DeBlog: Who Gives A Royal $#!^ About The Royal Wedding?

By Jason DeRusha, WCCO-TV

Are you waking up early Friday morning? Do you have royal wedding fever? I want to know why.

CBS News starts coverage at 3 a.m. on WCCO. The wedding starts at 5 a.m., and should be done by 6:15 a.m. So if you want to see the dramatic first kiss, that’ll be around 6, I’m guessing. Go ahead and sleep in.

According to my friend Ben Tracy, two billion people are expected to watch this thing on TV. Two billion!

There are 7,000 media people (including Ben) in London for the exciting “I do.”

But why? The royals don’t have any real power in England, as far as I can tell. The idea of a royal family seems a little outdated. So what’s the big deal? Why are so many people fascinated by the royals?

I’ll use your answers in my Good Question tonight at 10!

More from Jason DeRusha
Comments

1. Kacey says:

I think part of it is because Kate is actually living a somewhat Cinderalla story. Also, for these two, a big reason is because of Princess Diana’s legacy, and seeing the young man that William has become since we watched him walk behind his mother’s casket.

2. JamieinMN says:

YES I will wake up early in the AM. To watch a wedding that does NOT impact my life in any sort of way????? Hellllll no. I’ll be getting up early in the AM to go to WORK.

3. tball says:

To me, it isn’t about power or popularity. To me it is a chance to see a beautiful wedding. Its interesting to see her dress, his expressions and to actually see the fariy tale wedding Disney claims can happen to anyone.

4. Kiplinger Charleston says:

Of course lowly Minnesotans lack the sophistication and culture necessary to appreciate the divinely refined British Culture. Roll along now to your trailer parks and fast food restaurants…jk, but seriously, you Minnesotans are a nice simple people, I love it here.

1. Get your teeth fixed Kiplinger says:

Yes, because all Englanders are so proper and have such wonderful teeth! Yuck. And yes, I’ve been there and that’s how I know. More white trash and more snaggle tooth snoggers in London than any trailer park here…

5. Bobby says:

I’m with you Jason…ZERO interest in this. I had ZERO interest in Princess Diana also…Why anyone would care at all about this overhyped rich kid getting married is beyond me.

6. Jonny Imperial says:

It’s the fantastical effects of Disney.

7. Rebecca says:

I love British history from the time of the Anglo-Saxon kings such as Alfred the Great to the present. This family has had over a thousand years a main role in the British social and political structure. I’m watching the wedding to get my history fix- as a Anglo-phile I can’t resist seeing Westminister abbey. As humans we are just so drawn to the cult of celebrity. You have to admit Jason that compared the Jersey shore folks or the Kardashian clain – these people seem a bit more human and interesting. Besides can’t it even compare to the Brett Favre/Viking drama of the last two years? At least we know what the end result will be- two people in love engaging vows. Everybody loves a happy event and this on such a grand scale!!

1. Jason DeRusha says:

Rebecca- I totally agree with you here! I admit to be a little interested.

8. Bruce Nelson says:

In my opinion, Americans are fascinated with the idea of royalty. We have this ideal vision of the Disneyesque princess lifestyle and want to experience it the only way we can, vicariously through the filtered lense of television.

9. Alexandra says:

I do not understand the fascination with the royal wedding. It seems as though everyone around me is downloading a program and setting their alarms for 4AM to wake up and watch. One person I talked to said that it is the only really big worldwide event that isn’t about violence, death, or politics lately, and that is a big deal to them. I can sympathize with that, but I still won’t be watching the wedding. It isn’t a cinderella story; it is a huge use of resources that could, frankly, probably be better spent. Plus who wants two billion people at their wedding? Yikes!

10. JKB says:

This wedding is supposedly going to cost the Brits $500 million that they dont have! Their country isnt any better off than we are financially, yet, royalty gets what they want all on the back of their citizens. I watch Princess Di’s wedding but wont waste my time or support this poorly timed event.

1. JKB=liar says:

You are wrong. The royal family and the Middleton family are paying the entire bill. 10 million, not 500 million. Excessive? YES! But at least tell the truth when you are going to put somebody down. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it, but don’t make things up.

11. Jon says:

I don’t care at all and am looking forward to the media coverage of them dying down. I really don’t need to see a bunch of rich people who were born into it living a glamorous life while I am sitting here working 8-4:30 for a meager wage and being told I am lucky.

1. Green Eyed Monster showing?? says:

Yet, ironically, you are here commenting about it. If you really didn’t care, you wouldn’t even have read the article.

12. Hmm says:

Considering they had broken up once already before I kind of think this will end the same way Charles and Dianna ended minus the death part.

1. DavidH says:

Why “minus the death part?” Once the new Princess produces a suitable Royal male heir, she’ll be as useless as “Di.” And then she’ll “Di” in some convenient way also. Sorry to cast a pall over this glorious event, but history shows the true colors of British Royalty.

13. Therese S. says:

I woke up early 30 years ago to watch Charles and Diana’s wedding…i’ll do the same this year…big difference is ths time I will TIVO the wedding and watch it later in the day.

14. Zann says:

YES!!!!!! I have to tape it since I’m working at 4:30am but I cannot wait to watch it. Her dress will be beautiful like her. They are so in love and it’s nice to see after what Prince William has been thru. I still remember watching him walk behind his mother’s casket. That had to be SO hard. He’s grown into a wonderful man that Diana can be proud of!

15. Brittney says:

Speaking as someone who works in the wedding industry, we know that the Royal Wedding is going to set trends industry wide with everything from gowns to decor. Designers the world over are going to be releasing gowns that mimic Kate’s style and because she is already a such trend-setter with her modern, sophisticated look, her wedding gown is going to cause quite the frenzy in the fashion industry. People have been fascinated with public figures for a long time and to witness such a momentous event as it happens is reality television at it’s finest. And let’s be honest, it’s a modern-day, real life fairytale. Hopeless romantics, such as myself, are sighing everywhere………

16. MommyLisa says:

I woke up for Diana’s wedding to Prince Charles and was ECSTATIC when Prince William was born on my birthday….

You might as well ask why we care about Vampires or Lindsay Lohan. It’s interesting because they are pretty people with a VERY different life from us.

1. Bobby says:

Another good question…why would anyone care about Lindsay Lohan?

1. DavidH says:

“Shallow” comes to mind.

17. Rachel says:

Won’t it be rerun over and over and over again? I did wake up early to watch Princess Di marry Chuck, but I don’t think it’s necessary since I assume there will be footage repeated over and over again.

18. captainobvious says:

If work offered me the day off paid but i had to watch the whole ceremony, I would rather go to work. Hopefully when this princess kisses the frog he turns into a prince because he is an outright goblin right now.

19. Robert says:

FYI: Aprill 29 is the anniversary of the marriage of Hitler and Eva Braun.

20. ? says:

Exacly! Who give a flying Leap!

21. red says:

They will be divorced in 10 years like Charles and Andrew anyway!

22. The Mean Angler says:

I heard that the Queen was worth $575 million. I will get up and watch the wedding only if she is paying for it. The whole ordeal is a waste of the good people of The United Kingdoms euros.

1. Julie says:

those Millions came from the taxpayers!!

2. DavidH says:

Pound Sterling.

23. Just sayin says:

This is going to be a historical event. Unlike most crap on TV or in the newspapers about murders, rape, burglary, road rage, drug overdoses. wrong way drivers, unemployment, high gas prices, etc, etc. This is going to hopefully be a time when we can forget about that crap and see what real royal weddings along with all the trimmings is all about. If you don’t want to watch….there will be plenty of bad news on TV somewhere for you to watch.
    Or you can go out and make your own bad news.

24. Richard in Minneapolis says:

After all the months of unendless coverage of people getting bombed by their own governments, starving by the millions, being irradiated by damaged reactors or having a tornado drop a tree on top of them it is very refreshing to see a happy event focused on the future. I wish them both all the best.

If I can manage to NOT sleep through the alarm clock I’ll be watching.

25. Jonathan says:

I think you need to see the following link: http://www.whyamericansshouldcareabouttheroyalwedding.com/. Pretty much sums up my feelings about the whole thing!

26. Julie says:

I was on a plane with a few young Brits and they said when the queen has her local radio hour, they would tune her out.
    ET mentioned there is more American news coverage than what England covers. BTW… it’s kinda said when you see all the national news anchors and reporters “DRUELLING” over the royalty when there are far more important things to cover, like the tornadoes in the south….
    Let’s not forget, the Brits still pay a tax to their heinous…wait, what’s the big deal, sounds like Minnesota!

27. Sarah in Outstate MN says:

The Royal Family has murdered it’s way to the top starting with Alfred the Great. The Queen is finally starting to pay taxes after hundreds of years of oppressing peasants for not paying taxes to the royal family. They’ve lived lavishly on the backs of hardworking people for the last 1140 years.

They are also very inbred after marrying their first cousins to keep the blood blue. Has anyone read Queen Victoria’s royal line? It’s true.

No thanks. I won’t be tuning in. I have a family to care for and a house to look after.

1. Rjh says:

Someone has always been killing someone- way before Alfred the Great. Humans are not necessarily peaceful beings. I found your comments interesting- by the way do you have knowledge of the ancient Egyptian royal line? Most royal families in history have quite a bit of inbreeding.

28. Georgia says:

I’ll be up and watching the wedding. No one does ceremony like the Brits and it’s wonderful to see. It’s also a small bright spot in a world gone to h____. It seems like we should be happy and wish this young couple well just like any other people getting married.

29. Cathleen Bakos Retka says:

NOOOOO, way to early. Will DVR it. Cut through the commercials and other junk.

30. Gail says:

The dress. It’s all about the dress.

31. Charlie says:

I can’t wait for the wedding! “Why,” you ask? Because then we can finally STOP HEARING ABOUT IT!!

32. Who cares if we care? says:

I think it’s hilarious that all you people are claiming not to care about it, yet are reading the article and commenting. If you didn’t care, you would ignore it all, including this article. By giving the royal family the attention, even negative, you are giving them the power. If everyone ignored them, they might go away. Same with Lindsay Lohan, since someone wondered above as to why she is popular. But we don’t, so they’re here to stay.

33. Kim R says:

I had a poster of William on my wall growing up. He was my 1st celebrity crush. I have to watch him get married!!!

34. Amber says:

I think its crazy that people are getting worked up about this wedding. Who cares if it costs x dollars. That’s their deal. I’m watching it. If you don’t like it or don’t want to watch it, then don’t. And don’t tell me I’m crazy for getting up at 5 am to see it – I won’t tell you you’re crazy for having a 12 hour Super Bowl party or an NFL draft party. To each their own.

35. KLS says:

It sure beats watching the T party wackos and the birthers. I have been an anglophile and an anglophobe for 61 years and plan to set my DVR to watch later. I envy the brits for the fun they have with the Royals whether they love them or hate them.

36. Maria says:

This couple is grounded, in love and that doesnt often happen with royalty. Who doesn’t like weddings? Why not celebrate their love, commitment and new life together?

Kate works with her families business and so she’s just like the rest of us. I’ve read also that they (Will and Kate) don’t employ servants – they do their own deal.

What happens when people of office or celebrities get married? The same thing – paparazzi, news media, people trying to get in, etc. It’s the traditional side of things that they celebrate as well.

I wasn’t born yet for Di’s wedding, so this is the first I’ve seen. Why not? Sure I gotta get up early, but I do anyway. They havae alot of pomp and circumstance and it’s not as common here in America for that.

I wish only the best and a happy life filled with genuine love and lots of fun days ahead!

37. Hannah says:

I loved watching the wedding! William was so handsome and his bride just so beautiful! I got up at 3:30 this morning and had my coffee so I could keep awake but sure didn’t need the coffee! The Queen even looked really nice but I don’t really like her anyway. Charles and Camilla….??? I thought the bride’s mother looked beautiful too! I can’t figure out though why William couldn’t turn around to watch his bride come down the aisle!?