Mold Conquers Home In Homebuyer’s Nightmare

By Rachel Slavik, WCCO-TV

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — A St. Paul couple is stuck in a homebuyer’s nightmare.

The Tambornino’s home is now threatening their health. The trouble started as soon as they moved in.

From the outside, the house at 287 Blair Ave. looks like your average St. Paul home, but on the inside, life for the Tamborninos is anything but ordinary.

“It eats away at my happiness, my soul every day,” said De Tambornino, a first time homebuyer.

Instead of making use of the entire two-story home, De only stays in one plastic covered room.

“I have to shower at the gym at work. I can’t walk out into my kitchen and cook dinner,” she said.

Mold throughout the home, from the basement to the second floor, has put her and her husband Mike’s health in jeopardy.

“I have immediate respiratory reactions when I come into the house,” said De.

The only way De can leave the room is with a respirator. That’s not exactly what the Tamborninos had in mind when they decided to buy about a year ago.

“We knew we weren’t getting a perfect house,” she said. “We didn’t expect a perfect house, but what we paid for was a move-in ready home.

The couple said their inspector only found minor problems, and the seller agreed to roof repairs in the purchase agreement.

“We believed them, because we didn’t think we had to not believe them,” De said.

The Tamborninos never had a final walk-through and didn’t know their inspector could come back.

“They attempted to repair, but the repairs made the roof leak more, was maliciously repaired,” she said.

From that point on, the Tamborninos said they were stuck in a game of back-and-forth with the seller. They said they tried to have the roof fixed, but were ignored. All the while moisture was seeping through the leaky roof, triggering mold in the basement to spread.

“It’s hard to get up in the morning and that’s sign of long term mold exposure,” Mike Tambornino said.

After hiring a lawyer, the Tamborninos learned the house had a long list of deficiencies. The city listed items that needed to be corrected before it was put on the market including basement moisture and mold.

“I know for a fact that the certificate for compliance didn’t get issued until June. There should not have been a sale,” said Ricardo Cervantes, the director of the Department of Safety and Inspections in St. Paul.

The Tamborninos are now planning to sue and have a message for other first-time homebuyers.

“Always make sure you do final walk through and make sure inspector comes back. Had we done the final walk through, we would have never moved into the house,” Mike said.

We tried to contact the seller, Twin Cities Real Estate Partners, who did not return our calls. The contractor who remodeled the home said that the job was completed to code, to law, and to ordinance.

Another business associate said that the Tamorninos wouldn’t be satisfied with any work.

*UPDATE: Twin Cities Real Estate e-mailed WCCO and said all the work was done well, and that the Tamborninos knew exactly what they were getting. They say the city signed off on the renovations to the vacant house and issued a new occupancy permit.

They also accused the couple of damaging their own house on purpose to get money in a lawsuit. The Tamborninos said they took apart some areas of the home to help find mold, but that they’ll pay for any of that damage.

More from Rachel Slavik

1. Mike says:

Devoid of human spirit, devoid of any sense of empathy, devoid of compassion, devoid of spirit…………….. You are devil spawn.

They were deceived in their purchase. The house should not have been placed on the market until the problems with the home were resolved. They will get through this with some expense and help through an attorney that will ultimately be paid by the seller, Twin Cities Real Estate Partners and the inspector.

1. Defrauded says:

Many home sellers have covered up mold and water problems. Read true stories from over 15 years ago where very intelligent, competent home buyers purchased newer homes with mold problems. Inspectors are only liable for what they can visually inspect. There is little regulation of inspectors. We were out our entire life savings after we purchased a 4 year old house with major water and mold problems that had been concealed.

The sellers broke the law by selling the house before compliance.

2. Simmer Down Mike says:

How do you know all this? Are you a clairvoyant?

2. Terri says:

I feel for the couple, but there is a saying “Let the buyer beware” Always do your homework before buying a home, read everything you can get your hands on to help you through the home buying process. Go to classes and lastly use your HEAD not your HEART when you buy a home. It is going to be your house for quite some time, make it work for you instead of you working for it. My father who has been selling houses for 40 years has this piece of advice, always look at a house that you are looking at buying as if you are selling it. “can I sell this house tomrrow, will someone else buy it?”

3. Jen says:

“They said they tried to have the roof fixed, but were ignored. All the while moisture was seeping through the leaky roof, triggering mold in the basement to spread.”

They should have hired someone themeselves to fix it & then pursued reimbursement from the seller, in court if necessary. There’s no way I’d let the roof continue to leak in my home. And if I saw mold in the basement, you’d better believe I’d have someone in asap to get rid of it, and ditto seeking reimbursement. I sure wouldn’t let it grow & walk around with a respirator on!

1. Ellie says:

They’re my neighbors and I watched Mike patch the roof several times since they moved in. He had stopped the leaking till winter ice dams hit, and they were trying to save up to get it completely re-done but had too many setbacks you aren’t aware of that prevented them from getting everything taken care of. They also had mold remediators come through and abated their basement several times to reduce the levels of mold, the problem is the foundation isn’t waterproofed and mold keeps coming back till the foundation is fixed which is also a costly repair they can’t currently afford.

4. Mark from says:

I feel sorry for these people, but they failed to do their homework. Was it Barnum and Bailey who said “There is a sucker born every minute?”

1. Iconoclast says:

Getting sick of your crap Mark. It’s always they same. Get a life and a heart. Anybody can be like you but it takes guts to actually act like a human being.

2. Patrick says:

Getting sick of your hard nosed attitude Mark. Anybody can act that part. It takes courage and guts to act like a real human being. I see through you. Get a life and stop being such a tool.

1. DS says:

I agree with mark, it is not about having a heart and being human it is about stupidity and having a brain half decent people with IQ of 50 will fix tghe roof in order not to have the water leak and mold the whole house, it is like living with trash in your kitchen till it smells and routen becasue no one told yoiu that you you have to take the trash every week..l.;l

3. John Frykman says:

Actually, it was P.T. Barnum. He didn’t even know Bailey at the time.

4. KM says:

Mark, you are right on with your comment…they should have done their homework first. They even admit to that!! And the fact that they continue to live in this house in the condition it is in, shows a continued lack of good judgment. If they have respiratory problems…MOVE OUT! As someone else commented they should have brought in their own fix it team when it was first discovered, not waiting for the seller to fix it while the roof continued leaking.

Your comment was not unlike a number of other comments, why yours is being singled out as being heartless is confusing to me.

It is time for people to take responsibility for their own unwise decisions. To expect that is not being cruel or heartless!

1. M B says:

And you never made a mistake as a young person? You NEVER, EVER trusted in someone to do their job and do as they said they would yet still got burnt? You’ve gone through your WHOLE life knowing everything and being omnipotent about everything?

Lucky you.

How do you expect these people to know this stuff in the first place? Yes, you can look on the net for some stuff, but if your inspector and real estate agent is lazy and/or incompetent and you don’t know better and have never had the experience of buying a house before, how would you know?

Everyone keeps blaming them like they were supposed to know better. HOW? We live and learn, and have to deal with our mistakes. It must be wonderful for those who just say “MOVE OUT” to have enough money to do that. Must be nice to be rolling in the cash to be able to just say “Hey! we can go!”

They don’t have the money or they obviously WOULD have left. SO, they are doing what they can how they can.

Stop criticizing them for being human, and instead get off your rears and maybe suggest things that would HELP, instead of yelling at them and laughing.

I would personally, on a warmer day, make a garden sprayer full of bleach water (look up online the best ratio for killing mold) and go through the house, spraying the moldy areas, leaving the windows open to vent the fumes. They’ve already closed off the room they live in.

2. DVS says:

Yes, move out…..ya know because all people have unlimited funds and spare apartments in their pockets…I mean I do, what;s wrong with this couple? (plz sense the sarcasm here).

5. helper says:

mark is just a troll.

He tries to get people to look at his lame blog. He’s a loser with no job.

5. Brian says:

Not only did the home owners not do their homework, but their realtor possibley failed them as well. Was it right the seller tried to pull a fast one, no how ever had they done the final inspection and saw these issues it would of been easier to come back at the seller at the time or to walk away. I really hope they win their case and wish them luck.

fyi this is one of the reasons I avoided houses in the cities, to many houses where just utter junk mold, foundation issues, leaks in the walls, etc.

6. No Common Sense says:

I have to agree with Mark and Jen. As I read the article, I thought the home buyers were just as culpable as everyone else. Once again, common sense was lost somewhere in the legal battle.

7. haveaheart says:

Is it really necessary to call them names? if anyone wants to call anyone names and be rude, it should be towards the liars and deceiving people that would have the heart to hurt this young couple. Not only the sellers but the inspectors and Realtors as well. the sellers knew there were issues and still sold the house to a young and excited couple. Did you people ever hear the saying,If you cant say anything nice, DONT say anything at all.!!!!!! They have enough to deal with. They dont need the heartless ridicule as well. whats it going to do but make them feel worse. They are going to have to endure years of financial and possibly medical issues because of a few untrustworthy, deceiving,selfish liars because of this…

8. Allison says:

I know these people and it wasn’t a question of them “not doing their homework.” The seller lied on the disclosures and the Tamborninos were promised repairs on the purchase agreement that never happened. They patched the roof to mitigate damages and abated the basement to reduce the high levels of mold present, but they are working with an extremely limited budget and didn’t have the $78,000 to spend on fixing the hidden deficiencies in that home. Their story is so much greater than what was shown here and to judge them without having all the facts is ignorant and rude.

9. JamieinMN says:

I think both parties were desperate. Seller was desperate to sell, Buyer was desperate to make their first home purchase. I feel bad that this has happened to them but nobody, not even renters (at least me) would NOT do a final walk-through in a place I will call home.

10. Tonya says:

You get what you pay for.

1. Jennifer says:

lol and how much did they pay for it?.

11. Frustrated says:

It’s my understanding that if a seller knowingly withholds critical damage on the the disclosure, that the seller is copable. Am I wrong? Also, if the home is that saturated by mold, wouldn’t the city deem it inhabitable?

1. JamieinMN says:

Well, in the article it states that there were only MINOR repairs. The Buyers then asked the sellers to fix the repairs (the roof) and they agreed they would. The sellers then made the roof much worse which caused MORE leakage and MUCH more of a problem. They weren’t withholding critical damage, per-say. They just made it worse (unknowingly it seems) and left things the way they were when they closed on the house.

1. Gordon says:

The article states that the Tambornino’s home inspector only found minor repairs to request be done, home Inspectors don’t do invasive testing, and they found out later that the sellers had blatently lied on the purchase agreement and covered up numerous issues that were hazardous, things a home inspector wouldn’t have found because it would need invasive testing to find. It seems more like this house was a bait and switch…they tried to sell it as this great home that didn’t need work and really it was just a pretty shellac on a rotting property.

2. Mike Tambornino says:

2. Eric says:

Apparently the city wouldn’t

12. Hannah says:

Why do people enjoy calling other people names when they are “suffering”? WCCO should not print those who are the rude ones!

13. JB says:

The bottom line, there are scumbag sellers willing to lie big time to sell a home nowadays. I was in a similiar situation a year ago. I didn’t have the mold issue, but the previous owners lied about getting water in the basement. I contacted the previous owner to them and she said she had water in the basement every single year for 8 years, but how do you prove it. Even the next door neighbor who has lived there for 20 plus years said he has seen in the past people carrying out wet carpet after a heavy rain. The previous owner did a great job of painting over walls, the basement floor, etc.. I didn’t wait for the problem to escalate like these folks did. I went out and dropped $4500 and had drain tile and a sump pump installed. I haven’t had a drop since *knock on wood*. IYou have two years after purchase to take the seller to court. I have another year. The funny thing is, one of the sellers is a realtor, who could be in even bigger trouble if i pursure.

14. Rick says:

These people are absolutely insane and clearly just trying to solve the problem by suing whoever they can to make a buck.

They have no one to blame but themselves if they did not bother to have a proper inspection before purchasing that dump. It looks to be a clear case of a hastily purchased money pit by someone who thinks they are far more capable of their own home repairs than they really are and now they want out.

Good luck.

1. James says:

Considering that the couple has never asked for any money other than what is needed to make the repairs promised in the purchase agreement, I don’t understand how you can make the claim that they are just looking for a quick buck. The home had supposedly passed all the necessary inspections, it was found out later that the problems were hidden and lied about, anyone would’ve been duped in this situation.

2. Mike Tambornino says:

read the story Rick we did have it inspected and only minor things where asked to be fixed, I was at the time a Cheif Engineer of a 10 story building I knew the house needed some work and offered under the asking price. we ended up paying full asking because the seller stated it had been remodeled with new plumbing, a new kitchen, new appliances, 2 new bathrooms and the whole place was freshly panted. The seller also stated it was in move in ready condition. at closing we didnt get keys and upon entering our home we found all the Windows open and the place was covered in sheet rock dust from top to bottom with a strong oder of decay in the air. we could not move in needless to say.

15. Roger Wilson says:

Housing inspectors are bonded. Present the $80,000 bill for the repair to the bonding company and they should pick up the tab.

I had a similar issue with the first home that my daughter purchased. Defects not found by the inspector and the bonding company paid for the repairs.

16. GDavis says:

Well, now I know which realtor NOT to use if we move closer to the cities.

17. robin says:

common sence really needs to make a come-back—respiratory……..seriously, you made your own problem–a seller can sell anything—if you do not have the sence to double check and verify, then you deserve what ya get

1. Mike Tambornino says:

Believe me I feel dumb now knowing what I do but at the time I didnt know jack and put my trust into our reality agent, she never did her research and homework never checked with the city on things and never checked to see if the seller even had closed all the permits. hell the city even stated the house was sold illegality what more could I have done, I didnt have u to help me back then with all of your insight. so can u help me now or is it just easier to place blame without the facts?

18. Mhick says:

I can sympathize with the homebuyers, we are currently in a similar situation.
    Unless you have been in the situation, please don’t be so quick to judge the homebuyer. We did everything right, we had excellent credit, a home inspection, obtained disclosures, etc. – the seller was desperate to get out of the house due to financial reasons and failed to disclose prior structural and water problems. Now we are liable to disclose ALL defects to potential buyers when we try to sell. $50k in repairs. We don’t have an extra $20k laying around to go to civil court, with no guarantee of winning, so we are stuck with the bill. The agent even failed to disclose to us that the seller told them they would take the house back!! The agent/broker were aware of the problems, but failed to bring them forward. Read the Minneosota statutes and get educated, because if this ever happens to you, you will feel exactly as the
    Tamborninos do.

1. Eric says:

You should band together and educate future homebuyers on the hidden dangers of buying homes in the twincities

19. Dave L says:

I have been watching “Holmes Inspection” on HGTV for a couple months now. If there is a lesson it is get a well qualified inspector to do a thorough inspection before taking possession – emphasis on THOROUGH. Don’t assume just hiring any licensed inspector is going to get you a decent inspection. Go with the inspector and share any concerns you have from your own look at the house. And before you list your own house for sale do the same and hopefully avoid headaches and lawsuits later.

1. Eric says:

I wonder what Mike Holmes would say about this situation

20. Mike Tambornino says:

I see al lot of comments of why do we stay in the house and why dont we fix the roof or clean up the basement, all great questions. we where promised the roof would be fixed and it was not we took steps to stop it from leaking but this winter has ben super hard on roofs and it continues to leak. we have no money to move out we dumped all our money in to this FHA move in ready Obama Tax credit home and have lost a ton of money just to keep the house from getting any worse. my wife and I have no more money, no place to go, and beleve me the mold is just the iceing on the cake with all that is wrong. the city rubberstamped a report that should of been compleated. yes I should of done more home work but our realastate agent and the seller all said everything was up to code and yes to and fix it request. I would love to move out or fix all that is wrong but canter because this house has bankrupted us and we are stuck. it is this or homeless and this is better in someways.

21. Bruce says:

The posters who lack any empathy to this situation need to stop and think about why they even posted.

If a child rode their bike in the middle of the road swerving back and forth ultimately became the victim of a hit and run, would you scowl and post on the story, “It is their own fault they got hurt.”

If a middle aged male walked into a gas station and while he paid for his purchase was blown away by some robber looking to score some easy bills, would you laugh and respond to the story, “Wrong place at the wrong time.”

Things happen to people that are not favorable, no matter what they did to get there it’s humanly to sympathize. The Tamborninos are brave for putting their story out there knowing there would be people who would think and say heartless things. The ultimate question is: Do you want to be the person who clicks that Submit Comment knowing you’ll be making someone, who has had enough sadness already, feel a little worse that day?

Try to resist those urges to speak negativity from your colon lining and give support instead. I definitely hope for a happy ending for both De and Mike.

1. Bennett W Ryan says:

Bruce said it perfectly with the child analogy. It is the child’s fault for being in the middle of the road, but no one would be yelling at the child saying they should have known better. They would be yelling at the driver who was doing what they should have been doing.

Too many people pass judgment on others in this world and scorn them for making mistakes that could, and probably have happened or will happen to every one.

I hope everything works out for you and De, Mike. How shady and unreliable people are these days sickens me.

22. Klank says:

I have seen this house, Have seen the reports and the documents, all the problems that were listed as to be corrected before the house was sold was a big list! and nothing or very little was done. yet it didnt look that bad these problems were hidden well, people say you should look better, well this house should not have been even on the market! it looked great when sold its only having someone who knows about these kinds of problems that they were discovered! if it had been someone in bad or worse health and not knowledgable in things like this it would have been worse, and how many other houses are like this!

23. john says:

I have been in this house and watched these good people go thru hell, people say look harder, this house looked good at time of sale! ive seen the reports and all the issues that should have been taken care of before it was sold. the black mould and the air quality that was registered at 100 times the safe limit! who has these tools and knowledge to do these things. its only because someone did have knowledge that these things were discovered yet to late! it could have been alot worse had someone in bad or worse health moved into this house with no knowledge of these kinds of problems! the list goes on and on with problems that should have been fixed as the inspector in the video says! news dosent cover half of it!

24. Robert markus says:

That is just horrible. I hope its made right.

25. Nurse Sally says:

Based on a news story, you’re all assuming that the seller’s at fault. It could possibly be that when all the facts are in, the buyer may have actually been harmed unrelated to the transaction itself. We only got one sensationalized side of this story. Do you really believe WCCO made an earnest attempt to reach the seller?

1. Tambo supporter says:

they did his comment was the last thing the wcco news anchor said ” the Tamborninos wouldn’t be happy with any amount of repairs” that was his offical off camera statement. Wcco did a second fallow up scoop the next day after the original story aired and in that scoop the Tambornino’s stated all they wanted was to have the roof fixed and all the agreement’s fulfilled.

26. tyler says:

They should never have had to go through any of that!

27. Judge Judy says:

I understand Mr.Tamborino is a professional roofing contractor and inspecting the home in question 6-8 times prior to the sale. Hmmmm…poor baby.

1. Judge Joe Brown says:

The fact that Mr. Tambornino was a professional roofer is the only reason that leaking was discovered prior to closing, the roof was covered in snow during all showings & inspectuons & the disclosure stated it didn’t leak. When the leaking was pointed out to the seller, repairs were added to the purchase agreement which is a legally binding contract. The roof was never repaired by the seller to stop the leaking, was patched by Mr. Tambornino to prevent additional leaks, & the mold throughout the house was more a result from pre-existing issues in the basement which were covered up & lied about on said discosure. If the seller had said no to repairs the tamborinos wouldve walked away. They are poor babies, for believing someone would uphold their legal obligations.

28. Arica says:

I believe that the Tambornino’s are like any other couple trying to buy their first home with out much experience. It’s not as if they knew all the legalities or even each step and unfortunately it’s not as if the others involved were willing to let them in on all the things they had the option to do before buying the home. The sale of that house was illegal and they shouldn’t have to live in a home that isn’t safe. Not everyone in this economy can afford to just fix everything in a house that is wrong when they didn’t know there was so much. I hope that things get worked out sooner than later for them. I am also glad that they shared their story so hopefully other first time homebuyers aren’t as in the dark as they were.

29. Christina Nerlien says:

Wow, the comments are crazy.. I went to HS with Mike and we (Hubby and I) are also in the process of purchasing our first home.

They (Mike and De) admitted they made mistakes.. They should have done the walkthrough. They were trusting people who made a dreadful mistake (walkthrough).

These people DO NOT deserve to live in a mold infested house. No one does.. Also, NO ONE wants to see these people (or any like them) in this situation.. It is appaulling and I hope they get these issues fixed.

Even the Director of safety and inspections said something criminal took place.. The horrendous messages on here are bitter and have no basis in reality. the city is behind them..

Good luck to you both!

30. ross markus says:

I don’t understand how the city let this happen, how they could let the inspectors pass reports that were later found to be incorrect. I wonder if any money changed hands to okay code violations that had not been corrected? Where was the couples realtors in all of this?

31. jan markus says:

Why would anyone buy a house with mold if they were allergic to it?……there’s the logic… no one in they’re right mind would buy a house if they knew the house had mold in it! And the realator knew de was allergic to mold why would she suggest this house.

32. heather says:

Wow! What kind of people do we live with these days??!! You cant seem to trust anyone!! This couple shouldnt have to live their lives in a tapered off room!!!

33. Mortgage Professional says:

All sides are to blame, in my opinion.

House probably should have just been demolished.

1. Mike Tambornino says:

We where told after our first offer was rejected that the whole house was move in ready new appliances, 2 new bathrooms, a new kitchen, and the whole place was repainted, a 2 car new garage, we I expected it to be move in ready because that is what they promissed me and my wife.

2. Brian says:

A 25k house can’t be purchased with an FHA loan and wouldn’t qualify for the tax credit. Your argument is invalid.

3. Jennifer says:

um 25,000 where did you get that number anyways?? Do you even know how much they paid or when they bought it??

34. Helpful says:

Jon Bruntjen of Wayzata and Gale Stead of Excelsior are the owners of Twin Cities Real Estate Partners. Maybe someone should contact these individuals directly to see if they will do the right thing, whatever that is.

35. tiffany says:

I think a final walk through is a must, however i do feel someone besides the homeowners are responsible for it, my cousin went threw the same thing and the sellers had to pay her back!!

36. John Doe says:

Jonathan and Elizabeth Bruntjen should be held fully responsible for this unfortunate event, along with the contractor, Randy Renmark, who cuts corners on the properties he does. If you would like to contact these people, Jon can be reached at 612-810-7073 and Elizabeth at 612-889-5195. Endangering peoples lives cannot be taken lightly.

1. Jennifer says:

John Doe —That’s awesome that you posted this🙂 but it’s sad that there are people in the world like that.

37. Skinzzz says:

I’m wondering what type of mold it is. I’m to understand that even in the newest of houses some levels of mold can b found. They are non toxic and harmless. Can someone post what kind it was and levels? A quick google search will help. Also wondering why it costs 80 k to fix mold and roof? That’s probably more than the cost of the house to begin with. That doesn’t make any sense.

1. Mike Tambornino says:

We paied $134,900.00 for the FAH aproved home, and we had Moldex do 3 air samples in 3 locations and numerous Bio-Reveal test’s done soon after the mold started to show its self. Stachybotrys, Penicillium Aspergillus, and 13 other strains of mold where found, I dont have the report in front of me at the moment. De is allergic to Penicillin. In the 3 minute air sample in the basement the test showed the levels of Penicillim Aspergillus spores were counted at over 15,000 compared to the test done outside Penicillim Aspergillus read just over 100 spores in the same type of air sample. I hope this gives you some info that helps you.

38. Reed says:

If I were the person in this situation I wouldnt put up with it either!! These are all problems that should have been fixed before selling the house from hell. Why wasnt the realator insist on a walk through. Its their resposibility to do so.

39. Cassie says:

I know this couple and I think that this is tragic. I remember the day that they bought this house they were so excited and they tried for hours to reach the Realtor to get a final walk through, but they could not reach her before there closing.. so they just went through with the scheduled closing.. its sad that they didn’t know that the inspector could come back through and that they didn’t get to walk it before closing. . . within a short period of owing it they were served an eviction notice since there were SO many open permits… based on the information I am surprised that the house was not condemned. They have spent thousand of dollars to try and rid the house of mold. I know they do not want a dime of profit from this home.. they just want to be able to live in the home and I think that the seller should pay for the original repairs that were agreed on and the additional damage that was caused by failing to repair the roof. Unfortunately there were SO many more problems.. they knew the house was not perfect… like any buyer you repair somethings with time. The roof repair and mold in the basement should have kept it from being sold. I am praying that people step up to help Mike and De with time and man power since the house needs to be gutted. .. and maybe even a lawyer to step up to help them get the seller to pay for the repairs.

Praying for you guys!

40. Trev says:

The response from the seller is in direct contradiction with what the city of St. Paul official said. If there was no code compliancy issued, there couldn’t be an occupancy permit. Can the seller provide a valid copy of this alleged permit and if so, does the city of St. Paul have the same permit on file? In one of the comments it said the couple was sent an eviction notice from the city. I don’t think they would’ve sent the Tamborninos an eviction notice if the property had an occupancy permit. Seems to me that the seller is just lying to cover their own behinds.

41. Ashley says:

I feel so bad for this couple and wouldn’t wish something like this on my worst enemy. This is hitting them emotionally, physically, and financially. No one would ever suffer through this intentionally and I really hope the Tamborninos get everything they should have gotten out of this sale from the beginning. I just feel so bad for them and can’t imagine what it must be like to live like that every day!

42. Not surprised says:

Question; I’m reading through the comments that you are only asking for enough money to fix the roof and clean the mold? There is no way it costs 80k for those 2 items. Sounds to me like you are suing to repair everything in your house. I also looked into de and it looks like she’s tried suing an apartment in the past for mold issues. Sounds like they knew of the issues and are looking to make money. Why would anyone work with or for them when they are suing people left and right. Some people just need to cut their losses and get out. I think putting this story on here will only hurt your case when they look into their pasts.

1. Mike Tambornino says:

We never stated any amount of money we wanted I believe what people are confused about is a comment that was posted about a contractors bid we had done that we summited to the seller after he refused to fully complete two walk through meetings and lay clame to heat tapping the vent from the boiler that De and I had done ourselves. So we never got to sit down and come to an agreement we have always been willing and still are willing to let the seller complete all the perchance agreements, addendums, and settle with us over the lack of fallow through with the roof. This is a plaster and lath 1920 home with all the original woodwork from the crown molding to the floors even the wiring is tube and knob so to do repairs to this house are expensive and time consuming. We bought a FHA aproved move in ready home and lived on the front porch last summer and in a clean room this winter, the city, seller, and contractors knew of the mold, the city ordered the seller to remove it. so to wrap it up many parties are responsible and if we can with no money in our pockets and missing a few mortgage payments along the way we might get a few answers. I am willing to answer your questions as best as I can and remember everyone we only want our home fixed I just want to sleep next to my wife in a bedroom in my newly remodeled move in ready home.

2. De Tambornino says:

I won’t deny that I had the unfortunate experience in the past where an apartment I dearly loved living at had mold issues. I suffered for 2 years not knowing why I was sick all the time & finally discovered it was due to mold, I informed the apartment & they would only agree to change the air filter. I ended up having to move out 4 mo prior to the end of the lease & yes I tried to get my money back for those 4 mo, but none of my evidence was reviewed. Because of that incident I was very careful from that point on to ensure I WASN’T living in an environment with elevated levels of mold. Mike & I looked at over 50 homes prior to making our offer on the Blair Ave property & if the house/basement smelled even a little musty I would turn around & walk out & cross that property off the list. I HATE having to deal with the complications of having mold poisoning, HATE not having the freedom to live a normal life in my own home. If I had known this house would have re-occuring issues w/mold I wouldn’t have even considered it. As for your claim about the 80k, that was our 3rd attempt to negotiate with the sellers. We first asked simply for the repairs to be made to the roof, as promised in the purchase agreement. After that request was denied was when we received the eviction notice from the city because there was NO CODE COMPLIANCY or certificate of occupancy for the property. Soon after we were informed of & then received the 2009 code compliancy report given to the seller which listed 5 pages worth of repairs that needed to be complete & most of them hadn’t been done. This raised questions about what else was wrong with the house that we just couldn’t see. The seller refused to address these issues & parts of the house started falling apart from the shoddy workmanship, including the brand new bathroom they installed. At that point we asked to give the house back & get our money back…this too was refused. Finally we had a contractor come in & asked him to go through the house & give us a bid to bring everything up to code…the bid we got was for close to $79,000. The seller could have avoided this entire mess by not misrepresenting the true condition of the property, could have also avoided this by ACTUALLY fixing the roof as promised on the agreement. The longer the seller stalled on holding up his end of the problem the more expensive the cost to fix it became. You can try to mislead people & slander me, but I have the cold hard facts to back up what I’m saying & all you’re doing is grasping at straws. I have no interest in profiting from a lawsuit, all I want is what was promised, a move-in-ready house that is code compliant…a house that has a roof that doesn’t (& hasn’t) leaked, a basement that has never had moisture issues & no lead paint.

3. Jennifer says:

Actually that’s not true I have known De for a number of years and I was friends with her during both periods of time when she was going through this stuff and it is just pure coincidence that the apartment had a mold issue it was coming through the vents. She was sick all the time eventually she started coughing up blood. This went on for two years until she figured out it was mold. She had to move out of the apartment and they had charged her for months of rent when she wasn’t living there because of mold she only tried to get the exact amount of rent back that she was not there. If she was only trying to get money don’t you think she would ask for more then just exact amount of rent. She is not that kind of person at all. You don’t even know her you shouldn’t be so quick to judge someone you have never even met.

43. Bob Tambornino says:

I was present for a roof leak test ten days before closing on the house.The test failed. Three representatives of the seller saw the leaks.And said they would repair the leaks.

44. DVS says:

I’m confused as to why several people on here feel it is appropriate to blame the victim. Not only is it just plain mean to kick someone while they are down but it means that these people believe two things that seem completely illogical to me. First, It means that I as a consumer must move toward all purchases with paranoia. Why would I want to live that way? Second, it means that those as sellers should be able to lie and cheat and as long as they do not get caught prior to purchase they should not be held liable so they can move forward with no worries. Why would I want to support that? More precisely, why would those on here blaming the victim do that? I’m very interested to know. Don’t you realize that when you fault someone for being trusting you setting up a community of paranoia, cheating, and horrible living conditions. Personally, I would like to send businesses a message that we won’t take these kind of practices by not patronizing them and brinking what they are doing to the public. At the same time, I think bringing attention to businesses that are honest sends a message as well.
    Take care Mike and De; I hope this works out for you.

45. unbeleivable says:

black mold…uh huh…you wanna know where tons of black mold is?…The Falls PentIcle highrise condos right by the river in Minneapolis has it ALL OVER BEHIND THE BRICK FACADE!!! This building went through extensive restoration a couple years ago,and the moldy sheetrock didn’t get replaced on 90% of the building…hows the health o the renters there?

46. Jennifer says:

I feel bad for them no one should have to go through this. I can’t believe some of the people’s comments on here. That house should have never been sold in the first place with all the problems. That’s enough injustice in itself and something should be done. They were obviously tricked and lied to so some jerk could make and extra buck. This could happen to anyone. What if it was happening to one of your family members would you blame them for it. No one should have to live in their own home in this kind of stress and conditions. NO ONE!!

47. Get educated people! says:

First, I’m very surprised that a house that needed roof repairs and what sounds like a lot of other repairs, would even qualify for a an FHA mortgage. Second, there are many ways to fix the problems of a wet basement. Gutters on the house and regrading the exterior to slope away from the house can solve most of the moisture issues. That said, a lath & plaster house is just not going to hold up well anymore, and I’m guessing the foundation looks pretty rough. Older houses like this are a huge risk. The best advice for first time homebuyers is to take a HUD-approved first time homebuyer education course. The classes are offered the Twin Cities. Make sure you have a reputable realtor, and don’t be afriad to check references and verify license status. And if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Good luck!

48. Meghan says:

Point blank, the house should never have been sold. It is unfortunate that this is affecting Mike and De both financial and their health wise. No one deserves this. Even if they had a final walkthrough and their inspector came back, that probably would not have changed anything. Most people would just walk away from the house and let it go back to the bank. At least they are trying. They are doing the right thing to try to get justice.

49. Megan T. says:

I am appalled at some of the comments on here. De has been one of my best friends for many years now and it really hurts me to see some of these comments. None of you have any idea what Mike and De have been through. The story written above is gutted compards to the WHOLE story. Instead of leaving nasty comments; step up and give ideas or thoughts on how to help them. – otherwise you shouldn’t post anything. Negative comments are not needed when these wonderful people are already down in their luck. I’ve been in the house, I’ve seen the issues and problems wih my own eyes. I really feel for Mike and De. Even the city admitted the house shouldn’t have been sold – what does that tell you?!?! Good luck Tamborninos, you know I’m always here if you ever need anything. People out there; STEP UP and help if you can. I hope they get everything and more because of what they’ve been through.

50. Mike T says:

Wow, Twin Cities Realestate can’t even trouble themselves to comment? Seems rather odd to me. Why wouldn’t they try and defend themselves? The house shouldn’t have been sold to begin with. What else where they hiding on this sale? Also, a previous history of mold and moisture issues? Fantastic smoke and mirrors job they did with the sale of this house. I would love to do my future business with Twin Cities Realestate….honk the sarcasm horn….

51. London says:

Always do a final walk through and as much research about the house and realtor as possible. I hope it works out for them and things get solved.

52. Angel says:

You can do a final walk through and look at the obvious but what is hidden you cant see make any sense to anyone.

53. Be Nice says:

I feel bad for the couple no one wants to have to learn a lesson like this …. Have some compassion and if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything …

54. Lori says:

I see all these comments blaming the Realtor. Did anyone stop to think that the Realtor was also lied to. A Realtor wouldn’t knowingly show a house that wasn’t leagally able to be sold. I think people should be asking why this house was put on the market, passed a FHA appraisal and was allowed to be sold by the city without having first obtained code compliancy. Many more people played a part in this, it doesn’t make sense to pin it on the Realtor.

1. concerned citizen says:

Why would you not blame the realtor. She did not insist on a final walkthrough when they asked. And why did the realtor not know all about the house, thats their job. That’s what they get paid for.

55. off with their heads says:

The city has admitted that this house didn’t obtain a code compliance certificate till months after the house was sold. If the house has all these issues that they need close to 80k to bring it “up to code” how did it even get its certificate of code compliance? The story says the city told them to remove the mold before they could sell the house, that obviously didn’t happen so why would a city inspector sign off on it? This is what scares me…minneapolis had a problem with their inspectors not doing their job properly. Seems like st paul does too. Does anyone else worry about this?

1. Eric says:

I didn’t before, but I’m beginning to, makes me scaed to buy a house

56. Adler says:

Why would anyone voluntarily live in a house with all these problems.

1. Jennifer says:

Mike says it up above in the other comments they have put all the money they have into the house purchasing it and trying to fix it.

57. john says:

I feel for mike and deanne, first time home buyers with a realtor who did not look out for her clients before and after the sale.

58. howard says:

The seller that sold the house would had to have to known about all the violations prior to purchasing the house. And also in selling the house that had to been known. That being said..if you know about the violations then you would also know what was and wasn’t fixed. Its supposed to be disclosed on the purchasing agreement.

59. jeanie says:

I would like to see the inspection reports covering the repairs that the contractor made to fix the code violations that were listed. I would also like to know who from the city passed those inspection reports.

1. RH says:

I second that request, this story makes me nervous about the quality of work being performed by city inspections. If the issues in this house are the types of things being rubber stamped by city housing representatives, what else is being allowed to go unfixed? Are all city inspectors “looking tha other way” on code violations? I wish wcco would do an investigation to see if this is happening alot.

60. CF says:

The so called ‘professionals” are not acting professional or ethically. For the buyer, the purpose of having a realtor, an inspector and the city involved is to make sure everything is compliant to uphold the laws which are in place to protect the buyer. The buyer pays them to do their job and has every right to be assured they will. In this case, it sounds like they just took the buyer’s money.

61. Helpful says:

While Jon Bruntjen is living in the lap of luxery in Wayzata, big house, private school for kids, porche, lexus, other cars, two boats, he is not worried about TCREP because it will be bankrupt soon. TCREP owes millions and is involved in a number of lawsuits already. So dont waste your time shasing TCREP.
    You need to pursue the individual with what criminal charges may be provable. Find the provable violations. TCREP has some 50 to 80 properties out there and there may be others who have similar stories, Find these people.
    Then see if the MN attorney general or Wayzata police have an interest.

1. Jen says:

WCCO should definitley do a follow up story on this!!!! Yeah they totally need to find those families and have them tell there storys and reveal just who Jon Bruntjen is then he will never be able to do this to anyone else!!!!! They need to uncover the truth on TV. Not only is it is a great intrigueing story but it’s for the justice of all the other families that had to go through this too.

62. Brandy says:

I wish you and De the best with this problem, and pray there is no long term effects to either of your health. it is really sad when people gain at anothers expense.

63. maurice a. says:

Realtors and inspectors should do the job they are paid to do. I have been a roomate of mike and dee since day one at this house and you people would not believe the corners the contractor cut. Karma keeps me goin, i have to believe what goes around comes around and irresponsible realtors and contractors will answer for shoddy business ethics. Just another example of the wealthy standing tall and proud on the shoulders of the poor.

64. mary M_T says:

Best of Luck to the Tamborninos- I hope they get the house fixed and back to a livable condition…we have a similar situation, though no severe allergies like the wife has, so we just live with it. We did have an inspection and a final walk-thru and our house still has problems.

65. Pearl says:

I think this is just awful. To jepordize innocent peoples health to make a buck is just wrong my thoughts and prayers go out to Mike and De and i hope they get the house fixed very soon and that all there health problems get better as well .

66. Dez says:

Hang in there you two! Some people cut others down when they haven’t lived in the same particular situation simply because they can’t understand until they’ve been there (even then I’m sure some still can’t empathize). Our world today is too full of me me me me me and that’s all that matters, well some really need to open their eyes, ears and brains. Plus glancing through comments I see some trying to post how they only paid $25K for their home, where in the world did you get this info??? I think some comments on here are made by the seller/realtor people, being paid to sit on their computers at work and debunk anyone who has a negative word to say regarding their company.
    I have known De for close to 15 years, and I’ve known Mike since they have been together, they are wonderful people and have worked hard throughout their lives. Put yourselves in their place, how hard would it be to not be able to live with your spouse because your new home, your first home, makes you sick and your husband stays there working day and night cleaning and fixing and making himself sick just so he can make things good for you to move back with him? In the last year I’ve heard nothing but problems about their house, I’ve heard how sick De has been if she goes in the house, she has cried on my shoulder because this is so devastating to them both, a huge HUGE strain on them financially and a strain on their marriage. They do not deserve this, they are young, full of aspirations and promise just starting out in their life together and yet they have to put up with this garbage!

67. show support says:

They deserve all the help they can get…whether it is by showing support or helping in other ways. They have always been the type of people to help others…now they need help. There is no reason they should have had to go through this!!

68. Kat Tambornino says:

ok hopefully this works and my comment here will post (been having issues and haven’t been able to post for some reason)

Mike is my brother and since the day the got the keys to this house they where dropped like a hot rock by just about everyone that “Helped them” buy this house. All they have ever wanted was a place of there own that they could call home and this place has been far from that dream. from the horror the former owners left them under there stove (that I should add if they had started the oven the whole place would have gone up in flames) to being ignored by just about anyone that had anything to do with this house… including the city of Saint Paul. I don’t understand how or why heads haven’t rolled yet about their situation. THIS HOUSE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ON THE MARKET IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!! Too many people where in this to make a fast buck off people that had no experience in buying a home. Hell makes me glad that I rent still and that I have never gone through a nightmare like this. I hope that the right people stumble across this story and take a deeper look past the mold and they will find nothing but corruption and swindle. I’m prying for you mike <3's

69. Cassie says:

something similar happened to friends of mine who bought a dream house in a great neighborhood Expensive dream home. They moved in with there kids and sometime later everyone was sick ..constant nose bleeds. They had to live with a rotation of friends for months to gut this to studs. As a property manager now i know the dangers of mold.. you need to rip EVERYTHING out ..dry it out.. treat it and start over.. leave a little behind and there will be issues in the future. I hope that WCCO runs more stories on this. YOU should never get occupancy from the city after the house was sold. As a friend to De I know that she had NO idea what she was getting into she would never have taken this all on.. if they get choose to stay.. I hope everyone to moves out temporarily and a party of people gut it. . I know that It is VERY expensive and I know that they can not afford it, but staying in mold exposure is not worth it. Either one of the parties needs to held accountable and pay for these repairs that they failed to disclose/lied about or settle with them so that they can get out from under this house. Pay them back what they have put into it and release them from the mortgage.I know they could just leave it.. so many Americans have just walked out on there homes, but I can respect those that stay and fight verse running away from there problem. In this case I would support them walking away. Realtor/mortgage company/ city ..3 parties ALL KNEW about these problems and looked away it’s just not fair that this couple should suffer so.

70. Ali Logeais says:

I’m confused as to why several people on here feel it is appropriate to blame the victim. Not only is it just plain mean to kick someone while they are down but it means that these people believe two things that seem completely illogical to me. First, It means that I as a consumer must move toward all purchases with paranoia. Why would I want to live that way? Second, it means that those as sellers should be able to lie and cheat and as long as they do not get caught prior to purchase they should not be held liable so they can move forward with no worries. Why would I want to support that? More precisely, why would those on here blaming the victim do that? I’m very interested to know. Don’t you realize that when you fault someone for being trusting you setting up a community of paranoia, cheating, and horrible living conditions. Personally, I would like to send businesses a message that we won’t take these kind of practices by not patronizing them and bringing what they are doing to the public. At the same time, I think bringing attention to businesses that are honest sends a message as well.
    I’m copying this and re-posting it because whoever wrote it did an excellent job!
    Hope everything works out Mike & De!

71. Brennan says:

I feel for Mike and De. They are a typical couple just trying to get a start in their life together. They did as much homework as anyone would do when purchasing their first home, probably even a little more from the sound of it. A complacent inspector, greedy realtor and dishonest seller made them into victims. It’s sad that these situations are so commonplace today. I truly hope everything works out for them.

72. Michael L. says:

After hearing their story, my first thought is about how overwhelming this is. There is too much that is crazy about this to not want to investigate the heck out of this. Having bought a house, I know how difficult it is to try to cover all your bases and to try to do everything right. However, that is exactly why we hire professionals to help us through this process. In this case, it appears that it got messy and instead of helping to clean it up, the people who were supposed to be there to help bailed out as soon as they could. Now, because it is so messy, everyone can sit and point at the next person and avoid blame. However, the whole lot of them are to have their integrity questioned. There are too many things that seem to complicate this transaction, so it is all fishy to me. I find it interesting that there are all these comments…some quite harsh, others quite candid about what their opinion is of this couple and what should have been. Its easy to do, but the truth is that none of us is in their shoes.
    We don’t know all the facts, we don’t know who did what or who said whaat to whom. The fact is: they did their best to cover their bases, they hired people to represent them, other professionals were trusted to do their jobs, and it is now questionable as to whether they did or not. Everyone took their share of the money and ran. Then, as a buyer, when you believe that you are now the owner and the bandaids that were used to cover the wound let go, you do what you can to protect the property and the money that you spent to get it. Like I said, this is pretty complicated and messy right now. I say to investigate the heck out of this. This is not the typical “let the buyer beware story”. There is too much that is questionable about the whole thing. I feel sorry for the couple. It appears that they are trapped. They can’t move forward and they have already lost so much. I truly hope they get the help that they need.

73. Chris says:

I see by the comments that you all have family. Why don’t you live with them for awhile until you can get your house fixed? It doesn’t make sense why you would willingly live in a house that is making you sick and causing health problems. The story is hard since it really only grabs the Taborninos side and not really the realator or seller. I’d be interested to see all sides to this story. The realator said that they knew what they were “getting into?” What does that mean? Are they suggesting that they knew of the problems and mold? Can they prove that?

1. Matt says:

Whose the realtor?

2. Jennifer says:

John Doe posted this earlier… one knows who he is but he must know about these people and the things they have done to others….as you can see he posted there cell phones etc he must have worked with them at some point.

John Doe

and a person named Helpful posted this earlier please read all earlier messeges before you start judging…..

Then see if the MN attorney general or Wayzata police have an interest.

74. Ashliegh says:

Having family who are sympathetic to the situation doesn’t mean they have the room to house extra people and as noticed in the video several pets for a long period of time. Its been stated numerous times they don’t have money to fix anything right now so they created their own temporary solution which was the room they live in. I too would like to see what the description of the house was, is there any way to see the original online listing and disclosures? With what the city said and how adamant some of these responses are it seems like there are too many contradictions with what the seller is saying. It just seems crazy that anyone would willingly put themselves into this situation.

75. Whats the other side says:

I too would like to hear the Sellers side of the story, and the realtors and inspectors. I mean no one is that gullible to knowingly get themselves into a situation like this. WCCO would you do a fallow-up on the other side of this story? Find out if these people are just blowing smoke or if they really got had in buying this house?

1. Jennifer says:

John Doe

Then see if the MN attorney general or Wayzata police have an interest.

1. Chris says:

How do you know that De or Mike didn’t post those comments with their numbers? You think if someone else was going through the same issue with the same people; they would step up and want help as well..

2. Jennifer says:

You do know that WCCO contacted all these parties and they wouldn’t respond if they wanted to defend themselves don’t you think they would of. It’s obvious they are hiding something. De and Mike want more than anything for WCCO to do more investigation and a follow up story.They want them to find the other families involved. I’ve known De and Mike for years and they are the most honest hard working people I know. I’ve been there the entire time they were going through this and saw first hand all the things that happened. Plus the story they showed on WCCO was only a small part of it. Did you know the first day they moved into there new dream home there was a dead road kill smashed squirrel under they’re stove? They found it a few weeks later because it was making the whole house smell terrible. Not to mention cigerette butts on the floor in the house left by the seller and whoever else. It was dirty. It smelled like an ashtray. When they looked through the house in the first place it looked nothing like that. There are many things your missing from this entire story. De and Mike do not have bad motives nor have they ever towards anyone they are pretty positive people and they are honest hard working people anyone that truly knows they’re character would tell you that.

76. Something to ponder says:

The one thing that can’t be disputed is the city has stated the house was sold illegally and the seller says they had the permit. Obviously someone is lying so who do you believe the city or the seller?

1. Jennifer says:

Good point…I would like WCCO to get to the bottom of this?? I just can’t understand how we can just sit back and allow this to happen to what 50-80 families it says in the post. I would like them to investigate this story more too.

1. Agreed says:

Does wcco read their own comment forums? What are the steps to get this story investigated further?

77. Makes Sense says:

The parties in question seem awfully quiet about this, while the tamborinos have a flood of support there doesn’t seem to be many people sticking up for the realtor or twin ities real estate, is this because the people that know them know they screwed up, or because these people aren’t worth defending? Maybe they have no valid defense?

78. Stinks says:

Ok if the house in question didn’t have a certificate of occupancy till AFTER the home was sold, how did it get FHA approval and put on the market in the first place? Something stinks here more then the Mississippi in spring.

1. random observer says:

Great question! Has anyone tried to get in touch with a rep for FHA to ask if its possible to get a loan approved on a house with no certificate of occupancy? Does anyone know if it’s allowed?

79. Ashley says:

I know the couple and heard how the seller interacted with the Tamborninos after the house was sold. I read the seller’s response to the Tamborninos requests and I know there are witnesses to how TCREP used bullying tactics and refused to listen to anything that was told to them, including the roofer they themselves hired to check over the supposed repairs to the roof. When their own roofer told them the roof wasn’t repaired they accused the Tamborninos of bribing him even though multiple roofers confirmed the same thing. When the Tamborinos pointed out that there was no code compliancy the seller accused the Tamborninos of calling the city on themselves, when the mold was pointed out on the basement walls the seller told them it was dirt despite having a Moldex report showing proof it was multiple types of mold. The point of this is that right now I don’t know if anyone else has been a victim of TCREP but they threatened the Tamborninos, who’s to say they haven’t threatened other people to keep quiet. There seems to be multiple parties at fault for this and that means there are multiple parties who will take steps to protect themselves. It can be a daunting task to take on people with more power/influence/money than you, a task most people wouldn’t undertake. I applaud them for not giving up.

80. Jen says:

Hmmm this description doesn’t say anything about mold being in the house!!! Says it’s newly renovated. Interesting.

1. Jen says:

Further proof the sellers were lying.

1. Listen says:

Further proof you are an idiot Jen! Renovated does not mean its in tip top shape. you could renovate a single room and say its “renovated”. That does not mean the entire house. I could put in new counter tops and say its “renovated”. If you were selling a house with mold would you say “there is mold everywhere in this house”. Probably not. What you should do is fix the problem before you sell it. Some people are stupid and just cover it up the best they can. Sometimes more people try to cover it up with them to make a quick buck. don’t believe everything you read or see and do your own research.

81. Jennifer says:

The only point I was making was that the people who sold this house covered it up by not writing that there was any mold in the description…..if it had mold you are supposed to put it somewhere. I was just showing that they made it sound like a gem and it wasn’t. That was what I meant by proof. Jeez! Guess what I’m not an idiot either.

Awesome renovated single family home. Granite countertops, new bathrooms, new appliances, built-ins, crown molding, large bedrooms, great wood floors, new light fixtures, new garage, nice upper lvl sitting room. A must see – not short sale or bank owned.

1. Kat Tambornino says:

if anything what Jennifer posted just validates that they weren’t being totally honest and being up front with what they where really selling and also puts a sock into what the “Mortgage Professional” posted

“You buy a $25k house with 1600 sq ft and expect it to be “move-in ready?” This property was on the market for a rehab team to come in and fix it up– NOT for a first time homebuyer to snatch it up with a tax credit and no money in the bank.”

IDK the advertised statement of what they said about the house doesn’t sound like a HOLE to me???

82. OMG says:

usually when someone says a house is “renovated” it usually means major improvements done. To only up-date one room and say it’s renovated would fall under false advertisement, and usually if that is the case you will see “up-dated/renovated *blank*” (i.e. kitchen, bathroom, basement…) NOT make it sound like major work was done to multiple rooms… durrr.

1. What? says:

That’s not true actually. You can fix one bedroom and the floor and say it’s “renovated.” And from the sound of it, the house was even in worse shape before the construction crew went in and cleaned it up. And according to the listing, there was multiple renovations. They obviously just didn’t say anything about the mold. It’s really easy to point fingers at everyone but it’s hard to say who was to blame for this happening. I don’t believe sueing is the correct way to go about this. Did the buyers ever try and give the house back? usually it states that you have so many days or months to give the house back. Did the sellers ever offer to take the house back? If they did and they said no, the fault is on the buyers.

1. Who? says:

Look at the comment from De above it clearly states they asked to give the house back & get their money back but the offer was denied.

83. J says:

ok, I’m confused. First the story says the real estate agent lied about the roof being fixed but Mike’s comment up above said that “we just assumed everything was fixed on the purchase agreement.” Since you didn’t do your final walk through and knew there were issues, I would say all sides are to blame on this one.

84. Kat says:

Its not the Realtor lied, it was the Seller that said the work was competed when it wasn’t. They actually attempted to get the final walk through but their agent couldn’t be reached for some reason. So after hours of waiting for her to get a hold of them, they just went to finalize the last of the paperwork to get the house. They had issues tiring to get the keys for a few hours and when they finally did, they discovered that the seller had been back in there that afternoon and trashed the house… blew sheetrock dust all over the place, stuck a dead squirrel under the oven… not just behind the oven, UNDER IT, why? And I’m assuming here now, that he was mad that Mike and De were calling him out on stuff that wasn’t getting fixed when they said it was, and he wanted to get one last screw you.

85. K says:

Where are you getting this argument from? Nowhere in the news story does it say the real estate agent lied about the roof being fixed and Mike’s comment is listed below stating they were denied the opportunity for a final walkthrough. There’s a difference between not asking for one and not being allowed one.
    “Mike Tambornino
    We had done a walk through 4 days prior to closing and our realtor told us nothing had changed and that the listing agent was not available to do a final walk through. At that point we just assumed that the seller had fixed the roof and had completed everything on all of the agreements.”

86. Ryan says:

Sounds like every homebuyers nightmare. I guess it shows that you shouldn’t trust anyone. I’m a little surprised the city allowed for the sale and deed transfer if a certicate hadn’t been issued. I’m wondering if the city is nearly as much at fault as the fraudulent sellers.

87. Tashia Nilo says:

I don’t have much to add except for a great big HUG to the couple. You have had a horrible injustice done to you, and I truly hope you get the money you need and deserve.

88. Robert Ahmann says:

I can attest to the FACT that Elizabeth and Jonathan Bruntjen are completely neglectful people not only in housing matters but also in personal family matters. I can say this because I’m related to them…. I see how Elizabeth, the aunt of my 1 year old daughter, Ella E Bowers is doing everything in her power to keep me away from my daughter, even lying to a judge about a BOGUS restraining order. These people are some of the most heartless and mean spirited people I’ve ever come across and yes they’ll get their just reward in HELL!

89. nick says:

So what ever happened, for I’m going through the same thing