What Would You Buy With A Mega Millions Jackpot?

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The odds of winning tonight’s Mega Millions jackpot are one in 176 million.

But that’s not stopping a lot of people from dreaming.

The odds are against you. Your chance of getting hit by lightning is about 1 in 700,000. So you’re 251 times more likely to be hit by lightning than you are to win the Mega Millions. But the hope of beating the odds — is a great feeling.

“It’s about the second time I ever brought a lottery ticket in my life, but you never know, this could be the lucky one,” said Roxie Hudak.

And Hudak’s not alone.

“Everybody’s got lotto fever. It’s nuts. With over $300 million, you really don’t see that  a lot in lotteries, so everybody is gunning for it,” said Michelle Beuthling at Bobby and Steve’s in Minneapolis.

You could do a lot of good with all that money. With meals costing about $1.92 at the Union Gospel Mission, you could buy more than 18 million dinners.

“My own church needs money and a lot of other churches need money, because it’s been a tough year, so I’d put it where it really counts,” said Don Ainsworth.

The winner could also fix the roof on the dome. It will cost about $15 million to repair it, so you could foot the bill — more than 23 times.

“If I won, I would pay off our house, two houses and then take my parents on a trip,” said Kris Seelig.

If you really wanted to live it up, you could buy 98 Lamborghinis, at about $350,000 a ride.

But the price of a fun dream? Just a buck.

“I feel like it’s my lucky day,” said Hudak.

If you were lucky enough to win the jackpot and took the lump sum payment — after taxes you’d get about $135 million.

Sonya Goins, Producer
Contact Sonya

WCCO-TV’s Amelia Santaniello Reports

Comments

1. qryptik1 says:

I won, I won, I won… My boss can suck it!!!!!

2. Andy says:

I would pay off my house which is the only debt I have. Since I am only 29 years old I wouldn’t quit my job. I wouldn’t even let anyone other than my wife know I won it if I could keep it secret.

For fun I would probably buy a huge television and splurge on a DVR for the basement in addition to the one I have in the living room. I’d also buy a new cell phone and a top of the line laptop.

The rest I would probably put in CDs in a 3 different banks.

3. Andy says:

Scratch that last post. I thought it was if I won $1 million. If I won the jackpot listed above I would keep everything the same but I would definitely quit my job and live off the interest earned from the CDs.

4. Casey says:

I would quit my job, but I would not drop out of college. Knowledge is power. Money brings knowledge easier. I would pay off all of my student loans I have so far and instead of working for the rest of my life. I will go to college and learn for the rest of my life. Other people will probably disagree and would want to drop out, that is okay too, but I love learning new things.

Other things I may do with it is help my parents retire sooner then they could ever imagine, buy a house, car, secondary house and car, and emergency house and car.🙂

Collecting interest on the money would also be great. I could use that for my kids’ college.

5. emmakay1 says:

1. Get debt-free.
    2. Put away a college fund for both boys.
    3. Contribute to relatives’ college funds and house payments
    4. Load up my IRA
    5. Donate
    6. Invest

6. Jon Stoltz says:

I would give it all away, to all the free loaders that dont have jobs and are able bodied. wait, sorry, I lied, i would take care of myself, friend and family, and then not care about anyone else…. you have to pay to play.

7. scott says:

After watching one of my wife’s family members win a lot of $$ then seeing that family fall apart, you can keep that cash. Divorce, kids in trouble with the law, give me –give me from family members and other people (not to mention the stress) took over their lives. Myself (if I ever won or played), I would do ALOT of planning, research and be just as excited like everyone else before I claimed a big winning ticket. Then pray that it all goes well.

8. scott says:

After watching one of my wife’s family members win a lot of $$ then seeing that family fall apart, you can keep that cash. Divorce, kids in trouble with the law, give me –give me from family members and other people (not to mention the stress) took over their lives. Myself (if I ever won), I would do a lot of planning, research and be just as excited like everyone else before I claimed a big winning ticket. Then pray that it all goes well.