Wounded Roseville Police Dog Improves

By Adam Carter, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Major, the Roseville Police K9 stabbed and beaten by a burglary suspect Friday, has made it through emergency surgery at the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center.

Authorities say the dog will survive, but there are concerns about whether Major will regain the use of his rear legs.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Adam Carter Reports

Major was stabbed four times, three times in the head, and once in the chest. The German Shepherd also suffered blunt trauma that likely damaged one of his vertebrae.

Former WCCO Radio personality Dan Hertsgaard trained Major before donating the German Shepherd to the Roseville Police Department.

“I’m so doggone proud of him,” Hertsgaard said. “He’s a hero.”

The dog was injured as he chased a burglary suspect at a Maplewood business Friday morning. Three men, all in their 20s, were arrested.

Maplewood Police continue to gather evidence before the case is forwarded to the Ramsey County Attorney for possible charges.

More from Adam Carter
Comments

1. Judy Day says:

I have so much respect for these dogs and their handlers. There is no way to ever know how many officers’ lives have been saved due to the bravery of these K-9 dogs. My hope is that the rest of Major’s life will be a peaceful one. He has shown uncommon bravery.

2. Michele says:

God bless Major, I pray he makes a full recovery and lives a long life as a house dog. I’m sure his injuries will force him to retire.

Everytime I see a police dog in a car or on the street I have to smile even though they are doing there duty you can see the joy that they have doing it!

3. eye for an eye says:

Let major’s trainer and partner hit the suspect that has bite marks in his arm with the same pry bar he used on the dog ! that will give him something to think about when he goes to prison. instead of which gang he should join when he is in there.

4. Linda Steele says:

I hate to see the dogs get hurt, but I know it saves the police officers lives.and as for the person that hunt major I hope you get what coming to you.

5. Linda says:

I don’t think it’s right to put these dogs in harms way first, Also, the attacker should be charged with more than a misdemeanor, he should be charged the same as if he attacked the police officer. Major was part of the police team, the penalty should be the same.

6. cathy says:

We had police officers in our family who had K9’s as partners and I know the bond that is created, they are just like people. I pray Major recovers enough to live the rest of his life peacefully and happy.
    I hope the punishment for these people fits the crime.
    CM

7. Gen says:

I prayed for Major and was so happy to hear on the news tonight that he is recovering and I hope it continues. I have such a great love for animals that to me they seem almost like humans. God bless our police officers and their canine companions for their heroism.