Bill Would Limit Use Of Public Employee Dues

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota lawmaker wants to block public employees’ union dues from going to support political activity, foundations and magazines unless employees ask to contribute to those items.

A Senate state government panel postponed action Monday on the bill from Republican Sen. Pam Wolf of Spring Lake Park until after the Legislature returns from a weeklong break.

Wolf says her proposal isn’t anti-union but meant to give union members more control over dues deducted from their paychecks.

Wolf, a teacher who belongs to the Education Minnesota union, says about $60 of roughly $400 she pays in dues end up going to political action committees, foundations and publications.

Her bill would stop that unless an employee made a request in writing.

Comments

1. dan says:

Letting Union members speak for themselves is a novel idea. Not sure why anyone would want someone else speaking for them and spending their money.

1. hard working STate worker says:

I agree with the legislators on this one. I have a hard time with them taking my money and contributing to causes they see fit. It is high time for state union worker;s to have a say in how the money is spent. Better yet I would like to see the legislators craft a bill to give the state workers to option not to pay union dues! That would be 30.00 a month I could just as easily use to gas my car up to go to work.

2. Tom says:

The companion bill would be to not let corporations do the same without the blessings of the shareholders..
    @Dan union leadership is elected. They speak for the membership like members of government do for the people.

1. tcruwithme says:

Good point, Tom. It should be a written authorization, just like in the mentioned anti-union bill.

2. Hard working state worker 2 says:

I agree with hard working state worker and Dan. I am a state worker my self and every time i get a union magazine it just turns my stomach. I can spend the money in a much better place… Tom.. The union leaders do not speak for me. It’s just want my money just so they can have a 2ND income. They are no better then the politicians in the capital.

3. cjf says:

Union dues are not supposed to be used for PAC. Only private donations or funds raised by outside activities are for PAC money. She’s got it all wrong.

4. truth hurts says:

They will never be a companion bill as it would hurt Pam Wolf of Spring Lake Park.

5. MAJ says:

I have a daughter who is a teacher and a Republican and she is not happy her dues helped elect Mark Dayton. cjf maybe should do a bit of investigating before posting.

1. What says:

MAJ: Your daughter should take a pay cut and and be dropped from all district benefits. Without the teacher’s union she wouldn’t be getting the pay and benefits she is currently receiving. Your daughter is benefitting, while she complains! NICE!!!! Clean out your basement because it looks like your daughter may move back in with you before this all shakes out!

2. fAT Chick says:

I work for Target and I don’t want the CEO giving money to Tom Emmers campaign. So if I don’t like it I can QUIT.

The Republican teacher should Just Quit because she’s filling our children’s heads with more BS. She ought to get her head out of her ass and understand that Dayton is doing her a favor.

6. Rusty Shackelford says:

If you were good skilled workers, you wouldn’t need a union for security. You are all bums and are not hireable, I guarantee it.

1. No more Union TRASH says:

Rusty you hit the nail on the head, These unions will be the down fall of this great nation

7. What says:

8. mary mary says:

BULL SHIP deal …. the Supreme Court let’s corporations contribute to political contributions and then politicians limit unions. NOVEL SHIRT