Flock Of Wild Turkeys Stops Traffic In Mpls.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A flock of wild turkeys brought traffic to a stop Wednesday in a big city neighborhood.

They stroll through the shopping district on Johnson Street in Northeast Minneapolis about twice a month.

Comments

1. Foster Stängel says:

My wife and I have watched them grow since last spring here in Nordeast. It’s actually a mom with her five chicks (now adults). They’ve been entertaining us for months now as we walk our dog or sit on our front porch!

We know where they roost every night, and no, we won’t share the secret spot with Dennis!

1. dgrinolds says:

Thanks for looking out for them:) We also live nearby and know their roosting place (shhhh:). They are lucky to have found an accommodating neighborhood. I hope they can survive the freeze approaching. My dogs walk by w/o even taking notice anymore – they are part of our neighborhood and we hope they remain.🙂

1. Beth says:

I like dgrinolds’ & Paul’s comments. The birds have passed by my door step many a quiet morning. Beautiful birds and their coo is sweet. I hope they stay off Johnson street!! Crazy kids!

2. Foster Stängel says:

I can’t say I’d send any dog of mine at them after seeing their talons up close. They’re much too big by now and my dog’s smart enough to know better! He’d be lucky to only lose an eye.

Besides, I admire how the six of them have stuck together since they were VERY ugly chicks, even through this record Minnesota winter. They eat two at a time, with the other four on lookout duty surrounding them. It’s rare to see something out of a nature show in your front yard in Minneapolis!

3. Team National Wild Turkey Federation says:

Cindy how about we send a pack of dogs after you these birds were almost wipped off the earth at one time outdoors men like myself and many others have worked very had to bring these birds back to the numbers they have today, you should respect that and keep your mouth shut !

4. Shaun Devaney says:

Its a cute story..Where I use to live over in St. Paul, there was a wild turkey who would roam the neighborhood. I know they can’t fly however there was one time I was looking out my bedroom window and say the bird attempt to fly during a strong guest of wind and I watched it “fly” onto my next door neighbors roof.. quite amazing. Only in Minnesota as my friend would say.. to the “National Wild Turkey Federation” poster whom made a comment about sending a pack of dogs after Cindy .. CHILL OUT! There is a big difference between being demonstrative and being snide and crass.. Learn to differentiate the two.

5. Paul says:

PJ
    Oh but they can fly quite well went they wish. When I”m hunting in cover and one gets up it’s like having a Huey chopper take off next to you. They are spectacular birds and it is wonderful to have them back in Minnesota. I live down here in Rock county but my friend in Maplewood has them in his yard nearly every morning. Our population down here is growing larger every year as well. As a member of the National Wild Turkey Federation I would say leave them alone and enjoy their presence. When I went to the U I was always proud that Minnesotans in the cities would stop on busy streets and highways to let wildlife such as Momma ducks and their chicks cross. It sill amazes me how creatures have adopted to city life as we crowd their habitat. Life will find a way (if we let it).

6. Paul says:

PJ
    Oh but they can fly quite well when they wish. When I”m hunting in cover and one gets up it’s like having a Huey chopper take off next to you. They are spectacular birds and it is wonderful to have them back in Minnesota. I live down here in Rock county but my friend in Maplewood has them in his yard nearly every morning. Our population down here is growing larger every year as well. As a member of the National Wild Turkey Federation I would say leave them alone and enjoy their presence. When I went to the U I was always proud that Minnesotans in the cities would stop on busy streets and highways to let wildlife such as Momma ducks and their chicks cross. It sill amazes me how creatures have adopted to city life as we crowd their habitat. Life will find a way (if we let it).

7. Cindy says:

My life partner and I just love them! Since the turkeys have arrived we hardly ever have to walk the pit bulls. They just pooped out when they come in, especially our attack dog, ‘one eyed jack.’
    Cyn.

8. Greg Laden says:

Aha!!!! I was wondering where the Roseville flock went!!

9. Greg Laden says:

Does WCCO really not have standards regarding racist comments?