Police: Wire Theft Causes Gas Leak In Mpls
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Police say a copper wire theft from an abandoned house caused a gas leak Saturday afternoon that forced people to evacuate surrounding homes for hours.
Firefighters received a call around 2 p.m. saying that a single-story abandoned house on the 2000 block of Knox Ave. N. was leaking gas. So much gas was leaking from the house that five neighboring houses needed to be evacuated, firefighters said.
Firefighters were at the abandoned house for almost two hours, after which gas levels were lowered. While firefighters took care of the gas, police made a report of a copper wire theft that started the gas leak.
The gas leak caused no injuries, firefighters said.