Protesters At Mpls. Cub Foods Say They Were Assaulted

By Lindsey Seavert, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO)
— Protestors say their peaceful demonstration turned to chaos inside a Minneapolis grocery store Tuesday night, but Cub Foods calls it blatant trespassing on private property.

Protesters affiliated with the Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha, or the CTUL workers rights organization, say they went inside the Cub Foods near 26th and Lake Street last night as part of an ongoing campaign to fight the treatment of grocery store cleaning workers, who they say deserve better wages and working conditions. The group has been protesting this issue for the past year.

On Tuesday night, protesters say they say they started with a skit inside the store about how a store cleaning worker at a Bloomington Cub Foods was recently fired for speaking out about low wages.

A video taken by protesters shows a security guard approach a protestor, grab his arms, and tackle him to the ground. Protestors screamed for the security guard to back off, and the security responded by holding out handcuffs, threatening to arrest all the protestors present.

“All of the sudden the gentlemen turned his back to the security officer, it happened that fast,” said protestor and witness Todd Dahlstrom. “He grabbed him by the neck and drove him into the floor.”

The protestors say they tried to leave, but the store blocked the doors, and the security guard sprayed the crowd with pepper spray.

“The security sprayed me with pepper spray directly in my eye probably less than a foot away, and I went to the hospital to get my eyes flushed,” said protester Kristen Melby.

Cub Foods isn’t directly commenting on this incident because it is currently under investigation, according to spokesperson Mike Siemienas. Siemienas says the store protests are disruptive, and protestors are increasingly aggressive and endangering customers’ safety. He says on March 11, the company issued the CTUL group a formal trespass notice, banning protestors from stores.

“There is another face to this company, workers cleaning in their stories are making poverty wages and aren’t getting any benefits,” said former cleaning worker Mario Colloly.

Colloly says he cleaned a Bloomington Cub Foods for three years, but was let go for trying to organize workers. Cub Foods uses a third party to clean the stores, Carlson Building Maintenance, who says that is false.

Carlson spokesperson Amy Rotenberg says the workers have the right to “lawfully and fairly make public their views about their working conditions,” but in this case, “the termination of the employee was for lawful reasons related to his conduct on the job, and had nothing whatsoever to do with his protected activities or his association with CTUL.”

Carlson also says it pays competitive wages based on the market conditions.

“Our wages range from exceeding minimum wage to $20+ per hour, depending on experience, performance, responsibility and/or training. During these many months of economic downturn, when countless companies in all sorts of industries have laid off many thousands of employees, Carlson Building Maintenance has proudly maintained its workforce and provided its employees with steady full-time hours and stable employment,” said Rotenberg.

Protesters say the investigation should focus on an invisible workforce under attack.

“This an extension of what is going on in this country, workers’ rights are being attacked,” said Dahlstrom.

“The workers food on the shelves and keep our stores clean, they are family members, fathers, mothers and neighbor, and we all live better if everyone is treated well,” said protester Kristen Melby.

Cub Foods states that Minneapolis Police cited some protestors for trespassing. Minneapolis Police records show a store customer alleges the protestor that was tackled hit her on the mouth during the incident. She asked to press charges for assault. Store security told police that the tackled protestor was also trespassing.

On Thursday morning at 11 a.m., protesters will continue to voice their concerns at another demonstration at the Cub Foods Store at 5937 Nicollet Ave South in Minneapolis.

Comments

1. Ed says:

Not the way I see it at all, Looks like the security guy was just doing his job.
    Cause they are so wrong on the trespassing laws they are probably wrong on the other issues too. Keep up the good work Mr. Security Man.

1. james T. Darius says:

lol I agree, They had been warned.

2. Guest says:

I completely agree…the security guard was just doing his job. They shouldn’t have been in the store protesting. Idiots.

1. TC says:

This security guy was far to quick to initiate contact in this situation and could have escalated the problem for himself and Cub Foods! I’m not saying that I agree with the protest! This guy made verbal contact and in less then three minutes was in an altercation with a protester! I know this Cub Foods it is literally across the parking lot from the 3rd Precinct.
        Lets pretend that he easily cuffs the man and begins to remove him there are twenty other protesters that will begin to chat ect ect! The whole purpose of a protest is to bring attention to the cause which the security guy helped ten fold! Now Cub Foods is on thew news in a million homes. Along with the law suit that will be brought against Cub Foods by the protester and the settlement that Cub will likely pay out just to avoid paying thousands in lawyers fees because some lawyer is representing the protester pro-bono! Did I mention that the 3rd Precinct is across the street, really! There are times for force, this was not a situation that was handled well!
        I’m not just saying these things as a spectator I have a long back ground in security training and personal security.

3. Dave says:

Security is a thug. Way to throw down the drama club geek, tough guy.

1. I am a dave hater says:

he was doing his job when the protesters came in and and were acting like fools. I assume you are one of those dbag protesters!

2. pretzeldude says:

Looks like a good arrest to me, Dave. Are you just jealous that you weren’t the security officer so you could be a “thug”.

4. jimmy says:

Security guy proves fat and stupid is no way to go though life. He will be fired within the week. Want to bet he claims workmans comp.

2. touks says:

I happen to know for a FACT that the employee, Mario, was fired because he was CAUGHT SLEEPING ON THE JOB on FOUR SEPERATE, NON BREAK (meaning he was supposed to be WORKING and was NOT on break) occasions. The reality is Mario believed he was above his job duties because he was affiliated with this so called “organization” CTUL. Workers have the RIGHT to organize. Workers DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT to sleep ON THE CLOCK while their CO-WORKERS have to pick up HIS slack.

1. Losers says:

Here at the CTUL we plan to change all that. No way should a person get fired after only four warnings. When the jobs were accepted at this pay rate we soon learned we will get something for nothing and all we need to do is make some noise, We are entitled!

1. djdenny07 says:

That slacker was lucky to get 4 warnings. I have been in positions where he would have been fired with cause and banned from the property on the FIRST incident. That’s right, I said the FIRST. I totally agree with the store and this group CTUL needs to be banned from all employment in the area.

2. hoover says:

Excuse me? Are you serious? No person should get fired after ONLY four warnings? That’s the problem with these “workers” – they have no work ethic? I think four warnings is too many……and for the pay rate? Hmmm…there’s usually a direct correlation between educational level and pay rate – maybe you should take a look at yourself, and stop blaming it on someone/something else.

3. Jen says:

Another group just to cause trouble. My brother and I both worked at Cub through high school and college. It is a decent place to work if you do your job. My opinion, you come into my place of business and harass me and my customers. I will give you a facefull of pepper spray too.

1. Dave says:

The customers weren’t being harassed.

1. I also hate dave says:

The protester acted like fools

2. Jeremy Pettit says:

The police have a report from a customer saying the guy who was tackled hit her in the mouth and is pressing charges.

4. Ralph upset with all the dummies says:

I somewhat am baffled by this part of it all – Cub retains a sub-contactor to do the cleaning. The issue is with the Carlson Bldg Maintainence company directly – and not Cub. I understand the manner to make a point is to go after the Big Dog, or Cub in this case, yet they were warned not to trespass. So score a point for Cub – they have no business doing this inside the store.
    That stated – this security guy is something else too. I am not sure but sense a lawsuit may be coming that way and despite the fact they may have been trespassing he may have gone way to far. Calling the police may have been the answer – not the knee jerk “I’m going to arrest you all” and the takedown.

I suspect despite what the quote was from Carlson above pertaining to wages is mostly bullchit and the bulk of wages are minimum. They may have to dig real deep to find that single $20 an hour employee. lol
    Care to guess at what they charging Cub to provide the service? That’s be a story in itself.😉

1. Ralph upset with all the dummies says:

Funny there MN Sportshell but I am a self employed General Contractor and know full well how to skin a cat and take it from my subs. Difference is I don’t need to.I’m comfortable and don’t feel slave labor needs to be part of todays world is all. You must huh?
      Any chance you part of Carlson Building Maintainence.😉
      LMAO

2. Ralph upset with all the dummies says:

Got ya MNSportshell. Or should I say Carlson Building Maintainence co-owner.
      I was pretty sure it was you but now you flushed yourself out. Shame on you

I am at work – watching on the tuner the flames near the Cub store on Nicollet. Hope you guys not part of the maintenance crews there. That would not be good.
      Have a great day Caesar 😉

3. MNSportsHell says:

Hey Ralph, I’m not even employed so there! Nice try. if you are so gainfully employed, go back to work! You are really a stupid dumb a**!

4. Hannah says:

MN Sportshell…maybe you should get yourself a job!!!!

5. MNSportshell says:

“Hannah” or should I say, “Ralph,” I’m retired. If you have nothing better to do than argue with a retired person on the internet all day, you must be a pretty unemployed general contractor yourself!🙂 Just sick of people like you passing judgement without any facts. This article presents one side of the story, like so many ‘CCO stories always do.

1. libra925 says:

Excuse me, MN Sportshell…”presents one side of the story”? How so? They intereviewed a representative from the protester’s group, they contacted both Cub Foods and Carlson Building Maintenance for their input – what else would you have them do? That, plus the video of the actual ‘take-down’ represents the situation pretty well, I’d say.

Once upon a time, in my younger days, I was a bartender at a bar owned by a former Viking’s player. I worked with security personnal (bouncers) all the time and I know how tough that job is. When I see this video, I see a young man (security) approaching panic. He was out-numbered and surrounded by the time he pulled his pepper spray and the protesters were not leaving…they were getting more beligerant by the moment. What should he have done instead? It’s easy to second-guess someone after the fact, but I think the guys I worked with would have commanded them to leave, informed them they were violating a ‘no tresspass’ order and then called the local precinct for back-up. No one should have to put their life or health in jeopardy over something like this and it was an UGLY situation.

Just one more thing…if Mario had a reasonable complaint or reason to object to his firing, why wasn’t he addressing it with his real employer? If he was a good worker, they could have simply re-assigned him to a different property.

2. Hannah says:

MN Sportshell…you said you were “not employed”….meaning unemployed!! You never said “retired”!

1. Teddy says:

Hannah – Are you dense? When you are retired you are not employed by anyone so “not employed” works in that case…

1. Bizarre folk around the board says:

MN SportshellOfaBrain is on life support at Carlsom Building Maintainence as I type …. fretting the likely loss of the Cub contract in near future.
            That’s ok – he’s retired and this is but a hobby. lol

6. James says:

If the Carlson in the name is part of the Carlson Companies conglomerate, they are a multi-billion dollar company and a “Big Dog” in their own right

1. FlippIn crazy adult kiddie types says:

This group is a bunch of puny dogs and no ties to the Carson or Gage band of crooks.
        They wanna be’s tho …. lol

5. cam says:

I see nothing wrong with their protesting but they were definitely trespassing based on a formal notice and the fact that they were inside the store, No one is going to guarantee a “working” wage that approaches $20 / hr in this economy. Regarding the customer that was apparently hit in the mouth by one of the protesters, sounds like an assault charge should also be filed, . “Protesters say the investigation should focus on an invisible workforce under attack” , no, it should focus on the unlawful trespass and assault, that is the crime here, .

6. Keith H says:

SORRY Folks – I don’t by all of the protestors claims, check this out;

A) Anyolne can protest……OUTSIDE!
    B) This is blaitnet Disorderly Conduct in that it is obviously “Disturbing the normal operations of the business” and it’s customers and or employees, and the Security Officer has every right to to make an arrest right there and on the spot.
    C) As far as tresspoassing, the Officer purly told them to leave FIRST. If there is an actual written, served, and filed Trespass Order – he doesnt even have to ask,.
    D) Look at teh video again, the news story above the video claims the protestor was “Instnatly grabbed by the neck and thrown to the ground”. Thats not what I see. I see a uniformed Security Officer telling them to leave,a nd them REFUSING. AND, I see him physically grab the protestor and attempt to put the protestors hand behind his back – in textbook perfect fashion, a pre handcuffing move to get the protestor in position. I ALSO SEE the protestor attempt to pull away fromt he Officer, at which point I see him (As allowed by law) Step up his effforts to get teh protestor under control in order to inact an arrest.

Take a good look – an objective look. There are two sides to every story, and a right and wrong way to protest. If they want to do a skit, let them start their own public access t.v. show, not SHOUT and YELLL in a Grocery Store.

1. Waldo oh Waldo says:

I am pretty sure a security cop cannot use force unless he is physically threatened. That wasn’t the case.
      Call 911 pal – issue resolved. That requires a cool head and brain so guess that explains why it played out as it did.

1. Waldo Faldo says:

You are “pretty sure” huh!?! You hear that everyone, some kid named Waldo is “pretty sure” the security guard used execesive force. Guess they better go arrest him now. Wow…your legal mind is amazing and i can only hope you go one to teach at Harvad Law. And your at your fist lecture…make sure you tell the students all the laws you are “pretty sure” about. What a JOKE!!!

2. Waldo oh Waldo knows better that dummy Faldo says:

Pretty sure as in positive and yes, an attorney in the family stated that. Sorry chump – you lose again.

3. Waldo Faldo says:

Yes Waldo…because “pretty sure” and “positive” mean the same thing. Wow…you are a Rhode’s scholar ontop of being a genius legal mind. Mr. “a lawyer in the family told me its so” LOL. Big things in your future kid…big things..LMAO.

7. C K says:

Looking at the video, it’s clear that the use of force was far beyond inappropriate. The protester posed no threat, and the actions of the security officer were well beyond what would be considered necessary. If that level of force were necessary to deal with one protester, then he had no business taking him on with other equally “dangerous” protesters around. If the store manager or another store employee were to behave this way they would be in jail right now. If the protesters were that dangerous, that security guard would be in the hospital right now.

The security guard grossly miss-evalutated the situation. If you want to deal with protesters, there are ways to do it that are more effective and don’t make headlines. Now everyone is paying attention to the issue that the protesters are concerned about, darn it.

1. Earl says:

What happened before the video was shot? Were the protesters verbally abusive and threatening to people. You do not know. Only those there do know.

2. BN says:

Absolutely right. The protesters posed no threat to the customers or anyone else. They were performing a skit and singing a song. Absolutely no excuse for the brutal attack by the security guard. Cub Foods needs to take responsibility for violently attacking people who question the working conditions in their store. They need to start paying a living wage to all their workers, including the contracted cleaners so protests aren’t necessary.

1. KM says:

First, “a living wage” is very different from an entry level position wage. Entry level positions were never meant to provide for whole families. They were meant for young people who were just starting out in the work world, being stepping stones to higher level/paying jobs.

Second, I would guess that the contracted with Carlson company decides what to pay their employees, not Cub. They are not employees of Cub itself. Also, when they took the position w/Carlson, they knew what their wage was and if they did not like it, they should not have taken the job.

Lastly, MN is an “at-will” employer state, and unless they have a contract or discriminate under what is stated in law, they can fire a person for ANY reason. Right or wrong, they can fire you if they do not like the color of your hair!

8. tom h says:

lmfao. see kids stay in school or you’ll be cleaning sh**ters for minimum ages.

9. Jeff says:

This security Guy was clearly doing his job. I Support the under paid but protesters need to take a look at the laws before they go disrupting the community. Why cub? They have to clean other places. The real crime is cubs growing prices. That’s what the protest should have been about.

10. Concerned Union Guy says:

As a proud trade unoin member, I am appalled by the audacity shown by CTUL in this demonstration. A peaceful demonstation should take place on public property, not inside a PRIVATE store. If Carlson Building Maintenance was the one who “wrongfully” fired Mr. Colloly, their office should be the location of the protests, not a Cub Foods store. Supervalu contracts the maintenance companies based on lowest bid and nothing else.
    Supervalu has always been good to unions. They are not Wal-Mart. I worked for Cub for almost two years as a teenager and felt I was paid a fair wage and was represented well by my union while working there. If CTUL has an issue with the contractors that Supervalu is inviting to bid, they need to bring it to corporate, not the middle of a grocery store.
    The AFL-Cio is not taking action on this, just CTUL. It seems to me that they are looking for a way to bring attention to themselves. I wish they would realize that negaitve press is the last thing unions need right now. Enough people already have mixed feelings about unions. Let’s keep up the good fight, but keep it in the ring.

1. Even More Concerned Union Guy says:

The janitors that clean Cub Foods make minimum wage and have no benefits. While Cub may be good to their employees, they also have a responsibility to ensure that all workers in their stores are treated well.

As a concerned union member, you should be supporting all workers who are organizing to improve their jobs – not joining the bosses side and attacking those workers. CTUL has repeatedly tried to meet with Cub, and Cub has refused to engage with them on these issues. When you are repeatedly ignored, the only way to respond is to speak louder.

And by the way – lots of unions are supporting CTUL and have passed resolutions stating so.

1. Winston says:

I worked management for Cub foods and the Union Contracts are the main reason it is hard to hold on to good employees! We only had so many slots for higher pay! The Unions are not helping in most situations!

2. Lehman says:

Winston-I hope our next contract local 653 union is better. No wage increase, take a week vaction from us & cut our pension in half. Our union need to make it easier for us to vote on our next contract, one day to vote and its on a sunday.

3. DUH says:

Even More Concerned Union Guy
        I guess it needs to be said again because a lot of you seem to have a very short term memory or are just idiots. THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT EMPLOYEES OF CUB!!!! IT IS ALSO ILLEGAL TO PROTEST INSIDE OF THE STORE ESPECIALY WHEN YOU ALREADY HAVE HAD A TRESPASS NOTICE!!!! I am beginning to believe that people do not read the stories, seems that you are just reading the posts from others and making your mind up there.

Also it is not the company’s job to make sure that all of your bills are being met. If these people are not getting paid what they think they are worth it would be time to get another job (I understand how hard that is right now, but 1s again not the company’s fault). You keep stating that they should “be taken care of”. What are they, made men in the mafia?? All the company “needs to do” is pay them what they stated they would for the hours they work PERIOD (and 1s again because you probably forgot by now, they do not work for Cub). People need to stop crying about things they know nothing about because all you are doing is spreading ignorance and stupidity. When did America turn into a bunch of crying 9 year olds with skinned knees as it seems that complaining about things that have nothing to do with them, and never will have anything to do with them became a national past time?

2. ckh0d0a says:

a non-union guy –> I like the advice, good perspective from
      “Concerned Union Guy.” I would support that approach, I do not support the incident at CUB. It’s all about playing on a level field, not creating a news story. Unions do have an important place in modern society.

11. Short Term Memory Loss says:

Don’t these people have jobs, or something better to do. You’d think with all things currently going on that the good folks at ‘CCO could find something better to do with their time? 10K + dead in Japan and they are worried about what Cub does with someone who was disrupting others shopping at their store? They have a right to protest peacefully outside store property. What they don’t seem to get is that they don’t have the right to violate the rights of others to shop peacefully inside the store. If they don’t like Cub, fine, don’t shop there. Others have the right to shop there if they wish, regardless of what some nutjob fringe group thinks.
    I also don’t see a lawsuit here. They were trespassing on private property. Nuff Said.

12. Sam I am says:

And of course CCO has to have the headlines misleading.

13. J.D. says:

Let me start by saying I have no clue about the “Mario” issue and care only that the security guards actions reflect badly on all security guards.

I have worked in Security for many years in Minneapolis, I can tell you that, legally, Security guard was wrong. They should charge him with aggravated assault. He had no right to put his hands on that guy. Use of physical force must be in self defense or defense of patrons. The guy who was attacked by the security guard was not a threat to anyone and had not raised a hand against anyone. In this instance the proper tactic would have been to back off and call the police. Then after stating to the people that they were trespassing, the police have the right to remove them from the premises for disturbing the peace.

1. J.D. definitly not a JD says:

Unless you are ABA certified Lawyer…nobody cares what some lifer- security guard has to say about the legality of this situation. I understand it is your opinion, but maybe try to represent it as that. As far as the legality of the security guards actions, you are so ignorant to the law it isnt funny….stick to patroling parking lots and leave the issue of “legality” to the lawyers!!

1. TC says:

If your going to make a statement on someones ignorance then at least say why! You throw an insult to this guy and say nothing about why he is wrong? Next you can be the guy that corrects spelling here!

2. TC says:

Correct! You can verbally Trespass a person or persons and they are then breaking the law! They also are not allowed to form protest inside yet untill they are trespassed they have not broke the law! They are disturbing other customers and talking or yelling but untill warned legally they have done no crime!

3. James says:

Considering there is a police report from a patron that she was assaulted, there is room for action in defense of patrons.

14. keith says:

Great for Cub to stand up for irrational idiots. Follow the stores policy of no protests on their property. You are trespassing and not leaving when told to do so. Cub Contracts the cleaning services and has the right to let someone go for any reason. It is very possible the janitor was not following Cubs procedures or doing a sub-standard job.

15. Bob says:

Go to a store to cause problems what do you expect to happen? Security was doing their JOB! It is about time someone does. You go into a private business and cause trouble what did they really expect to happen WHY do you think they brought the camera. So sick of idoits like this

16. TCB55016 says:

Ya gots to stay on public properlty people – you can’t protest INSIDE a privately owned business – that’s like entering someone’s home uninvited and protesting inside there

17. Lehman says:

Why don’t they protest at Carlson Co., they are one that fired him, not Cub Foods.

18. TW says:

Sorry bro, they pulled you in like a fish on that one. Now they have something to squeeze. When you laid hands on and tried to play the commando you lost situational control. Call the local LEO’s and let them do the trespass drill. The protestors were disturbing the peace and if they were asked to leave already then trespassing. Watch the lawsuit that this will go to. Luigi or Mario will have pain and PTSD issues that need ‘treatment’. It might lead to a disability that keeps him from working. Dang, should of kept your calm and followed the program.

1. no buns hurt I hope says:

Yep — as dumb as they acted the idiot who thugged him was just as dumb and if there’s an injury …. looky out.
      Another case of likely a lower paid sub contractor doing a job that maybe a few more dollars may have provided a slightly higher type/class of person doing the job.
      just thinking aloud here now is all …………………………..

2. ELM says:

Yep, Luigi and Mario just did more damage to the cause that good.
      This is the way Unions operate? Go into a store, set up an underpaid security guard and put his job on the line. Great job CTUL, got yourself some attention now don’t ya.

19. shirley says:

Most business’s sub contract out the cleaning part of their business, They should be protesting who they are contracted with, and out side the premises. Get your self educated on these things before you plunge into any kind of demonstration.There’s to many protesting and not trying to sit down and negotiate, if they haven’t taken that away from you yet.

20. Bill says:

“Protesters affiliated with the Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha…….” Next time these trespassers show up CUB should call in the ICE to sort them out (1-866-DHS-2ICE)

1. malchata says:

These aren’t terrorists, Bill. Local law enforcement would do just fine.

1. Ted says:

Who said anything about terrorists? ICE would just check their papers to make sure they belong here in the first place

21. Ugly Bill says:

chit no Bill – then that bag of groceries you have in yer hand would cost you $2 more due to higher wages and as yer stuffing yer fat ugly yapper you’d be spitting stuff out as you complained about that too

22. joey33 says:

this stinks of racketerring .. On The Waterfront Tackets…!
    I don’t like to see this.. the time of organizing unions is over..
    third world tackets…! this has to stop…!

23. Naomi says:

Some years back, my friend Harry saw a security guard at this Cub FIRE HIS GUN at a fleeing shoplifter. Now, I realize that shoplifters are breaking the law, but when you ACTUALLY OPEN FIRE IN A PARKING LOT you put everyone present — not just the lawbreakers — in danger.

Harry contacted the police and made a report about what happened. I contacted Sandy Colvin Roy. Nothing ever came of it, from what we heard. But this is one of the many reasons that I shop at the Rainbow (which has security guards, but doesn’t feel the need to have them carry firearms).

1. Jennifer says:

That wasn’t a security guard. They are not allowed to have weapons other than a billy club. That had to be an off duty police officer or someone like that. Again, learn the facts before talking. You just fuel the anger that is building.

24. malchata says:

All I see in this video is an over-the-hill out-of-shape little man going on a power trip. Someone please show me what warranted that kind of reaction. That security guard probably works the Cub foods because he couldn’t hack it in the police academy.

25. C.S. says:

Let me clear this up for you. I have worked in the Security Field for over twenty years. The public is often confused & wrong when it comes to what a Security Officer can & can’t do. In the State of Minnesota, after being verbally warned a Security Officer can physically remove you from the property, and or arrest you for Trespassing. Reasonable force can be used in order to do this. Some Security companies have a hands off policy – and this is where people get confused. There are many companies with different policies. I have arrested people who believed that they had the right to do whatever, but were simply breaking the law.

1. great way to get sued says:

Yep – but jumping you as you turn away is assualt.
      BINGO – we have a loser. lol

26. Dave says:

Inside? Trespassing! Apparently we need to aggressively ramp up the control of these illegal invaders. Book ’em, Dano.

27. Mel says:

Did no one read the part in the report that one of the protesters hit a customer in the mouth? Doesn’t seem like a peaceful gathering to me. If you know you are breaking the law, tresspassing, don’t complain if you are humiliated in the process. That’s like a burglar suing the homeowner because he got injured while trying to steal the homeowner’s property.

1. Mel missed the fact that says:

Hell – we got US Army chaps who have slaughtered innocent citizens in past. Don’t mean you get to incarerate all for actions of the one. Hello ………

28. justice fleeting says:

Why don’t these protesters open up their own grocery store and pay what ever wages they want. Damn anarchists if you ask ;me.

29. Wonderin says:

The protest today was to be at the Cub that had an explosion, they’re saying gas leak…could it be sabotage?

1. Flaming CTULs says:

I think the FBI should be checking out the CTUL, look what they did for some attention last night.
      They have proven they are willing to break the laws, and now a massive fire at their next planned crime scene. Pretty nice to have ALL the news crews on hand for tonites “protest”.

30. Jumping Jack says:

This is what happend when you allow people to drink Lime juice while they are on the toilet.

31. zac says:

What that tape didn’t show is right after that 5 of the protesters attacked the security guard sending him to HCMC.

32. kevin says:

invisible work force? Is that another way of saying illeagle alien? This would be a good time to do a green card ckeck.

33. John Sherman says:

if they are unhappy with the job they have choice,the best one go back to where they came from soon

34. Johnny Blackhand says:

While the protesters may have been bending the truth, the security company seems to be another batch of ogres that wish they were in law enforcement.

Here’s another sample of the ‘integrity’ of the Twin City Lawmen Security company:

Illegal aliens vs. a goon squad…. that might make for interesting (un)reality television.

*Remember kids, spellcheck works wonders for the grammatically inept.*

35. Tom Emmer says:

Mario should just go back to Mexico & see if the wages and working conditions are any better there. The Security Guard should start bustin some heads.

36. tom says:

the security guard was out of line. he looked scared and probably regrets throwing a guy to the floor rather than using words to get them to leave the store. nobody was in physical danger til the guard used abusive force

37. Big Johb says:

Only the media would play this story as a hired security guard attacking a protester lets all get a group together and start running amok in the wcco newsroom when they were on the air.

38. Jill Walek says:

I’ve been to this store numerous times, never had a problem with anyone. I think the whole story is not being heard. I do agree with the fact that Cub Foods employees should get paid more. I have know 2 people that worked at Cub Foods, and they hated it, not to mention they got paid crap wages. I don’t think pepper spray should have been used, that is ridiculous! Innocent people got hurt, that should not have happened.

39. Jennifer says:

I love how people bash the security guard. They are technically in a possible mob scene. They are told how to handle situations like this. Untrained people, that were not even there, give opinions bashing the security guard. The protestors were tresspassing and should follow off site legal procedures, with their own employer, if they feel their pay is too low. I wish I made as much as they do in my job. I am an accountant and am part of the working poor. I have two jobs and am struggling. If they make $12-$20 an hour, that if competitive. People that clean houses on average make $10-$15 per hour.

40. Robert H says:

Where are the government union “Workers Rights” protesters? Oh ya, this is not about them and their greed..forget it…

41. sick of stupid people wrecking everything.... says:

Keep it classy CTUL!!!🙂 …………………GOONS!

42. RPinMN says:

Obviously a poorly-thought-out decision n the part of the security guard. He should join a gym (or something) to work out his frustrations. If you’re going to be in security, you should calm the situation and disperse it, not escalate it.

43. Funeraldirectorinmn says:

I will not shop at Cub Foods anymore, they have no right to restrain anyone. If they feel the need to remove people call the police, that is there job. I would sue Cub and what ever security gaurd that touched me. We as people have rights, these corporations get away with murder.

1. Me says:

Suing is not the answer!

2. s says:

they were breaking the law and that security guard had every right under the law to restrain disorderly people provided the proper authorities were called. he did nothing wrong and nothing illegal.

44. Speak English says:

Good for the Security Guard! I would have assisted him in kicking these dirt bags arses…its private property….and i would have felt threatened by them…and really should the janitor that got fired LEARN TO SPEAK ENGLISH!!! I will now only shot at Cub……..the freaking cleaning crew is a third party! Why arent they protesting the company who they work for??? Freaking morons….

45. Zoe Moien says:

All of you people whining about protesters are un-American. This country was built on protests. And all of you un -American idiots also apparently think that violence is the answer to everything. Let me clue you in – while you working class idiots are getting your panties in a bunch over people who make even less than you do, corporations and fat cat CEOs are making out like bandits. They are purposely pitting working class against working class and poverty class so they can steal all the money in this country. And you’re all stupid enough to go along with it.

1. Bill says:

The only “un-Americans” in this story are the united toilet cleaners of the “Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha”

2. MARRIED TO A 80+ HR/WK BUSINESS OWNER. says:

Let me have a guess at something about you, Zoe. You never had to run a legit business that actually employs people (more than 1 person). Certainly never had to see exactly what goes on in “fat cat” corps from the bottom up and surely NEVER paid the amount of taxes these companies do. You show your ignorance because you think CEO’s of large companies make out like bandits. Ever heard of taxes? Rent? Electricity? Heat/air conditioning? INSURANCE COSTS -health insurance, workers comp, protection insurance, fire insurance, computer loss insurance, employee theft/damage insurance and all the other kinds you need to protect your company??? LABOR costs? FICA? SUTA? FUTA? Office supplies? Audits? Lawyers? Computer equipment? Not to mention that most “millionaires” made it them selves by working more hours in one week than you probably do in a month. Oh, and they’ve probably mortgaged everything they have in order to grow that business to something that makes a profit. Those things and a hell of a lot of other things cost a LOT of money and whittle 25 million down amazingly fast. Idiot.

46. Me says:

Everyone looking for their 30 seconds of fame. Honestly, don’t ya all have better things to do than protest at grocery stores. These days jobs are hard to come by and those who have a job shouldn’t complain!

47. sodapopp says:

Should have turned the fire hoses on them…take em back to taco land

48. B.C. says:

The next time they come in to my Cub I’m checking their green cards. It’s kind of funny they show up we call the police, the police show up, they run! Way to make a statement!

1. B.C. says:

oh yeah and by the way Mario was caught sleeping on the job 3 different times.

49. s says:

he did a great job! he used to work at my store as security and he is always right there when there is an issue.

50. How About Them Apples says:

I’m not sure about Minnesota, but in some states security guards are only allowed to observe, and report. If they want someone arrested they have to call the police.
    If they ask you to leave the store you must comply or you are trespassing.

51. Kevin says:

Numer one requirement to be hired….YOU FREAKIN SPEAK ENGLISH…come jto my country…..take felllow Americans jobs…..wreck the welfare state……and you dont have the courtesy to speak English……the greatest generation is rolling over in their grave….God save this Country…..

1. herculestrockefeller says:

In English, it is customary to write in sentences, not in half-thoughts seperated by a bunch of dots.

52. Ted says:

You would not know it from reading comments but the protesters are trained in non-violence. The protestor who was tackled from behind did not assault anyone. This pro-union protest has been going on a long time. I am sure the person who said they were hit in the mouth was planted there by the corporation. All of the videos of the events taken that day clearly show a non-violent theater to get people’s attention about an issue no one except the exploited workers are paying attention to. No on was assaulted. That is a recorded fact. Did you see an assault in the video. Did the person arrested assault in any way the security guard? No. This was text book non-violent theater in the tradition of past civill rights demonstrations. Of course the protestors should sue. Tresspassing? Baloney. This is a grocery store.

53. Gringo says:

Maybe they can get better wages and take naps back in Mexico while working.

54. herculestrockefeller says:

Securities guards have no authority to arrest anyone. You need to be an agent of law (cop, detective, secret service, etc.) to do that, not a rent-a-cop.

55. small fish says:

DId anyone know there was a Tsunami in Japan? Nuclear Meltdown now on the verge of happening. Just thought I would break through this intense debate and give you something to lighten the mood.