Minn Gov Starts Civil War Commemoration Task Force

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton has set up a Civil War Commemoration Task Force.

Dayton said in a release that the task force will conduct public educational programs and encourage Minnesota organizations to participate in and develop programs that help expand appreciation for the Civil War.

Dayton says members of the First Minnesota Volunteer Regiment were among those on the front lines, including at the Battle of Gettysburg.

The group will include a co-chair, two members each of the Senate and House, a member chosen by the Minnesota Historical Society and up to nine citizen members who may include descendants of Minnesotans who participated in the war.

The 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War is Tuesday.

Secretary of State Mark Ritchie made the announcement Saturday at the Capitol.

Comments

1. Kevin says:

GOOD GOD!!! How about the stop immigration and get my ass a job Task Force! Is this guy a moron or what?

1. Drew says:

You’re right, Kevin. It is all about you

2. Jake says:

I agree. I thought the state was broke? Was this a major issue in last fall’s gubernatorial election? I must have missed that headline.

2. Dave Seavy says:

The state is in the red; healthcare and services for the poor and disabled are being cut; people are losing their homes and everything in them due to unemployment, and we’re spending money on some task force to educate people so they can “appreciate” the Civil War? A task force ought to be created to study and implement the elimination of task forces.

3. Oh Ya!!!! says:

Minnesota has groups that do this!

4. MNBrant says:

I like it but I am a democrat who has alot of ancestors who fought in gettysburg. I guess the civil war is a democrat thing. Republican were hoping the south won I guess. OK just kidding

1. ohoh says:

for heaven sake, itn’t public education supposed to teach about the cival war? when is this guy going to figure out the State is broke. and MNBRANT if you like this idea so much, please, please feel free to pay for it. I am broke and trying to take care of my family and this Governor is using tax dollars, which I pay to fund this supurflous idea/

2. Rusty Shakelford says:

Dems are STILL mad that we freed the slaves? Hey Dems, He’s spilling the beans.

5. Jose Cuervo says:

Deer-in-the-headlights dayton at his finest, what an embarrassment.

6. Cache says:

Mr. Mental Midget needs a ‘special task force’ to teach the civil war…where are his illuminated Union Teachers who are the ones who are supposed to teach this??? More extra money to be wasted by State that is BROKE …How is it our politicians are such MORONS!

7. gtV says:

For all you naysayers who are squawking about this Civil War Commemoration Task Force, relax, it is probably is a volunteer ceremonial committee that doesn’t or shouldn’t cost the state or the taxpayers a dime! Considering Minnesota’s contributions to the Civil War efforts this should be an educational endeavor for all Minnesotans.

So why are you folks complaining then? Afraid you might learn something from past history? The way things are politically in this state I wonder if we as Americans and Minnesotans ever learned anything from our past history and political mistakes? Seems like everyday is a civil [political] war in the capitol!

1. Jake says:

Then why all the press? If you want to learn and appreciate what was done during the Civil War, NOBODY is stopping you from learning about it, if you really care about it.

8. Another perspective says:

With the Civil War being one of the largest turning points in our collective history, and with it being the 150 year anniversary of its beginning, it’s important to teach people about what the war was about. I doubt it would cost the state much if any money (although I could be wrong here), for people who embrace citizenship in America should consider this extremely important. As a war that lost more lives than World War II (still a part of our collective memory as a society) I can’t understand how a country that supports the sacrifice of our troops does not consider this important. That would be the simplest model of hypocrisy.

I could go on and on about the political and economic reasons why this is important, but I’ll leave that to the task force. My guess is (a guess so again, maybe wrong…) is that if it is supported by tax dollars, it might be supported by the most recent tax increase related to the arts and humanities so even if this task force didn’t take money, it might not even be available for current needs of the people.

1. Rusty Shakelford says:

Communist, anti-American typical comment. OBAMA VOTER RIGHT ABOVE…
      “Another perspective” that is your SOCIALIST UTOPIAN DREAMWORLD.
      No More Obama.

1. Swamp Fox says:

Rusty;
        Take your hateful diatribes elsewhere! Your comments are out of order for this story. Didn’t you read the story?

With comments like yours no wonder this country is having problems. What have you done to improve this country today? I just spent too much time commenting about your remarks. Take your hateful diatribes elsewhere! Enough said!

9. Eartha says:

Stop wasting my money.

1. Swamp Fox says:

What money? Read the story. Don’t you want to learn what the Civil War meant and means to Minnesotans?

10. Pete says:

I am glad to see that the State is taking the time to shed more light on this very important piece of history. I am not so glad to see that remembering an event that helped our states bond into a Republic ruffles so many feathers. Hopefully we learned from the Civil War what can happen when pride gets in the way of common sense and people refuse to compromise and work together to move the Nation ahead. Too much time spent trying to pin blame on “the other side” leaves no time to get things accomplished. Why not use the lessons from the past to guide us into the future?

1. Rusty Shakelford says:

Nice trick Commie!!! The same type of bitter liberals like Pete were just like John Booth.

11. Rusty Shakelford says:

THE LIBERALS ARE STILL MAD THAT WE FREED THE SLAVES. So sad, and you too Eartha? What a hypocratic name.

1. Eartha says:

Hypocratic? Again, I rest my case.

12. Chris K says:

Rusty you sound like the imbecile you are you Republican socialist. End corporate welfare and the joke of a spending bill introduced by Ryan. Why does the Repub bill spend $4t a year? Spending under Clinton towards the end was $1.8T? Republicants grew federal spending under Bush alot.

1. Rusty Shakelford says:

Trickery by questionable math. Horrible try Chris, return to the debate you coward. thetruthbyrusty@yahoo.com