Pawlenty Says He Leaves Minn. With Balanced Budget

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Departing Gov. Tim Pawlenty says he will leave Minnesota with a balanced budget, despite a projected $6.2 billion shortfall facing the state after his term ends.

The likely Republican presidential candidate reacted Thursday to a state budget forecast showing $399 million on the bottom line in June, followed by a gaping financial hole starting in July.

Pawlenty’s term is due to end in early January, unless a court contest over the undecided governor’s race keeps him in office longer.

The two-term governor says his plan to control government spending and stop tax increases has worked and the next budget is “manageable” through spending cuts. Pawlenty says the practice of forecasting automatic spending increases is “ridiculous and irrational.”

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. RippedOFF In MN says:

T-Paw my man____ share oh share that magical Kool-Aid lexir that you drink please.

Your gimicks have amazed me for years but this one o’ Noble SuperDud is the best one yet.
    I want a gallon of it sir if that’ll keep me lost for 8 years. If you drank more then I need the identical amount. Thank you.

1. Erica Gates D says:

~WELL SPOKEN.

2. Frazzled Citizen says:

I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, “I wonder what’s in the Kool-Aid at the Republican Conventions?” is the first thing that went through my mind at the headline.

I hope they have lots of that Kool-Aid, because EVENTUALLY The People are going to come out of their apathy and realize how bad things are and demand change that doesn’t involve lining the pockets of the Rich and the Megacorporations…

2. Dave Seavy says:

Obviously T Paw never attended math classes. How can anybody say with a straight face – that the budget will be balanced? He must think we’re all stupid. And I can’t wait to see how many heads roll over the pardon situation. Everyone will be held responsible except for TP – what a joke.

3. dunnki57 says:

The guy leaves the state with a projected $6.2 billion deficit and he’s “bragging” about a balanced budget created by tax shifts to counties and citioes, robbing from school districts, protecting the richest Minnesotans and we’re suppose to buy his BS about leaving with a balanced budget?

Incredible. What a delusional, self serving ass.

4. voge45 says:

Dunnki57’s comment is right on. Well said.

5. Ignorance must be bliss says:

Did he just say this and not know what he was talking about? This guy has no chance becoming Pres if he cannot do simple math. It will be fun watching him get his butt chewed out if he ever goes into a debate though. I look forward to reading and watching the murder of his career.

6. KP says:

Pawlenty has attempted to keep spending down, you cannot argue against that, however Minnesota is still a massive “Welfare State” with redundant and easily exploited social services programs.

That is why we have a budget deficit, we spends billions on lazy, irresponsible people who put absolutely nothing back into the system.

1. St Paul says:

KP – Could you name just 100 names for me of these lazy, irresponsible people who put absolutely nothing back into the system? I’ll be waiting. Thank you.

7. don says:

what is his problem does he really think he has friends

8. care says:

typical of a republican. Screw everything up and leave if for the next person to figure it out!! He actually believes that he did good, thats the scarey part! As far as him being president, thats a laugh!!