Fire Destroys Home Rented By 7

By Holly Wagner, WCCO-TV

NEW BRIGHTON, Minn. (WCCO) — A group of men who rent a house in New Brighton have to find a new place to live this Christmas Eve.

A fire started at around 3:00 a.m. Friday on the 700 block of First Avenue Northwest in New Brighton.

Seven men rent the house, though only four of them were home at the time. A few of them are college students at Bethel College.

Danny Kennedy said he and a roommate were watching a movie when they saw smoke on the top floor.

Kennedy says the fire started in the attic. He tried to put it out with a small fire extinguisher but it spread quickly.

Everyone got out safely.

Kennedy said a couple of his roommates lost everything. He was able to salvage some of his clothes and things. Kennedy said they’re not sure what caused the fire but he thinks it might have been an electrical issue.

None of the people who live there have renters insurance.

1. red says:

How unfortunate. Bless you his holiday season

1. cj brooks says:

Bless you? Are you kidding? How about DOING iinstead of TALKING? See what these young men need, then help to fill the need.

1. Rudolph says:

Hey, CJ. I don’t see you doing anything useful. Maybe the only thing Red has to offer at this point in time is a few words of sympathy. There’s no fund or anything set up for these people yet, so take a chill pill.
        Prayers to those who were affected by this fire.

2. kk says:

Geez, I guess it is not OK to express sympathy!! I have been thru this and kind words were very much appreciated! Someone needs to take a Pamprin.

3. Itsme says:

Rudolph, what do nyou mean, no fund set up. Why should there be? People, take care of yorseleves, buy insurance. Itr doesn’t take a genius.

1. rough says:

Yes, because college students have all kinds of excess money to spend on insurance for the slight chance of a house fire. Ideal, yes. Practical, not quite.

2. Kelso says:

Dude, pretty weak of you to say. These are some of the nicest dudes you will meet, who would have done anything to help you in this situation. It’s not their fault that no college student can afford tons of insurance. I hope you die in a fire.

4. Erik says:

Oh our poor departed Das, how you had such fond memories of you, but alas you are gone. What shale we do without you?

5. Lillie says:

I’m friends with some of the guys who live here, and they are some of the most amazing young men I’ve ever met. Such good memories at Das Hus. I’m so glad everyone is okay.

6. Joshua D Bau says:

An end of an era for certain, I’m thankful that memories are fireproof, in the next couple days we all need to get together and figure out how we can best help everyone recover. Let us know how we can help fellas, I’ll be in touch!!!

1. Cheena says:

An end of an era indeed! I have some really great memories from this home and all of you guys are great! You may have lost a lot of things, but you can never lose the friends and memories you have made! Look at all this support for you wonderful men🙂

2. Anthony Peterson says:

Agreed Joshua, very eloquently said as always. Guys currently as Das, let me know what you need. Call me, facebook me, anything.

7. James says:

Glad you’re all safe!!

8. stupid ads says:

I hate those popup ads on this website.

1. Ryan James Corrigan says:

Yeah, that’s almost as bad as LOSING EVERYTHING YOU OWN IN A HOUSE FIRE!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

1. Lillie says:

Hahaha! Touche, Ryan. I love you man.

2. das WHO? says:

these ads are paying for you to be able to read this article and post comments on it… and yes, they should have had renters insurance, most of them are out of college…

9. Faye says:

Has the Red Cross been contacted??? Or have then contacted these young men? They do have funds to assist them.

Maybe some of their family and friends could start a fund for them and post more information here.

I am thankful that they all got out of the home safely…

1. Danny Kennedy says:

any help is greatly appreciated… i hate to ask, but its the end of the line for us right now…

email for anything you need…

10. Jeanie Johnston says:

A fund has been set up for the “Das Hus Guys”.

Please come to CrossPoint Church at 10:00PM the Christmas Eve Candlelight Worship at 10936 Foley Blvd. Coon Rapids MN 55448. We will be taking a special offering to help the guys get back on their feet.

If you can’t attend, please feel free to mail checks made out to CrossPoint Church to the above address. Make sure you note someplace that this is for the Das Hus Guys.

Thanks everyone that can help!!

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at

11. Brian J Fanslau says:

Thank you for setting that up. We are trying to figure it all out yet. (I lived in the basement) I haven’t had a chance to see the damage yet and I am just super glad everyone is ok. It really does bite over Christmas.

12. Jackie P. says:

SO sorry guys!!😦
    Let me know if there is anything I can do!

13. Terilyn Kennedy says:

Cornerstone Church of Alexandria is setting up a fund to help these guys. You can go to their website where you can donate through paypal. This should be up within the next day or so. Thank you all for your concern and care. I thank the Lord for his protection for my son who lives in that house is alive and well.

1. Terilyn Kennedy says:

TThe fund will also be named “Das Hus Guys”

14. Sandra says:

Agree, hate the ads too, another reason to stop logging in and stick with! This new site sucks. Bye

15. Sky says:

I completely know how these guys feel. I only got back my apartement today after nearly losing everything a few weeks ago. Thankfully I have a landlord who rushed to get the apartments livable by Christmas. If I had more than words to offer, I would. You are in my thoughts and prayers! And- Merry Christmas and best of wishes for the New Year!!

16. Jolene says:

I started counting how many of us have lived in das, let alone walked through its doors. Das ypu will be missed. So glad God kept you guys safe. He will provide. Prayers for you guys.❤

17. Mel Johnson says:

Oh the memories..sad to see it go, but relieved everyone is safe for the holiday. Prayers go out for you, sorry this happened..Love you guys (and gals) and Merry Christmas!

18. Terry P says:

Das and the people I met there helped shape my life and who I am today, I will forever be grateful for every experience I had there. RIP Das Hus (2006-2010) This cannot be the end of something, just the start of something new

19. Eileen says:

Renters Insurance is so very important for anyone who is renting as the owners insurance DOES NOT COVER any of the belongings of the renters. I remind any of my friends who are renters to have themselves protected. I do feel sorry for the guys who lost everything or most of their things and I can bet that their next rental will be covered.

20. Terilyn Kennedy says:

A fund is now set up at the following website.
    Thank you so much for your generosity towards these guys.