WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-green01, ww color green

Local

Students Evacuated After Small Fire In Boys’ Bathroom

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

SAVAGE, Minn. (WCCO) — Students at Harriet Bishop Elementary School in Savage got a “get out of school free” card Monday and won’t be going to school again Tuesday.

“We had a small fire in the boys’ bathroom and it caused a lot of smoke, no structural damage, but a lot of smoke,” said Ruth Dunn of the Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Susie Jones Reports

She said the students were evacuated safely across the street to the fire department.

The fire started in a trash can, but didn’t burn long according to fifth grader Daniel Koll.

“They brought out, like, fire extinguishers and they put it out,” he said.

Then the school contacted parents by e-mail and an automated phone-call system to let them know school was closed for the rest of the day.

Karla Bevolo found out when she was checking Facebook.

“Got the neighbors kids and my kids,” she said.

Staff was able to stay with students whose parents couldn’t come and get them.

The school says the evacuation went very smoothly and everyone made it out of the smoky situation safely. The worst part was the smell.

“It was, like, toxic,” said a group of girls going home for the day.

The fire department had to lower the temperature in the building to get all the smoke out. The school will remain closed on Tuesday for clean up.

Joan Gilbertson, Producer
Contact Joan

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,826 other followers