Blind Man Hit Crossing The Street, Killed

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — An 83-year-old blind man was killed after being hit by a car in Waite Park, Minn.

According to police, Andrew Virden was crossing at the intersection at 2nd Ave. North and 1st St. North when he was struck around 8 p.m. Friday. He was using his white walking cane at the time of the accident.

Officers and an ambulance arrived, but Virden was pronounced dead at the scene.

The 19-year-old driver of the car was not injured. No criminal charges are expected.

Comments

1. John from Minneapolis says:

No criminal charges????!!!!!
    Why not?

1. Louise stack says:

that is my question also. A was a great guy. Using his cane all the time. My prets are with is family. Louise from Waite Park

2. Liz says:

people should get the facts before making judgments….I know the young man who unfortunately hit & killed Mr. Virden. It was dark, it was snowing, that intersection is not well lit and Mr. Virden was wearing dark clothes and no reflective vest or anything. As tragic is this accident was, it was simply that, an accident. I offer prayers and condolences to Mr. Virden’s family, and wish for healing for the driver. He is 19 and will forever be haunted by the fact that he killed another person. He was not drinking, not speeding and not texting at the time. It is a horrible tragedy, but the awful things being said about the driver are so out of line and so misleading. We never know what will place us in the wrong place in the wrong time. He is a college student, a friend of my son’s and has always come across as a nice, responsible young man.

1. The Soothsayer says:

This young man still killed the pedestrian, there should be devastating consequences leveled on him for his criminal negligence!

2. paul says:

Let me guess. The kids was driving a huge SUV with the music blaring while he was texting his friends.

My sympathies to the family of the man who was killed.

3. prayers with fam says:

Thats SAD!!

4. JKB says:

I for one, find it totally disgusting that some people dont give a rats behind whether this poor disabled man, or any other disabled person is able to cross the streets, or not! By no means dont slow down when anyone is trying to cross that would be too much work, or take too much of your precious time.WE should be thankful we are healthy and able to do for ourselves. The rude comments arent needed! This man has family that are grieving, and dont desserve your negativity. My condolences to this mans family and friends, I am sorry for your loss.

5. LEO says:

NO CHARGES, WHY NOT HE KILLED A ELDERLY MAN, CROSSING THE STREET, BLIND. JUSTICE MUST PREVAIL.

6. Matt says:

No where in the story does it say who is at fault. I am not familar with the intersection. If there is a light, maybe the blind man was crossing during a no walk sign. I assume there isn’t a stop sign or the driver would be stopping. In order for charges to be filled the driver had to have done someting negligent. From the info provided, no one knows. Did anyone ever think that it is dark and maybe it was just an accident. Accidents do happen.

7. bob says:

thats right JUDGE now get facts later

8. sad but true says:

Listen to some of you fools he may have illegaly crossed in the dark , i mean he was blind, yet all you say give him life in prison automaticly, after all you people should know accidents happen, after all you were conceived that way.

9. Pat Miles says:

All you people must have nothing better to do than to comment on stories. GUESS WHAT?? We dont care what you have to say. Get a life!!!! Or maybe worry about your own life.

1. captainobvious says:

Well thk you for coming here and commenting, now try your own advice, just because you hate your miserable life, you don’t need to try to bring us down. I’m sure things will turn around for you, ok prolly not

2. Dave Moore says:

Pat, I ruled the air when you were in diapers, and had better ratings.

10. Buddy says:

pat miles, try some decaf. and a couple of years of anger mgt.!

11. ThatGuy says:

Very distasteful.

12. A shame says:

Why would an 83 year old blind man be out in the dark, crossing an intersection, unattended, wearing dark clothes and no reflective attire? Accidents do happen and the driver doesn’t always have to be the only one to blame. It occurs to me that the victim, sad as it may be, used very poor judgment and was also responsible for his own death.

13. ddc says:

Justice is blind…

14. Melissa A says:

Im sure the kid feels horrible. Nobody wants to intentionally drive into and old blind man and if he did KARMA is truly a B****.

1. melissa a says:

didnt kamra is….

15. Jordan says:

From purely an emotional standpoint, I would rather be the dead guy than the one doing the driving. And no, I would rather not be toast, in case anyone is going to be sarcastic.

For all those who want justice to be served by the courts. Believe me, the kid is having justice served to him right now, and will be experiencing that justice for a looong time.

I witnessed a pretty serious accident (no deaths) about 12 years ago that could also have been avoided, and one could literally see the 900 lb weight sitting on the shoulders of the guy responsible. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

In other words before you spout of a rant about how charges should be brought, think a little.

16. Hope from Littleton says:

I live in CO, and just before Christmas a 21 yr old woman hit three blind people standing at a bus stup. One of them died on route to the hospital. The other two were taken to the hospital and had multiple broken bones. Apparently it is ok to run over and kill blind peope. She was not charged either. I think if you kill somoen, on purpose, or by accident, you should be held accountable. I would think the police would think so as well. but it doesn’t seem that way.