Lawmakers Want More Security On Northern Border

WASHINGTON (AP) — A new government report says that less than 1 percent of the 4,000-mile U.S.-Canada border is considered under the operational control of U.S. border officials.

The chairman of the Senate’s Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee, Connecticut Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman, calls the report alarming. He released it with Sen. Susan Collins, a Maine Republican.

The report by the Government Accountability Office says Customs and Border Protection believes it can detect illegal entries, respond and deal with them on only about 32 miles of the northern border.

The GAO also found that border officials can detect illegal entries over only about one quarter of the northern border.

1. in all fairness says:

I always thought we had a problem with illegal canadians sneeking across the border. We need to enact a law similar to Arizona. We better start checking white people for proper I.D.

2. Matt says:

The GREAT WALL OF AMERICA!! Need I say more?

1. Justified says:

We are not worried about Canadians, There are a lot more muslim radicals in Canada than Mexico, and we can only patrol 32 miles out of 4000? Yea, I’d be just a tad worried.

3. Tommy Kramer says:

I think we hardy Minnesotans are more tolerant of the Canadians than the Arizonans are of the Mexicans. Tell the Feds to save their money. We are good up here.

1. Ditto says:

Agreed. Perhaps the feds could find more productive uses for our tax dollars.

2. Mike Hawk says:

#9, you still drinking?

4. Gerald Wambach says:

Another solution in search of a problem.

5. Bill says:

Typical beauruecrats can’t tell north from south! Idiots!

6. deborah says:

The Canadians are more alert to our entry into their country with questions,proof of id and sometimes searched…as from my experience visiting there. Let them flip the security bill and use our funds for our needed landscape areas from housing to education.

7. Joe says:

I don’t care who enters anymore. I really don’t. WCCO knocked off my last comment. I wasn’t rude etc.