Porky’s Building To Be Moved, Restored

By Bruce Hagevik, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Porky’s Drive-In will not be torn down. Instead the red and white checkered building will be moved from its University Avenue location in St. Paul to the Little Log House Pioneer Village about seven miles south of Hastings.

“We’ll put it back to original and we’re going to have it so people can actually go inside of it and view it and take a look at how it was put together” said Steve Bauer, owner of Pioneer Village.

WCCO’s Bruce Hagevik Interviews Steve Bauer

Most of the items inside the 58-year-old restaurant were sold through an on-line auction, but there are plans to bring back the 50’s feel.

“We’re also going to probably try to fill it up with a lot of memorabilia of back to the 50’s,” Bauer said.

The famous Porky’s sign is not part of the deal.

The land has been sold to a neighboring senior housing developer.

Comments

1. Swamp Rat says:

Why couldn’t the MN Historical Society or the St.Paul preservationists have done something? Mr. Bauer of Hastings came to the rescue but it’s a true loss to the Metro community to be in Hastings. What shame the the local do-gooders and the Porky’s owners couldn’t have save the place for St.Paul!

1. would not get to much support I suspect says:

The real question is so much simpler Swamp – how come those that supposedly were the supporters of the place – how come they didn’t patronize it enough to keep it a viable business??????

While I hate to see any business leave I also detest funding all the programs to retain everyones “wants” when I’m strapped enough already with tax bills.
      I hope they suceed – might be a niche for them there. If gas prices don’t keeping going straight up that is.

2. Tom Olson says:

The sign can be replicated, so whats the big deal.

3. mark says:

Historical Society or preservationists???? Thats all we need is the environmentalists trying to save something as dumb as the stillwater lift bridge!! Who cares, they sold it and it’s gone!

1. Swamp Rat says:

Dumb, remarks! Don’t you care about leaving some legacy of this society for the future to see &/or reflect about?

4. Rob says:

You do realize, Mark, that preservationists are not necessarily environmentalists, right? I mean you can be an environmental preservationist but they wouldn’t be interested in Porky’s, unless Porky’s is an old growth forest or an endangered bird. Moron.

5. Tim says:

Hastings?, why bother, they may as well move it to Alaska as far away as its moving, by the time they get done it would have been easier and cost less to take pictures and build a replca of it.

6. Dave says:

I guess I have to commend the guy for saving the building, but there will be NO CHANCE for any of the traditional cruising activities to happen at the new location so, as far as I’m concerned, Porky’s, and what made it special, is still dead and gone. The new owner is probably going to park of couple of rusty non-running mid ‘50s sedans in front of it and expect people to get excited about that. From what I can tell of the place’s web site, it’s only open to the general public one weekend a year.

I wonder who got the sign? It probably went for a pretty penny on its own.

7. andy1300 says:

They auctioned it off, got a little over 5 grand for it.

1. Giesla says:

The family kept the external signs. The sign you’re thinking of was the neon sign that was inside the building. None of the outside fixtures were part of the auction

8. Michele says:

Waste of Money to save the building, I agree with Tim, take pictures and build a replica if you want to or as others have said it’s sold and gone get over it.

9. weee says:

Big deal that place was a death trap and a fire hazard,it had to go!

10. Angel Stetts says:

I do agree that moving it to Hastings as an “attractrion” is dumb, but it’s a nice thought. I have many meories with my Dad there and I will miss it, but I’m sure I wont go down and see it in Hastings. I think, for me, it was the combo of Porkys, the food and University as a group, not the building. I loved going there to watch the cruising and hang out with my friends, and I would hit there for a burger sometimes too So it is sad to see it go, but it was a blast up til the last night!