Do You Agree With This Iowa Wrestler?

Click here to see the Story…

Click Here to watch the video.

More from John Hines
Comments

1. Melissa says:

I agree he had every right to choose not to compete against a girl in a contact sport. He was respectful in his reasoning. I can understand wanting to pursue a sport you love, but wrestling consists of constant physical contact, grabbing and pulling. Sounds like borderline asssult to me. Why would a girl put herself in that kind of position just to prove a point

2. johnnycmoun says:

I agree with Melissa that this sport should be recoginized by gender.

3. Adam says:

I believe that this sport needs to have boys and girls separated… A male wrestler can’t be expected to go and wrestle a girl and call it a sport, as someone else said “…that is borderline assault”. I understand that a girl may want to choose to wrestle, but it just is not fair to expect guys to go into physical combat with her.It is not right to cause someone a shot at a state championship simply because it is against his religion.

4. Angie says:

I just encountered a high school wrestler at a school today who was totally unresponsive, and could barely stay awake in class because he has been fasting to make weight for a match.

If there needs to be a discussion about physical and psychological health of athletes, perhaps we need to investigate how the weight issue is extremely unhealthy for these young bodies.

I know that the sport is one of the oldest in existence, and respect the history of it, but to subject young boys to starving themselves to get into a weight class just isn’t appropriate in my eyes. When girls do this, we call it bulimia and anorexia. Why the double standard?

There is also a difference in how we view the human body in the U.S. as compared to Europeans. The puritans sort of did a number on our body image and made us much more sensitive about our physical selves. If the sport isn’t available competitively to girls in a gender separated way, then they should be allowed to give it a try. This is IF she genuinely wants to compete and feels competent to compete against the boys. But if it is only being done for show, or to make a point, I don’t feel that is in anyone’s best interest.

5. Dwight says:

I’d like to know what religion this guy practices or follows, that would not allow him to wrestle a girl. I’ve never heard of such a thing. As far as the girl wanting to wrestle, that’s her decision and I respect that. “Borderline abuse”?! Really?! Is it abuse if guys are wrestling each other? Do you think wrestlers get any sexual satisfaction from wrestling a girl? A guy? It’s a sport people! Yes, physical, but if she can hold her own and compete with these guys… go for it! I’d be more concerned with Angie’s comment!

6. Joy says:

I feel boys and girls should play this sport separately. I can only speak for myself but I tried to teach my boys to open doors for girls and to be kind a gentle so I think they’d both see this as a dilemma as well. I know times have changed but this seems different to me than baseball or some of those types of sports. Sorry if I sound chauvinistic but I think if girls want to wrestle they should do it separately from boys. It’s just too much groping and it’s too close.

7. Joy says:

That should say “kind and gentle.” Sorry.

8. Kevin says:

The next thing you know, a guy could get arrested for actually bumping into a woman in a crowded elevator!

9. Graham says:

Good for him to refuse to wrestle a woman! Three cheers for him with sticking to his own guns!!!

10. Cassandra Morrison says:

He was right. It would not have been a fair match and that kind of contact between the sexes can lead to other embarrassing situations.