Bicyclist Seriously Hurt In Apparent Hit-And-Run

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Police are investigating a hit-and-run incident involving a bicyclist in Minneapolis Wednesday evening.

A car struck the bike near the intersection of 14th Avenue North and Lyndale Avenue North at about 9:30 p.m.

The vehicle that struck the bicyclist left the scene without providing assistance or information to the injured bicyclist.

The bicyclist was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center in serious condition. His identity was not released.

Investigators are working to interview witnesses, though they say no one actually saw the crash happen. No one could give a description of the driver or provide police with a license plate.

Police also haven’t released any information about what sort of vehicle the suspect may have been driving. The bicyclist apparently didn’t have any identification on him at the time of the crash. At this time, no one has reported him missing.

They are asking anyone who may have information regarding this case to call the Minneapolis Police Department’s traffic unit at 612-673-2981.

Comments

1. Seth says:

Thank you Jonathan. As a regular bike rider in the TC’s, I have been involved with and witnessed countless ignorant, distracted and aloof drivers. Sorry Dean, 9 out of 10 times it is the driver of the vehicles fault, not the bicyclist. Perhaps you are interested in trying your 2 mile commute on two wheels and no engine?

2. Seth says:

Oh, forgot to mention..SHARE THE ROAD please

1. Jim says:

I certainly have no problem sharing the road, but if you want to share the road, you must obey the rules of the road as well. This means NOT running red lights, NOT jumping in and out of cars in traffic and taking some responisbility for watching out for yourselves. You can’t have it both ways. Riding on the street whether an SUV or a bicycle requires you obey traffic laws. People in autos need to watch that is to be sure, but it is also important for the bikers to watch as well.

That being said, there is NEVER an excuse for hit and run.

1. Julia says:

Vehicular cycling is the way to go when riding. It is more predictable for drivers and safer for cyclist. Fewer surprises, no weaving in and out of traffic and rules of the road are followed. Which includes lights both front and back.

There are cyclist that obey the law and those that don’t. Just like there are drivers that obey the law and those that don’t. Maybe the bar should be raised for everyone-not just those that happen to be riding a bike on the road.

I have lost count how many times I have almost been hit legally crossing a street in Minneapolis. Twice my husband pulled me out of the way. There have been several times that my children had encounters with cyclist on sidewalks when going to school. Countless time I have seen cyclist go around a large truck stopped at a light to “pass” around and almost hit the pedestrian in the crosswalk. Perhaps if drivers, any wheeled vehicle, was ticketed for violating the crosswalk law ($750 fine) it would raise overall awareness.

1. Jim says:

I agree completely. There are horrible drivers and horrible bikers. It truly is ashme that unattentive, selfish people have to make things terrible for everyone else.. I am not physically able to ride and do try to keep an eye out for bikers, sometimes I don’t see one. It is not that I am a road hog, it is an honest mistake. Cyclists do make honest mistakes as well. My saltier comments are for those (both drivers and cyclists) who knowingly refuse to obey the rules of the road. You are correct that the police need to enforce traffic laws and most of this problem goes away.

2. manny says:

Jim, I couldn’t agree more. This issue is a two way street, no pun intended. We need more mutual respect between motorists and cyclists.

3. Schae says:

Bikers need to understand that the rules/laws of the road APPLY TO THEM TOO! And for a lot people (INCLUDING MYSELF) riding a bike is NOT feasible–especially with me having a disability as the result of an injury. Bikers need to take responsibility and PAY ATTENTION TO THE LAWS because a lot of them DON’T–especially around certain parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

1. JamieinMN says:

I almost ALWAYS see bikes obeying the laws just like us drivers do. They just make me nervous when I’m driving next to them:-/ I would love to eventually start biking to work, maybe once when we move back to the cities. In this case, it was most likely the DRIVER who was not paying attention. I almost saw a guy get hit right in front of me down in Apple Valley as he was crossing at a crosswalk on his bike, and a car came within inches of hitting him! Let’s face it, most bicyclists, MOST nowadays are very aware and obedient of the laws. Drivers on the other hand, completely ignorant. I’m still amazed at how many people I see texting while driving, yapping away while swerving in and out of traffic.

1. Jim says:

While I agree that there are many people who should not be operating a motor vehicle, I have to say that especially in downtown Minneapolis I see a majority of bikers running lights. But this is not about blame, it should be about personal responsibility on both sides of the issue. It is sad that people are blind to bikers, and there are plenty of bikers who act responsibly, but there are also alot of drives who act responsibly. The problem is that it is the bad ones we remember. Also since I assume you are an operator of a motor vehicle Jamie, that you consider yourself as completely ignorant?

1. JamieinMN says:

Well, yes I do. I don’t follow the law 100% of the time. I SOMETIMES will take a phone call on my way home. I can’t exclude myself from that, neither can you.

1. Jim says:

I never claimed to be a perfect driver or person, I have plenty of faults with which I have to contend. However I respectfully remind you that it was you who made the statement, I was simply verifying what you meant. Thank you for your clarification.

2. Anita Newhouse says:

Reality is bikes have as much right to be on that road as cars. And as cars can basically mow over anything in their path, drivers have an ADDED responsibilty towards pedestrians and cylcists. Cyclists need to do a better job of not exploiting this. Too many drivers don’t assume this added responsibilty, wanting everyone else to accomodate them. Drive the car and do the rest -talking, texting, shaving, parenting, etc-at home, or at least out of the car.

1. Jim says:

Anita, I agree completely, that was my initial point is that if both sides stick to their responsibilities instead of relying on the other person, these tragedies would not happen as nearly often as they do.

2. Jack MeHoff says:

Wrong, bikes do not have as much right to the road as cars… When was the last time you paid your yearly road tax, and wheelage tax on your bike? Never, huh, car drivers do.

If you want to ride on the road, fine, but obey the laws and if you cannot maintain the speed limit, get on the shoulder, and if there is no shoulder, you shouldn’t be riding you bike on that road that is designed for and paid for by people in cars.

1. A Cyclist says:

Roads are paid through property tax dummy.

1. Jim says:

Actually only partially, alot of road taxes are paid by the taxes on gasoline and the fuel use permits that ovet the road truckers have to buy in order to drive in the state. Bike trails are paid for by everyone, even those of us who are unable to ride bikes. So maybe instead of name calling, you could say thank you,. This has gotten too far afield. The point is someone was hit and the person who hit them did not stop. This is a tragedy felt by all law abiding citizens be they bike riders or motor vehicle drivers.

2. Not to cause an issue but... says:

@ A cyclist….
            REALLY? WOW! A SMALL portion is paid through propery taxes….
            Gas Tax…..Wheelage Tax…..Tabs……Vehicle Sales Tax……They make up the MAJOR portion!
            So take your SMALL portion and get out of the way….

2. A Cyclist says:

Also, it’s a speed LIMIT, not a speed MINIMUM.

3. Elllllll says:

I own a car, but also ride a bike.

1. Jack MeHoff says:

I own 3 cars and 2 bikes, I pay tabs on all 3 cars every year and ride my bikes on paths, trails, parks and suburban back roads where you’d typically find pedestrians and bikes, not downtown, not on a 50mph road, and defenitely not in traffic. I don’t care who you blame, the driver or the biker, but when a driver and a biker tangle, I can gaurntee the driver is not the one on the ground bleeding. So regardless of the law, it the other vehicle is bigger than yours, they have the right of way, and thats common sense.

1. larry says:

its not common since how about following the rules of the road idiot

1. Jack MeHoff says:

Unfortunately not everyone follows the rules of the road, therefore I highly recommend combining the rules with some common sense. (cars and bikes)

By the way, kinda hard to debate with a bunch of name callers.

One final question, if the tabs I purchase for my vehicles do not pay for the roads, then what do they pay for?

4. edotcommers says:

What’s wheelage tax? I don’t think I pay for that on my car either.

1. Josh says:

A wheelage tax is for people who don’t live in Hennepin County.

3. Mike says:

OH, so we should all just wait around trying a right or left turn while you recreationally ride youe bikes? Should we do the same for skateboards too?
        OH WAIT, you are a liberal. If you don’t PERSONALLY do it, you hate it

.Anita Newhouse, you are a crook.

Projecting…….

2. Josh says:

@Mike
          Wow, you really had to bring partisan politics into this? Sounds like someone is angry and feels powerless.

I like to ride my bike to get to work. I’d ride on the sidewalks, but that is illegal.

4. Riley says:

Hit an run could just be another form of road rage. I ride as well drive. Don’t tell me when I am driving my 81 y/o mother-inlaw around that I should be on 2 wheels. Riding 2 wheels means that ALL traffic laws apply to you as well as well. Not only running red light but also 2 and 4 way stops. I drive with my lights on as a safety factor, how about the same for you 2-wheeler’s. It would make it a lot easier to see you.

5. Robert says:

Sorry to hear about this. I hope the catch the hit & run guy. Terrible.
    – – –
    That being said, my biggest pet peeve are the bicyclists in Uptown going east/west on the streets within a block or two of the Greenway. There’s a bike path. Use it.
    That’s not the only place I see bikers choosing the street over the path either. I don’t understand it. Whenever I’m on my bike, sure I’ll go on the roads if I need to, but if there’s a bike path going the same direction within a few blocks of me, I always choose that route over the street.

1. Brodown. says:

If you have a pet peeve about bikers in Uptown using the roads-which car drivers are legally obligated to share-you should probably move.

1. Mike says:

NO HOEHOWN! You can go to Asia or Europe. They freely except bikes in the roads. If you want socialism, then I would run away. In America we do not want our roads used for the few protesters on bikes.

1. Ben says:

@Mike

Is this what conservatives have been reduced to? Somehow equating riding a bike with socialism. I guess it proves the point that most conservatives have no idea what socialism is. Apparently, according to Mike, it means riding a bike.

Keep calling things that you don’t like ‘socialist’, maybe it’ll make the difinition change.

2. edotcommers says:

I’m not sure that I believe that everyone who likes to move their legs for recreation or transportation on a 2, 3, or 1 wheel pedal bike is a ‘protester’. Really? You don’t speak for America, you speak for yourself!

2. A Cyclist says:

Ever think that maybe they’re going to somewhere on those streets? It’s not like the Greenway has an exit between Bryant and Nicollet.

1. Josh says:

@A Cyclist

Exactly. Some of us have to use the roads to get to the greenway. Some of us are actually going somewhere on our bikes. Many of us also have cars that we pay for the tabs on…fancy that!

6. Robert says:

Sorry to hear about this. I hope the catch the hit & run guy. Terrible.
    – – –
    That’s not the only place I see bikers choosing the street over the path either. I don’t understand it. Whenever I’m on my bike, sure I’ll go on the roads if I need to, but if there’s a bike path going the same direction within a few blocks of me, I always choose that route over the street…

7. Dirk Birken says:

If you’re such a bad driver you’re shocked you haven’t hit a biker yet, you should have your license revoked. The bikers are obviously not the problem in your case.

8. Pete says:

For what its worth, I have seen both motorists and bicyclists “behaving badly” in regards to their driving/riding, there is plenty of blame to go around to everyone.

9. Dirk Birken says:

Oh, and “Jon M” if the only reason you haven’t hit a biker is because “they’re too good at getting out of my way” , you’re not just a bad driver, you’re a sociopath and probably a budding serial killer.

1. Jo Mama says:

Or someone trying (unsuccessfully, successfully, your call) to be funny. Get a grip.

2. Mike says:

And why do you wear those tights? Do you guys meet up in the woods or something? You know it doesn’t make you go any faster.

10. tom Lais #2828 says:

This is a tragedy and we all need to be more kind to each other on the road. Somepeople simply don’t know how to bike in traffic. We, the American League of Bicyclists; are educating bicyclists and drivers on safe and responsible biking.

Join us and encourage your friends to take a bike safety course. Learn to ride in traffic and how to protect yourself from cars. The Bike Alliance of Minnesota Lists safety course sites and dates.

11. Evilteddybear says:

Hopefully everything will work out. In a way I love the bikers and moped riders they are doing a big part decreasing fuel prices. Sharing a road with a 2000 lb machine is not the best idea. Most people who are going downtown are usually lost and confused. They are looking for there hotel or meeting location and looking for car traffic plus the people who just walk in front of them and now the bikes. I saw a bike run thr stop light and was hit by a car the police officer said it happens all the time. Usually it’s the bikes fault.

12. Jim says:

Usually I find that most bicycle riders in the twin cites are people who had their cars taken away from DUIs and find they don’t get pulled over as much riding bicycles drunk. Pedestrians always assume a car isn’t going to stop, bikes assume the car will stop and yield them. That’s why so many people get hit.

1. Seth says:

“I find that most bicycle riders in the twin cites are people who had their cars taken away from DUIs and find they don’t get pulled over as much riding bicycles drunk.”

Really? This is the last reason MOST people ride bicycles…

There is certainly blame to go around here on both sides. I am guilty of going through a red light when there is no moving traffic, just like pedestrians do. There is a high level of responsibility that goes along with riding a bicycle, but no more than operating a vehicle. Everyone can improve on their awareness for one another, however I am fed up with being a victim of a jerk behind a wheel. I’ve had people try to run me down, drive onto a curb blocking me, getting out of trucks to fight me because I was following all laws and simply biking ON THE STREET. This does not include the countless times (3 when I was actually hit) cars speed past to make a right turn cutting me off . I now carry my bike lock where I can grab it quickly to protect myself. Should I really need to do this?

The sad part is drivers in this city are much more aware than most cities in this country.

Let’s not forget their is a person injured and we should all hope they have a full recovery and can ride again.

2. edotcommers says:

Gol Jim, You must hang out with a sorry crowd if that’s what you think of those who ride bicycles, people who have lost their licenses. Personally, I like exercise. And combining it with transporting to/from work is really efficient so it works out great for me, keeps me healthy and happy. Cheers. (btw, not one cyclist I know of has lost their license)

13. A says:

In Europe, it is the pedestrians and bicyclists that have the responsibility to get out of the way. Motor vehicles have the right away.

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Really, you do know that Europe is a continent and not a country. Some countrries have better laws than others and as far as I know, in all European countries it’s against the law to hit someone with your car.

14. Minnesota Nice???? says:

I moved to MN because of all the great things I have heard about it, and I also keep hearing about this “Minnesota Nice” thing too but have yet to see that or hear that.
    What I would like to see is everyone here get along and show some respect towards one another.

1. Tea's Three Times NOT to be "MN Nice" says:

MN Nice…ALL bet’s are off when we are:
      #1- Behind the wheel
      #2- Talking about politics
      #3- Talking about eh NY Yankee’s
      Other than that….I love you!

15. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Wow, you fine car driving folks, who always watch what you’re doing, never speed, run red lights, talk on your cell phone or do ANYTHING stupid and irresponsible sure are good at making ASSUMPTIONS about an accident when you have NO DETAILS. Open your eyes. What’s the phrase…’Let he without sin cast the first stone’

1. Mike says:

Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu, you are a fool. Take your child’s toy and invest invest in a vehicle once you find a job. Now quit stealing free internet at the coffee shop.

1. edotcommers says:

Did you say “invest in a vehicle” hahaha. An investment for you might start with an education.

16. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

And by the way folks, When a cyclist is at a red light in Minnesota and there is no opposing traffic, the cyclist is allowed to procede throught the red light.

1. Tea Bunny Hop-a-lot says:

Thank you Mr. Know-it-all AKA JPDB!!!
      #1- What does Europe being a “country” vs. Continent have to do with the prior post….
      #2- It’s STILL against the law to hit ANYTHING on purpose on the road….NO ONE is doubting this….
      The bottom line is I agree with bicyclists and ped’s NEEDING to be aware of their surroundings! And if someone who has no clue wonders out in traffic and gets hit….it’s THEIR fault!

2. The LAW stated here!! says:

Oh….and as far as I can tell…your 100% WRONG about your “red light” comment!!!
      LOOK AT LAW #1
      Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu……you are a MORON!!!!

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Ok, since you can’t figure out how to use a search engine or support your arguement without name-calling, I’ll just copy and paste this here for you.
        Subd. 9. Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.
        (a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
        (1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
        (2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
        (3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
        (4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
        (b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control
        signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

1. Jim says:

Sir, the cyclists I have referred to roll through a red light, they do not stop. And I would like to remind you that it says the light has to remain red for an “unreasonable” amount of time. These conditions still make your first comment wrong. A cyclist still has to come to a complete stop and wait a reasonable amount of time. Take a look downtown Minneapolis and well over half the bikers do not wait nor do they stop at all. If drivers took care of their business and bikers took care of theirs, this debate would not be happening.

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Well, you do have a point. And I cannot speak for anyone but myself. But consider if all the cyclist downtown sat in front of your car waiting at the red light. How happy would you be about that? The common belief from motorist is that people on bikes are not paying attention to the world around them. Fact is; cyclist are much more aware of everything around them. Cyclist are usually not listening to a radio, a cell phone, or reading the paper. We are paying attention to every single vehicle around us, as well as potholes, squirrells and bunnies. Everyday I see someone behind the wheel of a motor who is only paying attention to what is immediately in front of them, and only barely. There is maybe one bicycle-motorized vehicle accident every couple of weeks downtown. How many car on car accidents are there daily?

1. Jim says:

I am not responsible for the other idiot drivers who refuse to obey the law and pay attention to what they are doing. Drivers have to pay attenttion too. My only point was what the law is. As for “the common belief” you stated, I believe if you look at all of my posts on this subject, I have been quite consistent in what I have said. Drivers and bikers both need to obey the laws and take care of themselves. If we do that instead of blaming and pointing fingers this would be a moot point.

2. A Lawyer you are not says:

@ JIm…BINGO…you are correct!!!!
          Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu You JUST PROVED your POINT is wrong!!!
          I quote!
          “When a cyclist is at a red light in Minnesota and there is no opposing traffic, the cyclist is allowed to procede throught the red light”
          You WORD it as they have the right to “proceed with out stopping”!
          So way to prove OUR point….

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Nope, I’m not a lawyer, you sure proved your point. good job.

1. Jack MeHoff says:

The reason for that law is becuase bikes don’t weigh enough to trigger the underground sensors for the traffic light to change, so instead of sitting at a red light waiting for an hour for a car to come along, they are saying its ok after you’ve waited an unreasonable amount of time and its all clear. You are not a lawyer or you would not be trying to argue your invalid point..

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Hey, masturbator, did you notice that there is no time limit mentioned, therefore leaving it to the discretion of the vehicle operator in front of the light. Maybe do your homework before voicing your opinion, because this has seen it’s day in court, several times actually, and I’ll give you one guess as to who is right. It’s not you.

2. Mike says:

Yep, you liberals twist the laws to make them convenient to you. You don’t care about anyone else.
            Why don’t you tell peolpe what happens at those violent bike rallies, you guys are a cult.

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Wow, once again with the dumb assumptions and name calling. What makes you think I am a liberal? And I’m pretty sure that a monster truck rally is far more violent than any bicycle rally you can imagine. But hey, if you think that riding a bike and not being fat and stupid is vioulent, then I must be the INCREDIBLE HULK!!!

17. A Cyclist says:

I yield to motor vehicle traffic, but I’m not going to wait at the light.

By the way the sun is amazing today! I feel sorry if you’re stuck in a bubble today listening to commercials on the radio.

18. Tea Says says:

I PRAY the guy is going to be OK…but a LOT of bicyclists are JERKS when riding! Passing people WITHOUT looking behind them for traffic….or riding THREE abreast taking up 1/2 of the lane….I live on a road where just about EVERY DAY in the Spring/Summer I have to SWERVE to get out of the way of some JERK who thinks because he’s on a bike…he OWNS the road! It almost got ME into a HEAD ON CRASH once!
    CARS are the ones PAYING TAXES and provide the road..therefor SHOULD be the PRIMARY vehicle on ANY road!
    The min I am allowed to drive my car on a bike path…THEN it will be equal!!!

1. Elliot says:

Consider waiting for a safe time to pass and pay attention to the cycle rider in front of you to avoid any need to swerve. You would have a much less of a stressful commute and be more safe.

1. Mike says:

Hey Elliot, buy a car you bum,

19. Tea Says READ THIS!!! says:

HELLO ALL!!!!

A LOT of you are SO WRONG!!!

Look at the LAWS stated here!!!!!

I would say bikers follow NONE of them!!!! (Look at the posts below!!! Some idiot said it’s OK to run red lights….yet RULE #1 is to obey them!!!)

Maybe if bikers DID follow the RULES stated here…there would not have been a problem!!!

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Why is it that when I show you the actual law, (not just an outdated interpretation) and then explain the law to you in a civil manner, you still make assumptions that are incorrect. And again resort to mouth foamy rhetoric and name-calling. Base your arguement on fact and act like an adult. Rational conversation does notresort to word twisting and name calling. You don’t have to agree with what I am saying. That’s okay.

Do you think that bikes belong on the sidewalk? Is that really where this irrational anger comes from? Seriously, You seem bright enough to be able to use your computers internet program, can you use a search engine? If you can, you can find all of the laws relalting to bicycles in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Most of the laws are actually included in your driving manual. (But wait, you’re too good of a driver to need a current list of all the laws regarding the vehicle you are driving.) Good luck, Here is a good place to start – Complete Streets Act – Now all you have to do is copy and paste – Complete Streets Act – And you will be well on your way to a nice understanding of the ever changing world of transportation law.

20. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

And Tea; Maybe if it’s not safe to pass another vehicle on the road, you shouldn’t.

1. Mike says:

Play with your toys on the side walk.

1. feel sorry for mike says:

@Mike
        Just because you can’t keep your balance on a two-wheeler, it doesn’t mean you have to give up trying! Hang in there, little man.

21. Tea says maybe quit while your ahead says:

@Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu…….
    So what your saying…is Bikes can do whatever they want….and it’s up to the people driving the automobiles to watch out for them…..right?
    That is the probelm……it should be EQUAL!
    From your attitude….I have a feeling you think this is WRONG…..
    You and a LOT of the bikers that have posted on this blog are NOT helping the issue….

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Actually I never said anything of the sort. I do agree with Jim, but Tea, examine what you are saying. It’s not equal until you can drive on a bike path, ok, let me ride on the highway. Cyclist have the same rights and responsibilities as do motorists. Cyclist also have a few more benefits, mainly because we can’t kill anybody due to dropping a big mac on the floor board. Roads are paid for by property taxes, my property taxes, and yours. I am entitled to a full lane space, if I am further to the curb allowing you to pass me, you must give me 3 feet clearance. If you can’t pass safely, then you can’t pass. As far as red lights, if I pull up to a light and see no sign of the light changing, and there are no OPPOSING vehicles, I may procede. No I’m not a lawyer, but lots of lawyers have made this case and won. Now I’m gonna go get on my bike and be happy. Have fun with your road rage at home.

1. What is a "dangerbunny" any way.... says:

Well aren’t you the pot calling kettle black…
        #1- Road Rage? Road rage would be if I didn’t swerve to avoid hitting them…and I DO swerve as I care about my fellow MN’s…it may get me angry…but road rage? Hardly…
        #2- So….again you prove my point about bikers just doing what they want becasue they “think” it’s ok….You stste “As far as red lights, if I pull up to a light and see no sign of the light changing, and there are no OPPOSING vehicles, I may procede.” with out stopping I presume….Do you do the same in your automobile?
        #3- Your comment about a motorist killing someone “due to dropping a big mac on the floor board”….who is saying the hit and run was the motorists fault?
        I promise you there are a LOT more “stupid” automobile drives out there than bikers….so I will agree with you there…..but the bottom line is there are a LOT of bikers who “feel” they have the right to the WHOLE road (not the 3 feet you are entitled to) and break LAWS because they THINK they CAN just because they are “bikers”….that’s my point….
        I will continue to WATCH OUT for every biker I can and be as safe of a driver I can to keep EVERYONE safe…..I just hope this accident makes bikers do the same!

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

It is not conducive to a proper conversation to make constant assumptions about what the other person is saying. Bicycles are actually entitled to a full car length. If a cyclist is riding on the curb side of the lane, they are telling you it is safe to pass them. I never ride with anybody 3 abreast. I don’t even ride 2 abreast,m even though legally I could. I’m just trying to be polite and share the road that we are all entitled to use. When you make assumptions about the law you will find you are wrong. The 3 feet i mentioned is the amount of space a car is required to give a bicycle when passing.

2. Seth says:

1. Mike says:

Seth

“”””Consider waiting for a safe time to pass and pay attention to the cycle rider in front of you to avoid any need to swerve. Maybe leave your home 3 minutes earlier so you don’t need to speed. You would have a much less of a stressful commute and be more safe. You appear to be the type of driver that has closely ran me off the road, cut me off, made a right turn directly in front of me, passed when I could reach out and touch your car, drover a truck onto the sidewalk to stop and fight me. Listen, we all have rights and if mine continue to be violated I hope it is people like you, Mark and others who will have their window smashed out when I need to protect myself and get your attention so I don’t get ran over. Really getting tired of the fools feeling they are entitled to pavement. Let’s SHARE THE DAMN ROAD””””

You don’t understand Seth. You are a criminal. If you are caught in act, you will be taken care of. You, as in Byciclist, Obama supporter, people trying like you with grassroots motives to make this a communist society. Seth, YOU are America’s enemy.

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Mike you are really special. Riding a bike doesn’t describe any political affiliation. Ie: Pawlenty building bike paths everywhere and riding his bike acrosss St. Paul almost everyday. It really speaks to the rationality and intelligence of our local populace, that the rabid motorist resorts to name-calling and stupidity while the cyclist maintains a civil discourse. Sorry are these words to big for you? Learn your laws and try to understand the world around you. You might learn something, and not that it’s relevant, but I am a little bit more conservative than Glenn Beck, just not quite as alarmist and dumb. You on the other hand….

1. feel bad for mike says:

@Jean-Paul
            I wouldn’t even respond to Mike. At worst, he’s in a tailspin of paranoia; at best, he’s just trying to be an instigator. He’s the type of person who believes everything he hears on tv about “the threat of socialism”. He’s already proven himself to be uninformed-do you really care what someone like that thinks? He’s kind of like a scab:leave him alone so he can heal. Just feel sorry for him that he hates his life so much.

22. erin says:

A lot of petty cruel comments here. How about, I wish the injured cyclist a speedy recovery and am parying for them.

1. erin says:

sorry, I meant PRAYING

23. MARK says:

In all honesty Dean, please stay off the road. You sound like a horrible driver.

24. Zelda says:

I drive, bike, and walk all over the cities.

When I’m biking, I tend to think the drivers and pedestrians are idiots. When I’m driving, the bicyclists and pedestrians bug me to no end. When I’m walking, I can’t stand the stupid drivers and bicyclists. (Believe me, I DO follow laws and am absolutely aware of my surroundings in all three situations.)

That being said, it’s unconsionable what the driver did, running away without assisting the poor biker.

1. Mike says:

NOBODY has an obligation for this! We don’t think they should be out there. He took his bike out, he’s a big boy right? OH I forgot, YOU LIBERALS ARE WIMPS.

2. Josh says:

Zelda, you’re one of the few honest people on here.

25. bubba136 says:

I’m suprised more arent hit, they have absolutely no regerd for the laws, they pick 2 lane roads to ride on 3-4 wide and then flip you off when you try and go around them. Go to 28th and longfellow and see how many follow the rules there,not a one of them stops and pushs the button as per the rules,they just ride right out and make everybody slam the brakes on. In this state the way people drive and the way they ride,if you get hit its nobodies fault but your own !!!!

26. mg says:

ok, First things first, The fact that someone was hit by a car is horrible, regardless of who is at fault. I hope that the victim has a speedy recovery. That being said, I would like to take a moment to clear up some of the mis-conceptions that I have read in these comments. First of all, a cyclist on a road in Minnesota has the same rights as a car, this includes the right to the ENTIRE LANE, even if there are cars behind them. Secondly, if a motorized vehicle is passing a cyclist there must be a minimum of 3 feet between the vehicle and the cyclist. Third, in most areas of Minneapolis cyclists are prohibited from riding on the sidewalk, (it is more dangerous for both pedestrians and cyclists). These come from MN statutes 169.222 & 169.18. Now, with those rights come the same responsibilities that cars have, including stopping at all stop lights/signs.

Regardless of how you think that the roads are paid for they belong to all users (cyclists, cars, pedestrians). Hopefully we can someday come to a arrangement by where all users have everything they want, but until then we all have to share the limited resources the city/state provides.

27. Rev. J says:

You bike riders should take those children toys and keep them in the park.
    You liberals enjoy your silly bike riding, so you try and bully children and women while riding.
    Hey, if I have a choice of going in the opposinng lanes with an oncoming car, or one of you aholes. Huh.
    Oh, QUIT SAYING ON “YOUR RIGHT” “ON YOUR LEFT” you think you own the street while on a bike. Then while in your cars, and then while walking your dogs. But yet you are quick yo point out the first person smoking outside in a state park. STAY OFF THE ROAD, LOOK OUT FOR CARS. You liberals are going out there like martars, lunitics.

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Ok, next time I pass you I’ll make sure not to say anyhting and Hit you with my toy, oh yeah, this so political that I must be a fascist.

1. Jean-Paul Dangerbunny Beaulieu says:

Such a brave man, threatening me over the internet, you forget I actually exercise, rather than just sit behind a wheel and fume about those damned people…. Bring it on, or grow up, your choice.

2. edotcommers says:

Blanket statements, blanket statements! You sound like a lunatic btw. Mad about everything. Please remove yourself from society for the well being of everyone you encounter everywhere. Sorry you have to live with yourself however, must be miserable.

28. Josh MPLS says:

They really do need to stay on the sidewalk. He deserved it. Road is for cars…and by biking in the road, you are taking that risk !!!!

1. Ben says:

@Josh MPLS

Would if we could, but it’s against the law in commercial/business areas (as noted by the sidewalk signs). As far as residential neighborhoods are concerned, it’s a city by city thing.

29. stopyourhating says:

Sorry, nobody deserves to be injured, or killed, by motor vehicles.

Like it or not, our law states that bicycles have a right to the road (even to ride two abreast) and that motor vehicles must give them space.

We have laws and enforce them to keep our society civil, and not reduced to the vitriol name-calling and one-sided hatred that you seem fond of.

“Road is for cars” is not how we Minnesotans have defined our laws. Those of us citizens who still respect and abide by the rule of law will follow it. Those who do not will be prosecuted.

How many cyclists have driven a car on city streets? My guess is most if not all. How many motorists have ridden a bicycle on city streets? My guess is few if any. Why don’t we try a little empathy and see what it is like on the other side before jumping to conclusions.

As to the toy references – you clearly don’t have an understanding of the current market trends in the bicycling industry. Many cost more than the keyboard you are typing on.