Suspect Who Died Fleeing Police ID’d

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A man who Minneapolis police say jumped to his death during a foot chase with officers has been identified as 29-year-old Jason Yang of West St. Paul.

The Hennepin County medical examiner’s office and Minneapolis police say Yang died of multiple injuries after falling several stories from a freeway off-ramp early Saturday.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that police say Yang started a fight just after 2 a.m. outside a downtown nightclub. When officers arrived, he ran to the freeway off-ramp.

Sgt. William Palmer says Yang jumped over a concrete barrier and dropped several stories to a parking lot. Palmer says it appears Yang misjudged the distance to the ground.

The Police Department’s homicide and internal affairs units are investigating.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Soua says:

He didn’t jump! I know him personally and he had too much to live for!! This is another cover up, like the last innocent hmong victim that died when he was shot by the MPLS police and accused of having a weapon. As it turns out there was NO weapon and the gun he was accused of possesing was evdience from another case????

1. Burdee Lee says:

Excuse me CHAD! No one in this world deserves to die! Who do you think you are saying things like this. Were you there personally to know that he was the one to start the fight. It’s people like you who jump to conclusions to not even bother think of why everything have started and ended up the way it did. You are cruel and selfish! Listening to your words tells it all!

2. 12 says:

chad, coudlnt agree more! people do stupid things when they drink.
    had he not ran from the police initially, none of this tragedy would have happened.
    people need to stop playing the blame or race card when things like this happen.

3. Nate says:

There needs to be some clarification because “he was NOT in a fight”. There needs to be justice!!

4. Sandra Lee says:

You are an @ss Chad. I know this guy personally and he was a good guy. He was a phenomenon in the Hmong community. He was not an instigator like the newspaper is portraying him as. He will be miised.

5. Nate says:

A drunken Man wouldnt be able to run around, trying to escape from the police, right?…
    The media portrays another Asian Male to sound like some “thug”. Dont belivie the newspapers!!

6. Perry says:

We really don’t know a person and what goes through their mind when put in situations. We’re only humans, we record data and learn from history. Such examples are Jeffrey Dahmer, his neighbors says he was such a nice guy. Catholic Priests, members and family swears by saying “no, he couldn’t have molested those little boys, I know him, he wouldn’t do that.” And so on….. Again, lets not get carried away and make theories, just stick with the facts and the truth shall be revealed.

7. Meeka says:

The bouncers and police are involved. Five officers don’t need to chase an unruly drunken partier. He didn’t do anything to warrant his death. The crime is called murder and it is being covered up. The truth shall be sought however it wont bring back a great friend, father, husband, mentor.

Why wont they let his family see him.?

8. MICHELLE LEE says:

TO BE FRANK AND FOR THE FACT THAT I WAS NOT THERE TO IDENTIFY WHAT REALLY OCCURRED. THEREFORE, I WILL NO MAKE ANY JUDGMENTS NOR ACCUSATIONS OF WHOM TO BLAME. HOWEVER, FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IN MINNEAPOLIS, MN FOR THE FIRST TIME NOT LONG AGO, I FACED ONE OF THE MOST HORRENDOUS SITUATION EVER. I WAS PUSHED TO THE GROUND FOR NO REASON, ALMOST MAZED TO DEATH, BUT NEARLY MISSED ME BY AN INCH. THE THING WAS, I WAS SOBER AS A KITTEN, DIDN’T EVEN TOUCHED A DRINK THAT NIGHT, OR SHOULD I SAY, DIDN’T EVEN GET TO BECAUSE OF THIS INCIDENT. UNTIL THIS DAY, I’M GLAD THAT I MADE IT OUT OF MINNEAPOLIS, MN SAFE AND ALIVE. COPS/POLICE OFFICERS, (WHICHEVER YOU MAY REFERRED THEM TO) IN THE MINNEAPOLIS, MN DOWNTOWN AREA ARE RACIST, AND I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE FULL OF HATE. I’M NOT JUST MAKING THIS UP! WHILE WAITING FOR MY CAR AT THE VALET, THE VALET GUYS SHARED SIMILAR STORIES/SITUATIONS WITH ME. WHAT A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT IT IS FOR ME TO KNOW THAT IT’S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO LIVE LIFE WITHOUT CONSTANT FEAR. ACCORDING TO WHAT I HAVE READ, JASON’S SITUATION SOUNDS LIKE A HATE CRIME TO ME. MAY THERE BE JUSTICE, IF JUSTICE SHALL BE SERVED!

9. Pang says:

Chad, there is no such thing as “try” when it comes to the “isms” of our society. The truth is, racism, including other isms are still occurring, and we can not ignore the fact that it is still happening today. Ignorant is nothing but a prevention to positive changes for humanity. Aside from the isms, I believe that Jason and his family, deserves the opportunity to seek the truth of what really happened to their loved one. Any family, despite race, culture, religion etc. would want to know and seek closure as they continue to grief their lost. Awareness is powerful, and I encourage each and everyone of us to be honest and accept the truth for what it is. This will only help us to be better human.

10. Pooh says:

Well no one was there to see, but if a guy didn’t do anything wrong there wouldn’t be a need to flee am I right?! And if he was drunk then I could understand why he was trying to flee and jumping off the dam thing. When people are drunk especially asians they do very stupid things and don’t think about it. I’m asian I see alot of dumb shit people do when they are drunk and then you tell them the next day and they don’t remember what they did last night. But I’ve come across alot of prick ass cops in my times they are no fun. But there was tons of people there I’m suprise no one saw anything. Usually when something happens with civilians and cops people always stare. It could’ve been a bad cop or it could of been just the guy being drunk and not thinking at all. But my guess would be he was drunk and didn’t know what he was doing…cause I’m pretty sure the cops wouldn’t be so stupid in doing something in front of a crowd which every one has a camera on their phones.

1. hmong on top of the world says:

POOH WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO ACT IF YOU WAS THERE AT THE SCENE MY IGNORANT LITTLE LIZARD ,JUST BECAUSE A PERSON FLEE THE SCENE DOESNT MAKE HIM OR HER GUILTY OK . FYI MPS POLICE HAS A REP FOR DOING DIRTY STUFF ON DUTY ,SO DONT DOUBT THE POLICE ON OVER POWERING A ASIAN OK ASS HOLE WHAT IF IT WAS YOU DEAD BET THE WORLD YOUR PARENTS WOULD HAVE THE SAME THOUGHTS.

11. Nicole Anderson says:

Pooh, sounds like you are someone who has no education nor respect for life. It appears to me that you have nothing good going for yourself, and the only way to make you feel a tip bit better about who you are is to lose a sense of your identity. It saddens me that you will be talking so much crap about yourself and where you come from. Don’t be proud of who you can’t be. Self acceptance is what you need, indeed. And, I’m saying this from a white woman’s perspective.