2-Year-Old Girl Struck By Suspected Drunk Driver

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — St. Paul Police arrested a 52-year-old man, who is suspected of driving drunk and hitting a 2-year-old girl with his car on Sunday.

Hamjatta Fofana was arrested on suspicion of criminal vehicular operation after he allegedly showed signs of alcohol impairment. Officers say Fofana initially stopped after he struck the child, which happened around 4 p.m. Sunday at an apartment building located on the 1300 block of Conway Street. However, he took off before police arrived on scene.

The girl, Rosie Ortega, was said to be conscious and breathing when officers arrived and was taken to Regions Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Officer John Keating, spokesman for the St. Paul Police, said the parents gave police Fofana’s license plate number and a description of his car. They located the vehicle parked down the street, at another apartment building, and arrested Fofana.

Keating said he refused a preliminary breath test, but a blood draw was sent to the BCA lab for testing.

1. Big Tough Boss Tony says:

No harm no foul! Time to get tough on the real vicious criminals and predators.

1. Sarah in Outstate MN says:

What? Harm was done she had injuries, non life threatening, but still injuries.

2. Sandy Berger says:

What? No harm no foul? I guess it takes someone to get killed by a drunk driver- which happens too many times every year, before we cry foul? Not in my book. Throw the book at him, before he does kill someone from driving drunk, which you know he will do again, sadly- (that is drive drunk- I hope he doesn’t kill anyone).

3. Buford T Justice says:

What’s a 2 year old doing in the road unsupervised anyhow?

1. nate says:

Sounds like it happened in the parking lot of the complex and not in the street but still it’s a real good question. Unless the child was “escaping” as many small children do (mine are no exception) and could’ve ran out between cars and far enough in the main driving area. But either way Feefifofana needs to get whats coming to him as hard as possible.

2. Sarah in Outstate MN says:

She was supervised since the article states that her parents were able to get his license plate number. They gave it to the police and the police tracked him down. If the little girl was outside unsupervised how would her parents be able to write down the license plate?

4. Artist says:

Where were mom and dad?

5. JamieinMN says:

Poor little girl. It’s possible the parents were supervising her and the child darted out in front of the car. I can tell you how many times this has happened to me. Don’t be so quick to judge/blame the parents. Let’s just be thankful that the girl is OK and that muther fu**er is behind bars.

1. JamieinMN says:

2. Sarah in Outstate MN says:

This has happened to me too. All it takes is for me to turn my back to check on one of the my other kids and my middle one has escaped. Some of these kids are very quick!

Also, I was hit by a car when I was about 6 because I crossed the street and didn’t look. I only suffered from a broken leg.Thankfully, this little girl has non-life threatening injuries.

6. Clint Make My Day says says:

just shoot the SOB and be done. And any other person charged with injury/bodily harm done to another. Shoot them or I am willing to.
    And any drunk regardless – a year in jail, no exceptions, the fricken very first time.
    End this BS on the roads. End it