Grocery Store Shooting Victims Identified

By Reg Chapman, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The victims killed in a grocery store shooting in Brooklyn Park Friday evening have been identified.

The Hennepin County Medical Examiner said Abby Fedeli, 20, of Brooklyn Park, was one of the victims.

Police found Fedeli dead from a gunshot wound to the neck in the employee break room of Festival Foods at 8535 Edinburgh Center Drive at around 8:30 p.m.

Police also found an adult male with a gunshot wound. He was brought to North Memorial Medical Center where he died Friday night. His name will be officially released by the medical examiner, but his family confirms him as Michael Habte, 21. He was Fedeli’s boyfriend.

Police said an acquaintance, possibly an ex-boyfriend, of Fedeli’s was identified as the potential suspect. He fled the scene of the crime, but was able to be “tracked via cell phone to Minneapolis,” said Sgt. Steve Palmquist of Brooklyn Park Police.

Officers located the suspect on the West Bank of the University of Minnesota on the Washington Avenue foot bridge, but when they approached him, he shot and killed himself. His identity will also be released at a later time by the medical examiner.

Chief Deputy Craig Enevoldsen of the Brooklyn Park Police Department confirmed that “everyone involved last evening did know one another, through their employment and potentially through a relationship.”

Festival Foods Vice President of Operations Tom Clasen called the incident a tragedy beyond comprehension.

“All three employees were in good standing employees with the company, and, as I am sure you can imagine, this adds to our sorrow at this time,” Clasen said.

Clasen said the company will offer counseling to employees who are grieving.

Andrew Hawkinson said he can’t find the words to express how he feels about losing Habte, his best friend.

“Who would do this to him? He never has any problems with people, he’s very personable, he never has any fights with anybody … That’s why it just blows my mind; it hasn’t sunk in yet,” Hawkinson said.

He described Habte as a man who loved working on cars and who had a close relationship with his mother.

“His motivation is really going to inspire me from now on,” Hawkinson said. “He always told me that I was going to be someone special. I kind of want to live up to that now. Do it for him.”

The Fedeli family released a statement Sunday morning asking for privacy during this time.

“An extraordinarily bright, beautiful, and loving part of our lives has been senselessly taken away from us. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank you for respecting our privacy as we grieve,” the statement said.

Festival Foods said the store will open again to customers Sunday morning at 8 a.m.

Comments

1. WCCO News Desk says:

If you have any information about the two homicide victims and would be willing to talk to WCCO-TV, please contact us at tips@wcco.com or call us at 612-330-2509. Thank you and we are so sorry for your loss ~WCCO-TV

1. jason p says:

Says the guy hiding behind a fake name

1. CJC says:

SORRY RUSTY< this was not a black crime, Such stereotyping ranting …….It just a very sad situation. It's called a domestic. Can and has happened anywhere.

2. Ven says:

Lets meet for coffee

2. Condolances says:

Rusty – Congratulations. I’m sure WCCO is just ensuring the information they get is factual and correct. Calm down and realize that this story is bigger than you.

My sympathies go out to the grieving family and friends of all involved.

3. Tammy says:

OMMGGGG MIke was the one who showed me where the straws were im serious!!!

2. Cindi says:

I was following this story last night and the posts from Amanda who was frantic in trying to find out if it was her sister that was shot. My prayers and sympathies go out to all.

1. Frank says:

What happened to last night’s posts??

1. anna says:

I think they are under the first story posted about this tragic event

3. Lisa says:

Does anyone know if the other victim (adult male) is one of the managers??

1. Ryan says:

I used to work there, both people shot were good friends of mine. The male who was shot worked in the produce department, but was not a manager.

1. Lisa says:

Thanks Ryan…
        I am so upset about this whole thing..it’s such a horrible thing. I’m lost for words, and sadden to hear about the innocent lives now gone.

4. Sam I am. says:

Probably not a good idea to put names up here. Respect peoples privacy.

1. Rachel says:

I disagree–especially since people are only using first names. The woman who was so desperate last night to get any info was PLEADING with locals to update her. The police were very late in getting her family the news they needed. I would agree with you if people were fully disclosing names (i.e. last names). And tragically, she learned the truth before anything had been confirmed. Would you rather wait, knowing a loved one had been injured/killed? I think people were very respecful and showed a ton of compassion for the woman needing info last night.

1. anna says:

I agree completely

5. Krystal says:

They’re all kids. I have friends that worked at that festival foods with them and were friends with both victims. It’s horrible.

1. mntom says:

they are not kids at that age, they are adults

6. ptsnowcarver says:

This is off subject but, I find it interesting that you can get more accurate information sooner reading the comment section than if you just read the story reported by WCCO. WCCO could just put up a headline and let people comment and they’d do a better job of covering a story. Think of the money they could save – no reporters to pay.

1. Rachel says:

From last night’s posting, I would have to agree with you. I guess CCO isn’t a 24 hour news site, because people were able to get more info off the KSTP site. This is a total tragedy, and I’m sorry for all concerned.

1. Wary Reader says:

I’m guessing the difference is that WCCO (and others like them) were waiting for not only CONFIRMATION of the facts from the authorities, but also waiting until proper notification could be given to the family members. Reading about the “possibility” of a loved one’s death on a comment section of a webpage is NOT how folks should get the news of a tragedy like this. Yes, it’s slower to wait for accurate information, but at least when the information comes, it’s been verified. My heart went out to the girl trying to find out about her sister last night, but I CRINGED thinking she might be getting HORRIBLE (and maybe wrong) information via the net. Remember folks, just because you read it on a comment section doesn’t mean it’s ACCURATE, it just means someone wrote it. In any event, my condolences to all those who are suffering in this terrible loss.

7. Krystal says:

They’re all employees

1. mntom says:

never ever turn your back on anyone, always be alert and proactive.

8. Dave Seavy says:

I don’t know wha it’s going to take to get these incidents to stop, but one thing’s for certain: this has become epidemic. When you start reading about a murder each week, it’s scary. When you read about two or three a day, it’s a signal that our society and social values have gotten to the point that life is no longer considered sacred. The common thread seems to be the notion that “If I can’t have what I want, somebody’s going to die.” This behavior used to be reserved for horror flicks and nightmares. That it has become reality is the worst nightmare possible.

1. mntom says:

it is the liberals fault and the gimme gimme atitude they have.

9. Q says:

Please have some respect for the victims’ families and friends who just lost people that they loved. It is not appropriate to be using names of people when there has been nothing confirmed.

1. A & N says:

We have lost 3 friends of ours and I am at a total loss for words! My deepest sympathies go out to all of the families and other friends of these wonderful young people. I just wish the gunman would’ve showed some sign that he was capable of doing something like this so he could’ve talked to someone instead of killing innocent young friends. All 3 of these people involved were “friends” in one way or another. So sad, it really is a terrible tragedy! All 3 of them had very bright futures ahead of them and were destined to do great things! I am truly sorry for the loss!

10. Melissa says:

I knew Abby very well. In fact I knew who all 3 of them were please have respect, and stop bashing Brooklyn Park.

11. Jake says:

There’s a special election in Brooklyn Park on April 30th. If you vote, choose your mext mayor wisely. As for bashing BP, I live here, I pay taxes here, and if they want praise from me, they will have to EARN IT. BP didn’t earn it’s reputation in a vacuum.

12. SK says:

I too followed as Abby’s sister tried to find anything out for sure. I think it is awful that for over 3 hours after she died, her family wasn’t told anything. I shop there often and I will certainly continue to do so. My heart goes out to all three of the families. May the memories of our loved ones be a comfort during this time. My thoughts and prayers are with those they left behind, both family and friends.

13. Jay says:

You know, normally I would agree with your cynical reply but not in this case. Most people who get shot in BP have it coming and as long as you abide by the law and stay out of other peoples business, you have nothing to worry about. These kids had stayed out of trouble, were working on a Friday night and had a bright future and their whole lives ahead of them. This store is a nice, clean, well kept store in a nice neighborhood. This could happen anywhere. It’s tragic. I’ve lived near and shopped at this store for the past 12 years. RIP Abby and Mike, we are going to miss you.

14. D says:

I have worked with them for a long time they were great people who will be greatly missed RIP

15. Jake says:

So my comment is awaiting ‘moderation’? OK, if you say so. FACT IS, most people and the cops knew almost immediately what the relationship was between the shooter and the two innocent victims, but chose not to disclose it. The public, IMO, has a vested interest in knowing at least some of the circumstances of the crime, so we know how alert we need to be. How would we know if there was another individual involved, who wasn’t caught or ID? In most other cases like this, if it is a disgruntled employee, that info is made public a lot sooner than it was in this case, and I would like to know why.

1. Melissa says:

Jake my thoughts exactly

16. CJC says:

SO SO SAD……Kids with such potential in life. HUG your kids and tell them you love them.

17. CJC says:

The shooter was Engineer student at the University of Minnesota. Such a loss of all three young adults.Peace and prayers go out to all three families.

18. Dude to U says:

I would like WCCO to take these message boards and have a moderator. Seems like what ever the story is that there seems to be a lot of bashing going on Name calling etc. etc. A lot of people on here get away from the facts or the story.
    My sympathy goes out to all involved .

1. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

Rusty – Censoring free speech is not illegal. On this web sight, since WCCO owns it, they can edit commentors content as much as they want. In fact I would argue they have a responsability to edit comments, especialy those not up to comunity standards as far as language goes. You want to post unedited? Start your own web site and put up whatever you want. THAT is free speech.

1. mntom says:

you mean whatever the liberals want puclished

2. rusty shakleford says:

My deepest apologies to everyone for the inaccurate comments I’ve posted here. Honestly I forgot to take my meds. Will try and prevent this in the future upon my releases. By the way, I’m very tall and can sit in any seat without a phonebook.

2. mntom says:

stop your liberal attitude, it is freedom of speech

19. Rusty Shakelford says:

BP CITIZEN
    Quit taking our tax dollars and claiming that the the TOWNS WE BUILT ARE YOURS!!! You are a visitor, a peasant living off of our scraps. Useless life, nobody cares about you besides your family.
    If you saw black kids robbing a white girl, you would not snitch, right?

1. BP citizen says:

Rusty I pay taxes like you and I pay my property taxes on the house I own in to the City of Brooklyn Park. You know nothing about me. You know nothing of my political affiliation, or my race for that matter. You live off my garbage, and you are a hate mongering asshole spreading uninformative one sided propaganda. It is people like you that are what’s wrong with this country. I actually donate alot to community out reach programs, and do the best I can to keep kids in school and out of trouble, which is more that you can say about yourself. Regardless of color If I saw any kids robbing anybody I would intervene or call the authorities. Go suck some more unemployment benefits out of our system, and then bitch about socialism. My city taxes and my donations make this MY city SCAB. You are a cowardly piece of shit. I agree in free speech just as much as anybody else, but this is not the forum for such, you Rusty are grandstanding and preaching your beliefs to stir the pot. The problem is that you are too chicken shit to stand out in public and really speak what you believe, I know too many individuals like you.

I am so sorry for the loss of these people due to senseless violence. My thoughts and prayers go out the families who have been stricken with the burden of grief.

2. A VERY UNRACIST WHITE GIRL says:

I can’t believe you!!!! Go live on a remote island where you don’t have to worry about “peasants living off our scraps.” Mike worked 2 jobs and is a college Graduate! He bought a house for he and his mom so she would have a nice place to live. He was a way better person than Aaron could ever even dream about being. You are cold and heartless! What nationality are you because unless you are full blooded American Indian you are not originally from here either!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Jay says:

@Sharon…most bullets that fly hit their intended targets. If you’re afraid of Brooklyn Park then you must have a valid reason so please, keep staying away and all will be fine. To everyone else who are normal, civil, law abiding citizens, you have nothing to worry about. Brooklyn Park is the 7th largest city in MN with many different ethnic groups represented. It’s no different than living in any other big city in the United States. If you feel like your community doesn’t have any crime and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, just wait, you’re in for a rude awakening, it’s just a matter of time.

21. liz says:

does anyone know the name of the shooter?

22. Cindi says:

This isn’t about racism or about violence in Brooklyn Park. It’s about the tragic loss of 3 young people’s lives and the families and friends that are left behind to grieve.. I hope none of the families are reading these posts and the senseless ramblings that have nothing to do with this tragedy.But if they are my prayers and sympathies to all the famillies and friends of these young people.

23. fed up says:

And why is that? What part of BP do you live in? The part of BP that I LIVE IN is going down the tubes, in part due to the trash moving in. BTW, for the leftys claiming my previous statement is racist, I ask how? I said nothing about race in my comment, the trash refers to the “gangster” types showing up more and more in my neighborhood, and they come in all colors, hence, I’m not shocked that a shooting happened in BP, Maybe in this particular circumstance it is surprising, but a shooting in BP in general is not.

24. fed up says:

@BP CITIZEN: And why is that? What part of BP do you live in? The part of BP that I LIVE IN is going down the tubes, in part due to the trash moving in. BTW, for the lefty’s claiming my previous statement is racist, I ask how? I said nothing about race in my comment, the trash refers to the “gangster” types showing up more and more in my neighborhood, and they come in all colors, hence, I’m not shocked that a shooting happened in BP, Maybe in this particular circumstance it is surprising, but a shooting in BP in general is not.

25. Jamie says:

I worked with all 3 of these people for many years. It’s so hard to believe something like this could happen in our small store. We are all like family to each other. Abby and Mike will be greatly missed! I’ll miss the funny conversations and their laughter the most. Please be respectful to those of us that have just lost our friends. May you both rest in peace now.❤

26. fed up says:

My comment about my lack of surprise gets deleted? Crazy. I guess I should elaborate. After seeing the way the city I LIVE IN, BROOKLYN PARK, is getting over the past few years, I’m not surprised to hear about a shooting here. The circumstances in this case are surprising, but not a shooting in BP.

27. JKB says:

This was a tragic crime taking the lives of THREE children of parents that loved them, extended family members, and friends that cared very much for each one. Yet, a good many of the comments posted are negative. What has happened to society when we can say nothing good? Have parents failed so badly in their responsibility to teach you sympathy, empathy, and how to deal with your emotions and anger as a child? None of these things come instilled in us at birth, you HAVE to be TAUGHT! My heart breaks for not only these needless deaths, but all the others as well. Some of you have no conception as to what is right or wrong, what is proper behavior, or acceptable, when dealing with anothers pain. Its no wonder our country is in the dire shape its in. A large majority have put themselves first and foremost, and screw all others. You THINK your comments, although negative, hurtful, and rude, should be heard. Funny, those comments are dismissed and prove you are not intelligent enough to be respectful of others feelings, just to satisfy your own selfish need.

28. WCCO News Desk says:

We are still looking for any of Abby’s friends who would be willing to talk on camera. Yesterday, we spoke to Mike’s best friend and learned more about him and we’d like to do the same for Abby. If you are willing to share with us, please email us at tips@wcco.com or call the newsdesk at 612-330-2509

29. Melissa says:

Wow this is getting out of hand This is not a racial crime. It was a Domestic crime. It was a jealous ex BF name Aaron or Erin not sure of the spelling. He went after and shot his innocent intended targets Abby and Mike😦 He was jealous that Abby and Mike were dating from the sounds of it, and from what other current employees have told me that I know. I knew all 3 of them the victims and the shooter. It is very sad that 3 lives were lost due to a jealous rage with bullets from a gun. My heart goes out to the families and friends and coworkers of all 3 of them. Brooklyn Park is not all about crime at all crime happens everywhere weather you know it or not it happens. Crime is not able to be avoided, but in this case like I said it’s not racial it was domestic and it ended tragically and with sadness and sorrow.

30. The Truth says:

Mark my words Brooklyn Park will be the next North Minneapolis in a few years, Brooklyn Center is a few steps ahead as of current. Anyone that can’t accept this is totally blind to their environment.

31. A BP resident says:

I do agree Brooklyn Park’s crime rate has gone up drastically over the last decade and so has Brooklyn Center. I am moving out of this area where crime is much lower, but it’s not because of this that I am moving at all it is because of family that is ill and I need to be closer to them. I actually don’t mind my neighborhood here I have come to accept that things happen. a city or small town can seem like it’s heaven then bam all the sudden this happens in your area and it’s a major shock to the community because nobody expected it to happen in the “good” part of the city. That is exactly the case here. The general area within 4 miles around Festival Foods is a fairly good area. No it’s not 1005 crime free, but it’s not known for it’s crime either. Those of you saying that it is all about the crime I agree to a certain extent, but in this situation you are dead wrong. It was not all about crime here. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and views of this situation though I just hope you all have a heart and see that two peoples lives were take that were innocent Friday night, and one life was taken I believe out of guilt for what he had just done.

32. Melissa says:

Holy smokes these comments need to be checked over and some even deleted geez. This is a tragic event discussion not a sling poo at each other message board.

33. Grieving friend says:

@ WCCO news desk
    The reason you are having a difficult time locating any of Abby’s good friends to talk about this terrible tragedy & the loss of someone they loved very much is because they are respecting her family’s privacy. We are grieving the loss of these beautiful young people. All you need to know about her is that she was a beautiful, precious & sweet young lady who loved her family & her friends. Please respect the families as they mourn the loss of their children.
    Thank you.

34. babs says:

I shopped often at the Brooklyn Park Festival. Although I did not know Abby, I saw Mike often. He was always pleasant and quick to offer a smile and any help that you might need.

These young adults were as full of promise as any young adults you would find anywhere.

Enough of the Brooklyn Park bashing. I know that the city is known for having problems with crime….but it is also home to thousands of good people – wanting the same things out of life as people anywhere!

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

1. Melissa says:

It’s nice to see another Brooklyn Park resident that feels the same way I do that yes there is crime, but also thousands of good people here as well.

35. Andy says:

Wow. Whenever I wonder how our country could have fallen as far as it has, I have only to review the staggeringly ignorant, racist, and offensive comments in this post to remind myself.

36. A&N says:

I would like to know why they haven’t released Aaron’s name yet officially? I want everyone to know who he is!! I think what he did was cruel and heartless… I used to think he was a good kid. My fiance worked with him for several years and he seemed “normal”. (whatever that is) Mike was one of the best!!! He has spent the night at our house, up all night playin video games! He was so genuine! His Momma raised him right! I just can’t say enough good things about him. I didn’t know Abby, but from what my fiance tells me she was a total sweetheart, and a great person to work with! Release Aaron’s name officially please!!! We all know he did it!

1. Andy says:

And what gets accomplished once everyone knows who he is? What then? He’s dead. His family is probably already being besieged by hatred for something they didn’t condone or facilitate. The name will get released and when it does, they’ll be at the business end of a whole new wave of bigotry and mindless hatred. Hate on the shooter all you want but have a touch of sympathy for his family who are grieving, humiliated, and no doubt repentant for something they didn’t do. You said yourself that “we all know he did it.” Fine. So what? I’m sure you’re hurting about the loss of your friends but try to have some respect.

37. Rusty Shakelford_ says:

38. Rusty_Shakleford says:

You’re all way too liberal and must ride bicycles. I’m very tall and can sit in any seat without a phonebook.

39. Long time BP resident says:

Why haven’t they released the name of the person yet? I am more curious as to the “why” of this than I am about the actual person now.

40. M&E says:

The shooter was Aaron Parson his name has been released. It just was not released here yet. It was release on the channel 5 news website just saying that yes it is released for those of you wondering who he was He was an Ex of Abby’s there is also more info on the story there as well.

1. Long TIme BP Resident says: