Twins Blog: Blaming The Trees

By Mike Binkley, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Somewhere in the Minnesota State Park system, there are some black spruce trees growing in a much more natural environment – wide open fields, fresh air and wildlife.

They spent last spring, summer and fall planted in a glitzy new ball field in downtown Minneapolis surrounded by bright lights, beer and loud music.

Then, major league players blamed them for their hitting troubles – calling the trees a distraction. Well, their former spot in center field is now empty and the back wall is a solid black, so you would expect to see some more offense at Target Field this season.

If not, you can’t blame the trees.

Comments

1. Chris Beckstead says:

This is a total knock-off (borderline plagiarism) of the first part of a Jim Souhan startrib article, of several weeks ago (April 11th)

1. Mike Binkley says:

Hi Chris,
      Your message caused me to search online and find the article you referred to: a fictitious letter from the trees to the Twins. I hadn’t read it before, but I’ll admit that Mr. Souhan’s version of the same thought was much more creative. Thanks for the feedback.

2. Andrew Johnson says:

The two articles have similar subject matter and kinda run in the same vein….but I think you got a bit ambitious when you called it a “total knock-off” and went as far to claim it as borderline plagiarism. I think you need to look up exactly what plagiarism is….cause it wasn’t even close, and that is kinda a serious allegation to make against a reporter.

And Mike you’re right….the other guy’s article was more creative & entertaining…sorry, just being honest.

2. MARK says:

I can’t believe that the Twins listened to these whining players about the trees. A distraction? Please. I for one think the outfield looked a lot better with the trees. As for them being a distraction, I can’t imagine a more ridiculous complaint. If I’m wrong the Twins should start launching home runs out of there on a much more regular basis. But I’m not going to be holding my breath.

3. Tim B says:

I’ve played at a ballpark for years with evergreen trees behind the outfield fence and I never even remember the trees blowing around so much that it would affect a batter. I never heard a comment from any player saying the evergreen trees move too much and this is an OPEN AIR field. Target field is open air stadium thousands of feet above those trees. Come on you Twins players making excuses. It’s all in your head.
    The black batters eye now took alot away from the good looks of target Field.

1. WHAT????? says:

Maybe that is why they are “distracting” players, but I would have thought that at the pro level you would be watching the ball and not the blowing trees.

4. zee the reporter says:

players need a tree up the ass! get to work! zee reporting in!

1. Melvin says:

nice job reporting zee, always look forward to your comments on a dailly basis

5. Richard in Minneapolis says:

I think that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.
    A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;
    A tree that looks at God all day,
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
    A tree that may in summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;
    Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
    Who intimately lives with rain.
    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only God can make a tree.
    – Joyce Kilmer

6. BringBackTrees says:

Bring back the trees. Don’t let this turn into a Cubs-type curse.

7. Timster says:

I think that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree.
    A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
    Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;
    A tree that looks at God all day,
    And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
    A tree that may in summer wear
    A nest of robins in her hair;
    Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
    Who intimately lives with rain.
    Poems are made by fools like me,
    But only Jim Thome can hit a homer against a backdrop of trees.
    – Ron Gardenhire