Consoling Vikings Fans Day After Packer Super Bowl Win

By John Lauritsen, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — While the Packers won their fourth Super Bowl on Sunday night, Vikings fans are still 0-4 in Super Bowl tries. And it’s been more than 30 years since they made their last appearance in the big game.

So when it comes to Viking fan therapy, leave it to a Lions fan to try and help. Or at least come up with a name for the home state’s “No-Super Bowl Syndrome.”

“There really is no cure for AVATAR. AVATAR is ‘Aggravated Vikings Anticipatory Traumatic Abandonment Syndrome,'” said Dan Cole.

Cole, who goes by “The Common Man” on KFAN Radio, got plenty of e-mails from aggravated Packer fans during his radio show Monday afternoon. But it’s not like he didn’t expect them with comments like this one.

“It’s over. It’s now the 2011 season. Everybody is 0-0. Everybody is getting ready for the draft. The Packers are no better off than the Vikings are, right? We are both 0-0,” said Cole.

It’s logic season ticket-holder Kirk Anderson can live by. Especially after watching the Vikings biggest rival claim their fourth Super Bowl title.

“It’s kind of the same reaction I had last year when the Vikings lost to the Saints. I just don’t want anything to do with it for a little bit,” said Anderson.

Anderson has been a Viking season ticket-holder for nearly 10 years. The Super Bowl drought is tough to take. But when your number one rival rubs in their win, that’s salt in the wound and it’s something you learn to live with when you bleed purple.

“It will kill me probably one day — give me a heart attack most likely. But I’m always going to be a fan. Maybe someday they will get to a Super Bowl in my lifetime. And maybe even win one,” said Anderson.

More from John Lauritsen
Comments

1. iconoclast says:

Sometimes the best thing to do is leave a bad relationship. When your partner just keeps demanding things, gets in trouble and never brings home the bacon it’s time to cut ties or just let them walk out the door. You certainly don’t give your self a heart attack about it or build them a new house when money is tight.

2. buster1 says:

Congratulations Packers,It was a great game . One for the record books. You are a GREAT team and a GREAT franchise that deserves it all.. I am a Viking fan true and loyal but (WE) are division teams and I was with you all the way as I hope if the Vikings ever get there again that you will be there for us too. GREAT JOB AND VICTORY. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

3. Ron in Stillwater says:

Great job Pack ! Over the last 20 years or so I have had my purple do a fade out and honestly been a total convert to the Packer Nation.I can’t put my finger on it – it’s something about the tradition, the truly loyal fan base, the grunt blue collar mentality that seems to be their calling card. Win or lose I’ve jumped ship to the dismay of my TC neighbors. Shoot – maybe you all should hop on board too as the Vikes are not long for these parts IMO. Unless you pay the ransom that is. lol
    LA Vikings ?

4. See ya says:

Bye Bye Vikes and Wilfs. We don’t need you. And we don’t need your tax supported stadium. Just across the border we have the Pack. A real team with real management.

1. Jim Perra says:

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1960 in Green Bay. Last game with the Vikings,as I was walking down the street to return to my car elated over Brent’s (:-)) attempt to stick it to the Packers, a young pretty blond was saying in a very loud voice: “I hate this F….en town, I hate this F….en team and I hate these F…en people”. I wonder what she is saying now.:-))

5. Jake says:

Right now, the Lions have a better chance at making the Super Bowl than the Vikes do. Since Dayton won’t use casinos to fund a new stadium, say adios to the Vikes. Besides, the NFL will never let them win a Super Bowl — not after what happened against the Aint’s a year ago. Let Zigi move them wherever he wants to, lotsa luck.

6. UnPack says:

One can only hope that cooler heads will prevail and these legislators will get it together and get this stadium deal done. There may be some on this forum who are ready to say good-bye to the Vikes, but I think a larger portion would love to see them stay. Good for the Pack, but my allegience will always be with the Purple. ( and I’m not talkin’ Prince)!

7. Jeremy says:

75% of all Super Bowl wins are by just 8 teams. 11 teams have won 85% of all Super Bowls. Looking back, most Super Bowls are won by dynasties or mini-dynasties that happen through fortunate drafting after many lean years. Remember, the Steelers made the playoffs ONCE from 1933 to 1971 and never won a division in 38 years. String a few great drafts together is what is needed. Who knows when that luck will materialize. Hope I’m around to see it.

8. IH8football says:

Some of you have way to much time on your hands, get a hobby better yet find a woman, you guys are not football players just a bunch of couch potatoes who wish that there lives amounted to something

1. Joker of Spades says:

If you don’t like football, don’t watch. Easy as that. You don’t have to slam on people that enjoy it. You probably enjoy doing something I don’t, but you want hear me telling you that you are a loser because of it. Ever hear of live and let live? If you hate football so much, why did you even read this article?

1. Jim Jones says:

I agree with J of S. Why not enjoy the game with a woman and a bag of couch potato chips? Trifecta! IH8football should watch some ice skating and let the football fans be.

9. Mkadlec says:

God does like a Viking fan,

Born in 1962, I watched the likes of Chuck Foreman and Fran Tarkington crush my hopes of a return to Packer Glory. In return I got Jerry Tagge, John Hadle, Jack Concannon, David Whitehurst, Jim Del Gazo, Rich Cambell, Don Majkowski, Brett Favre.

Here is the point

I do enjoy Viking fans tooting your baby plastic horns and wearing the fake briads, or if is braids I am not a Minnesotan so I am not sure what men in Minnesota call their braids.

All Kidding aside I do not want to watch the Green Bay Packers playing the Los Angles Vikings in 2014 .

I hate You guys evenmore than the bears.

MJK

10. super bowlsports betting says:

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i am glad to exhibit that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I such a lot surely will make sure to don?t omit this website and provides it a glance regularly.