Rosemount Decides To Stop Capturing Stray Cats

ROSEMOUNT (WCCO) — The City of Rosemount decided to stop capturing stray cats because of high costs.

The controversial decision means it will no longer be against the law for felines to roam free.

Rosemount Police Chief Gary Kalstabakken says the city wasn’t getting voluntary compliance from cat owners, and many cats were going unregistered.

“Using the Humane Society estimates, we have probably 5,000 or more cats in the city, and only about 22 per year are being licensed,” said Kalstabakken.

To register a spayed or neutered pet it cost $6 a year and $12 a year for an untouched pet.

Kalstabakken said one of the main purposes for licensing a cat is so it can be returned to its owner. He says 90 percent of stray cats turned into police are not claimed, while 90 percent of dogs get picked up.

After police checked their January 2010 to January 2011 invoices they found the city had paid about $13,600 to shelter or euthanize 66 cats that didn’t get picked up.

“It certainly is a budget concern. Is it a service that the city should be providing? That was part of the discussion when the 2011 budget was put together by the council,” said Kalstabakken.

He says now when someone calls about a stray cat they’ll be referred to a local animal shelters or pet rescue organizations for help.

“They’re shifting the responsibility to someone else,” said Rosemount veterinarian Dr. Kurt Hansen. “Not having a cat ordinance means cats are going to be roaming around and multiplying. They’ll cause problems in the future.”

Hansen runs the Shamrock Animal Hospital in Rosemount. He says one of the problems stray cats carry is rabies.

“The Minnesota Department of Health has seen three rabies cases in the last six months,” Hansen said. “By not picking stray cats up they will spread diseases and introduce diseases to household cats.”

Now only two out of 11 cities in Dakota County will shelter stray cats.

According to city officials, it costs the city about $1,000 a month to impound cats. Furthermore, Mayor Bill Droste says the city pays about $212 a day for unclaimed pets.

The Animal Humane Society says the new change in Rosemount is a problem. They say last year they took in about 20,000 cats — about 70 cats a day.

1. Y. says:

People need to be responsible for their pets and get them fixed instead of just throwing them away on the street to reproduce and create more unwanted animals. What a shame.

1. eze says:

Why do people let cats go off their property? Mine isn’t even allowed outside the house. I you love, or even like your cat, then why would you let it roam freely where it can be attacked, run over, etc? I live near a large fox and coyote population and always see signs posted in my neighborhood for missing cats. Sorry to say, you cat has already been found…and is now part of the food chain.

2. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

People that don’t fix their pets are degenerates that might want to look into Eugenics as a solution for their family. —

1. denise says:

How do you know that ALL of the cats picked up are not fixed? You don’t and the article doesn’t say, it just says stray cats reproduce. So do stray kids. I say they keep the stray cats program and start picking up stray kids left roaming the streets without parental supervision. Thats would save millions in property damages.

1. denise says:

and reproductive costs and maybe a lot less birth control abortions.

3. Dunnyveg says:

“People need to be responsible for their pets and get them fixed instead of just throwing them away on the street to reproduce and create more unwanted animals.”

And if they don’t?

1. Mike Jones says:

I hear Wal-Mart is having a sale on .22 ammo.

…for the cats, to clarify.

1. twizzler smith says:

So many cats–so few recipes…

2. Jdub5150 says:

212 bucks a day what are they feeding them i live off of 5 bucks a day give me sume of what there having

1. Lexatalionis says:

Its called overhead/housing and paying somebodies wage to run the facility Jdub5150. Was your comment serious??

1. Darren says:

If they are getting in 70 cats a day at 212.00 a day that is $14840.00 a day if my math is correct. Or it costs about $30.00 per cat per day. So that means the rest of the $212.00 is going to cover wages,utilities,etc. Not bad if you were to ask me.

1. denise says:

Right, they can’t charge for the wages and benefits of the care taker for each animal, just the daily wage. They also have adoption fees that they collect if an animal is adopted, shots fees, etc… And most of the food is donated by producers, and area businesses. Once the cats or dogs are adopted they are fixed before they go out of the door. They have been doing that for years.

2. Oberon123 says:

It’s $212 for ALL of the cats. Not for an individual cat.

1. steve says:

If it cost ten cents it’s too much.

3. Dorothy Kuns says:

I think that’s 212 for the batch, not for an individual cat.

3. bubba136 says:

So many cats, so few recipes.

1. Mgiles says:

BWA HA HA HA HA!!! Thanks for the laugh! That was great!

1. Mannie says:

They work in nearly any chicken recipe!

2. Xauling says:

They have nice recipe for Beer Roasted Cat using a George Foreman Cooker.

1. SilverState says:

Do you stick the beer can up the cat’s butt like you do with a chicken?

The article should be subtitled, Season open on Cats, 10 daily, 20 in possession.

4. Disinterested says:

Who said it is controversial other than this report? Are the residents of Rosemount creating an up roar? Why is this an issue that cities should deal with anyway? Let cat and all pet owners take responsibility.

1. John says:

Because it’s a function of government to do, at the very least, animal control. Let the owners take responsibility for cats and dogs? Many citizens don’t even take responsibility for their own children in our overprotected society let alone their pets.

1. Robert says:

It is absolutely NOT a function of “government” to perform “animal control”. Where do you get your ideas? I assure you, people will take care of things themselves, in an overall smarter manner, if the government just butts out of it. The purpose of a government agency is to continue and “manage” a problem, NOT to solve it, as solving it would put the agency out of business.

1. sax says:

If government doesn’t take care of animal control, then you will be quickly overrun by feral cats. These cats cause property damage, kill birds, and transmit diseases like rabies and distemper. That is a threat to the citizens. You can poison rats and mice. You can use kill traps on vermin. Try doing that to get rid of feral cats, and you end up in jail for animal cruelty.

5. Terri says:

hey i got an idea, capture them, let the vet students use them as practice in spaying or neutering them, give them some time to heal then rerelease them in the neighborhood, it would keep them from reproducing any more cats. eventually the cats will stop making more baby kitties for them to have to capture and feed and take care of.

1. Edgar says:

Terri, that is a pregnant idea!

2. Posht says:

They already donate their services to shelters. It would be cheaper to kill them than to perform surgery, even if the labor is free.

6. joe says:

Just shoot the things. It is humane, cheap, and reasonable way to deal with the problem. To me shooting them is more humane than keeping them in a No Kill Shelter. I have been to these shelters and I think there is nothing humane about keeping an animal at a shelter past a week.

1. joe says:

And to who ever wrote this article, if you are going to say something is a “controversial decision” explain why. Otherwise this is just another example of poor journalism.

1. Rhashiz says:

It’s controversial because some people want stray cats off the street and others prefer to save that money. Hope that clears it up!!!

2. Annoyed with ignorance says:

Joe how the hell do you know you big loser? What you walked into a no kill for 5 minutes and made your brilliant snap decision???? I volunteered for 4 years at one and they did the community a great service. I sure hope you never have a pet, because I would feel very sorry for it.

3. Crazy_Redneck says:

LOL! I love it when folks make idle threats from behind their keyboards……….

Just treat them as a nuisance like we do feral hogs in Texas or they do next door with the nutria in parts of our neighboring Louisiana. Some sheriff’s departments in LA drive around at night in the backs of pickups and pick off nutria as they go.

Like nutria and feral hogs, feral cats have no redeeming social value. At least the hogs are quite tasty. My dad and mother, before she passed away, had 20 cats at one point. I never understood it. It’s not like they’re dogs.

While we are humane and love animals, a problem is a problem and us rednecks know how to solve problems. Lefties have a tendency to place everything above the value of human life. Kinda makes me sad to wonder how much they really hate themselves. Nah, not really…..

1. Put on some lotion there crazy...your necks burning up says:

The Hatfields and the McCoys….this is good stuff. I love it.

“while we are humans and love animals” …. quite the hogwash coming from your mouth there son if you feel killing is the solution. Kill someones pet in error and I’d think many would wait in line to lynch you.
        I never met a redneck I liked anyway when it gets down to it so I guess I’d be a hunting you there Crazy one.
        Hope you got some backup as the possee is a coming. lol

1. Mannie says:

If the cat is running loose outside, then it is vermin and is fair game.

Cat lovers need to get a grip. They are vermin.

2. Mannie says:

Tough guy. Tough on the internet.

Cat lovers are soooo easy to mess with.

Get therapy.

1. Respectful of Feline says:

I will get therapy…with my cat, loving loyal and sweet. He has been there for me thru the hard times. What makes people so cruel.

3. Bubba says:

“How big a boy are ya anyway…….”

2. James says:

Hey boy, I’m from Texas and I’m as far to the right as one can get without leaving the sane side of the world. Hunting and fishing is in my blood. You crazy rednecks wouldn’t know a good idea if you had one. Catch and release a cat after you spay or neuter and vaccinate. They keep the vermin down and you would know this if you have ever passed by a feed store. We keep cats at our place for this very reason. BTW: If the crazy Europeans would not have killed off so many cats during the middle ages, they would not have nearly been wiped out by the Black Plague. If you could read, you know this.

My 2¢

7. Lisa says:

Marred to the truth……you are cruel and inhumane. Should we skin you and make a hat out of you for eating a chicken? These are cats…one of the smartest animals. And a lot of people would say smarter than dogs. Would we be talking about dogs this way/ As considering them throwaway animals and having a just shoot them attitude, shows a sick mentality and disrespect to the animal kingdom. It’s not their fault . It’s a human problem. I have two cats and they are the smartest, sweetest creatures. When cats are in the wild they need to eat and hunt to stay alive, just as humans would do. Think smart not cruel.

1. John says:

Do you want 20 of them roaming your property every day & night? That’ the end game of your logic.

1. Sean says:

She probably does. I’m getting a “crazy cat lady” vibe from Lisa.

2. JasonX says:

Cats are smart? They can’t even be trained. They use the litter box instinctively, and will come when they know you have food. Beyond that..nothing. I’ve seen trained rats that are smarter than cats, and nobody has a problem killing them.

And as a matter of fact, we DO kill stray dogs. Maybe you should donate some time at your local shelter…just don’t get too attached to the animals.

3. steve says:

Nothing cruel about a .22 bullet. Try to remember we are talking about cats. If they are not owned by someone they are nothing but a public nuisance.

8. Human Bean says:

maybe the reporter thought the controversy is coming with 7o cats a day NOT being caught……

9. GS says:

Why don’t they spay or neuter and set them free? That way the rat population is kept down and the cat population will begin to shrink.

1. steve says:

If you pay for it I,m all for it. Otherwise a .22 bullet costs two cents.

10. Boomer says:

Open a Cat season, charge for a license–end of problem..

11. Justin says:

.223 ammo goes for about 30 cents apiece…just saying…

1. runty Justin says:

chit boy – you so runty I’ll use a .22 on your hide. end of talkin’

12. Mark Williams says:

$212.00 per day to house a stray cat. According to the Feds it costs an average of $62.01 per day to house a violent felon.

1. Mark Williams says:

Murrow would be proud of the hair that mindlessly read the city’s press release. That’s some fine reportin’ Lou.!

13. cville says:

Charlottesville, VA does the same thing. Residents of my condo complex have called the SPCA and Humane Society multiple times asking for stray cats to be removed from the property. They refuse to provide assistance and say that they now treat stray cats “like squirrels.” As if they were naturally wild animals……RIDICULOUS

1. steve says:

that’s the same response I got to which I replied, “I can kill squirrels on my property!”

Not saying what I did with the cats….

14. beegee17 says:

Sounds like the citizens need to purchase some air rifles. Just start shooting them on site. Imagine all the rabbits, song birds, etc… killed by these cats.

15. Tom says:

So……….. if its all about the overhead, who will have their hours reduced or be laid off, and what facilities will be closed? Maybe they should be put in cold storage for sale shipment to SE asia, i.e. food & fur ………. and make some money.

16. beegee17 says:

I lived in Rosemount back in the early 90’s. An asian couple were arrested for stealing peoples dogs. No one made a big deal out of it back then but they were stealing them to eat. Why not advertise that Rosemount has free cats?

17. Leslie Jo says:

This may be a good thing if they kill a lot of the cats like other places do. What are the euthanasia stats for this place??

18. Michael Tethrake says:

I guess no one remembers a little incedent in Europe called the Black Plague.This was caused by the eradication of cats,allowing rodents to run unchecked.Think it can’t happen here,think again!

1. beegee17 says:

RFLMAO! Have you heard of snakes, hawks, skunks? Primary diet is mice!

1. Bob says:

Unfortunately, ‘animal control’ has already eliminated the snakes and skunks.

1. RatPoison says:

Hey, today is the modern age. Get rat poisoning or get lair-furnishing.

2. Sean says:

Luckily we have these things called “rat traps” which do a better job than cats at controlling rodent populations.

3. Bubba says:

Ahh, ever heard of antibiotics?

19. steve says:

I have a problem with a neighbor who hoardes strays that are destroying our property. The SPCA and Humane Society told me they won’t do anything and I should handle it.

They probably wouldn’t like the way I’m handling it…

1. Steve's buddy says:

hey Steve-i took care of that bag o’ cats for you tuesday. Want me to pick up another load friday?

20. dsrtflwr says:

Just shoot them. I hate cats.

21. Laurie says:

Or should, maybe, the discussion be about where the other money is going in town and how much city officials are being paid instead of talking about the poor cats???? I would say the citizens of this town need to ask for a line item budget to see where they want to make the cuts. I just love how the politicians jump to things like this and firefighters and parks and libraries and a host of other things and they never talk about their insurance coverage or their pensions.

22. nomosocialists says:

Rosemount wastes tons of money each year and can’t find much to cut back. LOL This is a swipe at a political opponent of the mayor . The opponent happens to be the local Vet and gets the money for housing the stray cats when the city catches them. These two have been at each other since the City seized the Vets property using Imminent Domain and wasted a boat load of money on the downtown project.

23. Yirmin Snipe says:

They could just set out cat trap that snapped the necks of cats. Something tells me that cat owners would think twice about letting the cats out if they knew there were traps that would snap the necks of the cats roaming free.

24. Hank Warren says:

No money for helping animals but plenty of money to support endless Wars for Israel, it all started nearly a decade ago under a false flag attack.
    9/11 and Israel, here:

25. henry says:

All of the unwanted pets could be recycled. “Dog-Eat_Dog” dog food would be let them raise funds to cover the cost of disposing the unwanted animals. By having all of the unwanted animals from around the contry processed this way should make a profit.

26. Alex Goolsby says:

Why is no one acknowledging how awesome it will be to have cats everywhere, killing all the lesser critters and being generally superior? They will probably make better citizens than most of the losers in that town.

1. RatPoison says:

Then you have the liberty of dealing with the stray kitten mewing and stray cat spraying. Cats don’t know how to manage anything when it comes to controlled breeding, we people do. For life, liberty, and the pursuit for happiness I say, not over-population!

27. LA says:

one of the problems is affordable neutering and spaying. another problem is the adoption fee’s. let the cities combine their resources and let us have a animal thats affordable to obtain and then keep.

28. Alexa March says:

I hope no one’s cat gets out. This will remove the only place one might go to find poor fluffy if he gets lost.

29. Mannie says:

This is what .22s are for.

And steel traps.

1. mannie eats rats says:

use bear traps for lice like you mannie …. just sayin’

1. Mannie says:

Ah, another cat loving nutcase.

There’s therapy available for people like you.

People say I hate cats. They’re quite good with a little soy sauce.

2. suzie says:

I prefer anti-freeze or milk with aspirin myself….for the cats anyway

1. Mannie says:

That’s cruel. Even for me.

1. RatPoison says:

Anyways, the problem is to keep antagonizing cats off property.

30. Fred says:

Practice SSS. Shoot, Shovel and Shutup. Works every time.

1. steve says:

Fred your making me sad that I sold off my 410 shot gun. It was perfect for cats.

2. John Knight says:

cowardly action, fred.

1. RatPoison says:

It aint a fair battle anyways. Know your strengths, know your weaknesses.

31. Tina says:

Why are they not doing TNR (trap-neuter-release)?? The money they spent using it to house- could be used to start a low cost spay/neuter program in their county. Roaming is not going to solve the problem of over poulation.

1. Mannie says:

Thy are they not doing TKD. Trap Kill Dispose. What kind of nutcase releases live vermin back to the environment?

1. Mike Jones says:

Americans, apparently.

Well, a certain type of American. The type that will ask “why are they not doing TNR (trap-neuter-release)??” but would never spend all of their own money funding it. Got to give them credit though – they’re mighty charitable with my money.

32. dan says:

what a bleeding heart….why don’t you take them in and the local cat lady? shooting them will solve the problem….or maybe you and all the other ‘animal lovers’ poney up some money to pay for this…..i for one would rather our very stretched tax dollars go to something more useful ……like maybe your local school……

people like you will help a frickin cat but walk over and ignore the homeless person….what is more inhumane….getting rid of a cat population that is not natural or ignoring the plight of your fellow citizens….

33. William Patrick Bower says:

I love these budget problems. It’s the only way to get these liberals out of our liberty. I wonder what cats have been doing for the last 500 thousand years without them.

34. William is our model says:

I think if we apply William’s solution to all we’d have less disease, lower welfare payments, less corruption on Wall Street, way less wannabe types like Michelle Bachmann, aka SlantMouth, way fewer politicians, less white collar fraud and crime too. Then we can worry about any cat issues. Remember – the people always are first.
    Thanks Mr. Bower😉

35. Bob Tucker says:

Spay, neuter and release is the only sensible, humane way to control this problem. This is how it’s done in most places, cats don’t cause the problems that stray dogs do and are actually an asset to the city. They control the population of rats, mice, moles and snakes. Rodens breed much faster than cats and are much more expensive to control. If the cats are gone, there will soon be a tax for rodent control. Plus, they make exceptionally good pets.

36. Betty Dedman says:

Counties on the East Coast have implemented large fees of over $300.00/each to register WHOLE dogs and cats, to great result. Many of them have very few dogs and cats to impound now. It’s time that Americans rid themselves of the casual notion that their dogs and cats should someday breed a litter. I have 4 cats (1 female) and 2 female dogs, ALL fixed. (I live in the country.) My 9 year old female cat would have had about 100 unwanted kittens by now, if I hadn’t fixed her at 6 months old. My two 3 year old female dogs would have had 36 unwanted puppies by now, had I not fixed THEM at 6 months old. Although we all hate government intrusion, THIS is one positive way to fine offenders and make shelters cost-effective. This is also a great way to prevent animals who live short lives full of misery.

1. Xauling says:

How much does it cost to to register HALF dogs and cats? on the west cost. Do you get a discount?

37. Hotrod says:

I teach high school anatomy and physiology….cats for dissection are expensive. Maybe they can cut a deal with a biological supply company.

38. robert says:

Bring them to my neighborhood. I have 25,000 grackles huddled at night, They are filthy, noisy, aggressive creatures. The pet people give them immunity from any practical remediation.
    Some people think it OK to whack a foreign leader, but don’t touch a rogue dog, cat or bird…..rats are still ok if they don’t see ya

39. Jeff says:

Feral cats are a huge problem in that they decimate the native bird and small mammal populations. In the United Kingdom, feral cats are theatening or causing whole species to become extinct. They aren’t native to the US of A and compete with native predators like fox, racoon, opossum, bob cat, coyote, owl, hawk and more populations for the small critters.
    Plus, cats carry a lot of disease. Got cat scratch fever infection when helping out at an animal rescue facility and had to have the lymph nodes removed from my armpit because of the infection.
    If feral cats are captured, the only place they need to go is to a compost heap.

1. RatPoison says:

Talk about a cat plague, lol.

40. Htos1 says:

Is it my imagination or is there a point by point correlation between the mushrooming of animal hoarders,pitbulls,abandonments and the manipualtion of Fannie Mae/Mac by backdoor Barney?

41. weee says:

Let them eat cat!!!!!!!!!

1. Rufus Levin says:

42. Papa Smurf says:

The cats are smarter than these redneck shooters who should be shot instead because they are sucking up valuable resources.

1. Mannie says:

Another catlover. a waste of air.

There is therapy available for you people.

1. RatPoison says:

No, let the strays and ferals wallow in at thy residence for food. Maybe Papa Smurf will know when to quit.

2. Tony says:

I have a cat hoarder in my neighborhood. Just yelled at her last week. Told her she abuses animals! She actually breeds them. Smart, right? I would shoot them all and call it a day.

3. Rufus Levin says:

43. steve says:

Get one guy with a 22 caliber pistol and a couple of plastic trash barrels in the back of a pick up truck. Stray cat problem solved.
    It’s disgusting how much time and money is waisted on vermin animals while people in this country suffer.

44. Feech LaManna says:

Looks like a special Commission will have to be formed to round the cats up, bury them up to their necks, and run over their heads with a lawnmower.

45. charles says:

Easy fix.

Just fire the civil servantsand only use volunteers at the dogpound. Then offer $5 per pelt brought in to pay the utilities. The problem will solve itself. . .

1. yesssirrrreeeee charles says:

or $6 a scalp bounty for the killers….😉

46. John Knight says:

The reason rednecks and idiots don’t like cats is because thay are smarter, prettier and better hunters.

1. Rufus Levin says:

1. John Knight says:

kinda hits home doesn’t it rufus

47. Rufus Levin says:

48. James says:

Catch a cat, spay or neuter, vaccinate then release. They’ll keep the vermin down.

49. person says:

I am ashamed to be a human being when I read these thoughtless cress comments. Any suffering of an animal or human should make us take notice and care a little more.

1. Mike Jones says:

You’re a fool if you can’t distinguish “animal” from “human.”

50. David Duke says:

Cat, the other White Meat. Mmm, tastes like chicken!

51. Tom M. says:

Get your BB Guns out of the closet….

52. Aval says:

Would be a blessing in my town if they’d do something about roaming cats. I do not care for cats yet they come in my yard and make themselves at home on my back porch and furniture, leaving dirt and cat hair behind. Unable to find a deterrent that is safe to use. I do believe an ordinance had been passed on such but li ke everything else, they forget. Anyway, to permit pets to roam without supervision is showing a lack of care and respect for the pets as well as disrespect for neighbors. Don’t wish the cats ill-will but I’d appreciate you so-called cat lovers practicing what you proclaim.
    Definitely cats which have not been tagged should be picked up–could be illegal aliens. Owners should ensure vet attention, and pay a tax as many pay for dogs. Really, cats are more dangerous than dogs with disease, etc. Whatever. If you have a pet, take care of it–at home.

53. W.F. says:

We need less laws frankly. These laws created the problem in the first place. People just don’t trust the town or government to do anything except fine and fee, nickel and dime, people. Who wanted the law or this service provided first? People who make their living enforcing the law have the gall to complain over such matters. Yeah, get out the guns and eat some cats. Oh, but isn’t that also illegal?

54. sandy says:

I’m a cat lover. I have two. They are indoor cats. Outdoor cats are disease carriers. They kill native wildlife. Feral cats should be trapped then euthanize d or shot outright. To neuter a feral cat is the height of stupidity. What a waste of $$$.

55. JWnTX says:

Institute a “cat elimination program” that will hire exterminators to rid the city of all stray cats. Only the people who care about their cats will start to keep tabs on them. The rest need to be put down, either by gas or injection.

56. Yikes says:

Cat is goog meat!

57. Bob Tucker says:

There are about fourty stray, feral cats around my neighborhood that I feed and care for out of a Social Seccurity check. Nearly all fo them have been spayed, neutered and vaccinated. They cause no problems and the neighbors like having them around. The cats have cleaned out the many snakes, rats, mice and moles infesting the area. Cats are not natural carriers of any diseases that will affect humans. If any on them have rabies they caught it most likely from a dog, squirrel, coon or rat. I don’t hear anyone complaining about them, the rabies problem in here.

If someone will get off their rear and get with the ASPCA they can get a shelter started for the cats, most likely the city will help. Spay, Neuter, vaccinate and relaease the cats, that’s how civilized people do it.

The smart a&& punks talking about shooting the cats are just running their mouths. They should go on back to their punk, kiddie sites where they belong. Folks, get with the rest of the world and help the animals. The cats didn’t cause the problem, PEOPLE DID.

58. Woodsman says:

You need to get your facts straight about rabies. You have a greater risk of catching rabies from any cat, feral or not, than you do any wild animal. Go look up how many people have been infected by rabies in North America in the last century and from what animals. Most of the cases were people who traveled from other countries back into the USA after having been bitten by a wild animal in another country. Raccoons and skunks are not AUTOMATIC carriers of rabies. Possums can’t even catch rabies let alone transmit it, their body temperatures are far too low. Educate yourself first on the topics about which you voice an opinion.

And don’t anyone fall for the pathetic song and dance about cat-lovers being animal-lovers, they are anything but that. They don’t give one damn about any other animals nor even other humans. The ONLY things they care about are themselves and their damnable cats. Cat-lovers have the same values that cats have–themselves. Nobody else and nothing else matters to them.

Their TNR (trap, neuter, release) programs are a dismal failure too. A smokescreen and time & money waster. Don’t let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Do a search online for the truth about all TNR failures.

Those cats that are released will still be decimating the native food-chain for all manner of animals larger than themselves, as well as destroying all the smaller animals that feed the larger ones. And if you feed a TNR cat colony they kill even more wildlife. A well-fed cat kills more animals than a starving one. They don’t stop killing other animals just because they’re no longer hungry. The healthier they are the more they kill. It’s what they do, it’s what they are. Lousy little killing machines, nothing more.

The problem is just not the loss of bird populations either. Feral cats and neighboring farmers that let theirs roam free have decimated the natural food-chain in my woods. The resident foxes, owls, and other predatory animals no longer had a food source, the feral cats destroyed all the smaller animals that all the larger ones depended on. The native species all starved to death. That’s what cats do to ALL native animals.

I found out that where I live it is perfectly legal to defend your own property and animals from destruction by others’ animals. I lost count after dispatching over 20 of the lousy piece-of-sh!t vermin with a good .22, outfitted with a laser-sight and good zoom rifle-scope. I didn’t have to waste even one bullet, making this solution highly economical as well. Just think of how many dollars and hours of your lives that you have spent trapping, transporting, calling, complaining, restoring damaged property, … and still all the problems that these useless cat-lovers have caused remains.

It’s time to give cats and cat-lovers the same consideration and respect that they have for all other humans and all other wildlife–that means NONE. Don’t bother wasting your time arguing with disrespectful, inconsiderate, and ignorant cat-lovers either, as I stupidly tried to do too many times in the past. Just do what needs to be done and there’ll be nothing to argue about.

This year owls and foxes have returned to my woods. Through a large effort of my own, including raising and releasing native mice and voles to help repopulate the species that their piece-of-sh!t cats destroyed. Their lousy cats are finally gone. But I’ll shoot again on first-sight the first chance I get. The rewards for ridding one’s land of ALL cats and restoring the native wildlife population are far too great.

59. Woodsman says:

If you don’t live in an area where a firearm can be discharged legally (and kill cats legally, like it is where I live) then I offer another valuable and humane method to counter the myriad problems that all disrespectful and inconsiderate cat-lovers cause for everyone and all wildlife.

Google for: pot mod laser. You get these pot-moddable blue or green lasers for about 5$-$10 off of ebay from Hong Kong and China suppliers. You can easily increase their output to 100mw or more. I find that filing a small hole in the side of the barrel makes it easier to reach the potentiometer than disassembly and risking ruining it. I also found that the blue lasers are more powerful and effective than the green ones when pot-modded, lighting a match much more quickly.

Anytime you see a cat off of an owner’s property, use a pot-modded laser on it. If you blind a cat in one eye they’ll lose their depth perception and won’t be able to hunt as effectively. If you blind them in both eyes they’ll stay home near their food dish. This is instant and painless. It’s even far more humane than declawing. It is also anonymous. In daytime nobody will even know it happened or who did it — for those of you who don’t want to deal with or confront the ignorant and inconsiderate cat-lovers.

I keep one in my pocket for those cats that are too difficult to shoot cleanly with a .22. I don’t like to see any animal suffer. If I can’t get a clean shot then they get blinded.

The drastic problems that cat-lovers have created by their blatant disrespect and lack of consideration for their environment, all other humans, and all animals now requires drastic actions by all those who actually care. It takes real strength of heart to do the right thing.

If nothing else, now that the useless cat-lovers know this will happen to their cats, maybe they’ll keep them indoors where they damn well belong, to prove they actually care. Win win all around. Blind a few in your area, see if any of them actually do care about their cats or your property and wildlife. I bet they’ll still not give a damn, not even about their cats. Cat lovers don’t really care about anyone or anything but themselves, proved time and time again.

60. Woodsman says:

A little insight to help you with your war on cat-lovers and their cats. Maybe if you explain this to them you won’t have to use more drastic means.

I have come to the inexorable conclusion that the vast majority of cat-lovers and cat-owners that let their destructively invasive-species roam free, and those that defend the rights for feral cats to overtake public property and wildlife areas, are only (cowardly) using cats as a proxy for their own territorial behavior. Not unlike uneducated inner-city youth that will disrespectfully and inconsiderately use a boom-box to stake-out a territory for themselves with loud music. As long as they can have one of their possessions defecate in another’s yard and the yard-owner not have any recourse to do anything about it, the cat-owner owns that territory. It’s time to put a stop to them using their “cute kitty” excuse for usurping and stealing others’ property. If they want territory they can damn well buy it just like anyone else. Instead of using their underhanded, disrespectful, and manipulative means, putting (and sacrificing) live animals in the path of their envy and greed. Again proving why they don’t care about cats nor anyone else at all. Cat-lovers only really want your lawn, yard, or forest while making all others and all other animals suffer for what they can’t have nor own. Bottom line–they want to control you and your property. That’s all that “cat-lovers” are really after. It’s why they don’t care at all if their cat nor any other animals get harmed by their goals and (lack of) values in life.

61. Woodsman says:

A little more info to help the rest of you understand the gravity of this worldwide cat-infestation ecological disaster that we now all face.

Why TNR (trap, neuter, release) and Cat Advocates Even Exist …

Toxoplasmosis: Behavioral changes

It has been found that Toxoplasma gondii parasite is capable of changing the brains of whatever organism it infests. In mice, they lose the fear of cats and are even attracted to cat-urine. Making the asexual portion of the Toxoplasma gondii parasite’s life-cycle faster to complete in order to replicate more quickly into its sexual reproduction phase in all host cats. This loss of fear and apprehension manifesting itself in humans in a similar manner, even when common-sense tells them they should depend on that sense of fear or doubt for their own survival.

Here are other ways that this parasite have been known to alter the thinking patterns of humans:

I strongly suspect that it might even be responsible for all cat-lovers’ wholly contradictory behavior of putting cats, all other animals, and even all humans in harm’s-way through their adamant insistence of promoting TNR programs, just to ensure the survival and spread of more Toxoplasma gondii parasites throughout the food-chain and in more humans. They are, in effect, being controlled against all reason and common-sense by the very parasite that is reproducing in their cats.

Get tested for T. gondii if you are defending these invasive-species cats’ lives. You’re actually obeying parasites in your brain. You no longer think and reason like a human, ignoring all common-sense.

The stuff that sci-fi used to be made of comes to reality. Real-life “pod-people”. They can’t think nor reason beyond the need of ensuring the survival and proliferation of Toxoplasma gondii. It won’t let those who are parasitized think for themselves, nor allow them to destroy itself.

62. Dave D says:

If it’s illegal worldwide to torture animals using any method (bullfighters seem exempt), then why are cat-owners allowed to torture ALL wildlife with their cats? Cats don’t just kill wildlife humanely (like one can kill a feral cat with a well-aimed bullet), cats torture any animal to play with it while it’s still alive and twitching with its entrails hanging out. It seems that the longer they can keep an animal alive the more enjoyment that cats get out of it. Shouldn’t outdoor-cat owners and all TNR groups be charged with this crime of animal-cruelty, fined heavily, and all of them serving severe jail sentences? There seems to be a drastic double-standard going on. They may not be torturing other animals with baseball-bats or other weapons in their hands, but their cats are just as much a tool of theirs.

Would a dog owner be fined with the crime of animal-cruelty if they continually let their dog attack other animals? Of course, and it’s already happened, many times. Fined and convicted. It’s in the news often.

This drastic double-standard needs to be corrected. With the fines that all cat-owners and TNR groups would have to pay we’d have the money to clean up this ecological disaster they created. Think of all the new jails that would have to be built to house them all too, all the new jobs. We could turn this ecological disaster into an economic recovery by finally making some use of useless cat-lovers.