ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) – Gov. Mark Dayton says he doesn’t expect to include new gambling dollars in the state budget he will present in two weeks.
The Democratic governor told reporters Tuesday there won’t be a casino component to his forthcoming budget.
Dayton indicated support for a state-owned casino as a candidate last year. A budget plan his campaign released included a state-owned casino at or near the Mall of America in Bloomington or the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. He said then that such a casino could produce up to $80 million for the state right away.
Now he says the money wouldn’t come in soon enough so it won’t be in his budget.
Minnesota faces a projected $6.2 billion deficit over the coming two years.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)