Police: Arrest Made In St. Paul Beating Death

By Caroline Lowe, WCCO-TV and Telly Mamayek, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A 49-year-old man was arrested Wednesday afternoon in connection with the beating death of a man whose body was found in his St. Paul home, according to police.

deanporter Police: Arrest Made In St. Paul Beating Death

(credit: Ramsey County Sheriff's Department)

Authorities say investigators took Dean Joseph Porter into custody without incident shortly before 3 p.m. in Ramsey.

The victim, 69-year-old William Shocinski, was found dead inside the home at 764 Como Ave. around 8 p.m. on Tuesday.

He suffered blunt force injuries to his head, face and arms. Police believe he was beaten to death.

Porter is victim’s stepson and lived with him in the home, according to police.

Police were called to the home to check on Shocinski’s welfare after his daughter reported that family members have been unable to reach him since Dec. 14.

Police said the motive remains unclear.

The St. Paul Police Crime Lab spent time collecting evidence from the scene and they think they have recovered the murder weapon.

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner is conducting an autopsy.

Police are not looking for any additional suspects.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Telly Mamayek Reports

WCCO-TV’s Caroline Lowe Reports

Comments

1. Paula says:

how sad is this… totally senseless! I will be sharing this story on my facebook in hopes that we can catch the murderer!

1. chad says:

did you read this article. it says they arrested the man without incident. they just dont know motive. hello….

2. Marri says:

Truly sensless I suspect also – what upsets me is he’s out “out of contact” since the 14th. 69 years of age. That is 8 days.
    Hello – anyone out there?

1. CLARENCE says:

It’s only 8 days!!….Don’t have a cow over it.

3. friend of family says:

Please do not leave comments or thoughts on this story as the article is not accurate. Please respect the family privacy at this time. Thank you

1. Paula says:

Something is weird if he was not contacted since December 14, 2010. Wonder if the family knows something but they don’t want to say. Sounds suspicious to me.

2. Clarence says:

Who are you that you’re going to tell people here to “shut up”??

4. friend of family says:

Please remove this comment facts that you have commented on are not accurate and this is very hurtful. Thank you

1. Jaylee1700 says:

No one has said anything hurtful. The comments have offered condolenses and stated why no one had contacted the person since Dec 14th. Seems like a reasonable question to ask. If the date is incorrect to your knowledge then WCCO should remove the story.

2. Clarence says:

Hey, “friend of the family”? please remove yourself from telling eveyone what to do or say on this forum-it’s public, and you’re very annoying!!

5. BettyBoob says:

Well – maybe the comment(s) made on the family contact matter may/would have not been made if the accuracy in reporting this was correct. As it reads one wonders were the family was – if it’s wrong then I think an apology from ‘cco might be in order. Just a thought

6. BettyBoob says:

And I forgot to reply to what I wanted to – my heart and thoughts go out to all involved.
    May they catch and literally hang the perp(s) involved.

7. M Johnson says:

I agree with “friend of family”. I lost my father a few years ago at the age of 60. Sensitive issues kept us out of contact for periods of time and he passed away during one of those times. It’s unfortunate that people have anything to say other than words of sympathy for the family. Some are so quick to place judgment on a situation they know so little about.
    Picking up the phone and calling your own loved ones would be a better use of your time than criticizing this family.

1. Clarence says:

The so-called “friend of the family” has no right to tell anyone ANYTHING!!

2. JamieinMN says:

And here YOU are doing exactly what “friend of the family” asked people NOT to do…dummy.

8. Chelsey Little says:

If there is false information being reported. Take the PROPER procedure and CONTACT WCCO about it.

9. Chelsey Little says:

If there is information that is not accurate, please, take the PROPER procedure and contact wcco about it. They only report what information they were informed of. If it is not accurate, correct them.

On another note, my sympathy goes out to the family.

10. Sandy says:

This is such a sad story. Please do get this corrected if this story is not right. Prayers go out to the family

11. Anita Powell says:

Why would one be upset with what was said? Sheesh – I even call my older neighbors if I don’t see activity for a day. Maybe I am overly protective of people but better that than not caring I believe.
    I feel for the family and hope the article was in fact not accurate.

12. doesnt matter says:

Actually Clarence you are the one that is annoying. you have commented on more people’s comments then anyone here and with nothing but negativity. So think about it. and why don’t you give the family the respect that they deserve and stay out of it! Obviously the news only throws details that are dramatized into the mix so that you will actually sit there and say “OH my god” or come onto the forums and harass people.

13. Tom says:

Tom
    Clarence YOU need to go through your pc off a bridge FOOL!

14. Jim S. says:

There’s really nothing to say until there is a follow up story. We don’t know anything except that a murder occurred, a suspect is in custody, no add. suspects, and authorities are on the job. I try not to speculate, even though I just watched, “Fargo” again and one’s imagination can get carried away…

15. Jennifer says:

What goes around, comes around!!
    Bill beat my mom for 8 years when I was a child. I thought she was dead many times from the abuse!! To friend of the family: If you don’t like what people are saying, don’t read!

1. time to be real says:

Come on CCO for allowing lies and comments like Jennifer’s. Where are the facts?