Minn. Mother Loses Husband While Son Fights Cancer

By Liz Collin, WCCO-TV

FOREST LAKE (WCCO) — For months, a Forest Lake family have battled for their son’s health. Now, it’s a new battle this family is in that is almost too much to bear.

Doctors diagnosed Trisha and Troy Jensen’s 7-year-old son, Nathan, with brain cancer this spring.

The news changed everything for the Jensen family eight months ago. Children usually live less than a year with the diagnosis.

The family, however, tried to keep it together.

“We had a great summer. We lived life to the fullest this summer for more reasons than one,” Trisha said.

Then, on Saturday, tragedy struck again.

Trisha’s husband and Nathan’s dad, Troy, died from an asthma attack at just 35 years old.

“He collapsed and they never got him back. They never got him back,” Trisha said. “It’s almost an unbelievable tragic story, but it’s my life.”

For months, Trisha shared Nathan’s pain on his Caringbridge site. Now, prayers from around the world have poured in again.

Trisha is trying to stay strong for her kids and she’s holding onto to the hope the future still holds. Their third baby will be born in May.

“It was our blessing — our excitement,” Trisha said.

So, while the grief is unimaginable right now, a young mother is finding comfort in the decision they made months ago. They wanted to live much differently.

“I guess we are blessed because we were able to start living that way before he died. So, we have those memories together,” she said.

Troy Jensen hadn’t had an asthma attack in years. Doctors told Trisha it was likely a mix of the cold weather, a chest cold, and high stress that caused it.

There is a fund set up for the family at all Wells Fargo Banks under the Jensen Memorial Fund.

WCCO-TV’s Liz Collin Reports

More from Liz Collin
Comments

1. Kathy says:

Today I will not complain about my petty problems. Instead I will “Live Jensen” and enjoy.

1. Kris says:

I was thinking the same thing. I will count my blessings today.

2. Steph says:

A reminder that someone out there will always need our prayers, positive thoughts, love and compassion. This story gives my life perspective. My prayers are with the Jensen family.

3. Ronda says:

As I read this story, my first thought was that maybe God took Nathan’s dad to heaven first so he could meet his son when it’s his turn. May this family find peace during this sad time.

4. red says:

God Bless the entire Jensen famil this holiday season. I agree with Rondas thought that perhaps God took Nathans Dad first to meet me there when it is Nathans turn

5. Mark from mntaxwaste says:

I will count my blessings today, and remember this family in my prayers.

6. Burning Thunder says:

They need prayers and God ! But don’t we all.

7. Rick says:

Live life to the fullest, I tell my family everyday that I love them.
    Having lost my father while in high school & my son after he graduated I take nothing for granted. Trish for what its worth life goes on. Keep your head up there are sunny days ahead.

8. Jennifer says:

I wish I lived closer to them and could help them out. I hope their community comes together for them during the tough times they are having now and the tough times ahead. My heart goes out to them.

9. jennifer M says:

I wish i had gotten to know your family abit better trish. this is jennifer earls X-girlfriend. I am sorry to hear that all of the bad things are happening to you and yours. You will be in my prayers.♥ Jennifer

10. Linda says:

I feel so sad for you and your family.. May God’s love give you peace during this difficult time.

11. Lynnette Brambrink says:

Trisha, today will be such a hard day for you and your family. Please remember to surround yourself with family and friends to help you through this terrible heartbreaking time. Love is out there for you. Take advantage of all that love. Take one day at a time and you will get through this hard time. Thinking of you and yours always, Lynnette Brambrink

12. Valerie says:

May heart so much aches for your family. A person needs to realize just how rotten some of those bridges are to cross. Look to our good Lord for strength to get you through today & the days ahead. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

13. Santhana Krishnan says:

I came across this page and I felt really sorry for you. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Be strong and GOD be with you. GOD will answer all our prayers.

14. paab says:

Any Wells Fargo Bank?

15. Ash says:

Any Wells Fargo can add money to these types of accounts.

16. Julie Phenicie says:

My Thoughts & prayers go out to the Jensen family. May you find faith and comfort in the lord.

17. Skippy says:

Any Wells Fargo bank will do, I already donated what I was going to spend for my kids this Christmas after talking to my kids.

18. Diane says:

Troy is now in a place where his prayers will count even more. He will be Nathans gaurdian angel.

19. NL says:

Job 1:21, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart”.
    All that we are and ALL that we have, has been given to us by the Almighty.
    I struggle with this notion every day, but I am still learning.

20. SONAYIDA says:

DIOS DERRAME MUCHA BENDICIONES A LA FAMILIA DIOS NO DA CARGA QUE EL SABE QUE PODEMOS CARGAR,, ES MUY FUERTE PERO TODO TIENEN UN PROPOSITO ESPERO QUE DIOS HAGA EL MILAGRO, VIRGEN MAARIA TU ERES MADRES IGUAL QUE NOSOTRAS PROTEJELOS