Woman, 19, Fighting For Life After Minneapolis Shooting

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A 19-year-old girl, shot in the head in Minneapolis Monday night, is fighting for her life. Her friends call her “Jay,” and right now they are praying for a miracle.

Tomika Swoope was shot close to her home near the 3200 block of Columbus Avenue.

“She didn’t deserve to lose her life at age 19, nobody deserves to lose their life and my best friend didn’t deserve it at all,” said friend Delia Spencer.

Spencer was with Tomika just before she got shot. The two went a corner store, bought some goodies and left. Tomika headed home and Delia got on a bus.

“Five minutes later, I got the news that she has got shot,” said Spencer.

Tomika was a few feet from her house when she was shot just above her left eyebrow.

Neighbors say gangs have been feuding in the area. Tomika was wearing red at the time of the shooting and could have been mistaken for a Blood.

“I don’t think my best friend is that type,” said Spencer.

Tomika graduated from MERC Alternative High School last year. She liked to play sports. Basketball and football were her favorites. She also had dreams of going to college and wearing a uniform.

“She wanted to be a police officer,” said Spencer.

However, as Tomika fights for her life, that dream is now just a distant memory.

“If she tells God that she wants to go home, then that’s her. I’ll be there on her side while she does it,” said Spencer.

Police haven’t release much information. They haven’t commented on whether this is gang-related. They have no suspects in custody.

Sonya Goins, Producer
Contact Sonya

Comments

1. Judy says:

VERY tragic! Another incident where an innocent victim is either disabled, or loses their life. My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends.

2. sad one says:

keep fighting Tomika.

3. anna says:

I will keep Tomika in my prayers.

4. iknowwhatwecoulddo says:

gur

5. Evangelist says:

Regardless of the family background this young woman doesn’t deserve to die because of some ignorance that is taking place in her neighborhood. I pray for her in Jesus name.

6. Sam Jones says:

People let’s be real – it was gang related. I feel really bad for the family but until we admit that there is a gang problem; nothing will be done. I can’t stand it when people say that the victims were not in a gang and in reality they were. Until we face the problem – nothing will be solved. So many people that were killed were supposedly not in a gang – come on people lets get real. We have a serious epidemic in our community.

1. Sam Jones says:

Watch within a week or more, someone else will be shot in retaliation. These kids are desensitized and do not know the depth of their actions.

2. RACHEL CONLEY says:

I DON’T KNOW THE GURL BUT I KNOW OF HER AND SHE WAS NOT IN A GANG SO SAM THAT IS NOT TRUE, RITE ON HERE WHAT YOU KNOW. TO JAY AND FAM AND FRIEND’S I PRAYED FOR ALL LAST NITE AND I HOPE SHE PULL’S THRU AND THAT SHE DON’T HAVE TO LEAVE US TO SOON. ALL WE GOT TO DO GUY’S IS JUST BE BY HER SIDE AND PRAY FOR HER. JAY WE ALL LOVE YOU AND PLEASE WAKE UP FOR US AND SAY I’M HERE AND ALIVE…..

7. Chris says:

First this was a tragic event and I hope she can survive and live a good life.

2nd-Sorry, but it seems pretty gang related. Do you see how much red she was wearing? Flamed up like that. You apparently have to watch your colors in Minnesota just like California.

I want to say that she was not in a gang based on statements of those who know her, but still the motive behind it was almost 100% gang related.

8. Yeah Right! says:

While innocent bystanders do get shot, I KNOW she is NOT the angel that WCCO has made her to be. WCCO can create any fairy tale they want, but it isn’t correct.

9. Chris says:

This is like a case in Denver a couple years back. A young man who was a good kid, with solid grades, and was not involved in a gang was shot for wearing blue by some gang members for no other reason. Sad, but parents we are failing ourselves and our kids.

10. Get a clue says:

She looks really upstanding. No way she was in a gang or any way related with a gang. I and everyone I know dress like that every day. Just another sweet little girl. WCCO is a joke, thanks for the honest reporting.

11. bubbles says:

Jay was really sweet nice and always did was right Jay loved kids and would never hurt anyone. and for Sam to say that about her with knowing her thats really nun call for Sam.. and it seems like know and day we have to watch what colors we wear when we are on the street.. and thats reallt sad… how ppl like you sam would say that about Jay

12. Minnesotan says:

I am shocked at how many people are making up their own assumptions about who this girl is and what her background might be without knowing anything about her. Give her the benefit of the doubt, and be respectful. My prayers and thoughts go out to the family and friends. My cousin was shot in the head as a teenager, and survived. He lives a full life now without any limitations- miracles do happen.

13. Not surprised says:

I remember this girl from when I lived in that neighborhood and I am not surprised to hear this happened to her. Sad, but not surprising.
    Luckily, my mother had the sense to get me out of there before it was too late.

14. bubbles says:

Not surprised you shouldnt say that about her. what you just said is nun called for… ppls like you make me sick…

15. Teacher says:

Wow…..well I do know her and very well….I was one of her teachers and have known her 12 years of her life…..if u have time to write negative comments on here please pray instead….cause this teacher’s heart is breaking for a wonderful student, neighbor and friend of mine. I love u tomika and am praying for u in Jesus name!

1. funnyrabbit says:

bubbles and Teacher must be the same person since they both like to use……..instead of one period at the end of sentences.

16. bubbles says:

@SAM, If this was a gang related problem it does not mean Jay was in a gang. She just happen to be wearing Red. Just think, if YOU were wearing red, black, brown etc. and you got shot… does that mean you were in a gang??

@funnrabbit, No we are not the same person.

17. Troubled says:

Well i know a girl that says that shes best friends with her, and she said that they were going to pull the plug at 6pm tonight…..
    People should pray for her.. I know i will.. To her family and close friends i hope she wakes up, because nobody deserves to die..