Man Gets 3 1/2 Years For St. Paul Bat Attack

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A 21-year-old man was sentenced Monday to 3 1/2 years in prison for the baseball bat attack of a good Samaritan in St. Paul.

Ahmed Farah Hirsi pleaded guilty in November to aiding and abetting second-degree assault. Forty-year-old Edwin Daniel suffered a severe head injury during the May 25 assault.

He drove an airport shuttle for a St. Paul hotel and regularly visited a SuperAmerica. A few days before the assault, he defended a female clerk who was being harassed by a group of men.

The same men allegedly went after Daniel, with several wielding baseball bats.

Hirsi was one of four charged and the last to be sentenced. The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that police are seeking a fifth man, but none of his co-defendants has disclosed his identity.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. jon says:

How precious
    Another “Ward” of the nanny state us taxpayers have to support.
    But alas – I do realize the “Potential” for the compassionate vote our politicians
    were seeking for when THEY allowed these mad dogs to start imigrating

Realize – They’re not your Daddy’s imigrants from 100 years ago.
    Our system was broke long ago.
    They now move here to be supported, not to help support.

1. Sam says:

None of the original immigrants ever came here to support America. Open your high school textbook. They only came to America for the opportunity to become rich because of the “free” land that was being offered. Free land that was stolen from the Native Americans. Columbus was only interested in settling because of hopes of finding gold and riches.

1. LT says:

you also need to open your text books Sam Columbus was not only intrested in finding gold and riches. He found this country by mistake. But if you paid attention in history you would know he wanted his freedom from the queen of england

2. joe says:

only 3.5 years????? god help us.

1. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

” Forty-year-old Edwin Daniel suffered a severe head injury during the May 25 assault”

SEVERE HEAD INJURY. Sounds much more like attempted murder to me. What was he convicted of, assault? Assault with a deadly weapon with intent should be the minimum charge. 15 years, no parole. Do the crime, do the time.

3. Phil says:

@Jon…..AMEN!!!! How is it they can get 3.5 years for beating someone with a baseball bat? They should either get 10-15 years…or get the same treatment they gave that guy.

Totally agree…these arent the immigrants from 100 years ago. Where are the parents? They come here and turn their children loose to play “american gangsta” on our city streets? Why does that community find this kind of action acceptable from your youth? And if you dont…then stand up for a change and stop being COWARDS!!! Lets us hear how you dont condone this action….but again we hear nothing from their community “leaders”. These people are dispicable examples of human beings…they (the individuals who beat that man) are less than human….mad dogs!!

4. Disappointed says:

3 1/2 years is all he got??? He’ll serve 1 1/2 and then be out and prolly back in jail down the road which will be another waste of taxpayer money for another trial and who knows what kind of damage he’ll do to the next person.

1. LRT says:

i’m sorry you are wrong The DOC allows 1/3 of your sentance to be deducted for “good behavior” so you calculate it they will get 14motnhs deducted and serve 28 or 2yrs and 4months

5. John says:

I here people on here all the time say ” Why do you need to carry a gun – The police will protect you” Tell that to this poor guy who got his head smashed in for trying to defend a woman. All I know is I wish these 5 Dogs would have came after me. That would have been 5 less low lifes to have to pay to keep in jail and 5 less thugs to have hurt anyone ever again!!!!

1. tiredandretired says:

Unfortunately, it would also probably mean a long prison sentence for you.

1. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

John – A Conceal and Carry is not a liscence to kill. You shoot 5 people that have bats and seem, appear, try to hurt you, you got a lot of problems all the sudden.

2. John says:

tiredandretired and Crux of the biscuit

If 5 men come at me with Baseball bats I’m going to use deadly force to defend myself. It’s called self defense. If by chance I am charged with a crime I’ll take my chance with a jury trial. I think the chances of one member of the jury having been a victim of a crime by thugs like these is pretty good.

2. Sam says:

Good call John, you’re right because when seconds count the police are just minutes away. And Retired, as far as a long prison sentence, I would rather take my chances with a possible prison sentence than a life time in a wheelchair or a coma because some thug was able to hit me in the head with a baseball bat because I didn’t have the means to protect myself.

6. tiredandretired says:

I agree that these guys should each get a longer sentence. They also should each serve the equivalent of a second sentence that would have been assigned to the person that they are protecting. Don’t want to “rat out” your buddy? Then, do his time!

7. Mike says:

God hell us! Because he was Somali they gave him a short sentence, or else we would be called racist, this state is really becoming sickening!!

1. Tou says:

Welcome to the new state of California.

2. max says:

People of color statistically get harsher sentences than whites. I agree that his sentence is much too short, but it’s ludicrous to suggest that immigrants get special treatment from our justice system.

8. Jessica says:

Well said Jon!!

9. Burning Thunder says:

How about they get beaten with a bat!?!? That would teach them a lesson. But then again, God willl take care of them in the end…

10. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

What a joke, what a waste of eprint. If these guys were white they would have been charged with a hate crime and do a much longer sentence. Our courts don’t represent the victims!!!

11. me says:

who belongs to this country who s not can any one tell me and who qualified telling pple they r not welcome in this country

12. scott says:

Only 3.5 years? Liberal judge? Incompetent prosecutor? They have no problem locking non-violent offenders up ten years or more. This is an example of everything that is wrong with the judicial system.

13. Billy says:

I tell ya , stories on the news like this make me more racist than ever.

14. Billy says:

America sure is not what it used to be, those days are looong dead and gone.

15. Me-disliker says:

Mr./Mrs. Me, what ever you are, maybe you should take advantage of our education system so you can learn to spell. Otherwise go back where you came from. How come these bastards don’t have to learn our language or pass some kind of IQ test before they’re let in? I’m really sick of having to have labels, directions, etc., etc., written in 5 languages just to appease the liberals. When my ancestors got off the boat, they knew what they had to do.
    Hey, thanks for letting me vent. Am I alone?

1. Phil says:

Absolutely not alone. I thought the same thing when I read that “me” comment.

16. Me-disliker says:

Mr./Mrs. Me, what ever you are, maybe you should take advantage of our education system so you can learn to spell. Otherwise go back where you came from. How come these b@st@rds don’t have to learn our language or pass some kind of IQ test before they’re let in? I’m really sick of having to have labels, directions, etc., etc., written in 5 languages just to appease the liberals. When my ancestors got off the boat, they knew what they had to do.
    Hey, thanks for letting me vent. Am I alone?

17. Billy says:

Hey people, don’t sweat it.
    The guy he beat with a bat was from Somalia just like him and the judge knew it, thats why he got such little time in prison.

18. me says:

am still waiting answer

1. John says:

Me

Go get a 4th grader to Re-write you response and someone may answer you. I have no idea what you said!!!

2. Phil says:

You sir…..are a MORON!!! You only help perpetuate the sterotypes of minorities being stupid and too lazy to learn English. If you want to make a difference….keep you mouth SHUT!!!

19. Allah is coming to town says:

Deport….I am done paying for this garbage! Send Mohamed Muhamed Nahamed over….I will teach him some respect….