An Elderly Couple’s Defiant Stand Against Armed Robber

By James Schugel, WCCO-TV

ST. CHARLES, Minn. (WCCO) — A 91-year-old Minnesota man and his 82-year-old wife say they weren’t scared, but the guy trying to rob them sure was.

A masked intruder wanting money barged into Wally and Betty’s apartment in St. Charles over the weekend. However, he got something in return.

Wally was sitting at his computer when the man entered his home.

“He just stood there in that doorway, standing there with a shovel,” said Wally. “I thought, ‘what the hell is going on here?’ I thought it was a joke!”

After hearing all the commotion, his wife, Betty, went to the front of the house and found him on the floor. Wally had been punched in the nose and it was bleeding.

“I sat on the edge of the bed. He says, ‘give me your hands! I’m going to tie you up!’ And I said, ‘No, I don’t think so,” Betty said.

They both resisted. It happens to be in Wally’s blood. The World War 2 veteran wasn’t about to give in to the guy’s demands — his wife wasn’t either.

After a couple minutes of struggling, the man ran out the door with nothing.

“I’m damn near 92 years old. So, I’ve lived my life. He’s got his ahead of him, and it might not be too rosy, you know?” Wally said.

The couple will celebrate their 63rd wedding anniversary in March.

“I’m just thankful that everything turned out OK,” said Betty.

Comments

1. Sam says:

Hero of the day to Wally and his wife. Incredible.

1. Bob says:

A few years ago, my Mom was at home when a burgler entered her home. She leveled a 12 gauge double barreled shotgun and the criminal ran. This was a defensive use of a firearm without a shot being fired.

2. JC says:

What can you say???

It’s true, this man truly is a part of “THE GREATEST GENERATION”
        No doubt about it.

Too bad they are being replaced by the ME Generation….SAD

1. joshbot says:

“…police generally don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands, because it is better to play it safe”!?!?!” Every single founding father is back flipping in their grave. I was really hoping that this would have had a gun involved on the parts of the residents. Notice the police aren’t suggesting people simply arm themselves like we should. Instead we are told to roll over and take a good ol’ fashion pillaging. My grandparents will blow your head off if you bust in their homes and so will I. MAKES ME SICK!

1. COkid says:

Right on joshbot!

2. john says:

here, here !! “Evil only triumphs when good men do nothing”. I’ve got a CCW permit and it’s every citizen’s responsibility to get one. It will make our society safer.

3. AtillaTheHun says:

No no no! Head shots are risky. Go for the body mass.

4. Jeff McCurry says:

Arm yourself and play it safe!!!We have to be able to defend ourselves in these crazy times or kiss your ass goodbye.The couple in Minnesota are an example to us all…we can’t wait for someone to save us…we have to be able to defend ourselves.I know the police get there as soon as they can but sometimes that is too late.Thank you to all the of the officers that respond to calls such as these!!

5. Martin says:

Yep, I’ve got a CCW permit too and generally sleep with my revolver on my nightstand, so anyone wishing to attempt a home invasion isn’t going to get too far. So goes for messing around in public.
        A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

2. dave says:

Where do you see he was black? It’s people like you that inflame race issues.

3. ? says:

you idiot look at Mcnaught’s link it says he was white!
      Freaking racist people

4. Hakim says:

Actually, people have just gotten used to the “code.” It’s okay to mention the skin color of a suspect in a news article when the suspect is white, but it’s relatively rare to see skin color mentioned when the suspect is black. Tell me why else articles that include descriptions of height, weight, hat, shirt, pants, jacket, tattoos, identifying marks, etc. don’t say a word about skin color. It’s a question of journalistic integrity. It’s not racist to assume that because of political correctness, if skin color isn’t mentioned, that the suspect likely was a person of color.

1. Lee0521 says:

that’s because the perps usually ARE a person of colour….brown or black, to be exact.

2. listingstarboard says:

“The code” also extends to political party–if the wrongdoer is a white Republican it is mentioned 14 times, if no mention of party is made the perp is always a Democrat.

5. BIll Lynes says:

The discription of the dirt bag was a white male in his early twenties, etc. read the second to last paragraph in the article. Good Lord, read the article don’t assume!

6. TruthHasNoAgenda says:

Actually it says in the 12th paragraph that the young man was white not black.

7. BIll Lynes says:

Again read the article the second to last paragraph give a complete description including the statement that he was white!!!!

8. Captain Incredulous says:

I think you need to re-read the article. It said that the “suspect was white in his early 20’s with a black stocking cap and a gray ski mask”.

9. branden says:

My god ur stupid, get an education dude, and learn to read! its written right in the article… its people like you that make unnecessary kayos in the world.

1. Honest Kent says:

“It is my occupation to be plain.”
        “ur” “kayos” Get an education “dude”.

2. Anon says:

Learn to write! You’re absolutely full of grammatical and spelling errors. ‘Kayos’? Chaos, fool. ‘It’s’ plain to see ‘you’re’ not as educated as you think.

10. Todd says:

“The man is described as a white man in his early 20s”. Did you read the article?

Besides, MN has pretty good laws about defending yourself in your own home. They have nothing to fear but the jerk who tried to rob them.

11. Richard Carpenter says:

No, of course police “don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands.” Brave people are hard to govern. Brave people question authority, something the cowardly little runt cops of today cannot deal with except in a Taser temper tantrum. Brave people might not NEED cops to show up in three minutes in case of a home invasion. Brave people might shoot home invaders dead, including police who break into the wrong house, something that happens WAY too often. Police used to say “Come out with your hands up; you are completely surrounded.” Today, they think it more fun to charge in and shoot people who don’t understand what is happening.
      Suggestion for all: don’t even CALL the police. Shoot the home invader and call your LAWYER.

12. Titus says:

Since when is it wrong to include ALL descriptions of a suspect in a crime?

13. JW says:

Second to last paragraph…The man is described as a white man in his early 20s…

14. Latch says:

YOU LEARN TO READ…JUNIOR!

15. Linz says:

Only thing miissing is the handgun or other weapon for self/home defense……old folks can usually shoot pretty straight….look at Florida or Texas or Alaska stories…”If you want to know about *MY* opinion on gun control…….just try to break into my house.” Really simple.

16. Craig says:

You know what they say,,,, When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2. JB says:

Dear Bob, they did. If they tell you it was a white male, well then you know it is a white male. If they do not give you a race, well then you know it is a “minority.”

1. Ed Hillenbrand says:

As in the press only gives a dirty pol’s pary if he is a republican?

2. Kizhe says:

This reminds me…
      I worked in Africa about 10 years ago. There were Russian pilots/crews and some ‘Western’ pilots working. I worked with American company. Safety conditions were poor as you may imagine. And you bet there were crashes. But what I noticed.. if there was a “Russian crash” news media said like: “‘Russian build plane crashed…”. If Western plane crashed no details of plane’s origin were usually given. Ha, Ha!

1. Titust says:

In case of the Western crashes it has been already established that the major factor in the crash was gravity.

3. jess says:

Bull. I’ve seen many articles state if it was a black male. I’m clueless why they did not include his race in this article. It is much more helpful than “early 20’s 5’10”.

4. Lori Payne says:

it’s the other way around. if a race is not specified it’s a white person.
      non-whites are always described as such.

3. MB says:

Word to the wise…….Don’t mess with us ‘old folks’.

1. JohnDave says:

I have a loaded gun. Anyone that even tries to break in or rob us is instantly dead.
      No trial, no jail bill, no chance to try it again. Just dead. Tits up. BTW, no Fed. or anyone else will ever touch my gun or they will be tits up also.

1. SOS4USA says:

We know that break ins are possible near where we stay in the countryside, so we are practiced in how to act, what to say, and where the guns are and we keep them loaded and ready + just in case. But hope that no one pushes that, because a good swift kick in the groin may do the trick instead, and there is always the attack cats.

2. Julio Pezuka says:

John Dave, you have me laughing my a$$ off right now. I could swear that I wrote this.

2. catblue says:

Yep another elderly saving themselves and/or others… Remember it was an elderly man that was nicked with a bullet and an elderly woman that put an end to the Arizona shooter!!! Most of the young in this country would just stand there dumb founded.

1. Vestor says:

CATBLUE:
        You have hit the nail on the head today’s young people think everything is free and that the world owes them a living (as do many others) they only have a big mouth if they can bully someone, but let the tables turn and they shiver and shake like chimps in a snow storm.

Vestor

2. ShadowCat says:

Vestor, In many cases, I’d say you are right. But, I have two kids who would take Capone’s advice; he pulls a knife, you pull a gun.
        Heck, my son would shoot until the magazine was empty, then fix bayonet and charge, while my daughter provided suppressive fire.

4. Peter says:

The police are WRONG. NEVER cooperate when you are in your own castle. Good for you wally. Too bad your .45 wasn’t within reach.

5. jb says:

@JB

Where EXACTLY does the article say the robber was a white male?

1. Flashman says:

Are you guys reading the same article I am? This one states clearly the race and description of the perp.

Next to last para: “The man is described as a white man in his early 20s, with a black stocking cap and gray ski mask. He’s said to be about 5-foot-10, with a slender build, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and black nylon jogging pants.”

6. Mons says:

“…because it is better to play it safe”?? The bad guy wants to hurt you. Why cooperate with that?

1. Tom says:

Because it’s more politically correct than telling residents “If an intruder breaks into your house, break out your .45 and do us all a favor”.

Which is exactly what I’d do.

7. Mike M says:

Wally, next time have a 1911 ACP handy, (or better, a SOS if you dare), to avoid the bloody nose and do your neighbors a favor by preventing the vermin from bothering anyone else.

1. ShadowCat says:

Back when I did security consultancy, I used to recommend a 20 ga. pump with an 18.75″ cylinder bore and #4 buckshot.
      Gives you a nice wide pattern, increased chances of scoring a hit, and the smaller pellets don’t over-penetrate wallboard.
      Plus, there aren’t too many folks in the world who don’t know what that slippery, metallic “clack-clack” sound means.
      Not everyone speaks English. But, they all speak Shotgun

1. proudnot2bliberal says:

LOL not everyone speaks english but everyone speaks shot gun! Not thats funny! Reminds me of when I used to work security & they would play dumb no undersstand english Id say yeah understand arresto and amazingly thier english would improve and that was 25+ yrs ago.

As for people assuming the perp was black/minority this is a result of the lazy journalism. ((5 of teh time wehn the race “just happens” to be left out the perp is a minority.

2. Michael Mulligan says:

ShadowCat: Why a 20 ga.? Why not 12? #4 seems right, but 20 ga.?

3. shank says:

18.57″ cylinder bore? I’m sure you meant Barrel Length. Otherwise, Thats a REALLY big bore gun. I have a 12 gauge, 18.5″ barrel pump loaded with # 4 shot. I allways recomend a 20 gauge for women…

8. gino says:

Holy “Somalia” , ……….nudge, nudge, wink, wink

1. Mark W says:

Far from it. I live down here near St. Charles in Winona. They advertise in Chicago to move the thugs up here and have been doing this since the 1970’s that I am aware of. One of my great friends is from Chicago and lives in the housing here in Winona and he doesn’t get why they’re more of a priority to get into the housing than even the local homeless folks.

There are next to none Somalians living down here. And for the record, Somalians are pretty brilliant. In fact, all the ones I’ve worked with in the cities were more brilliant than even my fellow whiteys😉 Just sayin’.

This article is obvious as we’ve had a gang of robberies and such down here in Winona by some black folks who are totally getting away with them.

1. Mark W. The Idiot says:

TO MARK W. THE IDIOT

Mark they may be smarter than you but I don’t imagine that would take too much?
        But blacks have ZERO (provable) record of ever accomplishing anything.

9. Lou Gots says:

That “Please don’t hurt me,” advice from the police leaves it up to someone you already know is a very bad person. Better to be the one in control yourself.

Studies on this have compared the results of three possible responses to criminal attack, , giving your self up to the criminal was safer than trying to fight with your bare hands, but the best strategy from the standpoint of your own safety is to resist with a gun.i

1. Tom says:

Actually, barehanded resistance also decreases your chances of personl injury or property loss.

YOU only have to survive such encounters once. THE PERP has to survive every time, so the odds are with the resisters.

10. Tony says:

Police don’t recommend resisting a robber’s demands…better to play it safe. What a bunch of garbage. I guess whichever police officer said that is arrogant enough to think he/she is the only person capable of defending against a robbery.

1. SOS4USA says:

Do the police practice total submissiveness to a robber or a rapist like they are advising the public to do? NO, they practice Krav Maga hand to hand fighting, and target practice and speaking with a tone of authority. So should we, and an old sheriff told me and my fellow ladies at a meeting he spoke at to get armed, because women are the #1 target of violent attacks.

11. whydothistous says:

once again a race less individual committing crimes…what is the point of reporting the crimes when you wont give valuable information you have on the perp to inform the public?

@jb It doesn’t say he is a white male that was his point! I have also noticed this to be true most of the time.

12. 1776Federalist says:

A .410 full of buckshot from a Taurus Judge would have stopped the intruder for good.

1. lonfas says:

Read reviews of the Judge. It’s got some issues with the way it sprays the pellets around. An 870 or 1911 is my choice.

2. JC says:

.410 shot might stop a small snake. It isn’t stopping a bad guy. Especially from a pistol.

Use a standard proven defensive caliber (9mm/.357/.38/.40/.45). Use high quality bonded hollow point ammo from a manufacturer proven in the FBI tests. Better yet, for home defense, use a shotgun and load 00, #1, or at smallest #2 shot. A slug every other round isn’t a bad idea either.

When you make the decision to use deadly force, you have already decided that not using such force, and not stopping the attacker as quickly as possible, will render you very seriously injured or dead. No reason to get creative at that moment. .410 shot has NEVER been considered anything other than bird/clay/snake shot. Ever. Recommending a Taurus Judge, or anything like it (S&W has a similar offering now), is simply irresponsible advice.

1. Winchester/S&W says:

Dude you are stupid. I have shot two doe’s with my .410 They were in my freezer when I shot them two years ago. a .410 can stop a deer. Id love to see you get shot with a .410 and live. Cuz you wouldnt. Ladies and gentlemen we have a Superman here. nothing can hurt him…and the 45/.410 pistols are a force to be reckoned with within a ten or 15 yards.

2. Dustin Hadsell says:

3. Manyarecalled says:

“They were in my freezer when I shot them two years ago.” Sounds like they didnt have a chance if they were already frozen:)

13. eternalgreenknight says:

Everyone should read Armed Response. It’s an easy read available on Amazon. When seconds count, police are minutes away.

14. Yoda says:

I wish the store would have read “Elderly Couple Shoots would be robber”

1. Warhawk says:

If that had been the headline it would not have been reported. Liberal news buries those stories to keep the people thinking that to only thing a gun in the home is good for is hurting your children. Gun owning Americans defend themselves regularly but it just doesn’t make the news.

1. Tom says:

1,500,000 times are year guns save people. The liberal news media will not report any of it.

15. American Woman says:

Where are the Police to “Protect & Serve?”

1. Tom says:

Police have no legal responsibility to protect you as an individual. Their duty is to protect society as a whole. This concept has been upheld in several Supreme Court decisions.

South v. Maryland – Supreme Court ruled that local law enforcement has no duty to protect individuals, only a general duty to enforce the law.

Bowers v. Devito – there is no Constitutional right to be protected from harm by the State

Warren v. District of Columbia – police personnel and government are not liable for failing to provide protection to citizens. In fact, government has no obligation to provide police or fire services; government provides these services as a benefit to the community at large if it so chooses to do so.

Hartzler v. City of San Jose – a police department and its employees enjoy absolute immunity from failure to provide police protection

There are dozens of additional cases which all come to the same conclusion. We are responsible for our own protection and well being.

2. LEL MN says:

Dear “American Woman”, police are not your personal body guard. Take responsibility for your own personal safety.

3. Charles -- Texas says:

Police can’t be there until AFTER the crime. Not their fault, just life/reality. So be prepared yourself. 45 ACP/12 Ga. pump make great preperations.

16. Benjo says:

“police generally don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands, because it is better to play it safe.”

Because victims increase the budgets and benefits for the boys in blue.

Support your local cop, and make SURE he supports your right to defend yourself in your own castle. Just say no to criminals!!

17. Bob Boogie says:

Ron Paul is a nut case racist, dump him too.

1. Brian says:

As a constituent in Ron Paul’s congressional district in TX, I can assure you that Ron Paul is neither a nut case, nor a racist. But I gather from your comment, that you are an idiot. You just can’t cure stupid.

2. BuRgEoNyT says:

Yeah, right….Ron Paul is a total racist; just look at all the legislation he has introduced to stop the abortion of nearly 1,800 black babies a day. What a nut case, huh? Trying to stop the trend of 52% of black people never being born.

Your critical thinking skills are phenomenal.

18. joe says:

“I wish the story would have read “Elderly Couple Shoots would be robber”

PLUS ONE

19. Aunt Bee says:

We have millions of dangerous degenerates now in this country.

20. jimmr says:

Remember the cops are an extension of the government, not an autonomous force.
    The government state or federal makes the laws that allow and even direct the police to do things that violate our rights. And do not forget the courts that tie the hands of the honest police trying to prevent or solve crimes by giving the doer more rights than the injured party.So you might want to thank you friendly honest politician and the bar association the produces and endorses the judges for much of what you blame on the cops, My son is a disabled cop shot in the line of duty – for fairness of disclosure.
    And here here to the suggestion of a 45acp in defense of our castle, or does Minn. allow that most basic of rights?

21. BHarrington says:

I KNOW WHO IT IS………………….well it’s between 4 of my friends…….Steve-Chang-Pedro and Darious! Please Mr. News person, report the facts and just the facts and leave your pathetic “Politically Correct nonsense” at home!

22. porchhound says:

You call people SHEEP and we are supposed to believe you would actually put your life on the line…you people use your clipboards more than your guns and act MOSTLY as TAX COLLECTORS via traffic fines etc. Go have a donut at your UNION HALL.

23. Connie says:

LOL… I’m hearing ya, Bob, I’m hearing ya!

24. Robertf says:

In 1856 the U.S. Supreme Court declared that local law enforcement had no duty to protect a particular person, but only a general duty to enforce the laws. [South v. Maryland, 59 U.S. (How.) 396, 15 L.Ed., 433 (856)]. The Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution gives you no right to police protection. In 1982, the U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, held that:.. there is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen. …In other words, the Supreme Court of the Unit4d States says that it is up to YOU to “protect yourself”, as local police do NOT have a duty to protect your life. So, there are several names I can think of you can rely upon for home protect…Colt, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Taurus, and a number other fine gents that will add their power to protect you when the police won’t or cannot be there!

1. donfitness says:

Brilliant!

25. Bigfingo says:

Dept. of Redundancy Department

I reiterate again, When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

To quote Mr. Churchill “Never give in, Never give in”

Well done Wally.

26. James says:

I don’t own any firearms, but I have weapons stashed in various places across my house. Whether it’s my great great great grandfather’s US cavalry saber, or just a nice baseball bat, they’re located conveniently where I can grab them anytime, and anyone who breaks into my house is getting nothing unless he kills me.

If anyone recalls the movie “A Beautiful Mind,” this is a case where John Nash’s Equilibrium applies: if everyone chooses the safest course–not fighting–then society as a whole loses out as burglary becomes more common. If we all agree as a society to fight rather than be victims, then burglary becomes less common. In other words, the optimal outcome for all means everyone accepting a less optimal (from a risk avoidance perspective) choice for themselves.

1. John says:

James

Don’t bring a Saber or a Bat to a gun fight – You’ll loose. Do society a favor and get yourself a gun and learn to use it. I’d hate to read a story that a guy resisted a break in with a bat and was shot dead!!!!

1. James says:

I agree with you in principle, and I will get a gun eventually. But when I know my house and I’m hiding around a corner, I still think I’m even money or better to take the average gun-wielding assailant. I certainly wouldn’t walk out and confront an intruder with a gun directly, of course that will get you killed.

2. Manyarecalled says:

Bats do not generally make good weapons. Although they do have teeth it would probably be most difficult to get them to bite someone on demand.

27. GenEarly says:

, police generally don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands, because it is better to play it safe. That’s TOTAL BS! Come “uninvited into my house and you are 45acp dead

1. Mark says:

Completely agree. I thought the same thing when I read that. Taurus Judge with .410 flachette rounds are better than the buck shot.

28. Connie says:

You better believe that if an intruder ever entered MY home, I would fight to the death. This “cooperating” advice is total BS. Of course, i would grab my gun as well, and if the sorry SOB was on my property and not in my house, I would shoot first , and then drag him into my house, and THEN call the cops! So beware to all you robber wannabes!

1. CCW Grammy says:

Better take a concealed carry class, Connie. First thing: you need to PROVE your life was threatened. (Dial 911, leave phone laying in area; audio recording occurs.) The intruder needs to be INSIDE your house. The wounds need to be FRONT ENTRY. Stealing your car, being on your property, or the intruder TRYING to enter are insufficient. Nice Rambo scenario, but you will lose ALL in a civil case. Hope you already have a good firearms attorney. Drag them inside? Easy to prove you were outside the law. BE A LAWFUL and SMART GUN OWNER. Your friend, 63 yr old Carrying Grammy

1. Michael Mulligan says:

These laws vary significantly by state. Check with your local NRA or law enforcement.

I had an in-house encounter. Fortunately it was me (.45 ACP hollow point) vs. Meth-head (armed only with stupid). I didn’t shoot because I didn’t have to and the problem was over quickly (Meth-head exit and later arrested). Call me a softie if you want, but I won’t kill unless threatened.

Four of the six deputies who spoke to me later said something like: “He was in your house, you could have shot him.” They were pretty tired of this creap.

Above in King County (now Martin Luther King County), Washington State.

29. bob says:

Punk obviously targeted the elderly couple. Hard to believe he just happened to break into a random apartment. As is the case with many of us who keep ant traps, insect repellant and d-Con in our homes, we all should have handy the antidote for uninvited creepoids: a hand cannon –readily accessible.

30. Garr Obo says:

If Wally, like me, had a .45 Colt sitting on his computer table this story might have ended in a different way.

1. SerfOfObama says:

Yup, they’d be taking the bad guy out of the house with a hose.

31. Tom says:

“…police generally don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands, because it is better to play it safe.” WHAT??? Yeah, just lie down like a lamb and be a good little victim, there. As if the nature and actions of a predator criminal are predictable. How many times can you afford to be wrong about that?

1. James Baker says:

I agree Tom. laying down and waiting for help, didn’t do anyone any good on 9-11-01.
      AND, if every victim of a crime acted like this gentleman, than crooks wouldn’t be crooks. Life as a criminal would be too hard.
      As for me, IF I could put up as much a fight as this guy did, I’d be happy.
      ‘KUDOS to the Greatest generation.
      KUDOS to this OLD GUY.

32. GenEarly says:

I appreciate your service. That being said police are a reaction force,after the crime has been committed to arrest the perp, which is a valuable service and one I gladly pay for. In the interest of preventing crime or stopping it at the point of occurrence, I take full responsibility for my and my family’s safety. CCW 24/7

33. Bill wanger says:

So it was a black guy or a hispanic male? Please tell

1. David Mcnaught says:

White male, so refreshing the racial assumptions that take place.

34. rich says:

you go wally!!! i guess that is why they call those guys THE GREATEST GENERATION. i wish that if that ever happens to me i have the courage that wally and his wife showed.

35. James Baker says:

Stan, stan, stan.,,,
    I am a 22 year military veteran. With 12 of that being in the Reserves. There we had more than a few who were Cops in their civilian jobs. AND a majority of them always thought their S#IT didn’t stink. They thought every person they pulled over deserved it. They bragged about their ticket quotas.
    And in case you missed it: Read up on 2nd amendment issues. MANY cops, routinely violate the 2nd amendment by following ILLEGAL LAWS that confiscate firearms, deny people the ‘right’ to buy one, or where they can carry it.
    One has but to look at DC, NYC, and other anti-gun states. Stories abound of cops who arrested someone for “illegal” gun possession, that, if it were ONE state over, would be totally legal.
    I can conclude, that it is cops like you, that will end up enforcing a tyranical government if it ever came to power. AFTER ALL, you’re just “following the law”.
    Same thing Nazis said.
    OH, as for CALLING the COPS to “help” me when there is trouble. Of the few times I called, COPS did NOTHING.
    1. TEENS assaulted my son. Tualatin OR Police did nothing, even with identities known of perps.
    2. My car broken into, SUSPECT KNOWN by me, Cops didn’t even interview him. SALEM, OR, PD.
    3. My ex wife, smashes my car window. RESULT? BAM. NOTHING.
    But OMG, don’t let me drive 14 miles over the speed limit. Thats a $300 ticket. Even though there was NO ONE ELSE on the ROAD.
    OR at COLUMBINE, where the SWAT team waited OUTSIDE, because, “it wasn’t safe for them.” Yes I’m sure the unarmed students were glad for that answer as Kliebold and Harris were shooting at them.
    So please, don’t act like Police aren’t Wanna be dictators, wanna be soldiers who think since they got a gun and a badge, they deserve more benefits and respect than an actual Soldier.
    You’re a SERVANT. Not a Saint.

36. PAUL says:

TO BAD THE COUPLE DID NOT HAVE A GUN…

37. philip edwards says:

We don’t have home robberies or home invasions in the northern hills of Kentucky. Most residents are veterans and hunters and we respect
    and protect each other. Any person or persons who wish to test us
    are welcome, we all need a little target practice once in a while. See ya.

38. Tom says:

Stan, Thanks for doing the difficult, dangerous job you do. I agree with Hank in so far as the police get there in time to collect evidence… when seconds count, the police are just minutes away. But how is that your fault? I only carry a gun because you guys are too damn heavy. Hank is way off base with his other comments. Thankfully, not many are in his camp.

39. PAUL says:

EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW STATES ARE STRAPPED FOR CASH ..AND LOOKING FOR WAYS TO REDUCE THEIR PRISON POPULATIONS….THHERE WILL BE MORE OF THIS!!!!!!

CHECK YOUR STATE TO SEE HOW MANY CRIMINALS ARE BEING RELEASED!

40. Greg Laden says:

The important lesson here is: Don’t mess with the clown, he will take you down.

This is also another in the ever-growing list of examples of why you don’t really want to have a gun in your yome.

1. -Peter says:

To Greg Laden: What the heck are you talking about “ever-growing list of examples why you don’t want to have a gun in your house?”

If this criminal were only slightly more ruthless, he would have just killed the poor elderly man. A gun would have prevented the need for police to now be looking for a criminal on the streets.

Here’s a recent story that proves it. Elderly woman defends home with gun.

I’m curious what other examples you have on your “growing list.” Dummy.

1. Greg Laden says:

Peter, it is an example of a home invasion thwarted with no gun. It hardly serves as an example of how having a gun is useful. Studies have shown that having a gun in the home makes it more likely for you (the gun owner) to be shot, and there are other risks. This is an example of how the benefits are overstated.

Your example does not prove anything, any more than any other singe example does. Unless it’s cherries you’re after.

I do not appreciate being called a “dummy” and I await your apology. In the mean time, if you want to know more of my thoughts on the matter and see some interesting discussion, check this out: http://tinyurl.com/4fztl3e

You may find it interesting and I’m sure you’ll have contributions to make to the discussion.

2. -Peter says:

I am sorry I called you a dummy. That wasn’t necessary. But it’s clear that you and I differ on the role of guns. Statistical evidence supports the premise that firearms in the hands of responsible and trained citizens are a deterrent to criminal activity.

Here is a link for your reading pleasure, if you’re inclined to see some research results on the topic.

I checked out your blog. Thanks for the invite, but I will decline to contribute.

41. -Peter says:

I suppose the article author felt that it was more important to be PC than to improve the odds of catching a criminal-at-large who punched a WWII veteran in the face.

Political Correctness has done more to weaken us as a nation than anything else in the last 30 years.

42. Dexter Morgan says:

“Hank”, are there any news article comment sections that you AREN’T pushing your book in?

43. LEL MN says:

Thank you Stan the Cop for your dedicated service to maintain public order. It was never intended that you be responsible for the personal safety of individuals at the moment of their need; police are not personal body guards. Without support of the community you serve, your task is hopeless.
    Sadly for us all, in this day & age it’s best to keep your doors locked and keep a loaded hammered coach gun in a convenient location.

44. MEC says:

Considering that the suspect violated the couple’s rights and he intended to forcibly take from them what was not rightfully his, I highly suspect he is a democrat.

45. Andrew says:

What is the point of describing what the robber was wearing and saying nothing about his race / physical appearance?? Is he going to be caught when someone spots a guy with a hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants?

Oh wait, they did say something about his physical appearance. About 5’10” with a slender build. Very specific.

46. Bob1958 says:

Incredibly shoddy journalism to give such a thorough description of what the perp was wearing, but not say what color he was. Cowardly journalists make me sick!

47. John says:

Are you a Democrat, a Republican, or a Southerner?

Here is a little test that will help you decide.

The answer can be found by posing the following question:

You’re walking down a
    deserted street with your wife
    and two small children.

Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife
    comes around the corner,
    locks eyes with you,
    screams obscenities,
    raises the knife, and charges at you…

You are carrying a
    Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP, and you are an expert shot.
    You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family.
    What do you do?

Democrat’s Answer:

• Well, that’s not enough information to answer the question!

• What is a Kimber 1911 cal. 45 ACP?

• Does the man look poor or oppressed?

• Is he really a terrorist? Am I guilty of profiling?

• Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

• Could we run away?

• What does my wife think?

• What about the kids?

• Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the
    knife out of his hand?

• What does the law say about this situation?

• Does the pistol have appropriate safety built into it?

• Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of
    message does this send to society and to my children?

• Is it possible he’d be happy with just killing me?

• Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content
    just to wound me?

• If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get
    away while he was stabbing me?

• Should I call 9-1-1?

• Why is this street so deserted?

• We need to raise taxes, have paint & weed day.

• Can we make this a happier, healthier street that would
    discourage such behavior.

• I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and
    try to come to a consensus.

• This is all so confusing!

……….. ……… ……… ……… …….. ……… ………
    ……… ..

Republican’s Answer:

BANG!

………… …….. ……… ……… ……… ……… ……… …..

Southerner’s Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
    BANG ! BANG! BANG! BANG!
    Click….. (Sounds of reloading)
    BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
    Click
    Daughter: ‘Nice grouping, Daddy!’
    ‘Were those the Winchester Silver Tips or Hollow Points?! ‘
    Son: ‘Can I shoot the next one?!’
    Wife: ‘You ain’t taking that to the Taxidermist!

1. Ray Charles says:

A great book is “Without Sanctuary” , it deals with the lynching we used to do on these criminal savages, great photographs. Don’t worry they just got another one in Greenwood Miss. Pretty soon it will be open season on these Apes.

2. winnie says:

Silver Tips ARE hollowpoints.

48. Rkelly says:

Nowhere in the article does it tell the race of the perp. The only time these leftist journalist include race is if the perp is white.

Giving a description and leaving out the race of the attacker severely limits the information a person needs to be on the look out for him.

49. Earl P. Holt III says:

“…police don’t recommend being uncooperative…” because they can pack heat 24/7.

If you don’t want to be a crime victim, get a gun & learn how to use it.

Firearms PREVENT 2 million to 2.5 million violent felonies per year in the U.S.

This couple should have had a gun, and one within reach.

50. jaom651946 says:

Any one out there have a “Spare Gun?” please donate it to this couple after first providing marksman shooting lessons for them? They need to kill this kind of trash next time this happens?

51. cluelessinky says:

The cops suggest you roll over and “play safe” Are they for real? Carry a hand gun and when a punk like the one described shows up at your doorstep empty your magazine into the slime ball. I’m tired of hearing the cops telling us how to protect ourselves. The 2nd Amendment works well for me – thank you very much!

52. jbaker says:

The perp is black. How do I know?

This yellow journalistic rag left the race out of their description of the home invader.

Too, blacks are but 12% of the population, yet commit 58% of ALL violent crimes. (US Dept. of Justice; FBI Uniform Crime Report)

1. David Mcnaught says:

Wrong again, amazing the self serving so called statistics that people will cite to justify their beliefs. White use more drugs than any other racial demographic, yet , minorities are incarcerated at disproportionate rates. It should be the other way around.

He was white,
      “Lies, damned lies, and statistics” – Mark Twain

1. Uncle Remus says:

Thanks for the statistics.

2. John says:

David Mcnaught

The statistics reported above are correct – If you read it it says 58% of violent crimes – what does drug use have to do with Violent Crimes. I’d rather have 1 million white people using drugs harming only themselfs than 1 Black person out harming other people.

53. Sue says:

Way to go Wally & Betty!! Shame on this guy, picking on elderly people. If they find him I think they should throw the book at him. Probably won’t………but they should.

54. Anaru says:

They also used to tell you to do what airplane hijackers said and not resist….to play it safe.

55. deRuiter says:

“The man is described as in his early 20s, with a black stocking cap and gray ski mask. He’s said to be about 5-foot-10, with a slender build” How can he be found if the press refuses to list his RACE? Was he Black, White, Spaish, Asian? This is political correctness gone amok. I’m guessing he was Black because when race isn’t mentioned, it’s the press attempting to disguise the fact that 10% of the population commits the bulk of the violnet crimes in America, far in excess of their proportion in the population.

1. poochie moochie says:

I think the very exclusion of any mention of his race pretty much narrows it down. If he was White, it would have been the first adjective in his description. Where do stereotypes come from anyway?

2. Jackie says:

Thanks for copying this. The story has been updated to indcate “The man is described as a white man in his early 20s.” As you copied earlier, this was NOT in the original story.

Funny, the on-line version does not indicate an update.

56. WilliamPenn says:

Two words, Citizens: buy guns! Don’t go down like sheep, like the liberals want. Blast and win.

57. never have voted and never will says:

it sure is good entertainment to see the right wing and left wing fools waste there time battleing it out over a simple news story LOL

1. Jackie says:

Never-Never Land: Continue not voting.

58. WilliamPenn says:

Uh-oh, sounds like somebody recently got a parking ticket.

59. mitch says:

I’m thinking race would be a helpful description.

60. formosa says:

Public Service Announcement: You are expected to PLAY IT SAFE, like a good little sheep when the wolves come ’round. And whatever you do, don’t buy a gun and learn how to use it.

61. Patriot says:

Why doesn’t the news announce the number of daily kill victims in the U.S.?
    There isn’t a problem announcing that 65 people go killed in Iraq.
    If the general population knew the number of murders that occur in the U.S. on a daily basis then they would arm themselves for protection.
    This would create a well armed militia. A well armed militia will not allow the government to levy high taxes on them and take their freedoms away.
    Go buy a gun and arm yourself for the sake of the country.

62. Jag35 says:

Police are onlyavailable AFTER the crime. KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED AND PROTECT YOURSELF WITH A GUN!

63. Wulfie says:

Maybe you just need to lower your expectations. Police are neither capable, nor equipped to prevent 99.9% of violent crimes. Criminals tend not to act in the presence of police. Remember: WHEN SECONDS COUNT, THE POLICE ARE ONLY MINUTES AWAY.

Now go pay your parking ticket and take a valium.

64. Marth says:

Really no one wants to comments on the picture? He got hit in the nose so…is the red nose from the hit or is a clown nose the new way to first aid a punch in the nose these days?? I mean really what is up with the clown nose? This is the best picture WCCO could get for these two people?

65. dan says:

im origanally from that area and live in fla,,,,,,i cant believe there is crime there,ill bet they know him,,everybody in that area knows everybody

66. Bubba Baruch says:

I am appreciating the vibrant , richly textured, and diverse shares from the European Minnesotan communities. Yes, indeed, the so-called mainstream media is the P.C. media.

The manual for all m.s. media writing employees is the Associated Press Style Book.All undergraduate students taking journalism in college adhere to this P.C. Bible.To study journalism and/or work in the field of m.s. media writing one must follow this book’s dictates or be fired.

Writing about interracial crime, media writing employees must shield the ethnic identity of the perpetrator(s) in the beginning of their piece work stories, if the perps are not European American and if the victims are members of European American communities.

I am extremely pleased with the media IQ of the concerned community investigators of this story.

1. Gun Owner says:

You’re an idiot; it clearly shows the homeowners are white and says the person that is wanted is white. Did you read the story or just try to come up with some baseless rant for the comment section?

1. Jackie says:

Gun Owner: You mis-fired. Th eoriginal on-line story as of this morning did not indicate race. It is there now.

67. joshbot says:

The comment by the police makes me want to throw up. “Give home intruders what they want and don’t resist!?!?!” Every single founding father is back flipping in their grave. I was really hoping that this would have had a gun involved on the parts of the residents. Notice the police aren’t suggesting people simply arm themselves. My grandparents will blow your head off if you bust in their homes and so will I. MAKES ME SICK!

68. walter12 says:

Boy there are alot of comments on this article. We, in Montana simply shoot robbers attempting to enter our car or house. The criminals out here know that the vast majority of the citizens in Montana are armed to the teeth and legally and rightfully so.

1. Mr MOE says:

can you say UNIBOMBER?

69. Kirk says:

“Despite the couples’ bravery, police generally don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands, because it is better to play it safe.”

– It seems that a great deal of evidence would indicate otherwise. It seems contrary to conventional wisdom to place your trust in the hands of individuals who cannot be trusted and are clearly demonstrating a lack of judgment already.

70. Vigilante says:

Too bad Wally didn’t have his loaded Colt 1911. He would have spared society any recurrence of Shovelboy’s home invasions.

71. Barry Bin Inhalin says:

Before reading the story I KNEW – and said it out loud – this is a WW2 vet. The Greatest Generation. Congratulations to Betty & Wally on 63 years of marriage and of defending yourselves!

Isn’t it a sin to watch what’s happening to this country under the clammy-fisted rule of the 60’s hiuppies? From Bubba ‘Draftdodger’ Clinton to the latest installation of Socialist dictate, they have dismantled our greatness, replacing it with a panacea of drug-hazed nothingness.

72. Phillep Harding says:

Police say “Don’t resist” for two reasons. First, the police chief is under pressure to keep the citizens dependent on the gov’t. Second, to make life safer for the police when they kick down the wrong door.

73. Sam says:

Second to last paragraph right out of the article, can’t you read?

1. Jackie says:

Sam: This was NOT in the original on-line story and was updated a few hours ago.

74. xigirl says:

Who cares what color the guy is? I wish they had shot him dead.

75. Gun Owner says:

Safe would have been to pull a Sig Sauer P250 .45 ACP from under the computer desk and put 2 center mass. Then other would-be robbers would know; oops wrong house.

76. Apeon says:

The advice of the Authorities was to co-operate—exactly opposite of advice given to women being accosted—which is –DON’T go with them, refuse to get into their vehicle, DO NOT GIVE UP CONTROL!!

FIGHT BACK LIKE THEY DID!!!!

77. Lawrence says:

Seems unlikely that these senior citizens could fend off an attack unarmed. Were they armed? (Was this not reported conveniently?) Also, if someone is trying to hurt me or mine, yes, I will take action not necessarily cooperate.

78. popseal says:

Last advise about instant surrender is a crock! Wasp spray, mace, and best of all a Glock in .40 caliber are the best responses to thuggery, not in that order. When the creeps know there’s a big chance they will be met by deadly force, they think twice, if they think at all.

79. Melvin says:

Who gives a rats behind what color the thug was. Cops say don’t fight back. Well to be honest allot of dead or severely injured did exactly that. This is why we must take measures to protect our homes and ourselves.
    Don’t depend on government for your safety. Learn to fight back for too long government has told us to be passive and not do nothing.

80. Jackie says:

Liberals: This on-line story has been updated after several of “us” merely asked the author to identify the race of the suspect. It was NOT in the original story and was updated about 1-2 hours ago.

81. Mr. Beretta says:

Shovelboy, I’d like to introduce you to Mr. Beretta — aka 92FS.

82. XPIOLT says:

Black, white or purple, I would of blew his freakin head off and then dragged him off my property and put him with the rest of the garbage.

83. STOVEPIPE says:

JOIN THE NRA

84. Greg says:

Let the man kill you, so we can come in afterwards and do the report. Glad to see the cops are on the side of the criminals.

85. Dan says:

“police generally don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands, because it is better to play it safe”

It’s never safer when an assailant wants to tie you up. Never.

86. Owl Creek Observer says:

If anybody breaks into this senior citizen’s home, my wife and I will quickly introduce him to our good friends, Mr. Glock and Mr. Ruger.

87. Terry Ask says:

This is SO like Uncle Wally. Born to hardscrabble immigrants, and grew up in the depression, also serving in the Navy during W.W. II, the intruder obviously didn’t know just what a fighter he was dealing with! Good going, Uncle Wally, and Aunt Betty!!

88. Michelle says:

Should have had a gun.

89. fed3rd says:

One L.A.P.D. officer told me that if someone intruder comes in the house “…make sure there is only one version of the story being told…”

90. ManOnPoint says:

If Wally would have shot and killed the guy then there would be no future “victims.” I don’t think Wally and Betty are “victims,” they sound like “survivors” to me!!! In the Old West there were no repeat offenders because criminals were either shot in the act or tried and hanged!!!

91. John K says:

The police don’t recommend resisting someone who’s demanding the victims submit to being tied up???!!!! Had they submitted to his demands, would that have been before the robber bashed in their heads with the shovel, he robbed them and police were there to investigate there murders?
    All the more reason for law-bidding citizens to be legally armed, trained and ready to defend themselves with legal firearms. Police cannot do that for you.

92. David says:

All well and good to spout bravura about nailing perps with your .45. Quite another thing to actually be in the situation and have to make a split second decision concerning whether you are in the right, can prove it in a court of law, and are willing to have his blood splattered all over your nice carpet, along with the deafening noise of the round going off. (Better have your ear protection handy also!) Also a round always hits its target, not necessarily what you were aiming at (note:better hope you don’t miss and kill someone outside.) –well informed firearms owner, not sure I would be so quick to squeeze.

93. ReConUSMC says:

I as a former ReCon Marine have Six Answers for the Thug .
    Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang RELOAD Bang Bang Bang !

94. rick says:

Wally and his wife need to purchase a couple of firearms to defend their homes. Next time the crook can leave in a body bag or on an ambulance stretcher.

95. barry1817 says:

It is simply amazing that we have had the media and others say to just give in to the demands of a robber, or a criminal, because it is safer. Personally i would have liked to see this man have been armed, and fired away.

And then I would like to see the stories of how often guns deter criminals.

But if one goes back, weren’t we told prior to 9/11, just accede to hijackers and all we be fine.

And then we are blamed for not intervening. But why should a person intervene in a criminal situation, if we are told to just wait for police.?

About time that people realize that if they can’t defend themselves, there may be nobody that can reach them in time to defend them.

And then maybe we will stop with the bleeding heart liberals who will then want to defend the criminal. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

Way to go Wally.

96. Filzhut says:

“Junior” is obviously a leftist plant. Any idiot can read the racial description of the attacker. The thing that stands out to me is the fact the the race of the lowlife was actually mentioned. These days THAT only happens if the bad guy is white. The ultimate effect of “Junior’s” comments was to exploit emotion and build sympathy against the perception of injustice. Only complete idiots would take such a comment seriously and become enraged. Once again you folks are the mindless victims of deliberate leftist media manipulation.

97. TRay says:

Yeah! “Play it safe” This is Just Liberal ADVICE so their potential Democratic voters wont get hurt. We ALL know who is on the criminal’s side. And they are the ones making it eazy for the crooks.

Yep! yote for us! we will make your robberies and murders easier and safer by advising your victims not to fight back.

98. Mr MOE says:

WHAT ABOUT THE NOSE???????????????????

99. Reuben Bell says:

Pack heat Wally. It’s the only way to be safe, even in your own home. Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

100. zoyclem says:

If more people fought back, there would be less of these incidents. The advice from the police was idiiotic.

101. BonnieBlue2A says:

Bless this elderly couple! Amazing and inspiring indeed. I hope this loser gets caught and arrested without bond soon. Such a coward to prey on the elderly.

102. Htos1 says:

I think the local da and judicial is remiss in their jobs,the couple should be cahrged in a civil rights violation of the intruder,you can’t knowingly hurt someone.
    /sarc=off

103. bumblefoot2004 says:

I’m disappointed this story didn’t involve the victims blowing the robber’s brains out with a gun.

104. 312capri says:

If he’s still standing there as I chamber my short barreled 12ga pump I am going to pull the trigger!

105. SerfOfObama says:

A lucky break that armed robbers in Minnesota are apparently unionized.

106. Media Bias has the Last Word says:

Editorial bias injected right into the story.
    See folks, the MSM is not just anti gun rights, they are anti self defense.
    Not defending yourself is an urban myth perpetuated by movies.

The ‘news’ people did not even attempt to cite a source for repeating the tired old cliche..
    You can bet that female anchor would expect the man in her life to defend her and not “play it safe” with an attacker.

107. JohnnySunshine says:

Should the headline read, “91 year old man and his 82 year old trophy wife . . . “

108. mattressguy says:

i agree with what the police recommend. trust the criminals not to hurt you and just do as they say. they want everything youve earned through hard work, just give it to them. some would say to call the police but i wouldnt. its too much risk to have a loaded firearm in the hands of someone that knows how to use it. better to just hope the criminal changes his mind.

109. Anne says:

I am sorry this horrible ordeal took place but I must commend both on their bravery and ability to forgive. And Happy Early 64th Anniversary.

110. net observer says:

Big-Ups to the WWII generation, keepin’ it real in 2011.

And to those who harbor primitive, illogical obsessions with race: Try thinking through your preconceived notions. News agencies ALWAYS describe the race of the perpetrator when he (or she) is still on the loose. Law enforcement enlists the help of the media, in case you didn’t notice. Get your head out of your behind and you might see the truth on occasion.

111. John Fleming says:

To h—eck with giving in to these slime. If more people had the guts and stopped listening to these “just give in to them” lilly livered sobs the world would be a better place. We’d have a few less brave souls like Betty and Wally but we’d still have our pride.

YAY BETTY and WALLY. I appreciate you guys !!!

JohnF
    Phoenix

112. cactus says:

Il’ll bet the policemen that don’t recommend being uncooperative with a criminal’s demands, because it is better to play it safe. CARRY A GUN

113. TonyZ says:

And that’s why this is the greatest generation.

114. Robert says:

The cops want you to play it safe FOR THEM. if you are dead there is a lot less paperwork that they have to do. Now they actually have to go out and LOOK for the bad guy!

115. f uckcops says:

You c ocksuckers can remove my posts all you want. Cops are still a bunch of holier than thou pieces of s hit and can all go f uck themselves. I dont need those f ucksticks to protect me or my property…that is what the Mossberg is for. I have plenty of OO buck for any as shole stupid enough to step into my house. That includes any of you f ucking law enforcement d icks that “accidentally” kick in my door. I will “accidentally” shoot your punk a ss and ask questions later.

1. syd..j.j. says:

I must say you have a fine command of the English language.

116. Jonathan Fuller says:

How did an elderly couple drive off a young man? Because they were surely armed. Interesting that that aspect of the story wasn’t reported.

117. Dino Brava says:

The people who are arguing about the color of the bad guy are missing the point. (He was white if that makes you feel better….. or worse). The color of the intruder is not important to me. Black, white…..could be purple for all I care. The only color that matters to me is red….because that is what is going to be splattered all over the walls after I am done emptying my clip into the intruder’s kill zones. The statistic that Nancy Pelosi and ultra-morons like her always omit is the number of crimes that are prevented and the number of lives that are saved by decent people owning guns. Just the fact that a criminal has to consider the possibilty that a homeowner has a loaded gun ready to ruin his night prevents untold thousands if not millions of crimes. Even non-gun owners benefit from this situation. If you do buy a gun, make sure you get the proper training and take the responsibility of gun ownership seriously. After that, the government should go after the tweaks, murderers, and rapists with guns and leave the honest gun owning people alone.

118. jkralovetz says:

Wally & Betty I am so proud of you for standing up to this guy! My husband and I were out camping one night in our National Forest when an escape prisoner attacked my husband with a hammer from behind. I was able to grab a log from our campfire pit and fight him off my husband. He was later arrested and is now serving 30 years for the assault. My husband and I were both in our 50’s at the time, married 32 years. Every day I thank God that we had the strength to fight him off! Blessing to you both!

119. usnmustang says:

how about just acknowledging the fact that some members of our society are so low and pathetic that they would hunt and injure a couple in their 80’s and 90’s.

120. ludwig says:

uh oh, do i hear “hide yo gamps hide yo gamms” in the making?

121. Ron says:

Punching an elderly person in the face? That old man sacrificed for this country in ways most of us can’t even imagine and that is the thanks he gets? When caught, they need to string that punk up. I don’t want him walking free amongst law-abiding citizens and I d@mn sure don’t want a penny of our taxdollars going towards feeding him. Do us all a favor: Snuff that idiot and be done with it.

122. chrome plated marshmello says:

For those that believe the police are the answer think on this you IDIOTS “when seconds count the police are only minutes away!. If that seems harsh ………well it’s just a good thing you’re not standing right in front of me if I were to tell that to your face cuz the force of the blast of air expelled expressing myself would give you wind burned cheeks ,,,,,,,,,,,, plus my garlic breath (used exclusively to ward of nut cases like you) would make you recoil.

123. Mike Benavidez says:

Play it SAFE? What in the world are you idiots saying? Let yourself get violated so the police can show up when its way too late? I applaud these older friends. GO FOR IT AND DON’T WAIT. Beat the punk senseless. If anyone comes into my house, they are gonna get hurt. Next stop for them is the ICU. Hats off to them.

124. Freedom says:

God Bless these two. The problem we have today is there is no respect taught in school, in the work place, in the courts, in the jails, in the White House or the US Congress. Very few people have respect for anything. And therefore you have worthless people walking the streets causing other people headaches. I hope some day some fool crosses my path. It will be is last act of disrepect!

125. Bruce L. says:

WHen seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Everyone is responsible for his/her own self defense.

These folks are great role models for everyone.

126. Solid Citizen says:

When seconds count , the police are minutes (or hours) away

Just ask Yvette Beakes

Quo warranto, B.O.?

127. john smith says:

How so very disrespectful. …… Give a theif al the power and end up being murdered. I’m with Walley. Win place or show or dead I’ll fight. The police won’t protect you.

128. sandmannc40 says:

Police say it’s better to play it safe and not resist. This way they can kill you without resistance. That’s just being sheeple.

129. Terry says:

I wonder if the reporter actually contacted the St. Charles police department for a statement about not resisting, or if they were just adding in their own personal bias about what they think the police would recommend. If it is a statement by the local police department I think it would be worth it to those living in the area to discuss it with local government and police officials to get a better policy in place, and if not to remember them at election time.

130. DarkRider says:

In the ’70’s, I was an “armed burglar” and my biggest fear was armed property owners . Not because they could or would shoot me, I did two hundred rounds a weekend at a gravel pit. Because I might shoot them them, turning an armed burglary into a murder, worse still taking someones family member.

It made my friends and I very cautious with regard to ensuring that the business’ we entered were empty.

Now, all this time later, my biggest fear is armed burglars, because as a felon I can not own a firearm – lol.

Karma…

131. Carol says:

I don’t think many of those advocating he should speedily take up his conveniently to hand, loaded gun are in the same age group as Wally. I bet he’s said many times since, “even 20 years ago I would’ve……..” I just love the fact that he was at his computer! God Bless Wally and Betty.

132. Joe says:

Who cares what color he was,too bad they didnt have a gun and shot him dead and save somebody else the same situation,as far as the cops being right around the corner who knows when or who will come,maybe some 110 pound woman cop and then what, i am sure that n.st paul cop that got shot wishes maplewood would have sent a 200 pound guy for back up instead of the one that came that day

133. tryecrot says:

134. Pharme919 says:

Hello! ckbdfkd interesting ckbdfkd site! I’m really like it! Very, very ckbdfkd good!

135. Pharmc796 says:

Hello! eeadegd interesting eeadegd site! I’m really like it! Very, very eeadegd good!

136. Pharmf453 says:

Hello! edcadck interesting edcadck site! I’m really like it! Very, very edcadck good!