayne says:

I can’t see kelly’s comments here, but after reading other’s comments about Kelly’s, all I have to say to Kelly is “get a life, you idiot.:

13. Mike says:

I don’t understand the idiots who abuse animals, or in this case stab one. But I also don’t understand the emotional attachment people have for animals. Glad to see it was the dog and not the police officer.

1. K says:

Clearly you must not own any animals.

1. Amy says:

thank you K……..some people are just idots!

2. Heather says:

Seeing as animals are great judges of characters, maybe you have never had the chance to bond with one!? Just saying..

14. NMP says:

Praying for Major’s recovery. These animals go above and beyond the capabilities of humans in so many dangerous situations without hesitation or consideration for their own safety, asking for nothing in return. I hope whoever committed this terrible crime is punished to the fullest extent of the law.

15. signmon45 says:

why would a K9 officer release his K9 off leash and out of his sight?. The K9 did’nt have back up, all the officers heard was a yelp. Too late then to help Major.

1. jabailey says:

That is Major’s job – to go ahead and pave the way to keep his officer safe, and hopefully to be able to stop the criminal in his tracks so the officer can arrest/cuff the thug.

16. Dee says:

I am sorry to here about your partner they do a grat job on what they do i am a dog lover too and i have a partner too and they can be such a great friend too i will pray that Major will be ok and get well soon take care my thought are with you

17. Linda says:

I didn’t see Kelly’s comment, but I do see Mike’s comment of “glad it was the dog and not the police officer that got stabbed”; the dog is a police officer – maybe not in the sense that that his partner human officer is, but a police officer nonetheless. I will reiterate what others have said, I hope neither Kelly nor Mike are ever in a situation where they need the assistance of a police dog – they may be changing their minds then!

18. Hickory says:

The officer who handles this K9 was shot in the arm a couple years ago while on a SWAT operation. This is just another sad reminder how difficult, dangerous and demanding the job of a police officer can be.

Here is a quote that in the end, sums it up. “We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” – George Orwell

19. JamieinMN says:

This just breaks my heart. I hope he pulls through!

20. Kyle says:

Hey Jorgy it’s Kyle you and Major are in my thoughts and prayers Major is a great officer and has helped keep you and many others safe,

21. Captain Bu says:

I hope they catch the cowards who did this to Major. This crime should be treated the same as if they assulted a human officer. From Captain Bu’s Labradors Burny And Lucky

22. Bonita Darula says:

I am just in anger over this incident. The poor dog. I think of Major as my “little darling.” Animals no matter what they are, do not deserve this kind of treatment.
    I am praying for Major. He has to make it. What a brave dog.
    I want to see the people who did this caught. We all know, if they can do this to an animal, they will do it to a human.
    My heart goes out to Major and his owners.
    Get well, Major

23. cathy says:

Praying for Major and his handler/owner and their family. K-9’s and their partners are the best of buds…no one should have to go through this. I understand that Major was doing his job, and he protected the other human officers, but I still know the feeling of having an animal hurt and sick and wouldn’t want anyone to have to go through that. Major and Officer Jorgensen are both extremely brave to do the job they do every day. God bless them and all the peacemakers.

24. Sam's Mom says:

I have a 90 pound german shepherd who’d be more than willing to help track down the creeps who stabbed Major for free!

25. Mike says:

@ Linda – You are saying that a police dog is equal to a police officer? So you would rather have human officer get a knife to the gut, than the police dog? That kind of talk is just silly lady. I’d rather no police officer/dog get hurt, but if one of them gets hurt, I’m sure happy as hell its not the human.

26. Mary Datlon says:

Jorgy, So sorry, Major is a great animal and police canine. Emma still talks about going with Matt to check on Major. Take care you are in our thoughts and prayers. Mary D ( Matt’s Sister).

27. Maplewood Man says:

I live three blocks from the location where this crime occurred. The Roseville Police department and Major are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you to all who were involved.

For those of you who unfailry criticize law enforcement and other government agencies, grow up and EDUCATE yourself on what goes on in the real world. Key word being EDUCATE!!!!

28. Annette says:

It is true what they say….stupid people should not breed! I don’t live far from this area and want the protection that we are getting from the officers and their dogs. We totally support the cause and this person should just “lay down by their dish”. I suppose you feel we should use tax payers money for the criminals instead? This is why the world is so messed up. You have your priorities in the wrong place.

29. Cher says:

My thoughts and prayer are with Major. Police dogs are amazing anmials. They do the most dangerous jobs. They protect the poice officers and the citizens.

God bless you Major.

30. Ronette says:

Jorgy and Major – we are praying for you and we thank you for your selfless service to the Public – unconditionally protecting us all. K9s are so loyal and come to work with no hidden agendas. What a privilege to work with someone with that kind of work ethic. Friends in Moorhead.

31. Julie Jefferson says:

It truly saddens me how uncaring and thoughtless people can be about life. For all you jerks….If you have nothing positive to say…then keep your mouth close!!
    My prayers are with you Major.

32. Shelli says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you Officer Jorgenson and Major!!! The U of M has created miracles in my life more than once saving my animals when they were severally injured and I believe he is the best place he can be and they will do their very best to get him back to work!!!!!! You and Major should be commended for your great work protecting even the idiots that post here! A police officer is a police officer regardless if it is a human or a dog – people wake up – they go through many hours of training just like human officers so they deserve every bit of respect that human officers do!!!!!

33. Kevin says:

My prayers are with you Major. Thanks to many like officer Jorgensen and Major, the rest of us can rest at night! I hope the scum that did this faces the additional charges related to attempted murder of a police officer.

34. Michael Westly says:

I totally and completly agree with the above two comments. Some trained attack dog trying to kill me and I will fight back with what ever I had at hand. That dog had know way what so ever of knowing it was trying to rip to pieces was guilty of anything. Typical cop….attack and ask questions later.

1. SCS says:

Hmmm…I wonder why you have the view point you do?? An injured Wesley then drove away, leading police on a short chase before striking a brick wall at the corner of Hayden Bridge Road and 10th Street, Chief Smith said.Longtime neighborhood resident Sandra Connelly said Wesley drove through her yard before crashing into the wall.

35. Mary D says:

kerrigan and mulford, This dog is not trained to injury by standers. They are trained to help fight, and rescue criminals. This dog is a loving dog and my kids have played with him with no probelms at all. This dog would also save a life if his partner “Officer Jorgenson” would tell him too. Maybe you should all keep your mouths shut if you have nothing good to say. This dog is an injured officer just like any other police officer.

36. Deb says:

There must be something about the name “Mike” that makes people an idiot.
    Mike #1, a police k9 is a police officer. Assaulting a police dog has the same consequences of assaulting any other police officer.
    Mike #2 Police dogs are NOT trained to attack to kill. They are trained to detain. They are not vicious (there is no such word as vicous) any more than any other officer is. They are not malicious or intent on causing harm. They are trying to make the world safer for all of us. Force is only used in kind, when the bad guy is the one who is intent on causing harm.
    Major is a highly awarded veteran officer. He was doing his job – restraining a bad guy. Thank God he was on the job, or this vicious criminal might still be on the loose.
    Praying for Major. He’s in good hands – the U vet school is tops.

1. Amy says:

Thank you Deb and well said! I have a German Shepherd and I wouldn’t trade him for the world. My female had 3 litters of pups and one of those pups recieved the honor of being trained as a “search and rescue” dogs and I am proud that he was found to be trained like this.
      Sending get well well wishes for MAJOR and his owner!

2. Stacy says:

Very well stated Deb. Plus, if the criminal doesn’t threaten the canine officer doesn’t he just bark for is human companions? i know they don’t just go out there attcking every criminal like idiot Mike thinks. Maybe “Duno” needs a new home? Some who knows a thing or two about canine behavior.

37. Tammy says:

If Major can’t work anymore, I would be happy to give him a loving comfortable retirement home.🙂 He is absolutely gorgeous and hope he recovers quickly.

38. mattey says:

why you hating, that dog saves lives, and i just wanna scratch his perky ears hehehehe kekekehehehehe

39. faithful follower says:

I am embarrassed there are so many idiots in the cities. I guess I would rather live in a community rampant with criminals instead of having great K9s like Major keep us safe.

40. Stacy says:

I live in Roseville and am proud to live in a community that cares so much about our police enforcement, human and canine. Thank you. For those who know Major I am so sorry for the pain you are going through. The hatred from these idiot posts do one good thing, those who believe God’s teachings that all God’s creatures deserve love should and will be more inspired to support K9 officers by helping to teach the community (of idiots) what they do. Hoepfully some day they will be protective vests like their human partners to prevent some of these injuries.

41. Lisa says:

Really dude………… are you that much of a Butt Head that you cant have any sympathy for the K9 Officer? Thats right….OFFICER!
    I sure hope that Major was able to put a big CHOMP on the perps ass before he was attacked. My prayer go out to Officer Major, wishing you a speedy recovery.

42. Rocky says:

Prayers going out to Major, Officer Jorgenson and the rest of the Roseville police department.

43. DogLovers of America says:

I would rather spend my tax dollars on hospital bills for Major than i would for those idots being in jail. Major should be allowed to seek revenge.

44. Amy says:

Maybe if this guy kept his sticky fingers to himself he would not have gotten a bite from a Police Dog. People who think they can go a take things that do not belong to them deserve what they get. This hoodrat got a bite…his arm is not falling off. And if one thinks it is “OK” to harm a Police Officer/Police Dog shame on you. These dogs are not trained to hurt innocent people… I know this for a fact. They are here to protect as an Officer would. God Help you!

45. Tammy says:

@ Joe Ranney- the upstanding citizen that almost had his arm almost bitten off (as you said), was burglarizing a place of business! This guy was NOT in his own home when the dog was unleashed on him, he wasn’t just walking down the street…….. he was partaking in criminal activities. C’mon who lives in sleepyville…?? You need to wake up….the guy shouldn’t be taking things that aren’t his….then maybe the K9 dogs and police will leave him alone.

46. Karin says:

My prayers are with you Major

47. Andy says:

“You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be.” Don Van Vliet

48. Andy says:

You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be. / Don Van Vliet

49. Police Explorer says:

Officer Jorgenson, Hang in there. We are all hoping for Major’s complete recovery. Thanks for all of the work that you and Major do for the community

From one of the Roseville,Police Explorers

50. Doug G. says:

I have had the pleasure of playing with Major whenever my wife and I visit the Jorgenson’s home. Major brings a tennis ball to me immediately so he and I can play. Not only is Major an amazing animal, he is an amazing part of the Jorgenson’s family. The people of Roseville should feeel honored to have Jorgy and Major watching out for their safety.

We’re paying for Major and the Jorgensons…Would you all please pray for them too?

1. Heather says:

Doug- I am praying for Major and his family, and will continue to do so. Today is a sad day.

51. Deb says:

The suspect didn’t have his arm ripped off. He had “bite marks on his arm.”
    I train service dogs. I know what working dogs are trained to do. I also know that only extremely stable dogs with great temperaments become police officers.
    The person bitten was not an innocent citizen walking down the street. He was an intruder in a locked establishment.
    The dog would not have bit him if he had not been an immediate thread to an officer. I think “bite marks on his arm” is not in the same scale as stabbed to near death. The perp is lucky it was the dog and he just got bite marks. If it was a human officer having to defend him- or herself, the perp likely would have been shot.
    I’m sorry you are so ignorant. If you don’t know what you’re talking about I think it’s better to stay silent, rather than comment so everyone can see your ignorance.
    The only people who don’t like police dogs are criminals. So thank you for showing us your true colors.

52. Lisa says:

GET WELL SOON, MAJOR!!

53. Sig says:

It would appear that some of Major’s critics have good reason for their negativity.(..Perhaps there is a burglary of someones else’s property in their plans?) It is surely a scary proposition to be sniffed out, caught & held in the vice grips of a trained canine officer before being booked into jail.. hmmm, It is probably a better idea to get a job and buy your own stuff, eh?
    On a footnote, trained canines are also utilized in war. Many of these dogs have lost their lives saving soldiers & civilians alike. Thank God for them.
    May God speed your recovery, Major.

54. Shelli says:

I am floored by the idiotic statements made here!!!!! MAJOR IS A HIGHLY DECORATED/HONORED CANINE OFFICER – that doesn’t mean he is a rabid dog that runs around biting and attacking people. He is trained to do a job and he was doing it. If these so called “innocent” guys weren’t breaking into this business in the wee hours of the morning they wouldn’t have had a dog attached to their ass as they were trying to scurry away like rats!!!!!!

55. Neil says:

After he recovers, they should tie this guys hands behind his back and let the dog rip him apart.

56. Shelli says:

Yeah Neil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57. richard says:

Police dogs do a valuable service to our country but they do cost money to be trained and fed and housed so anyone who thinks they are free is wrong. Better to have the dog stabbed than the officer. Look at the pic of those fine liberal Al Franken voters!! Gotta love it! Remember people the prisons are full of liberal democrats who vote like them! Release the hounds!!

58. Pennis says:

I wonder if the idiot who stabbed the police dog realizes the charges are same as if he stabbed a human officer, because they are the same charges. I hope Major makes a full recovery, he did a good job by saving the lives of his fellow officers.

59. Molly says:

This makes me sick. Get well soon Major, there are a lot of people praying for you. As far as the theives, I hope you get what you deserve and that it is a long and hateful punishment. Someone should beat you with a crowbar.

60. AE says:

I THINK THIS MIKE GUY IS AN IDIOT AND IS PROBABLY NOT EVEN INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO EVEN GRASP WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING. EITHER WAY, POLICE DOG OR HUMAN THEY DO THE SAME JOB DAY IN AND DAY OUT AND BOTH DESERVE THE SAME RESPECT. HEY MIKE WHY DONT YOU TELL OFFICER JORGENSON FACE TO FACE WHAT YOU THINK, I BET HE THINKS DIFFERENTLY

61. Jack says:

Its a dog, why is it such a big deal?

1. cathy says:

Would you be willing to put on a uniform and badge and put your life on the line every day like these police officers do? Major is just a dog – he is a highly trained k9 police officer.

1. Cathy says:

Got a little ahead of myself – meant to say Major is NOT just a dog – he is a highly trained K9 police officer. I had a typo and meant no disrespect.

62. Cindy says:

Hi John- Sending thoughts and prayers to Major, you and your family. I hope Major will recover his health and energy and be able to work again. Thanks for all the 2 of you do everyday to help keep us all safe. Cindy (Regions Hand)

63. V for Vendetta says:

The Police are no longer Public Servants and a force for good, rather the controllers and enforcers of a terrorist organization called the US Government.

64. chris says:

I pray this k9 officer makes it.I love our law enforcement people.I am especially close to the animals who work so hard without knowing their lives are on the line and are so apprrciated.Get well Major.my prayers are with you.

65. notmyrealname says:

UNLESS you have ever worked a K-9
    UNLESS you hav e dedicated your life to said K-9 –working it long after punching out for the day-creating an unbreakable bond
    UNLESS you have known that unwavering bond with your K-9 -and almost know each others every thought
    AND UNLESS YOU HAVE FELT THE PAIN WHEN YOUR PARTNER GOES DOWN DOING THEIR JOB FOR YOU–AND FOR THE CITY OR COUNTY THEY SERVE–

you have no right to judge how they are used–how they are worked–or their effectiveness.

You have no idea—but rather spew hot air.

I know the feeling — as a short time ago it was my dog. Mine survived -but gave up her good health protecting others. Criticize that.

1. Deb says:

Thank you. Hugs & pats to your dog.

66. Sassy says:

This dog needs to be retired, he has been through enough already! Let him enjoy the rest of his life chasing squirrells and balls !!

67. Terry K says:

Thank you John and Major for making our community safe. I know how much Major means to you John and my prayers are with you and Major for a successful recovery.
    Terry in Mounds View

68. Julie Monroe says:

I am so sickened to hear about mistreatment to animals! Pets, K-9’s. The people who do this are demented, sick and need to be locked away/off the streets!
    Thank God for the people who train, care for, and love all our critters!
    I pray that Major makes a full recovery and lives the rest of his life with his trainer in comfort. Prayers continue~!

69. Keith says:

This story breaks my heart. I am a former drug addict and i used to be good friends with 2 of the kids in this case. Behind the drugs these dudes were good people. Drugs can do crazy stuff to people, its so sad how these good people are turning into monsters because of the drugs. I almost killed myself with the drugs and ended up goin to teen challenge. I was saved by the power of Jesus Christ, and ive been sober for 15 months today. I feel its our jpb to pray for major yes, but we ought to pray for those involved in this incident.. i used to be the same as these kids.. i was lost.. all I needed was some guidance and i was set free.. Currently im in college and im working on a degree to become a teacher. If everyone reached out to the lost in our communities all of this could have been avoided.. I know if i had not been saved my face would be in this article.
    God bless yall

70. Patrick says:

Wow, someone must have said some pretty silly things. Good for getting on that person. I just wanted to say-“Hey, Roel, see you in h#ll buddy”. I also wanted to mention that sometimes we forget that these dogs are trained to go into situations they may not comprehend. It borders on being an act of cruelty. We owe them a great debt of gratitude and they have earned that right to be treated as full officers with out any doubt.