Trees Of Hope: Donate to Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance at 1-800-542-9226 or click here. | More

Lesbian Couple Allowed To Walk In H.S. Processional

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) — The two lesbian students who were nominated to royalty court at Champlin Park High School will be allowed to walk in together, according to a statement.

Mediation took place Saturday afternoon between the students, their legal council and Anoka-Hennepin School District officials after it was suggested that the traditional way of having the royalty walk in — in male-female pairs — would’ve forced two male students to walk in together.

Sarah Lindstrom and Desiree Shelton, both 18 years old, filed court papers on Friday, arguing the school’s decision violated their constitutional rights to free speech.

The teens were elected to the royalty court for the Snow Days Pep Fest. They wanted to make a political statement by entering together, but the school was concerned about the reaction that might provoke.

The new plan will allow everyone nominated to walk in with “a meaningful person in their life,” the statement said.

That will allow Lindstrom and Shelton the opportunity to walk together in the processional. The students said, through the press statement, they were pleased with the decision and gratified by the district’s “commitment to honoring all students.”

The statement indicated no further legal action would be pursued.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. pat says:

Notice how years of tradition have to be set aside for two special people. And wow overnight theywere ready for a lawsuit. you know this was a put up job.

1. Nate says:

What is so wrong with traditions changing?! They change all the time in society! Are you also disappointed in the tradition of women not being allow to vote being no longer the case?

1. Pat says:

I don’t want to hear any lament about how the Indians or any other culture has been subverted when you want to take 5,000 years of tradition and religious and societal beliefs and subverta and throw it all away for a few.

2. Lynn Karin Ness says:

Lib..Ughh..ridiculous…why don’t you research what marriage was like 5000 years ago. Do you really believe that there was love associated with marriage with a pastor and a white dress? Marriage was never in the interests of love and was often polygamous….and girl once she was able to reproduce ahd little choice in the matter. Don’t start talking about pre-historic “rituals” so nostalgically.

2. Shaun says:

Thanks!!! Atleast CBS has the decency to recognize when bigots have gone to far and remove hateful and threatening comments from this Board.

3. greg says:

Times and things have changed since you were a student in 1948. Get with the times. Hope your kids live up to your expectations.

4. Senior Student says:

I’m pretty impressed that there is a school board member willing to publicly call this whole thing “ridiculous” and say “the girls should have been allowed to walk together.” Takes guts to speak up against the establishment when you have to sit at the same table with the bigots! Go Mr. Wenzel! Why don’t the rest of them take a lesson from him and relax a little. Our student government should have made this decision – not the ‘upper administration’.

5. Lynn Karin Ness says:

How is this even relevant?

1. lib says:

We can allow any life style in a public school, but not prayer.

6. ohoh says:

What happens next year when somone wants to walk with the pet they love? Hey it is just a different kind of love.

1. Paul says:

Sadly there would be less hatred towards it.

2. MJJ says:

That is a non-sequitur argument! You are equating a family pet with two sapient humans who happen to both be students at the school and elected by the other students!

3. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

If the person and their pet get voted as prom royalty then so what? The students lick whom they want. Democracy always been a problem for you?

1. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

pick, pick whom they want! Oh well, who cares?

4. Joe says:

That’s as demeaning and rediculous as saying

“What happens next year when someone wants to sacrafice their first born son to God? Hey it’s just a different kind of religion. ”

It is nothing but an overreaction that is said for the sole purpose of belittling and demeaning another’s beliefs or way of life.

7. Victim Du Jour says:

Public Schools are suppose to be for math and science, and that’s it.

Liberal activism is a mode of worship and a belief system like religion, and public schools are not being paid to be a political battle ground, or political police for special intrest groups.

1. Paul says:

I think you missed some of the biggest lessons of school if you think it was only about math and science.

2. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

Hate activism or rightist activism, same thing actualy, should be forced on all students? That is what your saying correct?

8. Victim Du Jour says:

Gays are not being targeted by anyone in the Twin Cities, it only appeases false Victimhood and those who pretend they are fake 2nd class citizens for special treatment.

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

There is no special treatment here…just same treatment. If you don’t mean to target them in this instance or treat them differently, then I suppose you have no issue with these two girls? Where is the special treatment?

1. Victim Du Jour says:

Egypt is on the brink of war, and somehow being gay is a bigger deal.

Gays have it pretty good in the USA, always have.

2. ohoh says:

Gays receive all kinds of special treatment starting with criminal justice. If some one physically attacks me they will do jail time, if someone attacks a gay person they will do more jail time for the same offence. Special treatment.

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

I lived in Houston Texas in the seventies and remember very well the gay bashing in Montrose. I remember people going out to just beat up gays..that is abhorrent and wrong.

1. ohoh says:

How about being beaten because you are a woman, or just because you are a white man? Isn’t that abhorrent and wrong?

9. Billy says:

If they are hot let them make out in front of the whole school. If they are ugly expell them.

10. Lynn Karin Ness says:

No one is stopping you from paryaing anywhere…this is a specious argument. In addition,. I saw your earlier comment from the previous article about this subject…”now we have to bend over for gays”…very Christ-like of you…hypocrite.

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

You cannot be expelled from school for praying…and if you want institutionalized prayer in schools..there are plenty of parochial schools around. I don’t want my kids praying in school with a teacher of whom I don’t even know what religious affiliation they are…

2. lib says:

Lynn you know I am right if these women were to try and pray they would not be allowed to. Why not start a gay school, oh wait if you did that there wouldn’t be anybody to sue, no money to get and no endless attention to receive.

3. Lynn Karin Ness says:

Of course, they would be allowed to pray…you are wrong. No one stops anyone from praying..and it seems that it is you that gives gays a lot of attention..what’s that about? Reaction formation?

11. Lynn Karin Ness says:

If one is not accorded the same rights as another…that is called discrimination.

12. Lynn Karin Ness says:

Not neccesarily..it depends on the nature of the attack. If it was meant to target a gay person because of who they are..yes…but if it is a random attack, then..no..there is no difference.

1. lib says:

So being gay makes you elegible for special rights? What if someone were beaten just because they were white?

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

Then ..that would be a racial attack.

2. MJJ says:

perhaps you could elaborate on what these special rights are, and explain how exactly this event equates to a physical assault. Good thing your kind are slowly dying off!

13. pat says:

For decades the licentious have argued that morality is a personal decision and therefore not subjected to societies standards. Consenting adults is the only moral srandard. “Dont force your morality on us” has been screamed by liberals for decades. The other side of that is don’t force the exponentially destructive consequences of your morality on society. Don’t let feelgoodism get in the way of what is really going on here…the destruction of a society in its infancy.

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

The don’t ever lie, take the Lord’s name in vain or judge others….look at your own morality…

14. Mark from Minnesota Tax Waste says:

I think they should have more rights like 10% off of KY now get back in the closet

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

How enlightened and intelligent..any more cogent comments? Gays do not have to get back in the closet. Get over it,

2. mick says:

like your way of thinking !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

LOL..actually, straight, married and two adult chidlren!

15. Victim Du Jour says:

WCCO isn’t letting me post a comment about a hoax hate crime at St Cloud University.

16. Victim Du Jour says:

Laws punish everyonecthe same for violence, it doesn’t matter who the victim is.

17. Funny Because It's True says:

As a parent of a CPHS Senior, I can assure you that nearly every morning there are a group of students who hold hands and circle the American flag, and have a moment of prayer.

This entire incident has been completely blown out of proportion. They didn’t “run” for Snow Days Court – their friends nominated them. The MSM, once again, gets their facts completely wrong.

I do wish, however, that the SPLC did not get involved. They’re nothing more than the ACLU on steroids, and by throwing their weight around, they completely politicized this situation.

18. Kevin says:

Biggots? Discriminatgion? No! We just refuse the Gay lifestyle due tdo religious belief….you know the relligious beliefs that dont mater to people like you….God will deal with this in time….

19. Steve.. says:

Lib….on the spot!!!!!!!!!!!! No God…..but teenage gays can fondle away….this Nation is done…

1. MJJ says:

Anyone who wishes to pray is free to do so! Nobody will stop you! The only illegal aspect is if the school itself organizes or participates in official school business! So stop trying to mislead people with your nonsense!

20. Nate says:

Happy to see all parties come to a respectful agreement. For those that think the two girls should not have walked together, shame on you. Thankfully the majority our young generation views gays in a more respectful and accepting light. Rest assured arguments like this will not happen in 10 years. And yes, gays will be able to marry every where in the US. Accept that fact and move on. It’s the right thing for society.

1. David says:

You’re deluding yourself but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

1. Linda N says:

David–I think the trends are pretty clear. Protections and rights for gays have been on the rise for two decades. This trend is not going to revert no matter how much you would like it to.

21. sheila says:

Have any of YOU read the BIBLE ? NOT !! It say God will punish all who lay together of the same sex !!! You will be PUNISHED !!! SIN SIN SIN . God made men and women for each other, NOT 2 men, or 2 women together !!

1. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

No it says MAN shall not lay with MAN. Seems God musta kinda liked that girl on girl thing too eh……

2. Kevin G says:

Do you believe and obey everything Leviticus says in the Bible?!? I sure hope not…
      Don’t let cattle graze with other kinds of Cattle, Don’t have a variety of crops on the same field, Don’t wear clothes made of more than one fabric, Don’t cut your hair nor shave, If a man sleeps with a woman on her period, they are both to be “cut off from their people” , Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned, If a priest’s daughter is a prostitute, she is to be burnt at the stake, People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God

1. Lynn Karin Ness says:

I am gay and I love it, I have been with the same woman for 25 years and we have two adopted children.

2. Ryan says:

If you made it past the Old Testament you would find that we are under a new covenant. Religion is dead brother, it’s all about your faith in Jesus. Believe it or not but you are a descendent of Adam and Eve not Adam and Adam or Eve and Eve

22. Shaun says:

23. Get Real says:

Sheila, let god take care of it. Love your neighbor. Didn’t Jesus hang out with lepers and prostitutes?

24. Shaun says:

Kevin–I hope he does judge! Because my God believes that these girls should be able to love each other. He will be judging you for not loving your neighbors, including the gays.

25. Sue says:

this is the equivalent of not letting 2 people walk because they are black. It’s sick, it baffles my mind how anyone could think that is ok to not let them walk together. some of these comments are just as disgusting, how can people, in 2011, still think that way.

26. krocko says:

It is so easy to have an opinion on this.BUT,for all you preachers,doesnt GOD say`dont judge lest you be judged`.Live your life your way.Leave you opinions at home.It is a sin to go around passing judgement.That is GODs job,not yours…

1. MJJ says:

I guess that’s all fine and dandy…..for those who happen to believe in the same god as you I assume! Religion is a fairy tale for grown ups!

27. Dave Seavy says:

For those who say God will punish these girls, perhaps you’d better go back and re-read the Bible. In there, you will also find the passage that says “Judge not, lest you be judged.” Let God do the judging. He’s far more accurate than any human is.

28. Paul says:

I don’t think it’s God that you’re listening too and the student body at this school seems far more Christian to me than you.

29. Julie says:

Ah the “Gender Card” nice move…. and the lawsuit… Savy…Using a threat to get what you want…

1. Sarah says:

it is what it is Mick🙂

30. Jim Hamilton says:

@sheila,…… I thought ‘your’ god was a kind, loving god?

31. Love:) says:

At first I wasn’t proud to call myself a champlin park student but now I am. I am happy they get to walk and people need to stop judging. Love is love you can love who ever li want.

32. besen says:

lets face it there are all differant kinds of biggotary there are the anti gays , anti women , anti whites , anti hispanics , anti Christians , anti what ever you can think of I will not nor shall I judge a person due to there race religious beliefs or sexual preferance providing its with somone of legal age we are all human beings we all bleed the same color do you see the common cold going ” OH Heck no there gay or there white cant get them ” no you dont but biggotary is a cancer in socicty ( excuse the misspelled words) .
    all the people in the world in my neighbor brothers and sisters alike ..
    Ya all dont like that Oh well no sweat off my Hind end

1. Jody says:

Besen … I got passed up on a promotion this year…Yes, I have a male supervisor and I have a feeling he’s “keeping me in my place”. Is it wrong that I am thinking of filing a lawsuit against the company I work for? I’ve been with the company long enough and my female coworkers have always said, “We should have more female managers” What do you think?

1. Jody says:

Sarah and Desiree have been an inspiration for me to do so…

2. besen says:

before contacting a lawyer I would contact your human resorce person if that dont work then consult an lawyer . I also know the feeling of being passed over for promotion I was in the army for 10 years and I got passed over for promotion 3 times due to equal rights laws we had to have a ceartin amount of black , hispanic and female NCO in each unit .
        unfortunately todays socicity has gotten this way .

33. Louis says:

Sheila: This is America! Your bible is only one of many religious books. Your bible is not the law of the land. Your bible does say that slavery is OK as long as slaves are not from your your own land, it also says that women are the property of men. And it says that disabled people may not take part in a religious ceremony. Do you also believe these things? Do you know about the religious diversity of America and how this is a society where church and state are to be separate? That includes our human rights! Our human rights are not to be tied to some religious, outdated book.

1. Ryan says:

Louis- Where in the bible does it say slavery is OK? Where does it say women are property of men? Disabled people not taking part in religious ceremony? I see people all the time at church who are in wheelchairs. You may want to read up on the Word of God before you state so many false accusations against the Bible. Freedom of Speech has nothing to do with someone’s actions, look up the word speech.

1. Dave says:

Ryan–are you delusional? Try reading the following: Genesis 3:16, Exodus 20:17, Hosea 3:2, Exodus 21:7, Deuteronomy 5:21, Genesis 9:25-27, Leviticus 25:44-46, Exodus 21:2-6, Leviticus 21:16-21

2. Lynn Karin Ness says:

Apparently, you have not read the Bible….

3. Ryan says:

Dave- Not delusional but under a new covenant! Which is called the New Testament. Faith in Jesus and He came to restore all that is broken. I too could throw a bunch of scripture up here which I have read many times over and read almost everyday. Bottom line is that nobody gets to the Father except through Jesus. Sorry Dave but you may have not come across that one seeings how you are stuck in the Old Testament. Read John 14:6. I think you need to spend some time in the New Testament to break that religion of you. God Bless!

4. Dave says:

That’s great Ryan. Thanks for enlightning us that we can believe the parts of the bible that we choose. Furthermore, if you are going to just agree with the New Testament, then what makes a New, New Testament so far fetched? Perhaps God and Jesus just need to update their teachings. People change, religions change, societies change. On top of that there are a lot of different and amazing religions in this world and to think yours is better than others is arrogance at its finest. Accept and embrace differences.

5. Ryan says:

Dave- I don’t pick and choose what I want to believe. Jesus is the way the truth and the life. By the way the 3 are 1 ” The Trinity” God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Dave, love you man! God bless you and I wish the best for you!

34. Victim Du Jour says:

Public Schools are suppose to be teaching Math and Science, and that’s it.

Most of the cool kids don’t go to school dances anyway.

35. Ryan says:

That is true that we should not judge BUT sin is sin and those of us who believe in the “word” ( Bible ) this is extremely wrong and it is teaching our kids that sin is ok. This is a perversion they have chosen and I personally will fight for the sake of my kids innocence. It’s not judging but discernment. It’s for this very reason parents with a biblical view will stand up for their kids!

1. MJJ says:

thats fine, believe what you wish! These two students might not share those beliefs! And it is NOT the duty of the school to impose YOUR beliefs on the entire school! Keep your religion to yourself!

1. Ryan says:

MJJ – It’s for that very reason America will fall flat on her face. By the way religion is dead and it died a little over 2000 years ago. Sorry but my FAITH in Jesus will not be silenced, so my faith can not be kept to myself. God bless you!!

2. MJJ says:

Nobody says you have to be “silenced”, however you CANNOT impose your fairy tales on people via schools/government, thats what your church is for. It is letting go of religion that will move this country forward and make it better!

36. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

News Flash! There are gay people in the world, and the world hasn’t come to an end. Personaly I find it a bit funny that so many rightists tale offence with gays but so many rightists, polititians, priests, etc. are not just gay but pedophiles too. How does THAT work anyhow?

1. Sheryl says:

Biscuit…
      I’m sure there are liberals who take offense to gays as well, your statement is stereotyping…

37. Terry says:

That’s it. No more money for these schools until we get back to the basics of education. Isn’t that what our kids are there for? What did this latest fiasco cost us?

38. Nancy Aleshire says:

There is no reason why these two girls shouldn’t walk together . I am a Christian, but they are not hurting anyone. The Bible says “hate the sin, but love the sinner” Let these girls be.

39. DaveM says:

“Times have changed”–immorality is now “in”. Get with it!

40. Lynn Karin Ness says:

Sorry..HE made them gay.

41. Steve says:

Way to teach! You cant say God in school…but you can lick each other?

42. Kevin says:

You cant say God in school…but you can lick each other? Nice…..

43. Laurie Jackson Sinclair says:

What the???? How is it that so many people can still be hung up on religion and what’s right and wrong according to their “religion???” How much time, energy, money and resources are wasted every day in an effort to fight something that is based soley on one man/woman’s opinion??? Give it up people! Put your time and effort into the fact that so many of your churches are still so archaic that they don’t allow women to be pastors, preists and ministers. You complain about the liberal side trying to force their beliefs on you. Well guess what??? Human Rights trump Religious Rights. Without human rights, you would not have religious rights.. The so-called-god I believe in, loves EVERYONE. Maybe you should give it a try.

44. Jess says:

The bigotry here is hurtful.

45. Katie says:

I am glad that they get to walk in together, Its about time that someone accepts them. I hate when people think that they dont deserve to be happy or that they should not get any special treatment. Well guess what. I think they should because being an LGBT student is pretty difficult ask my dead friends. Oh and they are just like everyone else if not better because they are actually able to be themselves without allowing anyone to make them want to hide it. They arent fake. I look up to LGBT students are come out about it. I admire them. I wish people would start acting like them and actually be who they are instead of pretending to be something they arent. FTW