Minn. Nurse Accused In Drug Theft Called ‘Scapegoat’

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — An attorney for a Minnesota nurse accused of stealing painkillers from a patient before surgery says his client is being made a “scapegoat” by the hospital.

Sarah May Casareto of Forest Lake is charged with theft of a controlled substance. She’s accused of taking some of the painkiller intended for a patient before kidney stone surgery at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis last November.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that Casareto’s attorney, Max Keller, issued a statement saying an alleged comment by the nurse — telling her patient he needed to “man up” — was taken out of context.

Because of patient confidentiality, hospital officials say they cannot discuss specifics. But a spokesman for Allina Hospitals and Clinics, owner of Abbott Northwestern, notes that Casareto’s employment at the hospital ended as a result of her refusal to take a drug screen.

Comments

1. St Paul says:

Let’s wait and hear this nurses story before we (or the press) jump to any conclusions. Just my opinion. Hang in there Sarah!

1. Matt says:

Hang in there? You’re kidding right?

1. Nike says:

Kidding? No, not really. Don’t you think EVERYONE deserves their day in court to allow the facts to be presented before the rush to judgement? Regardless of what the factless district attorney or press wants you to hear, she is entitled to defend herself of any crime she may be accused of. Just because YOU think you have enough information to convict her is not good enough to allow justice to be thrown out the window.

2. Mark says:

Hey – I just saw this one on True Crime Reports. The forum there is wondering why the people doing the surgery didn’t do something when the guy was in a lot of pain during the surgery. Any answers?

3. Christina Nerlien says:

Explains it pretty well to me.. 4 empty syringes?? Why wouldn’t she take a drugg test if she didn’t do anything wrong?? Sounds very fishy to me. The victim was interviewed on 830 and he said he had no intention of suing over this and actually forgives this woman!!

I don’t and that kind of suffering is demented and wrong!! She is a NURSE who is in charge of people in their most compromised position..

send her to J-A-I-L!!

4. Billy says:

She’s accused of taking some of the painkiller intended for a patient before kidney stone surgery at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis last November????

I thought this happened a couple days ago.

5. Luvin Life says:

how does she breathe with those tiny little nose holes?

1. Matt says:

Maybe that is what the stolen drugs were for.

6. william says:

Plead drug abuse, go to treatment on your insurance that you could probavly sue the hospital to get back and keep your license.

7. The Trend says:

Typical woman- no matter how appalling your behavior- just turn your self into the victim.

8. mark says:

you jackwagons…. she is a low life abuser and had no regard for the pain she caused. GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL.

What has she been doing since November?

1. The Trend says:

Exactly Mark- memo to Sarah- “manning up” isn’t about taking agony so you can get stoned- it about taking responsibility for your actions. Time for you to “man up” Sarah.

9. whatajoke says:

The problem with the court sysytem being such a joke? LAWYERS! Let’s make everything everyone else’s fault. Let’s not make my client responsible for their own actions, let’s make them the victim and then I get a big fat paycheck and my cirminal client gets to go home and do it again! As long as it doesn’t affect me or my family and I get filthy rich, what do I care?!?!

10. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

Poor me I didn’t do anything wrong. I’m the victim, I was raised wrong, people hated me, I was picked on as a child, blah, blah, blah She is a joke and needs to go to prison!!

11. mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

dont forget to spay and neuter and keep the stupid population down

12. Victim Du Jour says:

~What a drag it is growing old~