Mpls. Teachers’ Contract Had $3.7 Million Error

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The new teachers’ contract will cost Minneapolis millions more than expected.

School board officials said someone with the district made a huge clerical error. That person underestimated the cost of the contract by $3.7 million.

Minneapolis Schools Superintendent Bernadeia Johnson told school board members about the problem at a board meeting Tuesday night.

The district said its budget did have a cushion for the teacher’s contract, so they won’t have to make big cuts to deal with the mess.

Comments

1. Sick Of It All says:

Had a 3.7 million dollar cushion in the contract? How stupid do these people think we are? Good God……yea my last rase had a $30 an hour error….but I just told my company not to worry….I had a cushion buitl in…..

2. bee says:

The person that “underestimated the cost” better be looking for a new job!

1. Skeezer says:

They’ll get promoted !!

3. Gomer says:

No kidding. Someone didn’t know how to use the autosum feature? You need a better finance person for sure!!!

4. cindy says:

…and this district is teaching our children!

5. Benny Hill says:

Moe, Larry, & Curly, or maybe Benny Hill.
    I wish the report would state what percent 3.7 million will add to the budget.

6. jd says:

3.7 million error – cushion built in???
    am I the only one that thinks this sounds a little fishy?

7. CHANGE NOW says:

2 things…

OK..#1- the person who made the error will NOT lose their job…Why…..Teachers UNION…as a matter of fact….why do I think they will be getting a RAISE!

#2- The WHOLE Govt Payroll needs to be revamped! Now teachers DESERVE GOOD PAY! But the REST of the Govt Mule, needs an overhaul!!!

Govt pay/benefits NEED to be inline with the private sector! NOW!

1. Bob says:

#1 I would highly doubt that the person who made this mistake is a member of the teacher union.

#2 Public employees don’t do as well as the private sector when times are good, but they do better when times are not as good. It evens out over the long haul. Right now, people talk about how “great” public employees are doing. In a few years, many of those public employees will with that they were in the private sector.

1. facts vs fiction says:

@Bob….

Ok…My question is….facts……
        Mine….Here:
        I would like to know where you are getting yours….

8. Bernie J. says:

beyond comment !!!

9. One more piece says:

Again.Bob…..You have SOME validity to your comment…..except…it’s only 30 years old….another piece of proof…..
    Since 1980…..I have been right….fro 1950-1980…..you were right…..

10. wtfisupwithus says:

and we wonder why the schools can’t stay a float? maybe the administration needs to retake a few math classes? wow, epic FAIL!