Esme’s Blog: A Farewell To Don Shelby

By Esme Murphy, WCCO-TV

I know there has been a lot of hype about you leaving. I think you would agree that is a bit of an understatement. But I have to tell you it is hard to believe you really won’t be swinging by my desk with your quip of the day, the quick aside, the self deprecating joke at your own expense.

I know you know many people think you are arrogant. But in the newsroom your balloon was popped daily by a merciless group of colleagues who loved to rib you at every possible moment. And I know you loved being on the receiving end.

You with that perpetual twinkle in your eye are still young enough to do something exceptional.

I almost feel you have a secret up your sleeve that you will spring upon us and we will all say, “aha”, that is what the old wizard was planning. You deny this of course, but I know there will be something spectacular ahead.

Good luck Don. You may not be on TV every day, but those of us who know you, will never stop watching to see what the next amazing chapter will be in the life of the best dressed retiree in the Upper Midwest.

And if you feel you need some of that ribbing, the daily hazing you withstood in the newsroom, swing by. We will be there to dish it out, with a hug and a message of how much we already miss you.

More from Esme Murphy
Comments

1. Rodney H Hess says:

Don Shelby is the greatest newscaster of all time. On top of that, he was always so professional, as well as being so neatly dressed, like Esmy stated. Don, you and Mike Douglas were probably the most well liked of anyone on TV.

Enjoy your retirement. I know you will never be fully retired, because you always loved what you were doing. Best wishes from our family to you and your family.

2. NAOMI BROWDER-ENCK says:

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RETIREMENT SHELBY. MY AND DAVE DAUGHTER WAS JUST BORN AROUND THE TIME YOU CAME TO WCCO. I WILL MISS SEENING YOUR HANSOM FACE. MY CHILDREN STILL TALK ABOUT YOU. ALTON THINK THAT YOU ARE THE GREATEST AND SO DO NAKIYSHA. TAKE CARE OLD FRIEND. NAOMI (DAVE CHANEY) REMEMBER THE TIMES. LOVE YOU MY FRIEND.

3. richard says:

I’ve always been a pretty good judge of character. Ny “gut” has led me to believe Don was a “good guy”. Having said that, I think in his newsman role I felt he was to be trusted….and trust I have. He’s never let me down. Don is already missed.

4. Greg Applen says:

Not to brag, but I did receive an email from Don several years ago. The topic….The Fart Machine. You see, there is no arrogance if a guy can take a moment out of a busy day to send an email to an “average Joe” about something as silly as The Fart Machine. Good luck on your retirement.

5. Tony Rozycki says:

He has a good sense of humor & has risen in popularity gradually & steadily since his arrival in Minnesota, from Texas, quite awhile ago…1978.

6. Mr. Dana W. Carlson says:

I would like to say good riddance to Don Shelby. Mr. Shelby didn’t always bother to take the time to verify his facts, particularly with regard to former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura. Shelby, in his attempt at character assassination implied that Ventura only did stuff that affected him personally. Shelby also implied that Ventura supported a ban on studs on snowmobiles because Ventura owns snowmobiles. The truth is is that Ventura has never owned a snowmobile or even rode on one.

7. Cache says:

Alright already! How long are you going to drag out this sob story on Lefty, I’ll check my facts maybe, later” Looney! Good bye, get out, whoopie, don’t let the door hit you on the way out!