Good Question: Can Certain Sleep Positions Cause Wrinkles?

By Jason DeRusha, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — We expect sleep to be restorative, to heal our body and rejuvenate, but the way you sleep can actually cause wrinkles. So, what position should we sleep in to look our best?

“It absolutely can (cause wrinkles) over time,” said Dr. Jaime Davis of Uptown Dermatology and Skin Spa in Minneapolis. “If you fold a piece of paper enough times you get an etched crease there.”

Men tend to sleep on their stomachs and they tend to get wrinkles on our foreheads. Women tend to be side-sleepers and they get more wrinkles on their cheeks.

“As far as wrinkles are concerned, you’re probably best to sleeping flat on your back,” said Davis, or at least, try to vary your sleep position.

She said that she’s had patients come in with wrinkles focused on one side of their face, and quite often, it’s because the person is sleeping on that particular side.

More from Jason DeRusha
Comments

1. Jennifer Collins Taylor says:

So if I sleep upside down, like a bat, my chin will stop “falling”?

2. Beth says:

jennifer collins taylor, thank you for a great laugh!

3. pat says:

Now they tell us!

4. LoveItOrleaveIt says:

It’s too late for me! I’ve been a side sleeper for 45 years due to a back problem. I guess I “choose” wrinkles rather than having pain in my back. I’d have to make that choice again, though.

5. Lisa Mikelson says:

I am a massage therapist and I believe that the best way to sleep is on your back with your lower legs raised. Having your knees down to your ankles raised will flatten out your lower back protecting it and making your sleep more comfortable. A nurse told me putting something under your knees will take out some of the low back arch, but having feet lower than your knees is not good for circulation. So raising the entire lower leg is the way to go. Sleeping on your back also allows your chest to open up. Most people spend their days with their arms in front of them ( on the computer or driving ) and this is our only chance to relax and open up that chest cavity. It’s nice to have one more reason to tell my client to sleep on their backs.🙂

6. K. says:

I am trying to figure out how a man gets wrinkles on his forehead from sleeping on his stomach. This would mean that he would have to be face-down on the mattress………not only face-down, but chin tucked. This is not comfortable and I don’t know who does this. Most of the time, a stomach sleeper would have their heads turned one way or the other; so, wrinkles would occur at the same rate as side sleeper…….right? I don’t get it.

7. sarah says:

I just saw a commercial for Smooth Sleepers. They are clear and you wear them under your eyes while you sleep and they get rid of wrinkles plus keep wrinkles from developing. I bought some. It looks very convincing.

8. TacHee BuendHiia says:

Forehead wrinkles are part of aging process irrespective of gender. Genetical factors contribute to forehead wrinkles to a major extent.Some other factors like sleeping position, facial expressions, smoking, exposure to sun all causes forehead wrinkles.

9. JP Schulte says: