Minneapolis Named Gayest U.S. City

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — When you think of the United States’ gay meccas, you no doubt think of San Francisco or New York, right?

Well, gay magazine The Advocate seems to think the nation’s GLBT capital is actually well within flyover country. The magazine’s February issue ranks Minneapolis as the nation’s #1 gay metropolis. Ahead of San Francisco (#11) and New York (not even on the list of 15).

The magazine used a formula that accounted for, among other things, the number of officiants for gay weddings, the number of openly gay politicians and the number of gay-inclusive churches. The number was then divided by the city’s population.

The formula placed Minneapolis above Santa Fe and Las Vegas to take the title. The article mentioned the high number of gay-inclusive churches and noted that the city was where the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America voted to accept gay and lesbian pastors.

The Advocate also made note of Sen. Al Franken’s introduction of the Student Non-Discrimination Act, intended to protect gay youth from bullying at school.

Click here for a list of the Twin Cities’ best gay bars.

1. mplsgirl says:

I feel bad for both of you. Must make life hard to have such small minds.

1. Proud to be gay says:

Amen to that

1. MarkF says:

LMAO …. what’s the basis for the Amen?
        Ohhhhhhhhhhh. That Luthern Few. I forgot๐Ÿ˜‰

2. richard says:

No one is surprised by this. It explains Frankenstein!!

3. StPaulGuy says:

It is a great acknowledgment and I commend your distinction.

2. Biff Shrimpton says:

yay let’s go prancing off to uptown.

1. Hetero Uptowner says:

Uptown? You chose to single out UPTOWN?!

1. mr. jans says:

Uptown is a stupid burb now..They should build a pretent wall around the pretend people and a new pretend mall and a new pretend condo…Why would any city lover live there? yuck.

3. Allen says:

Judging by some of the comments, Minnesota Nice doesn’t mean inclusiveness and respect for others. THAT does not make me proud!

1. Sam W. says:

“I’d be proud of a bigoted, exclusive state where the most basic tenet of being American – we’re all equal – is beset by a steaming dump”. Make the rest of us proud and stop being a bigot.

4. Jon Woll says:

I don’t see how this is a bad thing. More gay relationships have fewer spousal anger than hetero ones. And more people that love one another irregardless of sexual preference is pretty cool.

1. DannyG says:

irregardless isn’t a word. regardless would have sufficed.

1. Dan Mork says:

It actually is a word. It means regardless. Look it up.

2. Bixby says:

Wow, did you just make that up? Spousal anger… would love to see that study, professor.

3. bj says:

ACTUALLY…domestic violence is highest amoung homosexual men, not to mention infidelity. Check your facts…

1. KD says:

are you an idiot? re check your facts.

2. BfPE says:

Yeah, buddy, you’re clearly up on your “facts.” Only 22% of gay men have experienced physical abuse (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12453817) whereas that number is 25% for women. Before you call someone on on their facts, it’d probably be wise to know your own.

3. KD says:

Those are completely outdated. hello its 2011. come on now. find something better. please.

4. A student says:

not all studies are done every year on the year. Sometimes the most recent information is 5 years or more old. Seeing has how LGBT issues probably aren’t top of the research list I could understand why you wouldn’t find anything more recent. HOWEVER if you are interested I suggest going and finding the information yourself. Academic Search Premiere is a good search engine to use when trying to find peer reviewed articles.

Also it’s wise to doubt any statistic you find before looking at their methodology (such as survey methods).

5. Hannah says:

Wouldn’t you know that gay magazine would bring the church into it!

1. mr. jans says:

Actually, the church brought in the gay people, then the magazine wrote about how Christ-like that is..

1. Maggie says:

I’m proud to live in a city that’s being praised for it’s tolerance and acceptance. THAT’S what being called “Gayest US City” means, by the way. The MN ELCA was mentioned because they were brave enough to fight against the hate and bigotry shown by some of the other members during the conference . And they should be praised for following Christ’s teachings that ALL are equal and beloved in the eyes of the Lord.

The only thing I’m ashamed of is seeing the ignorant and nauseating comments here from the people calling themselves “Christians.”

6. Kieron says:

Poor thing. Move away, then.

7. Ryann says:

Right on๐Ÿ™‚

1. TC's a Mess says:

Gay seems to me like it’s more being EXACTLY LIKE EACH OTHER dolphinegirl87๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰
      just saying …. not alot of anatomy difference and such if you will.
      Me—gotta pass on the weird stuff. I’m a Christian๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Ryann says:

You’re an ignoramus

9. Miss War says:

Proud to live in Minneapolis and proud to be the gayest city. Many great people and friends of mine are gay and doing a lot of great things to improve our city and are great people.

1. PatPaulson says:

IDEA _ go into the printing business and print the MN Proud to be Gayest City on shirts.
      I will do the opposite and we both can get rich and join the happy and gay movement as gay should be meant. Happy.

10. Chris says:

Isn’t it amazing that people find it so disgusting that we live in a tolorant, accepting, and diverse community that welcomes people of different background and ideals. To use a phrase you hear a lot at political rallies, if you don’t like it then move out.

1. max says:

What would your neighbors think if they knew you were writing about their kids’ butts on the internet? That really does strike me as bizarre and inappropriate.

1. max says:

This comment was in response to an inappropriate comment that was deleted.

2. mr. jans says:

An overwhelming majority of pervs(child molestors) are hetero…VERY overwhelming..

1. Victim Du Jour says:

DFL Public School Teachers are in the News more than anyone.

11. Ryann says:

This is a great thing!! Funny how stark the difference is between Mpls and the rest of the state though. Small town in the western part of the state I grew up in, is probably where all these hate comments are coming from!

12. Ruth says:

Those of you who are sad make me sick. Stay away from the cities, please and thank you. Keep your hatred in your small, close-minded communities.

1. gjkeeper says:

Ruth – I have lived here all my life. Homosexual orientation is an objective disorder & it evokes moral concern. The majority of folks living in Minnesota are MORAL & CONCERNED. It has nothing to do with hate when people “speak out” out of concern.
      By the way, I am not going anywhere.

13. RD says:

I no longer live 30 minutes south of minneapolis. I now live an hour north of Mankato! No wonder why the dome collapsed… from all the gayness!

No offense to gays, I respect the way you are, but come on, why so flamboyant? Minneapolis “gay capitol of the US”… great.

A magazine about being gay? !!–Light Bulb–!! 4-1-2011 all my friends are getting subscriptions to this! Yay!

1. Rosie Hanggi says:

Really? Gays made the metrodome collapse? Is snow gay then? If so, Minnesota gets pretty gay 1/3 of the year…

1. happy1 says:

We’re just so happy!!!๐Ÿ˜€

14. mr. jans says:

What does loring park have to do with the story??

15. mn proud says:

it must be hard to look in the mirror each day at someone who isn’t proud of equal rights for all… your narrowminded attitude is what is SAD!

16. mr. jans says:

The AIDS comment is disgustingly ignorant and VERY non-Chirst-like but VERY “Christian-like”…GROSS>>>

17. Missy says:

Stupid! I’m embarrassed to live here now!!!!

1. mr. jans says:

Then leave.

1. LoneRanger Rides a Horse says:

take your minority and head to the BADLANDS mr jans cuz the posse is saddling up again.Horses that be mr jans, horses. We ride the right way now don’t we

2. Aurora says:

I’m embarrassed that you live here too. Please find the nearest exit and take all your hater friends and family with you.

1. BostonRob says:

Then who the he!! would be paying your bills there honey?????????
        You need us in more ways than one

3. JLKF says:

Are you kidding me? Can’t believe how many bigots still exist. Insane.

1. mr. jans says:

They are all anti-christs..Haters will burn in hell! That’s the devils’ greatest work..making the “Christians”

2. RD says:

Are you for real? Burn in hell? Get a grip. Who’s the hater again? Please check yourself in to a mental hospital.

3. mr. jans says:

I don’t believe in hell, personally…or Christian agendas….But by “Christian” standards…”Christians” WILL definately burn in hell…total haters.

4. BostonRob says:

That’s where he’d typing from RD … he’s in the odd wing to the left

5. RD says:

+1 Rob. Someone should notify the orderly in his wing.

6. mr. jans says:

I’m not christian. That hate means nothing to me..

18. Patience Anderson says:

everyone mistakes the limits of their vision for the limits of the world. Have compassion for others when they cannot see what is obvious to you. Have compassion for yourself when you realize that you can see only a small part of God’s vision for the world

1. Tee-Bee says:

Thank you. This needed to be said.

19. Ryann says:

It’s so frustrating that SOME people identify themselves as Christians and in the same breath will judge others for their lifestyles. I’m sure you all are getting into heaven.

1. insignificant says:

Miniabominationapolis…may the Most High God have mercy,and lead these people into rightiousness

20. desi says:

it would have already happened, what makes me sick are ignorant people who still think only gay men get aids

21. SuperMegaEquality says:

That’s funny because Modern Homophobe Magazine voted it that way too for the very same reasons. It was right next to their article “How to be Offended When It Has Nothing To Do With You.”

22. mr. jans says:

I’ll help you move…But I won’t suck your……

1. Aurora says:

Ha ha! Methinks they doth protest too much?

23. Robert says:

At last, being gay is a great thing.

Minneapolis is a great city

24. MPLSLibgirl says:

I am proud to live in such a tolerant and progressive city. To the homophobes on this thread: Stop being so ignorant. Grow up.

25. Nindonis says:

Oh HAHA!! Shut up hater…Minneapolis is great.

26. Gjkeeper says:

it makes me sad whenever someone expresses their objection to gay relationships, they are immediately referred to as small minded not tolerant, or not inclusive! The “Gay rights” (They already have the same rights as everybody else) agenda has been shoved down our throats for so long that many of us now have a malformed conscience. What do we expect when we elect Dayton who’s own web site says he wants to make gay rights one of his priorities! I for one am not proud of this MN achievement (term loosely used), To those of you who think this a a great thing, find out who was the Author of the term “Do what thou will!”.

1. mr. jans says:

Not interested in “christian” propoganda…but thanks for shoving.

2. mr. jans says:

who cares if you had a kid??? that’s your problem so stop pushing your agenda on me. You had the damn thing, I didn’t. Why should we give special rights to people who spawn?

1. hANNAH says:

It is normal to have children,mr jans!! We don’t give special rights to people who have children, which IS A NORMAL HUMAN FUNCTION!!!!

3. MPLSLibgirl says:

They have the same rights as anyone else?? Oh, so they are allowed to marry their partner and have the same rights as a hetrosexual married couple? really??? Stop with your homophobia and ignorance.

4. RainbowGrl says:

Please explain to me how gays have the same rights? I could go marry a man I met 15 minutes ago and no one would bat an eye. But to marry my partner of many years… not allowed.

It’s time for the world to change. I just hope that my children will look back on this time and laugh at how closed minded we all were to make such a big deal about gay marriage and gay rights. Just as we look back now and think about how crazy segregation and not allowing inter-racial marriage was.

5. Beestung says:

@Gjkeeper- What “rights” are you referring to? The right to legally marry the person one chooses to? The right to expect to walk down the street without being tormented, assaulted or killed? The right to employment despite who one goes home to at night?
      Honestly, I’m a bit confused about what you think “rights” are.
      And the last time I checked, “Do what thou will.” means “Do what you want to.”

1. Rob says:

Well, taken literally, that is what it means. Do what you want to. It doesn’t say who it should be with, though.

6. Jezebel Jones says:

“They already have the same rights as everyone else”?

Ummmmmm…no, they do NOT have the same rights as everyone else. For instance, can they legally marry in MN and most other states? No.

This prevents them from getting healthcare coverage, property/inheritance rights and making decisions for their spouse/family in emergency medical situations… all because most states doesn’t give them the right to marry.

Your type of ignorance and passive-agressive intolerance is usually based on lack of knowledge of the subject matter. If you had some gay friends, you would probably think differently.

Maybe that’s a good 2011 goal for you: make some gay friends. Being gay’s not an infectious disease, so you should be fine.

27. BB says:

The MN Legislature is proping a new State Drink to be on license plates.

28. RD says:

Wow some really intelligent things said here seems that “gay” people think,

1) being the gay capitol of the US makes Mpls a great, exciting and tolerant place to live, yippy! Umm no… it just makes it gay.

2) small communites are haters and close minded. To the contrary. All I know is that when I wake up in the morning and see my baby daughter, I know that wouldn’t have been possible by poking some other guy in the rear. Think about it!

3) disliking Mpls being labeled as the gayest city in the US, means you are close minded and don’t like gay people. COME ON, IS THAT REALLY THE BEST AMMO YOU HAVE??? For christ sake at least try to sound intelligent. I’m done waisting my time here, for the most part the posts here by no doubt, gay people, have been stereotyping and attacking anyone who offers up the littlest opposition. But I guess that is stereotypicall gay behavior, ignorant and bitter.

1. JLKF says:

Hope you don’t pass on your hate to your daughter. That’s all this world needs, more ignorant people.

1. mr. jans says:

you had the damn thing…It’s your problem…my world doesn’t revolve around the fact that you stuck your thing in a vagina….could care less..Very irresponsible..

2. RD says:

I don’t hate gays, I don’t like Mpls being called the gayest city. What would you say if it was labeled the straightest city? Have you seen me or anyone else on here use any slurs for “gay” or use any other forms of verbal assault? No. What has been said to me so far for posting my opinions is:

-You live in a small town so you are close minded
        -Burn in hell for posting objections to a ridiculous title of a city
        -you will not get into heaven
        -you are a hater

Please take a look at what you are saying and don’t expect other people to have compassion for you when you say things like this.

3. mr. jans says:

It’s good you’re “out”

2. Beestung says:

@RD- 1) Being named “gayest city” based on measures of inclusiveness (such as accepting churches, openly gay politicians & gay officiants) seems to indicate a high degree of inclusiveness & tolerance.

2) …and what about if that baby daughter grows up to be gay?
      ….and have you heard of in vitro fertilization or adoption?

3) I think close-mindedness easily points to itself.

3. Corrina says:

Re: #1: Actually being the gay capital of the US, means many gay/lesbian people have chosen to live here, probably due to the fact that we are more progressive and accepting of peoples differences. So yes, that DOES mean Mpls. is a more tolerant place to live
      Re: #2 Do you really ONLY have sex with the goal of procreation? Wow,I feel sorry for your wife. I do it for enjoyment and as a physical representation of the love I have for my husband. Nothing wrong with having babies, I just don’t want to do it.
      Re: #3 All people have the right to form their own opinions about Mpls being awarded the title Gayest City in the US. However, I question people who are offended by that title. What offends you about tolerance and inclusiveness?.

29. smarty snow pants says:

Hopefully this means finding a girlfriend is a bit easier here.

30. thumbody says:

I guess being known as the “welfare” state wasn’t to bad!

31. TheMan says:

Shut up Heather. Anyone who finds this disturbing is just a bigot and you really should just move somewhere else.

32. BostonRob says:

I propose we do this – put a wall up around say MPLS and maybe St Paul and let the folks who choose the gay lifestyle and/or support it can live within this or not. Those that don’t can live elsewhere.
    Whatever your preference ya can have at it. Just pray 100% for what all trips your trigger either way is all I ask.
    I admit I no longer life in the city but my lifestyle has changed too. I found out I dig women instead.

1. mr. jans says:

congrats!! dig away..I still dig men. and always will. It’s how I was made. Sex with women is extremely unnatural for me..I faked it for a few years…go over the Christian guilt-I’m not even Christian, and moved on.. Why does Gay and God go together so well. You can’t seem to have one without the other.

1. MN is Messed Up says:

MN PACKERS.

33. rita says:

Mind your OWN business. Be what you want and did anyone hear of live and let live. What is to be will be. It is not our role to judge anyone for anything! If more people would take care of cleaning up their own backyard instead of sticking their noses into their neighbors, it would be a much nicer place to live, wherever you are. For all of you Christians remember, “judge not, lest ye be judged”… if you are Christian , really following Christ, then you know that there is only ONE judge and He is fair and just.

1. mr. jans says:

Exactly! Mind your own business is the best thing written on here today

34. Jen says:

I’m a straight, married woman and love this news! How wonderful that we live in a tolerant and inclusive metropolitan area! For those of us in the straight community, these statistics about inclusion in churches and officiants for marriages aren’t well-known to us so I applaud The Advocate and WCCO for sharing them in this story.

1. TrashandTruth says:

subsribe to the rag. They soon to top 100 subscriptions so the price will be going up like someones …. yep

35. krysten Carlson says:

I love this!! I am the proud daughter of gay parents and this makes me even more proud!!!! LOVE THIS!!!!!๐Ÿ™‚

36. Ron says:

Still waiting to see that gay gene to make it a civil rights issue. Until then, it is a choice. Feelings do not equate to civil rights. Science defines whether someone is born a certain way.

1. Really? says:

LOLOL…it is people like you that came up with the missouri compromise to count slaves as 3/5’s a person. They didnt have civil rights either…did that make our treatment of them ok? Did you even think of that analogy…because that is EXACTLY the same thing you say now? And even if you dispise homosexual activity….why do you care? If you dont partake in that activity…but your neighbor does behind close doors….why do you care again? Are you of THOSE people?

2. RainbowGirl21 says:

Have they found the hetero-gene? When did you decide to be straight?

I find it so irritating when people say that being gay is a choice. Why in the world would I choose a lifestyle that would subject me to the ignorant closed minded bigotry shown on this posting board?

1. TC's a Mess says:

RBGirl – whats next >>>>
        ” I find it so annoying that being a child molester is considered annoying too. I didn’t choose this lfestyle either”
        >>>>I didn’t choose to be poor
        ……….I didn’t choose to be Redman
        …………….I didn’t choose to have my fingers pull the trigger
        See – it just becomes a slippery slimy slope.

Nontheless – we can change things. Happens all the time. My BIL can tell you that firsthand.๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Beestung says:

@Ron- remember that when you want something or someone & are denied it. Remember that when you feel very strongly that you are wired a certain way, or that you simply can’t change something about yourself, or are struggling with some major life issue…. “it’s a choice”.

37. roy says:

I have lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul for 20 + years, and all I can say is that people are very nice to me, gay or straight, and it is truly progressive and tolerant town! I love living in Minneapolis.

People are super nice, gay and straight, and I have met the best friends of my life here. Thanks for making the Twin Cities so livable.

1. PaulP in Rochester says:

I think one will always find the melting pot of a city to be more tolerant and accepting of all types of lifestyles. Whether we want to live inside one is a matter of choice. I have no problem in doing so but I admit that some things are getting to be to outlandish at times at festivals, parades and such. If I was to grab my crotch, do that disgusting tongue thing, etc I’d likely find my butt in jail. Because of the now over bias to tolerance and acceptance by law – well, it’s doing no gay members any favor in gaining mainstream acceptance either IMO

38. Truth says:

Never understood why people care what others do in their bedroom. Gay, straight….who cares?? Really…who cares?? And if you find yourself angered by this article…ask yourself why? I mean really…why does anyone care what their neighbor does in the bedroom? Personallly…I find homosexual activity offputting and strange…but i also hate Justin Beiber, Cher, the Today Show. You dont see me cursading against the Beiber or Today Show…because i choose not to watch or listen to them and it doesnt affect me. Same thing with homosexuals….it has no affect on me or the community…so why would i care? And before you homo-phobes talk about that it does affect the community…get over yourself…violence, drugs and poverty affect the community. Who my neighbor chooses to sleep with…affects nothing but my neighbor…so why the hell would i spend any engery caring?

39. Tony says:

I truly wish more people would be gay, the world would be a much more lovely place to live, try it sometime, being gay is great.

1. Bens Worried says:

I use my rear to expel waste is all I’m saying

1. Kthx says:

You don’t have to use it for anything more than that if you don’t want to, and you can still be gay.

2. Aurora says:

I’m pretty sure you use your mouth too.

2. Andrew in albertsville says:

I just puked up my lunch. Where do I send you the bill? :-O

40. J.R. says:

I think it’s ridiculous how many people are bashing Christians here for being so gay-hating but the only reason that Minneapolis made the list is that there are a lot of gay accepting churches here. Go figure.

41. V says:

So, I just have something to say to all of this soooooooo call christians….. God is love, God is not hate, so again would you call yourselfs christians???? I do not thinks so!

How about you pack your thinks and get out of Minneapolis, since is full of gays, FYI it is not contagious, asumming for al of the comments of haters, nothing but closet gays, get out of the closet and be happy.

1. BettyBoob says:

Settle down V — try to spell so we get it

42. wrm says:

After reading many of the comments here, I am thinking that maybe not all articles need to include comments. I think it’s time for people to stop talking and start thinking and reflecting on what makes us human and why we need to treat each other with respect. Oh, and a little love and understanding wouldn’t be half bad either.

43. A says:

I can’t even begin to read all these comments, but I find it humerous that there are 71 comments on here after this story only being posted for and hour and a half!!

44. mr. jans says:

I’d be ashamed of that.

45. mr. jans says:

to me, being “Christian is wierd….

46. red says:

Everyone- I want to thank you for the entertainment during my break at the office this morning. This made for some great reading. Have an awesome day

47. Dean says:

Everybody start sucking, Minneapolis is the gay capital of U.S. What a wonderful place to live.
    May be they should re-name Minneapolis to to Spermsville, Minnesota, that would be cool.

1. Beestung says:

@Dean- um, not all who identify as “gay” (generally an accepted term for the entire LGBTQ continuum in the mainstream) are men. Nor do we all wish to sexualize every aspect of our lives.

48. mr. jans says:

yes, thanks for your donation…I never would have guessed that such a large donation would come from such a small sourec

49. ThomasY says:

Thank God St Paul wasn’t part of this or the headline may have been Enjoined TC’s Come Together

50. SteveO says:

It’s because when it comes to taxes nobody takes it up the behind more than Minnesotans.

1. Mac says:

True – but most that do are not gays. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Actually laughed at this says:

Best comment on this whole board.

51. SteveO says:

Minneapolis the “gayes city?” Are they suggesting that Minneapolis really sucks?

52. Phid says:

Um, the gay community is hardly a “tolerant” bunch. That is their claim, to be sure, but it extends only so much as you agree with their ideology. Disagree with it and their fangs come out.

1. mr. jans says:

I’m gay and very intolerant.

2. Brenna says:

Okay, then the next time someone in the gay community disagrees with your “ideology” about being straight, feel free to bring your fangs out too.

3. Chris says:

You know you’re right my fangs do come out when someone tells me that my love for my partner doesn’t matter, that I do not deserve the same civil right as any other American even though I was born here, my parents were born here, I pay my taxes, I signed up for selective service when I turned 18! So ya I get a little angry when someone says “Hey you’re different so you get less rights than everyone else.”

1. MariaP says:

What rights you talking about here Chris ?????
        Love for your partner – that’s cool.
        So let’s hear what you talking about ????

1. Chris says:

The right to marry my partner. The right to visit my partner in the hospital, the right of inheritance from my partner, the right of power of attorney for my partner if some thing happens to me, the right to file a joint tax return, the right to add my partner to my medical insurance pre tax. Just to name a few

53. OHP says:

I’m pretty sure Sven was taken into account for the gay equation. He’s got great taste in hats.

So pleased! Keep it up, Mpls!

54. Flinstone Freddy says:

Correct Mr Jans – you ain’t anything
    at all. So nothing indeed means nothing. Stay away from the back of me is all I am asking or I’ll use my club๐Ÿ˜‰

1. mr. jans says:

I”m not interested in your “toy” Fred…use it on yourself…I don’t like clubs in my butt, and certainly don’t want to put one in yours…Gross.. Do you think about things around your back side often?

55. Greg says:

I sent the web link to the Westboro Baptist Church. An gave them your address Mr. Jan

1. mr. jans says:

Okay? I’m not Christian, but church goers are people too..I can give them my email address.

56. JoeF says:

My fellow Christians would do good to remember the words of our Lord before condemning a fellow human simply being who they are.

Leviticus 19:18
    You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

And, of course, Mark:
    `You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

1. Preacherman says:

The Buffet Christian I see. Pick and choose what you like and skip the stuff you don’t.
      Let’s not forget 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10 then, eh? Just sayin’…..

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1. JoeF says:

Yes, and Paul also says in Corinthians that we should throw the wicked out. The Bible, as a whole, is full of contradicting statements.

When there is contention and contradiction in the bible, I weigh more heavily Jesus’ words than Paul’s opinions.

They may not “inherit the kingdom of God” but it is still our charge to love them and pray for them, as Jesus said we must. Loving one another is our highest calling.

From a non-biblical perspective — I fail to see why anyone would care what two consenting adults do with one another – no matter how ‘disgusting’ they think it is.

2. thumbody says:

Joe F we are to love the sinner and hate the sin, and pray for them to repent. How about Romans 1:18-32 which addresses this. Shall we just flip a coin?

3. Preacherman says:

How many times have you read/studied the entire Bible? The only contradictions are from those who pick and choose and don’t rely on the complete message. The Israelites were to stay separate from the nations so they didn’t fall into their ways. That hasn’t changed.
      But you are totally right that it’s not our place to say what people do or don’t do. We need to keep our noses clean and do what we can to help out. All we can do is offer a hand.
      In the end…we all will know.

1. JoeF says:

There are plenty of contradictions… shoot, there are a few in the first few pages of Genesis (granted, Old testament, but still). But those contradictions (Which I feel are part of the human input to the equation and not divinely inspired) don’t change the overriding message: Love one another as God so loved us.
        I’m glad that, on that, we can agree. All the best to you.

4. Preacherman says:

Sorry to beat the horse…and get off topic…would like an example of a contradiction in the first few sentences of Gen. Just like it’s stand on homosexual behavior is not contradictory anywhere in scripture, neither is the rest contradictory. Complete harmony is found throughout…
      If you’re going to bring up the “day” thing, a day is a period of time. To God a day is like 1000 years (2 pet 3). What about all that happened in Noah’s ‘day’.

57. Not Around Me You Don't says:

I shall refrain from commenting myself as I truly cannot begin to guess. We seem to have many of the gay persuasion here who might be able to answer the question.
    I sense they see the nastiness in it all and are smart enough to suddenly become open to the hetro idea. lol

58. BCharlesD says:

The “fear” of homosexuality continues to baffle me on a daily basis. What is the issue exactly? Are homosexuals showing up at your door every night and harassing you? Are they lurking in your suburban oasis’s recruiting new members? Are they somehow directly affecting your dull and painfully normal Midwestern existence?

Homosexuality is within the realm of…well, sexuality. What if you found out the your elderly hetero neighbors were big bondage aficionados? Or that your fishing buddy and his wife like to both dress up in lingerie? If itโ€™s the “weird” factor that is throwing you off, let me assure you that you probably have elderly hetero bondage-lovers living nearby, and you at least work with a “manly” man or two that fancies the occasional garter belt being slid down over their waistline.

If it is the religious angle that’s bugging you…guess what? Your job is not to judge folks! That is why the big guy is there; he gets to do the judging–not you! So why not leave judging to the expert, eh?

It doesn’t matter how long my hair is or what color my skin is or whether I’m a woman or a man. — John Lennon

Folks, tolerance and respect will change this world; it is that simple.

1. BostonRob says:

that’s what 90% of the world is truly afraid of. Change to appease the few

59. DS says:

‘Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

1. Straight says:

Kinda conceited to capitalize “My” and “Me”, no?

1. DS says:

Not if it’s God speaking.

60. Max O says:

Bothers me that they have had to somewhat modify or avoid the use of the word gay in a school classroom. Seems to set off the younger kids and has been a source of issues for my wife who teaches.
    I guess since they now changing Twain’s books it’s just a matter of time the word gay is deleted or amended in Webster also. Pretty sad if one thinks about it.

61. Frankenstiener says:

What else is there to do on a Saturday nite when its -15 degrees outside. Lay Pipe!

1. BostonRob says:

the gals don’t get the same option now, do they

62. Mike Hunt says:

Well arn’t we the messed up bunch….

1. MandiT says:

yep ๐Ÿ˜‰

63. BB says:

who’s to say?
    I can say the TuttiFrutti drink bill shall pass

64. hannah says:

I have a couple of gay friends, and they are the nicest people! What I don’t like is when a few of these gay and lesbians make it bad for others by “flaunting” their life style in public and on television!

1. mplsmomma says:

So as long as the gays stay closeted, you like ’em just fine, huh?

2. Beestung says:

Flaunting? What does that mean exactly? There are extravagant people of every orientation. They all offend someone. But if you are referring to public displays of affection, we are again talking about civil rights. If I date a man I can hold his hand, I can kiss him & flaunt our date for all to see, but if I’m with a woman I should reserve such behavior for the privacy of my own home? I had enough of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell in the military. Did someone force you to look?

65. Vic in Minni says:

I’m a thinkin’ I almost prefer Murderapolis as a title

1. KracktKrock says:

careful of what ya wish for.
      Rather Minneapolis as it was 30 years ago. That ain’t gonna happen again.
      Don’t care as other than to hit a game I stay way clear of the congested mess called Minneapolis … or Gayapolis … or Murderapolis. My fav is Decadentapolis which sums it all. Crime, slime and grime

2. mplsmomma says:

So MURDER is preferable to two consenting adults loving one another? That’s pretty messed up dude.

66. brandon says:

I dont really care if minneapolis has the most gays. I dont have a problem with them. You are who you are, doesnt make no difference to me. But mr. jans, just shut up. If you have a problem with what some people think, then you have no life. I would advise you to get one.

67. ThomasY says:

did not take the ‘cco folks long to come up with the Best Gay Bars on-site here.
    Time to go to Fox or Kare11 ….. pathetic.

68. ListenToYourselves says:

Both sides of this issue are rife with idiots. The anti-gay community are largely uneducated (over the issue, but likely also in general), and they flaunt religion as a catch-all while simultaneously ignoring that doing so is the polar opposite of what Christ would do. He would love and appreciate his fellow Man. Every one of them.

I said both sides. Sadly, the GLBT community is guilty of fanning the flame (not each individual, but as a whole). We can turn this into a chicken/egg debate, which is useless, but remember, if you ignore a bully, they’ll give up.

It’s a sad state of affairs when anybody in this country can see the poverty, starvation, disease, etc in the less fortunate world and complain about something going on in their neighbor’s house.

69. Shame says:

Oh good….another title for Minnesota…lets see…largest “Gay” population….largest Somali populaiton…largest Hmoung population….and second hghest immigration status (California #1….working well there)……Lets all yell it (in a manly sort of voice) We’re #1!!!! We’re #1!!…….can we start to work on trannys now! Be the #1 Tranny state…..just complete the joke that was once Minnesota….

1. BeatnDowninMN says:

think it’s already been called this in the ’90’s.
      One has to be proud huh.
      What a joke. What a pathetic joke. Heck – even a gay dude should be upset. It’ll just encourage more competition for his boy.
      RT – ya like this one too I bet you fool

70. Dave L says:

Being a Christian, I dont have any reason to judge other people and what they do. I will leave that to God. I have no reason to put down individuals regardless of lifestyle choices.

However, The Bible is more than clear about calling out same sex relations– I will live my own life accordingly, and leave the judging up to God.

1. Annoyed says:

It also says in the same chapter of the bible that eating pork is equally as sinful.

1. TrashandTruth says:

71. love one another says:

What’s up with all you haters?? I have an idea… go live in a hole by yourself. Humanity and society would be better off without your small-minded ignorance. I guess we could also vote Mpls #1 in STUPIDITY thanks to all of you a-holes. Everyone has a right to freedom of choice and to live their lives the way they want.

72. Lisa Gonyea says:

Anti Gay..never…Gay Pride I can’t figure…I am not hetero Proud..it is just what I am. Never seen a Hetero Pride parade…but some of the stuff I have seen in Gay Pride parades..is TOO MUCH..(the only one I have seen was in SF). I have no problems with Gays becoming a functioning part of society…and what they do ..do it on their own time. I would not enjoy seeing heteros displaying their overt sexual activity in public…and I don’t want to see Gays display their overt activities either. Just Live and Let Live…

1. Beestung says:

Leaving the extravagance aside (there’s plenty of that regardless of sexual orientation all over this state & country & many of us have been subjected to the “overt expression” of other’s sexual acitivity via assault by hetero men), one must understand that Gay Pride parades were born of a long ago event called Stonewall. In a nutshell, people were protesting for their freedom. Ever hear of such a thing? Not to mention, hetero pride is all over our billboards, magazines, TV shows & every media outlet & marketing scheme imaginable.
      If you don’t want to see it, simply don’t look at it.

73. LoringPark says:

74. Spunkyrainbow says:

Everyone should just be gay!

1. Momma of 2 says:

Now that’s a little drastic. However, if YOU want to follow that life style then go for it. I, on the other hand am content with the opposite sex.

Unless of course you mean gay = happy … Then YES, we should all be Gay๐Ÿ™‚

75. Trevor says:

Amazed at all the bigotry being posted. I guess it’s easy to hide the hate and loathing behind this medium. Anyway, pleasantly surprised to see Mpls at #1.

76. GeorgeMcFly says:

My wife and I live in the suburbs. I am am musician and she is an artist. We have many gay friends and strongly support gay rights. So please, don’t paint with such a broad brushstroke.

1. MadasHe!!inMN says:

That brush is going north and south here George. Just stating the obvious

77. Kevin says:

Gay in gay out….Gay in gay out…..Gay in gay out…….this state sucks…..Largest Hmoung population and Somaliian population….now a “gay” city……I miss the good old days….you know…the days before that thing called Federal Hate Crime…..takes all the fun out of life….

1. Momma of 2 says:

Wow … Really?? Did you seriously just post that??? Because of people like you this world is a sad, scary place.

I can’t believe you would even say such a thing … Who do you think YOU are?? Let me guess, you don’t believe in God either???

78. insignificant says:

Miniabominationapolis…May the Most High God have mercy on these people and bring them into rightiousness

79. Jj says:

Civil rights for all. Better for the tax and services base. No more claiming single and poor motherhood when the partner is bringing home a decent paycheck. Partners incomes will be taken into account. I know too many gay parents taking full advantage of the system.

80. Victim Du Jour says:

It’s funny how people think Minneapolis is so sophisticated. But to most people in the World, Minneapolis is right next to Wisconsin, Iowa and the Dakotas.

Someone in SF asked me if I like eating grits with a pretend southern accent when I told him I was from Minnesota.

81. Tharen says:

Wow are you people seeing yourselves, I am Native and have looked intolerance in the eye most of my life, it is subtle most of the time, and pretty blatent in other ways, but there none the less it is alive and well…… so what exactly does that say about all of us??? Not pretty huh?

1. Beestung says:

That’s just the problem. There is astounding priveledge & entitlement. This blinds people to the whole picture & prevents them from any desire to see it (let alone endeavor toward compassion, reconciliation or equality).

82. Eric Stachowski says:

Any group of people that differentiates themselves by race sex religion or sexual preference merely serves to further divide us and create tensions that aren’t there. One fact to think about, despite the insistence by the members of any group touting their differences, we are all HUMAN. That’s all… Probably too simple to be understood but all of your differences don’t amount to much in the final analysis…

1. Beestung says:

It’s a nice sentiment, but painfully untrue. The differences are stark. The challenges we face due to our differences are unique & compelling. Each requires creative thinking. There are entire races, classes, genders, religions & so forth who have faced genocide because of their very real differences to the accepted majority & social norms. Pollyanna does not heal abuses, creatie jobs or dispell terror.

83. No Fightin' says:

Telling people to leave isn’t the answer. In fact, is that all you got!? If someone doesn’t like something they should uproot and leave? Really? Gay is everywhere folks. Telling people to leave isn’t the answer. They deserve to be here just as much as anyone else. Gay or straight. And why all the hate? Isn’t that what leads to acts of violence? Just sayin’…. Some of these posts are no better than statements made by our politicians. The very thing we find appauling. Rise above people!!!

84. Dave L says:

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 – “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Leviticus 20:13 – “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.”

Romans 1:26-27 – “Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.”

Sounds pretty clear cut to me. I am simply forwarding this info for all your readings.

1. Beestung says:

@ Dave L- You do realize that the bible was written by humans, right? Regardless of where they “got” their information, it was still humans with personal opinions, predjudices, agendas & politics who wrote it. Not to mention that there are several different versions, each of which has differing variations of the same stories. Some of which contain whole books not included in other versions. And they’ve all had to be vetted by the religious officials, who are also humans with agendas in mind.

I think the key to clarity is objectivity & realism.

1. Dave L says:

yes, I am fully aware the gospels whom wrote it. God works through humans.

85. B PIRATE ARRRHHH!!! says:

I like gayest place on the planet. Now the gayest man in minneapolis would be a great follow-up story. LOLZ!!!!

86. Grace Johnson says:

Gay women = good
    Gay men = bad

87. Beestung says:

…and then I read this: http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2011/01/terry_allen_lester_sex_toy_bomb.php a story about a man who made a vibrator (for his ex girlfriend) into a bomb. How about going rabid on this!

88. lolinmpls says:

In a free society people should get to do what they want, including making jokes about what they want, and that comment that said the metrodome collapsed because of the gayness was funny as all hell.

89. GayInMpls says:

50-60 years ago, segregation was the hot button issue.
    “Blacks and whites together? NEVER!! That’s insane!! It’ll never work!”

Times change, people. Get used to it.

Now if you’ll excuse me, this future Chrysler/Jeep mechanic has to put away the dogs and play some Gran Turismo 5 before he retires to the bed he shares with his ridiculously attractive boyfriend.

PS– Dear haters: We come in all different shapes and sizes. You come in contact with us A LOT more than you think. WE ARE EVERYWHERE.
    Sleep Tight!

90. bill williams says:

This story is another reason to move from Minneapolis. The gay lifestyle is perverted, and anyone who lives out that lifestyle needs professional therapy.

91. James says:

As a Straight former Minneapolitan, the gays were one of the things that made that city a great place to live. They’re so free, creative, fun loving. Loved it.

92. SFO2MSP2SFO says:

This article was not researched when looking into which cities should make the list. I am originally from San Francisco and have been living in Minneapolis for two years. The community is very small and in order to be socially accepted, you must be part of the very judgmental social cliques. The area has less than 10 bars, a couple coffee shops and very few restaurants, all of which are not supported by the community at large. The music scene is stagnant, making it impossible to find a quality dance floor. For a brief moment, I found one small place with great sound. The people had the same attitude as every other place but the music reminded me of home. I knew right away the DJ did not belong there. He was meant for a place like “The End Up” and it soon became my favorite spot. Unfortunately, it closed down due to lack of support. I have since become a homebody and am relentlessly working my way back to the Bay. There is no place like the Castro!

93. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

94. John says:

I have no problem with Gay men. I wish every man in Minnesota except me was gay. That would just leave me and all those strait woman. Yah !!!!

95. brian says:

Who cares i wish minneapolis would care more about crime and our horrible streets then living in the mayors liberal bike mecca

96. Mingione says:

Nice to be here

I hope you have a great working day.