Explosion Levels Home In Circle Pines

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Crews are investigating a home explosion that happened Friday afternoon in Circle Pines, Minn.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 12 Circle Drive around 1:25 p.m.

Circle Pines Fire Chief Jerry Streich said there was a smell of gas prior to the explosion, and he confirmed that the gas was turned on in the house.

Streich said that gas is a possible cause, but they have a lot to investigate before they can say anything definitively.

The home was completely destroyed, but luckily was vacant and unoccupied at the time.

A neighbor said it was like there was “an earthquake” behind her.

WCCO-TV’s Bill Hudson Reports

More from Bill Hudson

1. Jim Johnson says:

I lived in that house during 1955 – l960. A strugling blue collar community built on a sand desert with leaking septic tanks and shallow wells. Cheap living. Nothing down no payment the first monthe and 85.dollars a monthe taxes, principal and interest. FUn place in the 50s.

Jim Johnson

2. Pete says:

I saw it on my way home sitting on Lexington and Lake Drive. Big cloud of smoke and a bang. Glad nobody was inside.

3. Tommy Mantooth says:

I lived in that house for 12 years and it broke my heart to see my childhood home in pieces like that.

4. Bob says:

I used to party with Jim Johnson at that house in the 50’s! He was a true party animal. Hate to see this horrible explosion, thank God nobody was inside.

5. Uriah Malinowski says:

I lived in that home through high school from 95 until 98. We had a lot of great memories there. The Malinowskis will never forget our time there.

6. Lindbecks says:

My husband and I lived in that house from 1977 until 1986. It was cozy to say the least, but a great neighborhood and location.

7. Juan Valdez says:

I lived in that house for several years enjoying all the other people who lived there while I did, partying with the Johnsons, Lindbecks, Malinowskis, and others.

8. Chester Carlson says:

I remember Juan Valdez, he was known as the neighborhood coffee guy. His mule was always pooping in our yards and running wild. Still Juan was a great friend and had a great moustache, and was a well known lover to the neighborhoods women.

9. Kayla says:

I saw this happen while I was on my way to my next class at the highschool. I was walking with some friends and there there was a big bang and a big cloud of black smoke rose up. Im very glad no one was hurt.

10. Me says:

I lived there one year ago, I am glad the they moved when they did.