Minn. Lawmaker Wants Liquor Sales On Sunday

By Pat Kessler, WCCO-TV

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — Minnesotans making alcohol runs to Wisconsin generate $10.6 million in tax revenues for the Badger state and Sundays are the second busiest shopping day of the week. That means a huge loss on alcohol sales.

Sen. Roger Reinert (DFL-Duluth) introduced a bill that would allow liquor to be sold on Sundays.

“Wisconsin got a win with the Packers going to the Super Bowl. I’m not sure we need to give them another win by sending all of our Minnesota tax dollars over there as well — on Super Bowl Sunday,” said Reinert.

Some lawmakers say the existing law doesn’t make sense for the current times and that the new bill could raise a lot of money for Minnesota.

The bill would allow liquor stores to opt-out if they do not want to sell on Sundays.

More from Pat Kessler
Comments

1. John says:

Good, this law was created only to satisfy Christians and should be unconstitutional.

1. thinkb4uspeak says:

I’m a Christian and I have no problem with this…maybe you shouldn’t make generalizations? If it can allow a few more businesses to make a few more bucks and keep people working go for it! Alcohol usage boils down to making sure we are each personally responsible…it has nothing to do with religion.

2. Steve Anderson says:

Actually, I am a Christian. I have no problem with this. I might even buy some beer on Sunday’s occasionally. We should also be able to buy cars on Sunday’s, since most people work during the week. The Sabbath is an old testament law (pre 0030 AD). It’s good to take a day off of work each week, but this has nothing to do with abstaining from an occasional drink or two.

2. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

Not only sell on Sundays but let the off-sale joints stay open untill midnight every day of the week if they so desire.

1. Shawn says:

Oh you mean like most other states? Makes sense!

3. Marc says:

@ John: HERE HERE!

4. Drink Fall Down Get Up No Problem says:

drink drink

5. Beer 4 All says:

Sen. Reinert is my new personal hero, he’s a rock star

6. minntallguy2009@yahoo.com says:

Do Not pass this stupid law or bill .There are way too many drunk drivers on the road already.

1. Great idea! says:

Okay…people can always go to restaurants and drink and then drive home on Sundays. Having liquor stores open on Sundays gives people the ability to buy alcohol and bring it home to drink rather than drinking and driving.

2. Let's drink it! says:

What’s the difference if I buy it on Saturday and drink it on Sunday? That’s the most ridiculous law I’ve ever seen! Everybody drunk like a skunk!

3. b says:

minntallguy 2009 people go the liquor store instaed of the bar for a reason so they dont have to drink and drive so actually there will be less people going to the bar so fewer drunk drivers think before you talk you idiot

7. Sandy says:

What a joke, I saw this news storey and the alcohol industry “already works 6 days a week”. Hmm, I thought we were all about creating jobs in the State of MN? Perhaps the additional revenue this would bring in would fund a Target statidum fix, or maybe build a new VIkes playground. Unreal.

8. Sandy says:

Sorry, that was stadium.

9. hotz123 says:

minntallguy Don’t you think the booze from Wisc. gets you just as drunk? An easy trip there, twenty miles or less for over half of our population. Seems foolish to me to let all that money leave. Like the syaye congressperson who said “Christians” don’t want gambling legalizes in MN. My simple question Are all the people at the current casinos non Christian? Good question.

10. Tony says:

I think Minnesota citizens should be able to decide if they want to purchase alcohol on Sunday. Jobs would be created, parties could be enjoyed and adults should have the right to buy alcohol if they so desire.

11. Lee says:

I like the idea of trying to keep some of that money in Minnesota and the fact that the stores can choose to be open Sundays or not. They choose to be open Holidays when other places are closed because they know it’ll bring in lots of money so why not be the same on Sundays?? I would vote yes.

12. Jim says:

They tax the devil out of cigarettes and call it a sin tax. Now they want to make it legal to sell booze on Sunday. Does anyone know the “real” statistics in regard to how many people are killed each year by cigarettes vs. alcohol? I’m betting the numbers aren’t that far apart if you take into consideration all aspects. Shouldn’t booze be taxed like cigarettes. I’m betting if folks had to pay $4.00 for a can of beer, they probably wouldn’t drink as much of it.

1. Fred says:

Death by smoke is slow and expensive to treat.
      1500 deaths from smoking according to American Lung
      161 alcohol related deaths by the alcohol alert group.
      Can’t find out how many have alcohol dementia.
      See prohibition. Costs go up you can bootleg or make your own.

13. Shawn says:

I think its a fantastic idea. Here here!

14. gael says:

oh hell yes!!!!!!! bring it on!!!! then we can drink at home instead of going out to do it!

15. Mike says:

Irt’s about time Minnesota joins the 21st century, WI, ND,SD, and IA allow Sunday Sales not to mention most of the country, We’re in good company with Utah,

16. Ez says:

I am a Christian and I disagree with blue laws. The reason is because this is a religious liberty country. Blue laws are unconstitutional and should be repealed. I don’t drink but when the government upholds religion it is only a matter of time before they dictate religion.

17. Steve says:

I was at the liquor store today asking about free beer. The clerk told me “Only on Sunday” ….I’m in!

18. WT? says:

Letting business owners make their own decisions. Wow, there’s a novel thought in Minnesota, Land of 10,000 stupid laws. Obviously the law is outdated if that many people are traveling to Wisconsin to buy alcohol. And if drinking and driving were such a major problem, why isn’t everybody coming back from Wisconsin crashing on their way back??

1. Wesly says:

There is a distinction between buy alcohol to consume at home on a Sunday because you were shortsighted or drinking heavily the night before and drinking at a bar that you can do locally that you missed.

1. WT? says:

One heck of a run-on sentence there. I didn’t miss anything. A previous poster said not to pass the law because there are too many drunk drivers already. My point was if they are driving to their local liquor store instead of Wisconsin, they probably wou;dn’t crash-just like they are NOT doing when they drive to Wisconsin. When you read your next post about “smart” people posting here, take a good look in the mirror at yourself…

19. ohhellno says:

Does anybody know why one couldn’t buy liquor on Sundays???

20. Sgt says:

Buy on Saturday. I work at a Municipal Liquor Store in a small east central town I like having atleast one day off

1. Peter says:

Then take Sunday off or stay closed when the bill passes. I will go elsewhere.

21. Alex Adams says:

The current law forces alcoholics to plan better. Keep it as it is.

22. Burt says:

Why can’t people buy enough to last the weekend on Friday night? It would be a Dem wanting to change the law.

23. Jon says:

Has this law really affected anyone of you in the past? Be real people…
    I find it hard to believe that we are losing 10.6 million dollars a year in tax revenue in liquor sales because of the blue law. Most people are smart enough to prepare for get togethers and parties, even the coveted super bowl party. Even if someone was desperate to drive twenty plus miles to cross state lines to buy booze, well they probably made up for it in gas tax paid to MN.

1. Wesly says:

Read more message boards and it will be evident how smart people are. Sarcasyic, too.

2. skewed stats says:

I agree, their numbers are skewed to reflect an overexagerated statistic so that the lawmakers can make a point.
      I don’t think we are losing over 10 million. It just means that the reveue we are getting would be spread over 7 days instead of 6. The other 6 days would have slightly less revenue. The people that buy on sundays will not be buying a different day that week. I do see however a slight increase in sales just because the last minute people buying, etc. But 10 million? I just don’t trust those statistics, where do they come up with that?
      It’s hard to believe that people can’t plan a little better. I have never felt the need to make a run on sunday’s because I know I have to buy it earlier in the week. If I see it on sale, I buy it even if I am not out at the time. Common sense.
      If you run out that often, you may have a problem.

24. ohhellno says:

Municipal meaning Town Hall/City Hall is who sold alcohol in the early years which has kept this theory going for decades. City employees working on a Sunday back then? Yeah right… So yeah, collect our own tax money…..

25. T says:

Sundays, grocery stores, and c-stores please.

26. Van Bond says:

It makes sense.

27. Carole Brovitch says:

Yes by all means keep our Money in this State. I would rather purchase Liqour here instead of running to Wisc. Makes morre sense wouldn’t you all agree.

28. Skeezer says:

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɹǝɥʇouɐ ƃuıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

29. Ro says:

Religious or not, it makes sense to have liquor and car sales on Sundays now. The point is to gain revene and jobs in this state is it not?

30. Eartha says:

How about only open Sundays? Enough drunks in our families.

31. GoPACKGo says:

I have never had to run over to wisconsin to get liquor on sundays however I do spend a lot of time over there and it is shocking how many Minnesota license plates come and go with beer/liquor on Sundays from liquor stores. Ask a owner from you over there and they hope we keep our old law cause if we change it there businesses will hurt

32. GoPACKGo says:

i have seen this overflow on sundays from duluth to winona i always wonder how it is on the other three state lines with minnesota?

33. getting slizzard says:

I don’t see a problem with leaving it up to the individual liquor store.
    If they want a day off, stay closed on Sundays.
    If you want to be open 7 days a week, then go for it.
    There should be no law mandating one way or the other.

34. C says:

Opening on Sundays leads to liquor in grocery stores and convenient stores. Granted, a ton of grocery stores have it already. The problem is that you are going to put those cool, small, boutique stores out of business.