DeBlog: Happy President’s Day

By Jason DeRusha, WCCO-TV

Kids are funny about holidays and days off school. This morning, Seth (my 5-year-old) told me that he likes to stay home on holidays. I explained that President’s Day wasn’t really that kind of day.

Yesterday, he decided that we needed to do something to celebrate. So like any normal kindergartener, he suggested that everyone in the family make a poster with our favorite President.

“It will say ‘By Seth’ or ‘By Daddy’ and then ‘My favorite president is,'” he suggested.

So we went online, pulled up images of the presidents and made posters. Then he wanted to put some facts on it. So we did that too. Pretty funny.

He also wanted it on the front door, “So everyone can see it.” That’s where it is, of course.

I picked President Teddy Roosevelt, he picked “George,” my wife picked Lincoln and 3-year-old Sammy picked Barack Obama.

So if the question is good enough for my 5-year-old, I thought its good enough for you. Who’s your favorite president and why? Share your thoughts in the comments. You don’t even have to make a poster.

More from Jason DeRusha
Comments

1. Matt Otto says:

I actually have three presidents that I like the best out of all of them: Ronald Reagan, Teddy Roosevelt, and Abe Lincoln. But if I have to pick one of those three, I’ll pick Ronald Reagan. All great men who did great things for this country.

1. Kelly McMoligan says:

I pick, Obama, Obama, Obama…Wait…He hasn’t actually done anything REAL yet! Of course, he has somehow ascended to near Demigod status in the eyes and hearts of liberal idiots everywhere!…Maybe that means something, besides liberals are fools.

2. Marc Mastel says:

I have to say Bill Clinton. Not only was the country in great shape during his presidency, but he seems like the kind of guy I could have a beer and a conversation with.

1. Kelly McMoligan says:

Marc, we both know that president Clinton and you would probably get “busy” before too long…especially with beer in the mix.

3. Tod Hjulberg says:

Dwight “Ike” Eisenhower. Having served in the military, I am also a huge military WWII history buff. The fact that he first served as the Supreme Commander for the Allied Forces over Nazi germany, then later to become the 34th President – a true leader. He died 2 months later after I was born in 1969. My son, Jake, likes George W. Bush – because he talks funny and Frank Calliendo does best impressions of him which he finds hilarious.

4. Kassie says:

Roosevelt and Roosevelt. One for saving us from economic depression and the other for his commitment to the environment and natural treasures.