Katie Couric Interviews Don Shelby Before Retirement

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — We’ve all been finding our own little ways to say thank you to WCCO-TV anchor Don Shelby,  including CBS anchor Katie Couric.

While in town recently, she paid a fellow journalist the highest compliment, by interviewing him.

Couric: I’m sure your intellectual curiosity has motivated you all these years that you still, even at this point in your career, have a lot to learn?

Shelby: Oh incredible amounts to learn, especially today. Katie, I had to go back, when I undertook Project Energy, I had to go back and study physics, high school physics, college physics, chemistry. And I studied things that I never thought that I would study because I didn’t know them. We have to take that tough stuff and break it down and say this is what that means. I had no idea what it meant.

Couric: You had no idea what the tough stuff was, really, right?

Shelby: That’s exactly right, and so my learning curve in the last five years has been straight up. I think I’ve had to learn more in the last five years than I’ve had to learn in the previous 40.

Couric: Do you worry about the future of journalism?

Shelby: Yes, I worry about the future of journalism, because it is so scattered right now.

Couric: You also worry about people being a five miles wide and a quarter inch deep. I wonder about that, too.  How superficial our knowledge will become because everything has become so truncated?

Shelby: And superficial is a bugaboo, because today depth is required more than ever before because issues are more and more complicated.

Couric: On a lighter note, what are you most excited about other than spending time with the grandchildren and your daughters?

Shelby: The hammock. I’ll spend a great deal of time in there, but you know what I’ll probably be doing, I’ll probably be thinking what was that Katie said today that I should be thinking about. I don’t think I’ll ever stop thinking.

Comments

1. Rick says:

I have never met Don Shelby but all I can say is CLASS ACT! Don you are the best in the business and everyone will miss the calming way you bring the news and events to the great state of Minnesota.

2. Luanne Giese says:

Will miss you, best wishes!

3. Jessica says:

DON I WANT TO SAY BEST WISHES TO YOU. I LOVED WATCHING THE NEWS WHEN YOU WERE ON. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS WITH YOUR FAMILY AND TALK ABOUT YOUR NEW JOB “RETIREMENT.” I WILL MISS YOU.
    jessica

4. Jessica says:

DON I WANT TO SAY BEST WISHES TO YOU. I LOVED WATCHING THE NEWS WHEN YOU WERE ON. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS WITH YOUR FAMILY AND TALK ABOUT YOUR NEW JOB “RETIREMENT.” I WILL MISS YOU ON THE NEWS YOU WERE A GOOD NEWS ANCHOR.
    jessica

5. Susan says:

Don you will be missed more than you could know. You are a Class Act News Anchor and a VERY Compassionate human being. Enjoy your retirement and your family.

6. susie says:

Don, your one of a kind ….it was a pleasure to turn on the news and hear your voice . We will miss you !!!! Bless you and your family.

7. dennis agar says:

Don, it seems only yesterday that we said goodbye to Dave Moore, that silly, loveable, caring man. You did fullfil your pledge to keep the news in good hands. The time went by fast Don and you wore well, my highest compliment.

Thanks

Dennis Agar

8. Sheila Ehrich says:

You will be certainly missed by those of us who know the kind of news it takes to keep a community alive and vibrant and a country running. Will we ever again see pieces like your coverage of the Rumanian orphans? Or the many I-team reports. Sadly, I don’t think so.

I have enjoyed watching and listening to you – your honesty, straightforwardness, your self-deprecation as well as your self-promotion, and, yes, your puckishness, as someone put it today. Your support of Paul Douglas and all of the research you yourself have done on climate change has been very much appreciated. We desparately need truthsayers in the world today.

When you left your radio show I could comfort myself by watching you on TV. Now there is very little comfort left.

Enjoy your retirement but know I also hope to see you on the air somewhere again.

9. Mark says:

After breifly meeting Don two decades ago at a sports show my impression of his talent and charisma has only gone up! My family moved from MN to South Carolina for two years. Don is on top of the list of what we missed the most. He was a professional who earned our trust and respect over many years of consisitent class and intellegent reporting. Dave Moore would have been proud! Don set the bar high for all of us. There was not a better anchor…anywhere!
    Thanks Don!