Local

1 Dead, 10 Sent To Hospital After Mass Overdose

View Comments
(credit: CBS) Esme Murphy
Esme Murphy, a reporter and Sunday morning anchor for WCCO-TV, h...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

By Esme Murphy, WCCO-TV

BLAINE, Minn. (WCCO) — One person is dead and 10 more are hospitalized, including two in critical condition after a mass overdose, according to police.

Blaine Police responded to a residence on the 9500 block of Monroe Street NE, just after midnight on Thursday for a medical situation involving an alleged overdose of synthetic drugs. Police say the substance ingested was legal.

Authorities say several teens and young adults ingested what is thought to be the designer drug known as “2 C-E,” which is a reported hallucinogenic. There is a controlled hallucinogen called “2 C-B” and chemists reportedly alter it slightly to make it “2 C-E,” which also makes it legal.

“Just because you have an assumption that it’s legal and you can buy it online, in no way is it safe, as witnessed by the events this morning. One person is dead, 10 people are hospitalized,” said Paul Sommer of the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office.

The teens allegedly took the substance at a spring break party at the home of one of the boys, who is now hospitalized.

Authorities say other victims fled the residence and were suffering the effects of the overdose at separate locations.

In total, 11 people were transported to area hospitals. A 19-year-old teenager died.

Officials say the drug was ordered over the Internet and resulted in medical distress after being ingested.

The exact compound of the drug has not been confirmed and investigators say further tests are being performed at the BCA Lab.

The case continues to be under investigation. Police are warning parents to be aware of the dangers of these drugs.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,989 other followers