From College Baseball To Loretto Mayor’s Office

LORETTO, Minn. (WCCO) — How does leading a baseball team compare to leading a small town? The residents of Loretto, Minn. will find out soon when a star second baseman becomes the city’s mayor, even though he’s only 23.

This is a big day for Kent Koch, starting his senior baseball season at St. Cloud State University.

“I’ve loved baseball all my life and I’ve been looking forward to having a big senior year,” he said.

But Tuesday will be even bigger when he’s sworn in as the mayor of his hometown.

“I don’t think age really matters when it comes to this,” he said. “I’ve lived in the town my whole life, 23 years. I’ve worked for the city for seven years in the parks department.”

Now he’ll lead the five-person city council and make a little spending money as well.

“He gets paid $100 for each meeting,” said city clerk Cindy Patnode. “Not less than $1,200 and not more than $2,400 per year.”

“Well, he’s majoring in finance,” said his father, Herb. “So I would hope he’d be on top of that.”

Kent’s family is firmly behind him and probably a big reason he ran. His parents own a local business and his father was the long-time fire chief.

“Well, I would just say take it slow and just make sure you run a good meeting,” advised his father.

“Gives us a reason to cut practice a little bit shorter,” said SCSU coach Pat Dolan, talking about Tuesday’s ceremony. “But what a great honor, and for his future, too.”

Kent has always been a leader on the field as team captain and last season he hit .333.

So, how will he balance the budget while also balancing baseball? He’s got that covered.

“Budget talks don’t really start up until August,” he said. “So I’ll be all done with baseball season from that standpoint. So, I’ll be able to focus on baseball right away and worry about the budget later.”

Kent ran unopposed in November. He only has three credits left to graduate with his finance degree.

He’ll also spend some time this spring looking for his first job as a financial planner.

WCCO-TV’s Frank Vascellaro Reports

Comments

1. Aunt Bee says:

“In today already walks tomorrow.” ~ Friedrich von Schiller

1. O2BNTEXAS says:

Hope he’s a Republican.

2. Awesome! says:

Just when you think the whole world has gone crazy and there’s no hope for tomorrow, in walks one young gentleman that proves that all wrong. I hope he will make a positive role model for all the young people that need encouragement to stand up and do the right thing. Best wishes!!

3. Harold Sammet says:

Congratulations! Unopposed or not you’re on your way to bigger things in the future.
    Honesty, intelligence and doing what is good for the entire community will propel you toward a political career should you choose to do so. Good Luck!

4. Art says:

Wasn’t Jerry Springer also a Mayor in Minn? How well did that work out?

1. Jason says:

Youre off by a few miles, Springer was Mayor of Cincinnati.

2. rick says:

jerry was mayor cincinnati, ohio. and, no, it didn’t work out very well for anyone.

5. Richard says:

Actually he was mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio

6. Monterey says:

I like this kid!

7. Road Warrior USA says:

St. Cloud State? Rutroh.

8. Mr T says:

I hope he is a Ron Paul republican. We need more young people involved in politics.

1. wauhoo says:

I’ll second that!

9. anne says:

he cannot be worse than the many we have in congress who are big time politicians. good luck young man. prove them wrong

10. Ernest says:

Set a great example, Kent!

11. Dennis D says:

Its Minnesota. Dumbest voters in America

1. Catherine Whitfield says:

How dare you! I’ll have you know that while I was growing up Minnesota was second in the nation for scholastic excellence. Where are you from, Dennis? At the bottom of the 50 I’m sure or you would not have made such an ignorant comment.

1. jobet says:

Two words, Catherine…..AL FRANKIN. Checkmate.

2. Ripp says:

20 to 1 Catherine is not married…any longer.

3. DA says:

How about Mark Dayton. Who gave himself an F for his performance as a Senator, and now the sheeple of MN elect him as Gov…. Dennis is right, MN voters are DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!!!

2. Sirithil says:

The intelligence of the voters or lack thereof is irrelevant; he ran unopposed. Reading comprehension is your friend.

1. astralweeks says:

Al Franken and Jesse Ventura doncha know. Guess Dennis has a point.

3. Hairy Herry says:

Particularly true in regard to their ridiculous seat belt law. Facism realized in America today. Some there believe that those in accidents will clog up state hospitals on the Minnesotan’s taxpayer nickel. Not so!! ObamaCare will now take care of that, so take that, Liberals!
      Get rid of the stupid seat belt law for adults, then I’ll have respect for Minnesota.

1. bge says:

Uh, that’s what you’re fired up about? Mandatory seat belts? I’m all for personal responsibility, and the legislation is unnecessary and heavy handed, but not high on my list of “things which should be fixed.”

If you don’t wear a seat belt you should simply pay higher car, life and health insurance rates – commensurate with your increased risk of injury and death. Same with helmet laws.

4. Todd says:

Move then. Get out, we don’t want you. Get the he!! out. Probably from Chicago anyways. The only problem with this state is people moving in from the less intelligent states.

12. Dave Radetsky says:

He may be a great kid and I wish him well. On the other hand, what is the town thinking letting him run unopposed? There is no way he has enough life experience to really understand the enormity of running a town, no matter how small. for the sake of the community I hope he does well and has good, sound advice coming from somewhere. The problem with someone too young for a job running a community is no different than the problem we see in Washington with a leader who is far too immature to lead a country.

13. GKPAL says:

Stay clean and you’ll go places. Good luck.

14. Guido says:

He can’t do much worse than anyone else already does. Let’s he how well it works out. Good luck, kid.

15. tommy says:

way to go, Kent, you’ll be living long after the old fogeys who screwed it up are gone, the time is right for more of this.

16. CoachEJK says:

Taste that power. It is intoxicating!

17. Hank Warren says:

Good luck to him. Hopefully he’s not like all of Washington and sells out his countrymen to Israel. All US politicians support endless Wars for Israel, it all started nearly a decade ago under a false flag attack.
    9/11 and Israel, here:

1. TheDuke says:

The town of Loretto is well known for their hard-line stance on Israel, Hank.

2. jobet says:

Hank…an Al Frankin voter, no doubt.
      Yes, Israel, (a country the size of New Jersey), a democracy, is responsible for the actions of the tens of millions of Muslim Jihadist.

Good luck and God’s blessing on the young mayor. I hope you have more common sense than the Hanks in your town.

1. Jason says:

Please learn how to spell Franken. It’s amazing how much more coherent you would sound if you would proofread.

18. Segeny says:

Well, he probably won’t be any worse than his senator, Franken-stein.

19. Mune Shadowe says:

Finally, someone in a leadership position that is not predisposed to corruption before he enters office.
    Don’t let them get to you kid, work for the taxpayer.

20. Bruno Strozek says:

Jesse Ventura was a mayor, then governor.

The Kid would be hard-pressed to do worse.

21. Pete says:

I’ve played townball with Kent for a couple years. It couldn’t have happened to a better guy. Congrats on the big win. Great family also.

22. MINNESOTANS 4 GLOBAL WARMING says:

I saw Al Gore today… on a milk carton. http://www.M4GW.com

23. Ripp says:

what would Wellstone Say? …Oh, thats right – never mind

24. HOMELAND INSECURITY says:

U&A: THIRD WORLD RISING – http://www.BorderInvasionPics.,com

25. Henry Thoreau says:

Looks like a nice kid. Good for him.

26. Josh says:

From the brilliant state that actually elected Jesse Ventura governor.

Who ever said the Scandinavians were bright has never been to Minnesota!

27. D. Younger / D. Better says:

Justin Bieber for Canadian PM…

28. Minh Nguyen says:

23….Hmmmmm, Mayor Heh?

First Executive Order: Bud Light kegs at every meeting going forward!

29. GottaRideMN says:

Yep, Minnesota has dumb voters. Al Frankin and now Mark Dayton. They may force me out of this state yet; the wife and I are shopping around. Let’s not take away from this kid. Educated, has had real jobs and from a business family. I wish he was mayor for my town.

1. Todd says:

See my last comment. LEAVE ALREADY.

30. Bloom2k11 says:

This also happened in Bloomsburg, Pa. Hopefully Minnesota’s luck is better… visit: http://www.buvoice.com/2.3621/bloomsburg-student-elected-mayor-1.415904

31. Stacy Harris says:

Good for Kent!

I grew up in “‘CC0 Land” (i.e., St Louis Park) and, in my experience, (as the youngest membe (to that time), at age 14, of the YDFL, I speak from experience: Dedicated young people, who are engaged in the political process, are not always taken seriously.

If that is no longer true, or if young Mr. Koch is in a position to change things, so much the better!

Stacy Harris