COON RAPIDS, Minn. (WCCO) — It wasn’t exactly what they thought they would find inside one of their son’s Christmas presents. But the unwanted surprise hasn’t dampened the holiday spirits at the Henry home in Coon Rapids.
Alex Henry couldn’t wait to take his new truck out for a spin in the snow. But first, his mom wanted him to wear the new gloves he got from grandma for Christmas.
“I tried to put it on and I was shoving his hand in,” explained Pam Henry. “And he pulls his hand out and he’s holding his hand and he said there’s something in there.”
“I felt something sharp in there,” said Alex. “So I pulled it out and there was a 2-inch or 3-inch razor blade.”
“And I pulled this out and I could not believe it, I was like, ‘Are you serious?'” said Pam.
Alex’s grandma bought the gloves at a Wal-Mart in North Dakota where she lives. She had no idea what was hidden inside.
In fact, none of the adults could feel the blade from the outside of the cushy gloves. But Pam doesn’t think it got there by accident.
“It’s rusty, it’s used. Somebody sick put this in a child’s glove,” she said. “You always hear about having to check Halloween candy, but I would never ever think you have to check your child’s gloves.”
Alex and his mother just want to make sure other children don’t get hurt.
“It just blows my mind that that was in his glove,” said Pam. “It doesn’t ruin my Christmas spirit though.”
WCCO-TV contacted Wal-Mart and it is removing all similar gloves from the shelves at its store where the gloves were bought in Bottineau, N.D. A Wal-Mart spokesperson said the company wants to make sure all of its products are safe. They also said they have had no other reports of incidents like this and are encouraging customer to come back to the store or contact Wal-Mart Customer Care for a full refund.
Joan Gilbertson, Producer
WCCO-TV’s Reg Chapman Reports