19-Month-Old In Critical Condition, 1 Arrested

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Olivia Police said a baby is in critical condition after suffering significant injuries at the hand of another.

Police were called to a home in Olivia, Minn. around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday when they got a call about an unresponsive 19-month-old.

The child was brought to Renville County Hospital then later flown to St. Paul Children’s Hospital where she remains in critical condition Thursday.

Police arrested a person in connection with the incident. They are being held at the Renville County Jail.

Their identity is being withheld until they’re formally charged. A judge has issued an extension for filing charges and they are expected to come on or before Dec. 29.

Olivia Police Department and the Renville County Sheriff’s Office continue to investigate.

Comments

1. Edn says:

This makes me just sick. For too long I see this happening to children, only to find out later that the parent or significant other just snapped or couldn’t handle it, only to just get a slap on the wrist. When are we going to stand up and say — NO MORE ABUSE!! Do it, you are in jail permanently — or it is your turn to suffer the same fate!

1. AS says:

I couldn’t agree more! I know it’s stressful sometimes with kids, but that’s what you sign on for by having a child! And you can always just step away…take a breather. I’m not saying leave a child unattended, but step back, even if you are in the same room as you should be with a 19 month old…ask yourself, is it really worth being this upset about???

1. Hope says:

Yeah, that is horribly sad.. People who hurt kids like that should be sterilized.. That is just heartbreaking- What on earth could any child do to have that happen- Children are blessings from God and should be treated as such.. just so sad… I just hope the baby makes it out alive and okay… and that WHOEVER hurt that baby gets CHARGED GOOD!

2. Al says:

There is absolutely NO excuse that could justify this!! But you watch, the person MIGHT get probation. Children are our future and our hope. They are
    a precious gift. They should be treated as such!!!!

3. KTB says:

How about connecting parents to the support that they need to be good parents? We don’t know the story- it’s sad and difficult to continue reading these kinds of headlines. Tell your legislator about the importance of home visiting, and helping to support parents prenatally through age three…. I can guarantee we’d see a dramatic drop in headlines like these if we had statewide home visiting system to help support all parents.

1. I Disagree says:

I don’t need the state dropping in on me at any given time to “help” me parent. That isn’t their job. And I certainly don’t want them here. I am not doing anything wrong, but the less time under a government microscope the better. They don’t need to regulate my life.

2. thekhanvict says:

If you need the state to help you parent then the state shouldn’t allow you to have children.

3. Mom of 2 says:

Even if the state comes in for visits, they cannot be there everyday. People like this cannot change. I’m sorry to say it, but as a mother, you get stressed out sometimes. Never, never, never, have I ever thought of harming either of my children for anything! I agree there should be more help for parents to reach out to if they are in need, but state visits is not what they need.

4. Troy says:

Mandatory execution should be the minimum sentence for any violent crime against a child.

1. Shelley says:

I STRONGLY AGREE TROY…

5. Momma of 2 says:

Prayers for this sweet, innocent child. May God wrap you in His loving arms and heal you.

6. MD says:

As it is stated above, mommy or daddy will say she/he is sorry and it will never happen again and our courts will return her to them. Of course this is if she survives. I wonder if a stranger broke into the house and beat the child into a critical condition could say they were sorry and walk away unpunished. I am also wondering what the family is thinking. More than likely they are feeling sorry for the beater. Maybe she or he just lost their job at Burger King due to an inability to catch on and was feeling down. I am least hoping the little girl put up a good fight defending herself. Oh, Merry Christmas.

1. CONCERNED says:

UR A LOW LIFE WHO WROTE THAT COMMENT -WHAT IF THAT WAS YOY OR UR KID SHES 19 MONTHS OLD -DEFENDING HER SELF I HOPE U ROTT IN HELL ALONG WITH THE ONE THAT HURT THAT LITTLE GIRL

2. Minnesota says:

YOU ARE A TOTAL IDIOT!!! UNREAL

7. DHM says:

KTB has a good point. We need more things to spend our taxes on.

8. G.S says:

The little girl isn’t even the beater’s kid…It’s his girlfriends child..What a f’n loser.. Hopefully this man gets the same treatment in prison! There’s no room in this world for a waste of space like him…
    What do you expect from dirtballs in the ghetto?? My god..

1. Kieron says:

How do you know all this about the perp? Some other story you can point to?

Olivia, MN, is the heart of the ghetto, in your estimation. Wow. Need to get out more, maybe?

9. getridofem says:

Have said time and again there is a cure for slim-balls like this, a 357 to the back of the block of wood on their shoulders—- oh by the way, they tried to escape from custody—–

10. Emlee says:

GS – since when is Olivia “the ghetto”?
    Thekhanvict – the state isn’t allowed to regulate your ability to have kids. The schools aren’t allowed to teach contraception or reproductive biology. Health care plans aren’t required to pay for contraceptives and pharmacists aren’t required to dispense them even when prescribed. We’ve lost most of the parenting education in schools, too. We in MN are fortunate to have ECFE built into our education system, but most programs are for kids and their parents a bit older than this little victim.
    KTB has the right idea – most parents feel alone and overwhelmed. Studies prove the most effective long-term crime prevention we can do is prenatal through age 2 home visits by trained public health personnel and educators to at-risk mothers. They might also spot the signs of abusive adult relationships and refer for assistance before a crisis like this hits.

11. me says:

Let me tell you something…it’s NOT always the parents fault but rather a relative or babysitter. Yes, even a baby sitter can be at fault. When I was a child, my parents were great parents.. They had someone they thought they could trust (with an outstanding background and degree in child care) babysit me. This person was beyond abusive…and My parents were left holding the bag…I was taken away from my parents because they decided on night to go out and spend some adult time together. Yes..my parents never abused me, the babysitter did but my parents were blamed for it.
    So tell me dear society…why is it that parents are always the first to get the blame..without even so much as an investigation. Because let me tell you, I am still bitter to this day for CPS taking me away from Parents who were oustanding simply because there was no proof the babysitter did it, when in fact she did do it. Fourty Years later, I am here to tell you..my parents did not abuse me…the babysitter did. Do I get compensation for that mistake from society? Do I get the time lost from false accusations, back with my parents? No..what needs to happen is people need to STOP Judging without evidence.

1. Heart to Heart says:

I am so sorry that you and your parents had to go through that. I will always remember what you shared. Pray and reach to God and keep resisting the evil that is so prevalent around us. I myself wish that I had been taken away from my mother cause she was insane and did the unspeakable.

12. Kathy Carter says:

I just had to report a situation of child abuse against someone I know., At first I was scared they would retaliate but I knew it was something I had to do for the child’s sake. I am still a bit scared because of the investigation but I was willing to step in and help. I pray to God I did the right thing as I am sure I did. But it is a hard thing to do. I love this child as my own grandchild and will probably never see him again but if it helps him to have a better life then it was worth it.

13. sam says:

Kathy, I’m sure what you did took great courage and I hope that because of you this child’s life will be all the better. Thank you.

14. whatever says:

I am the father of a 4 month old boy and I will never understand how anyone could do harm to something so helpless and Innocent.. take em out back and do the same thing they did to that baby nothing less..

15. Michelle says:

It makes me sick how many times you see these types of stories in the news lately. What is wrong with people? I will never understand how someone can harm children. I am a mother so I know your patience can be tested but how can you want to physically hurt a child and put them in critical condition or worse? Disgusting. I only hope the person that did this meets the same fate.

16. mwern says:

Sad, sad, sad! Don’t be surprised if it’s the “Boyfriend”, of the Mother and not the child’s Father.
    I frequent a couple of websites and I cannot tell you how many times this is the scenario.
    The child is always the last priority and the Mother’s act as though they aren’t to blame for allowing this abuser into the home. Please, I have a real hard time believing that they weren’t privy to some form of abuse.
    I hope they rot in _ell!
    Get well you little Doll❤

1. Maude says:

or the mother … not as often but lately we have seen so much more of the breakdown on all sides. Regardless — hang the SOB involved

2. why says:

it IS the boyfriend, actually.

17. M.E.Harvey says:

New parents need to know it is OK to put a crying infant in a crib and leave the room to get a break, not a long break, but one which may keep the child safe. If you feel overwhelmed and angry a child will not stop crying, putting the child in a crib and walking away may be the wisest parental decision you ever make.

18. KJM says:

They haven’t released the abuser’s name. WHY NOT? His Rights might be abused. What about the `19 month old little Angel’s rights . If He or She are innocent then there should be no problem.about their rights. There is way too much lead way that get abuser soff the hook

19. rip_tiana says:

i am a friend of the family of this precious little angel and she passed away this morning from her injuries. I sincerely hope the person who did this gets th utmost punishment. R.I.P. Tianna. We love you baby girl!

1. kara says:

so she did die? i heard she was still alive, but just barely. we live close to the mom. There are alot of people around here praying for both of them, and especially baby Tiana. Such a terrible tragedy in this terrible town.

20. rip_tiana says:

She hasnt died but they took her off life support and she is brain dead.

21. friend says:

she has NOT died….she is still being supported by machines and has many IVs…the outlook is bad of course…it upsets me that people say things that they heard from someone that heard from someone…..people should make sure that what they say is fact and from the source…theres not need to cause more emotional pain and confusion in than there already is

22. friend says:

I know and love Tina and her baby Tiana. I have only been blessed with meeting her one time and that’s because we live far apart. This baby girl is so precious. What he did to her is horrible and nothing can take this pain away from Tiana, Tina and her brother Mekiel. He was not her parent. He was just watching her so her mom could make a living. You would think you could trust your boyfriend. NOw she is on life support and fighting to live. Everyone who wants to blame her mother should be with the person who did this to her. It was not her fault. Why are people putting RIP? She is not dead. She is still fighting for her life, which a innocent baby should not have to do. Please, pray for a miracle to happen. This family deserves it.

23. Concerned says:

I cannot imagine what this family is going through right now. This is a horrible thing that happened and I agree the abuser should be punished. However, the family does not need to read comments on here about blame, choosing her boyfriend over her child, that CPS should have been out to make sure she was a good parent. The family needs prayers and well wishes, not negativity. God places all of us on this earth with a purpose and a certain amount of time. Therefore, if he decides it is her time, there is reason behind it and he must need her more in heaven then we need her here. I hope for all the best for this family.

24. Minnesota says:

BOY WOULD i LOVE TO STOMP ON THIS MUDDER FUDDERS HEAD!!!

1. Gerald Brower says:

IF YOU DONT HAVE NOTHING PLANED FOR THE HOLIDAYS THERE ALWAYS JAIL FOR THE LOW LIFE HOW HURT THAT LITTLE GIRL!!!!!!!!

1. CONNIE says:

The SOB DESERVES EVERYTHING HE GETS AND THEN SOME

2. Joyce says:

BOY WOULD I LOVE TO WATCH YOU DO IT !!!

25. Minnesota says:

Come to think of it I have nothing better to do today than go to Olivia and get myself thrown in jail so I can educate this lowest form of life on the proper way to take care of helpless little baby!! see ya after the holidays

26. disgusted says:

this saddens me to my core. I am still in disbelief that this happened to such a precious little girl. And i do blame the mother for the fact that there had been previous abuse allegations against her and her so called bf so she isnt completely innocent. I wonder where cps was when this child was being hurt on several occasions. I am praying she pulls through.

27. r simmonds says:

hello,,i want to tell you about this little girl ,,she came to our family reuion,and she was happy ,playing with the wee ones,she smiled ,laugh,she hug ,she was a cuttie,,the person who did this will live with this sin ,i want the mother to remember,the good days ,the happy days,because the wee ones have no sins,,and i hope GOD comes and put his arms out and say ,come with me and have no pain ,and you are welcome in my kingdom

28. c doria says:

this saddens me that this lil girl suffered at the hands of another person. she was a baby, she should be playing with her baby dolls, toys, coloring, opening xmas gifts, playing with all her new toys and stuff not fighting for her life. No one ever imagines something happening to their child or in their family. the family is in our thoughts

29. Richard Jacobsen says:

We live in Olivia, and are sickened by this tragedy of domestic violence. Our prayers are with those first responders who were touched by this senseless crime. It hits too close to home for those who have grown up in a home where there was violence agaisnt defenseless women and children, and those who observed domestic violence.

30. Jerome says:

Please people we cant speculate what happened in this situation and leaving your twoo cents is not only counter produtive its just wrong I can speak on this because Im related to the mother. I to saw this little child at our family reunion I saw inocense and love and a helpless little sole looking for love and compassion and understanding in a very big world. ANd for the record commenting about him only gives him power over the situation fame if you wwill dont do that please

31. AUNTIE DONNA says:

I AM TINAS AUNT I WILL TELL YOU THIS TINA WOULD NOT HURT A SOUL SHE WOULD DIE FOR ANY ONE SO U JERKS OUT THERE THAT SAYS SHE WILL NEEDS TO BACK OFF SHE LOVES HER CHILDREN WITH EVERY INCH OF HER SELF SHE IS HURTING SO BAD RIGHT NOW SHE NEEDS SUPPORT AND YES TIANNA DID PASS AWAY

32. Leann says:

Those of you whom say bad about this mother should be ashamed of yourselves! This woman just lost her child! Have you NEVER been decieve?! Have you never thought someone trustworthy to find out different? Blame the person who did this not the person whom I’m sure would have changed this if she had known it would happen! My thoughts and prayers are with this family. She was a beautiful baby girl. Rest in peace Tianna.

33. Ryan says:

God bless you and rest in peace little Tianna. You are certainly God’s newest angel in heaven. There is no more pain little one. I am praying for your mother and the rest of your family. Please give them a sign that you are safe.

34. east side says:

I just wanted to say that the piece of crap poor excuse of a human being is going to pay dearly for what he did to this poor little angel… I hope that justice is served whether it being thru the law system or by the justice in life.. my thoughts and prayers go out to Tiana’s father.. I couldn’t imagine losing a child and im sure his heart is broken.. prayers to the moore/smith families..

35. JIMMY says:

TINA LOVED HER BABY MORE THEN LIFE ITSELF TAKE IT FROM ME IM HER BROTHER SHE WOULD OF GIVEN HER OWN LIFE TO BRING TIANA BACK OR STOP WHAT HAPPENED TO HER THEY FOUND HER CLOTHES IN THE GARBAGE HE GAVE HER A BATH AFTER SHE HAD A FRACTURE SKULL THATS ALREADY PROVEN FACTS WAITED FOR TINA TO GET HOME AND WENT IN THERE AND SAID SOMETHING WRONG SHES THROWING UP IT TAKES A SICK PERSON TO DO WHAT HE DID AND A EVEN SICKER PERSON TO SAY ITS HER FAULT IN THIS TIME OF TRAGEDY U WANT SOMEBODY TO BLAME HIS NAMES TURRUBIATES, SERGIO AND HES ALREADY DEAD HE JUST DONT KNOW IT YET

36. Amber says:

A sad situation for all. God is watching over all. Everyone with so much hate and anger is no better than (him)

1. Minnesota says:

SHUT UP AMBER !!! YOU FULL BLOWN IDIOT!! GOD CAN HAVE WHATS LEFT OVER THAT IS IF HE WANTS IT

37. tinas brother says:

me being mad at him for killing my neice makes me no better then him god watching over all all who hes watching over sergio your an idiot and u should do us all a favor and mind your own business if it doesent concern you

38. ELMO says:

THIS IS ELMO TINA’S SISTER AND 4 ALL U STUPID PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO DONT KNOW WHAT THEY R TALKING BOUT NEED 2 CUM FIND ME AND WE CAN HANDLE THIS LIKE ADULTS DONT TALK STUFF BOUT MY FAMILY MY SISTER NEEDS LOVE AND SUPPORT RITE NOW JUST LIKE HER DADDY AND IF U HAVE A PROBLEM PLEASE HIT ME UP U KNOW WHO I AM AND WEAR I B FIND ME I LOVE MY SISTER TINA AND MY NEICE TIANA HIS NAME IS SERGIO JR FIND HIM WE LOVE YOU TINA VERY MUCH AND IM HERE 4 U WINEVER U NEED ME I LOVE YOU AND WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU R.I.P. TIANA 4/27/2009-12/24/2010

39. disgusted says:

i am soo heartbroken that another innocent life has been taken. As far as this sergio goes he will get whats coming to him. Tiana would still be here if it werent for him but this wasnt the first time he abused this child so im really having a hard time believing that tina had no idea he was abusive. As for her bro y r u leakin details of this on the internet?? the police r investigating this and dont want the public to know everything! r.i.p. Baby tiana u will b missed

1. SAD SAD says:

no it wasnt the first time he put his hands on that baby. So who else is gonna be held accountable for this tragedy. Didnt the dad go to jail for beating him up because he also suspected abuse.

1. friend says:

Where are you getting your info?

2. Heather says:

I know they did drugs over there, the father should of had those kids.

3. friend says:

Ok. Heather? Again how in the hell do you know that? Where do you people get your info? Tina was a good mom.

4. Heather says:

I have seen it!!!!! Doing drugs and drinking is not a good parent

2. tiana aunty says:

our baby girl tiana taken from us.please donate to help with funeral and headstone cost.you can donate at hometown bank 1115 w lincoln ave olivia mn 56277 320-523-2040

FUKK U U STUPID KEEP YO NASTY COMMENTS 2 YOSELF OR U WILL B NEXT LIKE HIM

40. Olivian says:

This story makes my heart hurt.. I dont understand how someone could be so angry at a child and hurt them… I dont know the family, but I am from Olivia and my heart is just breaking for this mother.. God gained a beautiful angel…. sergio I hope justice is served on you!! YOU are worthless!!!

41. tina's sister says:

MY NEICES FOUNDATION IS AT
    HOMETOWN BANK
    OLIVIA,MN 56277
    320 523 2040
    TIANA MOORE FUND

42. ananymus says:

MY NEICES FOUNDATION IS AT
    HOMETOWN BANK
    OLIVIA,MN 56277
    320 523 2040
    TIANA MOORE FUND

mexican and blacks gang fighting, meth heads, stoled guns,shoplifters and now baby killers sorry o town im going back to minneapolis is safer and quieter

43. elmo says:

MY NEICES FOUNDATION IS AT
    HOMETOWN BANK
    OLIVIA,MN 56277
    320 523 2040
    TIANA MOORE FUND

44. Lynn says:

Please stop telling people it is none of their bussiness if you are putting it out on every site to get attetion! Your pathetic! It is about Tiana, RIP little angel.

1. friend says:

who are you talking about to stop putting info out there> People should be aware of this. This is such a horrible thing. If you don’ t like what you’re reading, don’t read it.

45. Jared says:

Being that I am from Olivia it is really bothersome that people think this town is nothing but a bad town.. there are bad people in this town but that is in everytown. There are alot of good poeple in Olivia. This is not a dangerous town!!! RIP Tiana!

46. Elmo Hayes says:

47. Lisa says:

RIP Tiana Moore.

48. Family Works says:

All u people that r havn such a gud tme bashn/hating on the suspect r obviously sik. Wudnt that make u equal 2 wat u say about him? Mayb if u put all yr spare time in2 suportn the famly n this sad time the rite way. Bashn/threatn sum1 makes u NO BETTER. “JUDGE YE LEST YE B JUDGED”. God is very unhapy wit all of u; 2 wrongs dnt make a rite. He wil have 2 anser 2 a highr power not 2 u all. U people r not gud. I have prayd 4 tiana but i am prayn more 4 u all cuz u need it @ least she is n a hapier/betr place away from such poison of the people who claim 2 have luvd her. GOD HELP U ALL