Possible Presidential Contender Pawlenty In Ill.

CHICAGO (AP) — Possible Republican presidential hopeful Tim Pawlenty isn’t shying away from President Barack Obama’s adopted home state. The former Minnesota governor stopped in Chicago on Friday to sign copies of his new book and speak at a civic club that is popular with politicians of all stripes.

“I come from a state that is the land of McCarthy, Humphrey, Mondale, Wellstone, Al Franken and the notion that a state may have some Democrats in it doesn’t intimidate me or worry me. You know you got to try to reach out to the whole country,” he said.

Pawlenty, who is on tour promoting his book “Courage to Stand,” said he would decide soon on a 2012 presidential bid and make an announcement in the next few months.

“Good for him. You’ve got to cover all your bases and you can’t be scared away because this is Obama’s hometown. There’s a lot of people here that aren’t totally enthralled with what’s going on under the Obama administration,” said Illinois Senate Republican Leader Christine Radogno.

Illinois Republican Party chairman Pat Brady said the state can be good for GOP presidential hopefuls. Republicans had a strong showing in the state in the November election, capturing Obama’s old Senate seat, congressional seats and two state offices.

“Remember there’s a primary too, and Illinois plays a role in that, it’s a good place to raise money,” Brady said. The state party is hosting a fundraiser Saturday in honor of the late President Ronald Reagan’s 100th birthday that will feature GOP headliners including Newt Gingrich and Rick Sanoturm.

Talking to a lunchtime crowd Friday of more than 100 people, Pawlenty introduced himself to would-be Chicago voters. He talked about his life growing up in a city where meatpacking was the chief industry and his work as Minnesota’s governor. He also laid out some of his philosophies — part of it pretty basic — about government.

“We can’t spend more than we take in,” he said slowly, enunciating every word and getting chuckles from the audience. “You learn this in your family, I’m sure you live it in your business life. Government has to live by the same rule. It is not that hard.”

In Minnesota, Pawlenty stretched the bounds of executive authority to make deep budget cuts on his own that were ultimately overturned by the courts.

He said there was the Wall Street bubble, the technology bubble, the housing bubble and “now as we’re going to painfully experience we’re going to have the government bubble.”

Pawlenty talked about making changes to entitlement programs, including using means testing for cost-of-living-increases in Social Security. Wealthier people on Social Security would get smaller increases than those who are middle income or poor, he said. Also, Pawlenty said the retirement age could be increased for new people who collect Social Security, but he didn’t say what it would be.

“Those two things won’t solve the whole problem, but again, depending on where you draw the cut line, would help dramatically and steer the thing on a much better direction,” he said.

Comments

1. Joel says:

He’s in Ill. and making me ill. This has-been goober of yours is rapidly getting long in the tooth.

2. Murph says:

Making terrible decisions like not fixing a deadly bridge.Not taxing the rich while violating the State constitution in an attempt to take doctor ordered food supplements from poor disabled and sick people.Never having had the courage to even call a tax a tax! The sometimes governor will likely not be able to even carry Minnesota much less any other state!.Fact is he won’t even make an effective straw man for the GOP! He is just totally useless as a politician for just about any and all reasons.That’s Pawlenty and the secrets of his past will not be swept away by silence and political cronyism.He’s done!

3. dunnski57 says:

Carpetbagger!!!!

4. shirley says:

he should probably run and pick palin or bachman as his v p .

1. Joe says:

Can’t be Bachman… same state.

5. Ann says:

Just make them all go away PLEASE!!!!

6. russell engverson says:

The democrats in the minnesota house passed a bill that would have made it legal for only those terminally ill to smoke medical cannabis, then Gov. Pawlently said no I can’t sign this bill into law, (maybe if he had a close friend dying from the terrible pain of cancer) i think he might have re-considered, he said no, i’ll have to go with law enforcement on this one, he will make a great Republican president, because he budget cutted the poor to death, rather than raise taxes on the rich, so i’m sure he’ll also take the side of the 3 million richest, and leave the rest of us 297 Million american poor slobs out in the cold, but nobody will say anything about his record as gov. sticking it to the poor, P.S. to all of the other 297 Million americans, wake up and realize, that all they really need is your vote on Nov. 1st and thats all, really. so unless you are one of the 3 million, who were first in line to be helped out, you really are a democrat, now days you have to be at least a millionaire to qualify as a republican.

1. johnnycmoun says:

Joel, Murph and Russel – Know what your talking about before you post. Joel, what is your argument? Murph do you feel your comment is legit and factual. Please so me proof of what you say, and I’ll listen but everything you wrote is untrue and misleading. Russel, to qualify as a Republican you must have the ability to believe in yourself and feel that this country is worth everything you want. In fact JFK stated “It’s not what the country can do for you but what you can do for your country!” I would wager that the rich you talk about donate more of their own time to charity per week than you work. Everyone in America has the right to persuit their dreams and if you don’t feel like owning your own business or working harder/smarter to reward yourself then don’t accuse successful people for being jackass republicans. I’m a veteran of the U.S Navy and I’m proud that I served and protected. Republican to me is fighting for our civil rights, personal freedoms, constitutional rights and the opportunity to live my dream in this great country. This economic problem we are facing can be blamed on me, you and every voter the past 40-50 years. Our Elected Officials have put us in a bad economic state during these years but we sat back and let it happen. Take ownership in your work, contributions and I ask you to quit stating that all republicans are greedy basterds because we are not. It’s like stateing that all democrats are lazy, uneducated, unpatriotic, selfish, and poor. I will agree with you that Republicans are rich; rich in love with this country, the freedom it brings us from our Government and rich to earn what we work for! Start pointing the finger back at your chest and you’ll begin to see what I’m talking about. Good luck – I wish the best… JTN

7. johnnycmoun says:

Joel, Murph and Russel – Know what your talking about before you post. Joel, what is your argument? Murph do you feel your comment is legit and factual. Please so me proof of what you say, and I’ll listen but everything you wrote is untrue and misleading. Russel, to qualify as a Republican you must have the ability to believe in yourself and feel that this country is worth dieing for or believe in the men & woman who did sacrifice their life for you to live free here in America. In fact JFK stated “It’s not what the country can do for you but what you can do for your country!” I would wager that the rich you talk about donate more of their own time to charity per week than you work. Everyone in America has the right to persuit their dreams and if you don’t feel like owning your own business or working harder/smarter to reward yourself then don’t accuse successful people for being greedy republicans. I’m a veteran of the U.S Navy and I’m proud that I served and protected. Republican to me is fighting for our civil rights, personal freedoms, constitutional rights and the opportunity to live my dream in this great country. This economic problem we are facing can be blamed on me, you and every voter the past 40-50 years. Our Elected Officials have put us in a bad economic state during these years but we sat back and let it happen. Take ownership in your work, contributions and I ask you to quit stating that all republicans are greedy basterds. I will say I agree with you that most Republicans are rich; rich in love with this country, the freedoms it offers and rewards is brings us for working hard. I hope you find that being successful is ok and when you do make it to that level that you don’t have to give all back to the Government. Have a great day – JTN

1. Murph says:

Johnny C,It is all in the locaal papers and their web archives. Pawlenty was warned he would violate the State Constitution but ddid it anyway to try to become a “conservative ” hero!The intent of the action ,part of which involved the unfunding of poor,elderly ‘sick and disabled peoples “doctor ordered !” food supplements.For shutting out the legislature and for targeting the most vulnerable in the process he was c sued and convicted in Minnesta District ciurt! His Appeal of the conviction was denied by the MN.Supreme Court.Unless it is overturned by The U.S. Supreme court,and thats’s not likely.He will be the most impossible aand not a possible POTUS candidate! Thank you,for asking!

2. b says:

Johnnycmoun your an idiot you must be a republicans your an idiot you only cae about your rich self way look your sekf in the mirror and realize your one of the rich people ruining this country.

1. johnnycmoun says:

B or not to B – that is the questions I have to respond to your comment. I think I’ll let it Be for your defense little b…; /

8. johnnycmoun says:

Please post the web archives and local paper reports Murph for us to validate your argument. Do you know that Obama Care removes over billions from the medicaid program? OBAMACARE FACTS AND FIGURES…
    – Nearly one-quarter of all seniors rely on Medicare Advantage, the private health care option in Medicare. However, Obamacare makes such deep cuts to that program that half of those covered will no longer be able to keep the coverage they have. http://www.heritage.org/research/projects/impact-of-obamacare#seniors
    – New taxes on drug companies ($27 billion) and medical device makers ($20 billion), as well as new reporting requirements and regulations imposed on physicians, will make access to health care and services more costly and difficult for seniors under Obamacare.
    Governor Pawlenty is fighting to protect Seniors from this bill and I’m confused about what your stating in your arguement about him being found guilty in Circuit Court??? I’m sorry for assuming but I think you should change your source of local paper; “The Onion” is my guess….

1. Murph says:

Johnny C,pardon my key board it had a cup of coffee dumped on it and needs some TLC and better proof reading on my part!

1. johnnycmoun says:

That’s ok Murph – if you could do me a favor and proof read your information, that may be more valuable of your time. Have a good day!

9. Murph says:

Feb 4 at channel 5 tv website. They make a wimpy reference to it as “stretching the bounds” of executive power. When a lady district sticks a size nine poity toe pump up your rump.I’m Pawlenty found something else was getting quite stretched as well! Of course all the articles about him are archived on other local press sites and blogs! Tthe Repugs are keeping a very tight lid on it nationally! After all how many Constitutions does Tim want to violate in his lifetime?That is what the voters will want to know.Up front nad truthful,something Pawlenty has never been!