Twin Cities Inches Closer To Snowfall Record

By Telly Mamayek, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — With how this winter is going, it could be a record breaker for total snowfall in the Twin Cities.

As of Monday, 59.5 inches had fallen at the National Weather Service in Chanhassen this season. That’s 4.5 inches more than the average total snowfall for the entire winter.

“To be at these levels in mid-January is quite amazing,” said Tony Zaleski, meteorologist at the National Weather Service.

With some of the snowiest months yet to come, the season could surpass the record snowfall of 90 inches set back in 1982-83.

“The record is attainable with the amount of snow we’ve had so far this year,” said Zaleski.

The nearly constant snowfall we’ve had this month is very unusual, Zaleski said. He cites the west to east jet stream, which is bringing in more weather systems from the Central Pacific and Central Plains states.

In addition, it’s a La Nina year, which means we’ll likely have near-normal temperatures in March. That’s unlike last spring, which was warmer than usual.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Telly Mamayek Reports

Comments

1. Leaving Here says:

I’m so glad I’m leaving MN this year. I’m never coming back. 43 Minnesota winters is enough.

1. leandro b. says:

see you later… and don’t bother commenting on the local news here after you’ve established yourself in a new state. no one cares about you here now…. or later.

2. Homeboy says:

We’re glad you’re leaving, too. Don’t let the “Welcome to Minnesota” sign hit you in the a55 on your way out of state!!

3. David says:

We’re very happy for you. And even happier for us!

2. Phid says:

I left Minnesota at the end of last summer for the South for school/work, and I must say I am very much missing the snow and colder weather. Snowfall is beautiful and I wish I were able to have experienced such a winter as this in Minnesota. Yes, the winters get long, especially in March when the warmer Spring temps can’t come soon enough, but aside from that Minnesota is a great place to live. I hope to move back there in a few years.

3. rosepickle says:

Last time i can remember of having this much snow was back when i was like 4 or 5. I use to be able to dig tunnels in the snow……..Wish my son was old enough to play in the snow cause id be right out there with him no doubt!!!

4. Noel Petit says:

Our record snowfall for a season is ’83-84 and the amount is very easy to remember: 98.6″ We are still a long way off.

5. Kenny says:

I thought the record was 98 inches set back in 91-92!!!!