5-Year-Old Dies On Make-A-Wish Trip To Disney

DILWORTH, Minn. (AP) — A 5-year-old northwestern Minnesota boy, born with numerous congenital birth defects, has died on a Make-A-Wish trip to Disney World in Florida.

Daytyn Hart enjoyed four days at Disney World, swimming and visiting the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Cocoa Beach. He died Friday at a hospital in Orlando, Fla. His father, Desi Hart, says he and his wife, Angie, discussed the trip with Daytyn’s doctors and everyone agreed he was healthy and able to make the trip.

The boy had more than 55 surgeries and procedures in his short lifetime. He spent the first seven months in the hospital after he was born with a long list of birth defects.

Angie Hart tells The Forum that even with all the medical problems, her son never complained about anything.

1. Nancy Aleshire says:

At least his last moments on earth was spent with family doing the thing he wanted to do the most. Now Daytyn Hart received his final reward, permanently residing in heaven where there are no wheelchairs and suffering. My prayers are with the family.

2. red says:

I am happy to hear your son was able to go to Disney and have a joyous time in his short life before he passed. sorry for your loss

3. whatever says:

What better way for a child to spend the last few days.

4. BMW says:

What a way to go…hope he went to Disney Heaven.

5. Gramps prays says:

My prayers go out to the family and to the spirit this couragous young man who obviously endured so much in such a short life.

I hope the trip was magical for him and he left this place with an internal smile.
    God Bless and God Speed Daytyn!

6. Touching says:

This is such a beautiful but sad story. My thoughts are prayers go out to his family as I could never imagine what they are going through. How wonderful this boy got to spend his last days just enjoying life. RIP.

7. Linda Tiggy Cotten-kurtz says:

awesome that he got to spend his last days at disney..my prayers and thoughts go out to his family

8. Mark Lavalla says:

I need to remember this story about this little boy the next time I have a silly little complaint about my very fortunate life.

1. hoover says:

I so agree with you Mark – keeps it all in perspective!

9. Roger says:

He’s at peace now and you will see him again. Even if the pain is great the joy you will have when your reunited will be greater!

10. heather says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family. May God bring you peace and comfort in your time of loss.

11. Zee says:

Amazing what this family has endured. As Mark indicated, this story really puts things in perspective.

My thoughts and prayers go out to this family. May God bless your memories of your little boy.

12. JLD says:

A bittersweet story for sure; all my best for peace now and in the future to this brave little man’s loved ones.

13. Rick0822 says:

Very sad that such a young life has to be cut short, but an amazing way to go on to a better life. God bess the family, you are in my thoughts.

14. Michele says:

This brave little boy has taught all of us some very valuable lessons:
    1. live life to the fullest
    2. don’t complain
    3. love your family
    4. give your loved ones a hug today and tell them that you love them and mean it everyday.
    God bless Daytyn and his family.

15. budwaffles says:

Today Daytyn is walking with Jesus.

16. sandy says:

God bless this boy and the Make a Wish Foundation!

17. William K says:

Please Hatfield … in the spirit of things just let it go. Thanks

1. Mitchell says:

Let what go? It’s a tragic story, but the facts are wrong. This kid DID NOT die at Disney World like the article suggests. That’s a big enough difference that should be addressed. Of course, it sounds more interesting to suggest he died at Disney World. Irresponsible reporting is how WCCO does business anyways.

1. Chris Y says:

I was thinking the same thing, Mitchell. What a misleading title. I do not want to take away anything from the poor child’s passing, but shame on WCCO for trying to stir up controversy with that title. Disney World had nothing to do with his passing.

2. Nicole says:

I don’t see where you read that he died at Disney World. It does say he died while on a trip to Disney, it clearly says he died at a hospital in Orlando.

18. kim says:

How sad at least he got to spend some days having fun in Disney.

19. lauren says:

Thoughts and prayers with the family. so very sorry for your loss a child should never have to endure what your son did. secondly hatfield while that was an interesting set of words you chose to put past your lips and gums it’s very pathetic to focus on the location this child passed. next time do the world a favor and keep your small minded perspective to yourself and look at the bigger picture. and before you decide to open your mouth with some witty come back re-read the title of the article carefully.

20. James Darius says:

I’m so sorry for the boy and his family…. My heart goes out to them all. I couldn’t even imagine how horrible pain that the child, and his family have gone through. Both physical and emotional. I’m so sorry for them. God bless. They are all in my prayers…

21. Kristen says:

Praying for your family. I am so thankful for the Make-A-Wish Foundation and what they have done in my life and my family’s as well. What an amazing son you have. God bless you.

22. grateful 1 says:

Thank God for my healty child and Thank God for this little boy

23. christy says:

so sad but happy… i want to take my daughter to disney before her next heart surgery . but at the same time i would like to wait til shes a little older. shes 2 1/2 now. her next surgery will be right after her 3rd birthday… what would you suggest?