Bill To Expand Gun Laws Passes House Committee

By Pat Kessler, WCCO-TV

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – A House committee approved a major change in Minnesota’s self-defense laws Thursday.

It’s a bill to expand the use of deadly force if you feel threatened, but some call it a “recipe for disaster.”

If you are for it, you call this law “Stand Your Ground in Self Defense.” If you are against it, it’s called “Shoot First and Ask Questions Later.”

Either way, it’s a monumental change in the state’s gun laws.

Minnesota law formerly allowed you to shoot an intruder only if you are threatened with bodily harm. But this bill, which passed by a 10-7 vote, says any intruder entering your home intends to cause harm, and allows you to shoot first in self-defense.

“Why should they have to wait until somebody picks up their TV in the commission of a felony, or comes  walks across the floor and grabs the woman or child before they take action?” asked Rep. Tony Cornish.

Opponents to the bill, including police groups, say it opens the possibility to more shootings, and killings, of cops. Others call it “decriminalizing murder,” especially in the cases of mistaken identity, drunks, road rage or teenage pranks.

“Do we really want the law to presume that the homeowner should have the right to shoot and kill an unarmed teenager who has entered the garage to steal a bicycle or other personal property?” posed Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom.

“We don’t think testy neighbors, drunk people or kids playing pranks deserve to die,” argued Heather Martens, the executive director of Citizens for a Safer Minnesota.

The bill’s sponsors said concerns about the bill are overblown. Pointing to unfounded predictions of shooting and killings 10 years ago after Minnesota passed a conceal-and-carry law, the bill approved after one lawmaker’s personal take on a man’s home, and his castle.

“This bill sends a message to criminals and I believe it will act as a deterrent. Don’t break into a house, and you won’t get hurt. It’s a novel idea,” said Rep. John Kriesel.

This particular bill has been up several times in the past, but it never got anywhere while Democrats controlled the Senate and the House. It has a much better chance this year with Republicans running the committees.

More from Pat Kessler
Comments

1. Tom says:

someone comes in my house in the middle of the night you can bet your ass there going to get shot, no question.about it nobody breaks in your house peaceabley. in the middle of the night.

1. jimmy says:

How are you going to shoot someone from the fetal position under your bed?

2. Victim Du Jour says:

Dumb Baby Boomers and their lawyer diseases.

All the grey haired chubby unisex people think we’re suppose to have a vaguely written law for everything. This is an attempt to legalize politically correct murder, and make the ruling class dictate who can get away with murder by claiming victim status.

In most cases police are good at figuring out if it was self defense with their
      forensic science.

1. Reality Strikes says:

VDJ: What planet do you live on/in? Time to put down the hallucinogenic chemicals and realize that if someone is coming through a locked door in the middle of the night, or day for that matter, their intentions are not to calmly introduce themselves and ask for a cup of coffee. If this does happen to you please offer the coffe and let everyone know how that works out……..

1. Victim Du Jour says:

Baby Boomers are the drug addicts, and the draft dodgers hid out in lawschools during the Vietnam war because they had rich parents.

Most cases, the cops are really good at figuring out what happened.

People will just break a window if they want to murder someone.

2. StraycatStrut says:

VDJ,,,, correctly stated….”in most cases”….. not all…. Victim remains a victim in his mind. Peace be with your Bro…. hope they figure out your forensic science when they come to investigate.

1. Victim Du Jour says:

How often do Minnesota people shoot an intruder in their homes? I doubt it happens that much.

1. YW says:

Then I guess it wont be a big deal to have the law passed.

1. Victim Du Jour says:

Someone broke into an old ladies home and a pig attacked him. The criminal was arrested and went on to sue the old lady for his injuries.

I am guessing this is the same reason for the law?

3. Mike says:

It doesn’t matter what nut less gun folk want, we have a Democratic Governor leading this state and with the support of every police department in the state, you might as well be legislating legality to having a cannon hanging out the window or your house, it will rightfully be vetoed. Now go shoot your phallic designed barrels into your targets……

1. Protect OUR Rights! says:

support of every police dept in the state?

did you not do any research on this committee meeting this morning? The Mankato chief of police is in full support of this, and was one of proponents who testified before the legislators today.

1. GunNut? says:

Mike,

Not that it is really worth my time replying to your pathetic comment, but I can’t resist.

Obviously you have never been to a gun club, or have no clue what law abiding gun enthousists do or who they are. As far as nut less, we will defend ourselves while you are shot by the criminal.

And I am guessing that even Dayton will figure out that when this bill gets to him if he vetos it he had best update his resume, as I am confident the a majority of the liberals that elected him (exculding you of course) either own guns or are not opposed to the ownership of guns.

Next time you see a police office ask him about his opions on gun control, his response may surprise you.

4. Crystal says:

I hope it’s not your kid sneaking in after curfew then.

2. Jack Webb says:

Hope it isn’t your daughter coming home from a date, and you forgot she was out that night….

1. URanID10T says:

If you forget that, please please come break into my house.

2. idiocracy says:

(attacking your arguement) This bill will not make people all of a sudden jumpy and trigger happy. They already had that right. If a daughter was coming home late and going to get shot, this bill will not magically make that happen because it already would have happened under current laws. While it should definitely be on your mind when you check out your house, it is not a factor when considering this bill.

More of a general comment- People call ‘gun nuts’ afraid or paranoid. Antigunners are just as afraid, but more for the aftermath of a shooting. Antigunner hypothetical situations are built on top of an already low-chance progunner hypothetical, like some sort of fear-double-negative. “I’d be so afraid of killing someone” Then don’t get a gun, but allow me to have mine because I’m not so afraid of defending my life with any tool necessary. Laying down in the face of evil is not righteous, it’s just a choice; Let me have my choice.

3. Center of Mass says:

The “Stand your ground” and “Castle doctrine” portions of the bill affirms that citizens of Minnesota are secure in their homes and in public. Passage would also have the benefit of putting the criminals that live amongst us on notice that it is likely their “victims” are armed and will not tolerate being victimized. Violent crime in the cities and suburbs will decline on passage of this bill.

1. Statistics, please says:

You have proof of this?? Texas has had their “make my day” law in force for years. Are residential burglaries down in Texas?

1. Cache says:

There is much proof and statistics…read Dr. John Locke and NRA papers…”More guns Less Crime”

1. stace34 says:

NRA papers because they are not biased. Aren’t they the same organization that said if you are a hunter you need to have access to armor peircing bullets.

1. duane_simons says:

stace34: Check any city stats that you like. Those that have very liberal gun laws see crime DECREASE after these laws go into effect. It only makes sense that if you arm the law abiding citizens, the criminals will stay away…….and the nutso’s out there may indeed have second thoughts about carrying out their carnage if they know someone indeed may permanantly stop them prior to their act………

1. jimmy says:

duane_simons
              You’re drinking the kool aid there are no stats the prove that.

1. GunNut? says:

No Jimmy, you are drinking the kool aid.

When MN approve conceal and carry the crime rate went down, much to the chigrin of the “we’re going to have shoot outs in the street crown” (darn, knew I shouldn’t have bought that horse). There are a lot of stats to prove that, but you can’t find your way off the liberal media sites to find them. Do this, google violent crime rates in any city in america, and then see if you can find if or when they instituded a conceal and carry law. You know where the highest murder rate is??? Washington DC (you don’t see that as it isn’t considered a “city”). You know where the stricktest gun control laws are?

You want me to provide you with stats, I don’t have the time to waste, as even if I did you would say they are wrong.

stace34, provide your stats or proof on that. The bill to deny access to “armore peircing bullets” also included stamping every bullet or shotgun shell with a micro enscribed serial number, including reloaders (those of us who load our own shotgun shells to shoot at the gun club) which effectively would drive the price of ammunition out of the average person’s income, and shut down any reloaders.

Name me one gun law that has increased crime, show me one case where a gun law has decreased crime. Look up any mass shooting in recent history, you will find that the perpitrators were not legally allowed to own the guns they shot, or but the ammunition they shot.

ALL of us responsible gun owners will defend ourselves, but as in any case we know our target, what is behind our target, and the range of our firearm (if you would take the time to attend a gun safetly class you would know this also)

If you don’t think there are many people in Minnesota that have defended themselves over the last few years you are sadly mistaken, but you won’t find that on the liberal media sites either.

If you want to rely on the government or the police to protect you, that is fine with me. Not that I am saying that either is bad, I know a lot of police officers (mostly those that belong to a local gun club) and I would trust them with my life, but neither of them can be anywhere at any time.

1. DZ says:

Well, it looks like the crime numbers peaked in the 80’s then dropped significantly. When did the gun laws in TX change?

1. jimmy says:

No they peaked in 1991 and it had nothing to do with the gun laws of Texas. If you page down you can pull up crime in the entire US and you will find the whole country dropped in 1991-92. I doubt the entire country changed their gun laws. .

2. Dan says:

@ Jimmy
          Your stats show that murders and violent crimes have dramatically dropped since Texas has incorporated self defense laws. what’s you point?

1. jimmy says:

Dan it does not show that. read above. Regardless of that you can pull up MN. for the same period. You will find in 2009 that Mn. had 1.4 murders per 100,000 people while Texas had 5.4 murders per hundred thousand, or 4 times as many. Please explain with Texas’ great gun laws how could this be. Do you really want to raise the murder rate in Mn. to equal that in Texas?

1. dan says:

@Jimmy,

If you look at the graph it clearly shows that Texas murders and violent crimes have significantly dropped in the past 20 years. Comparing Texas to MN is pretty tough as you have obviously lived in Southern Texas and realized the illegals and gang warfare that we do not have in MN. Mexican drug gangs are a bit more ruthless than the Canadian beer drinkers.

1. What's the big deal! says:

It sort of sounds like Jimmy might be a burglar… why else all the fear?

4. Jeff McCuskey says:

I’m so glad they are focusing on jobs like they promised. This should really help.

1. Bob says:

Jeff, why does everything have to be about you. What have you done for yourself ? Why are you relying on the government to help you ?

1. What's the big deal! says:

Couldn’t have put it better myself, Bob.

2. Self Empowerment says:

The jobs will come at the gun making factory. Maybe you should open one up yourself.

3. Hey Jeffyboy! says:

They are focusing on jobs, they want criminals to work and not steal from others!

5. Mark says:

It’s about time there was some common sense to these laws. With the economy in a downward spiral, The bad guys will do anything and there have been numerous situation where strangers have broken into houses and tormented whole families.
    The police can not be everywhere.

6. JimJam says:

Why arent Dayton, Franken, Klob and Obama focusing on Jobs? I voted for these rats and they havent helped me one bit. I dont want welfare, I want a job.

1. Lower Middle Class man says:

There was a story today about comcast hiring 450 people!!!!!!

1. Joe says:

Yes, there are alot of jobs out there…..$4, 5 and 6 dollars an hour….People wanted “Change” there you have it…..” Go Obama” …..

1. successNOT says:

I’d like to know whos paying $4,5,6 dollars an hour, your a clown.

1. Self Empowerment says:

@ successNOT – HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

@ Joe – The federal government and State of Minnesota both have minimum wage laws. The federal government raised the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour effective July 24, 2009. It is higher than the state minimum wage and applies to most Minnesota workers. The state law applies to workers who are not covered by the federal law. That includes a $5.25 an hour minimum wage for some small business employees and a short-term $4.90 an hour training wage. Are you looking for a training position in waitressing?

2. successNOT says:

Then get out and look for 1 p.o.s., im 36 and since i was 15 have not been unemployed how hard is it, yes your going to make less money but take some pride in yourself, the world is a chitty place , we know u want to be paid dollar, who doesn’t sometimes you make sacrifices. im a laborer but i would work at a gas station b4 i would sit home and complain about not having a job

7. Dick Cheney says:

Damn right JImJam – it’s the liberals fault!! But wait, big corporations are sitting on huge profits and not hiring. Oh, and one more thing – the article was about a STATE LAW that is being considered – what the heck does Obama have to do with that?

Get an education – it’s the most recession proof qualification you can have.

8. Chuck says:

Just a note for information, from what I understand, this bill would not make much change in rules for using deadly force, just making sure that you can not be sued if you do! Makes sence to me!!!

9. Sam says:

Hey. Makes sense to me. A fifteen year old kid breaks into your house on a dare, he deserves to die.
    Why stop there? If someone runs a stop sigh, they’ve potentially risked your life. Let’s make it legal to shoot someone who’s run a stop sign near you.

Not everyone who breaks into your house intends to do you physical harm. This bill washes away the responsibility to have an appropriate response to the level of threat you are facing.

1. Cache says:

“Not everyone who breaks into your house intends to do you physical harm”. Really…silly logic… you can read minds…aye????!?!?!?! You live in LA LA land like so many do…you break into my home…..your dead! I can’t read the mind of a thug or druggy and I am not going to. The thug wants what I worked for…NOT! I have no idea what they want – Rape, robbery or murder…I don’t care…your dead. No one will testify and lie against me. Your in illegally…I’ll blow your arse away with a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot magnums…the only warning you will get is the sound of me clicking the safety off. And yes I know who is in my home and who is in front of my weapon at ALL times!

2. Cache says:

“Not everyone who breaks into your house intends to do you physical harm”…Get real…You can read the mind of thug who has broken into your house???? What’s he and his friends with him there for a late nite party…silliness!

1. Bob says:

Maybe stay out of peoples houses ??? Lets make the criminals responsible for their actions, not society ?

1. Mark says:

It is not the victims responsibility to assess the correct level of response. Yes, you should verify it isn’t your family member. Beyond that law enforcement have to announce themselves, anyone else is entering and may be armed and may intend to kill me. If I do not assume they might, then if they do, I have surrendered my opportunity to save myself. If a 15 year old wants to break in on a dare, I’m not sure how his safety is my responsibility. He has violated my home and in doing so threatened me and my family.

3. Lower Middle Class man says:

Sam

You are always free to just lay there and get you _ss kicked if you want – Go eat some more Tofu and Hug another tree!!!

4. me says:

You’re an idoit.

5. Theresa says:

You break into my house on a dare and I’m suppose to give you the benefit of the doubt? How am I to know why you are there? Do we stop and have some cit chat? NOT! MY HOUSE!!MY RULES!!

6. Mark says:

There is a huge difference between 1st degree burglary (felony) and a stop sign violation (petty misdemeanor). Get a clue Sam. Bottom line is that they should not break into your house. Anyone breaking into a house does not have good intentions.

1. Pete says:

It could be argued that someone who would run a stop also does not have good intentions (why would they risk someone else’s safety to save their precious time) and have intentions that could be just as dangerous and devastating. If I had a bazooka for every time I have had a close call with a “sign runner” and a law to protect my use of it the roads would be a safer place. The same with our homes.

10. Independent Spirit says:

Sam…….I have had entry into my home, and damage done while away………..nothing like having someone come into your home while you are away,………..imagine, u sleeping at night, and someone is standing over you in your bed? Where is the responsibility, and where does it lie? Would you have an appropriate response?

IF someone is in your house……..without permission……….IT IS MY responsibility, and my response to defend myself.

You are living in a naive bubble my friend.

Independent Spirit.

11. Murph says:

Guns are overrated as protection.The real danger is in having one toyed with by kids,drunks and the owners themselves.Here in bear country the poor dumb critters usually run away or give you fair warning or they just back off if you hold your ground. Of bears or bulls,pick the bear as the one LEAST likely to hurt you.Criminals are a problem sure enough.But the odds favor not having a gun,as the unarmed intruder may use your gun on you,if one is available.Such as a burglar finds it and then you come home unexpectedly! It’s not an easy decision,especially with handguns.Think it thru and be sure it’s what you want around the house!

1. Lower Middle Class man says:

Is is a easy decision – My decision – You do what you want and I’ll do what I want. And by the way a burgler is not likely to find my Gun!!!

2. murphy needs help says:

I would think a burglar would not want to intrude in a house with a gun and a possible drunk homeowner. Wait…..Is that a burglar?

12. Flachlander says:

Gee whiz! Thanks for giving me the proprietary nod to defend myself from harm! Guess what, politicians? If someone breaks into my house at any time–day or night–I’m going to use the old double-tap:one shot at center of mass, and a second to make sure. I won’t hesitate more than a split-second. I have three Labradors, but there are crazies out there on drugs that even they don’t faze.

13. Breakout Bob says:

I can already have a gun in my house. To shoot someone currently, I basically need to have watched them rape my wife and killed her, then turn the weapon on me. Otherwise the criminal, or in my case the criminal’s surviving family can sue me because I could’ve broken out of my house to prevent me from being injured. I own my house, I own my yard, I pay taxes to the government to protect this for me. When they cannot respond in time, should I need to “break out” of my house so I do not lose my property or life, or risk being sued because I have glass in my house? If you don’t want to own a gun that’s fine by me, but when a criminal wants to harm you, make sure you have a crowbar to break out!

1. What's the big deal! says:

Breakout Bob makes a good point. Those of you who oppose deadly force, would you honestly stand by and wait for the police to get there while an intruder hurts one of your family members? I’m just curious…what would you all do? Seriously, I’ve always wondered…

14. Help says:

Gun owners are drunks….

Enough said!

1. Cache says:

You mean every cop, FBI, ATF, soldier, DEA, Border Patrol,etc, etc, etc..to????? This kind of ignorance hurts my head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Helpe says:

yawn… putting words in people’s mouths huh…

It’s easy for ignorant people like you to be overwhelmed by the truth…

1. idiocracy says:

‘Gun owners are drunks’ isn’t even a good stereotype, how is it even close to the truth?

I’m so overwhelmed by your truthiness… Darn, I must be ignorant. But, it’s ok, I still have my guns and beers.

2. Lower Middle Class man says:

Help

You need help. I hope for you sake someone with a gun is around some day if you really need help!!!

3. Joe says:

You do need “HELP” with a statement like that.

15. Dirty Harry says:

(Help) I’m sure the police, C.I.A., F.B.I., and Secret Service would appreciate that remarkably stupid comment.

16. freemindthinker says:

there was a case in mn, the kid enters the family home and killed mom and dad and son…now if this law apply then, it would have save this family….i will support this law…..late at nite, if some1 breaks in, i bet 30 round of ar15 will be empty out…lol….

1. idiocracy says:

Minnesota already has a ‘castle doctrine’ which fullly alllows you to defend yourself inside your home. This bill would not have prevented the act you speak of. But, this billl will give you immunity from a criminal’s family trying to sue you for using deadly force.

2. jimmy says:

“there was a case in mn, the kid enters the family home and killed mom and dad and son”

If I remember right it was dads gun that was used.

17. Bob says:

We need this bill as protection from criminals that break the law and sue innocent homeowners who have protected themselves and their families. You can always count on some ignorant people who take everything to an extreme. The same people said that people would be dying in the streets when the permit to carry was passed. If you are counting on the Police to protect you, good luck with that.

1. captainobvious says:

Very excellent point Bob, people were crying about the permit to carry thinking we’d have shootouts daily, I cant remember 1 story yet in years. Think aobut that people this is another bill to protect decent people, if you feel like this bill could harm you, then you’re not a decent person.

18. Shelleyjol says:

We’re following this issue on Northeast Minneapolis Crime Watch & Information (Facebook page). This bill is long overdue and I support its passage.

19. swerver says:

How on earth can any1 have a problem with this bill, if your breaking in homes your a waste of life, i dont care if its a lifetime criminal or a 1st time, they’re all useless

20. Marjorie says:

These are the same group of dopes who criticize law enforcement for using deadly force in the line of duty to protect themselves and citizens from being killed by gun toting criminals.

21. Burb Lover Chris says:

I carry a gun, because cops are too heavy.

I will defend myself.

You can be a victim in your own home if you’d like.

22. Anthony says:

I do agree with this law but can understand some people that are against it. I’m not quite sure how this law is worded, but I think they are worried that people will let people they want to kill into their houses and then shoot them, and say it was “self defence” and that they “broke in.” /shrug just something to think about.

23. notagunowner says:

This bill makes me feel like I need to get a gun now to protect myself so I’m not a victim in my own home. Can the law also give me a discount on a gun, because right now I don’t have the money for one, but I really feel I need it for protection.

24. Todd says:

Mn is already prettty sensible about home self defense. A few years ago a guy was jimmying the window outside and the guy shot him. He went before a grand jury and they let him go. I think the law is OK as is. As for carrying guns in public? What you will have is a bunch of idiots out on the street carrying guns. Cops hate that the law was changed to have a bunch of gun slingers running around. You will have people shooting at purse snatchers (and I don’t condone purse snatching Repubs) and hitting innocent people and they won’t be punished because they were trying to hit the “bad guy”. Home defense: OK. Runing around with guns: Crazy.

1. dan says:

Todd, I think you would be surprised how many people have a conceal and carry license. They walk around you everyday and are trained to only use as a last resort. The gunslingers you hear on the news are not the conceal and carry folks. Those are the gang bangers that will always be there regardless of the laws.
      When is the last time you heard about a conceal and carry licensee open fire or be involved in a drive by shooting?

1. Mike says:

Are your really that ignorant Dan? If a carry and conceal permitted gun owner was out committing crimes with their gun, would someone know if was involved with a drive by shooting if they were not caught?
        Bernie Madoff was a nice guy and nobody imagined he would do what he did ether.

1. dan says:

The first thing our local news agencies would spout is the fact that a legal citizen carried out a horrific crime. Drive Bys are gang bangers. Bernie Madoff comparison? Everyone thought Obama was a great leader until he actuall found himself way over his head in office.

25. Lower Middle Class man says:

This Bill passed today 10-7. st step cleared more to come.

26. Matt says:

All this will do is go further to protect homeowners from the courts. Today if a kid broke into your house on a prank and you shot them because you were concerned for your family there’s a chance you could go to jail, when it was obviously the kid breaking into the houses fault.

No one wants to see people shot, but the more open the gun laws are the less crime there will be, it’s been proven over and over in Europe, Chicago, Baltimore ect..

Remember if you outlaw guns only an outlaw will have guns.

27. Victim Du Jour says:

And the media will be the ones dictating who can shoot people in their homes.

Perhaps the people introducing this law should be charged with terroristic threats.

1. Ellen says:

I think you should be charged with blatant ignorance.

28. smb says:

Let’s put it to a vote. Republicans should be all for majority rule on someone’s rights.

29. KEVIN says:

CENSORED AGAIN BY CCO

30. KEVIN says:

CENSORED AGAIN BY CCO iMY HAVE SAID IT ALREADY BUT YOU WON’T POST IT.

31. Joe Max says:

Accident shot will never happen, It happen to those who don’t know how to handle guns only and there is no one will entry a home by accident, it always a thief, a burglary, or a bad people only. For those who like to enter someone’s house by accident, Good luck, you could get shot by me because I can tell who is accident entry and who is not.

32. Lordy says:

Lordy….these nuts have guns? I thought we kept guns away from the mentally derranged.

33. Ben says:

I will shoot and kill anyone breaking into my house and threatening my family wether it is legal or not.

I would rather spend the rest of my life in prison rather than have my family hurt or killed.

34. Bill says:

This is unbelieveable, I don’t understand why they allow some of the comments to even be posted. Stands to reason that if someone is forcing themselves into a house they are there for a reason, steal, rape or whatever else can be done. Now if the homeowner or renter is there and they do have a firer arm handy should they be allowed to protect their property or family without having to go to jail or be sued by the family of the person that broke into the house?

35. llp says:

Comment pages are a newspapers way of saying we suck at being a newspaper

36. Tim says:

hey, all i ever see or hear about is people with guns killing people that dont have guns. pretty hard to shoot someone without a gun. No if Your a person that really wants to do that, go ahead, the law is on Your side

37. JJ says:

This could help thin out the criminals. Yay. But Heaven help the unarmed homeowners who will likely be targeted instead of the armed folks. And yes, some criminals will know whos who,

38. The Crux of the Biscuit says:

Look everyone, the law doesn’t say you HAVE to shoot someone that comes into your home against your wishes. It will only allow people that feel threatened with bodily harm to draw a weapon and defend themselves before they get hurt themselves. All of you against this law don’t have to go buy a gun. Home invasions are on the rise and the people breaking and entering ain’t there to bake cookies. By the way, I’m a Democrat and I LOVE my fourth Amendment rights.

39. Mike says:

Do you really think Governor Dayton is going to sign this into law?
    You gunslingers need to move to Texas or Florida where you all will have lots of company with slack jaw goofballs.

1. Ellen says:

You are not particularly smart Mike. The dangerous gunslingers are the criminals that prey upon the innocent public. Folks with a permit to carry concealed do just that…KEEP IT CONCEALED! They don’t flaunt their firearm, but rather have it on their person just in case they need it. I don’t carry concealed myself, but I am around plenty of folks that do. And I feel safer because of them.

2. Bob says:

Mike, I promise that I will never defend you. One of your slack jawed friends. I do hope you are infertile ?

40. Nate says:

It’s pretty obvious that many people posting have not even read the bill. They are just following along with the rhetoric. The self defense portion of this bill that deals with using deadly force is only a small part of a very good bill.

I’m new to the state, but I’m thankful there is some common sense measures taking place in the House and Senate.

I support everyone’s legal right to self defense without fear of prosecution or a civil liability lawsuit from the criminal or their family. A person should not have to go broke because they were forced to protect themselves or their family.

41. fred says:

better to be tried by twelve than carried by six

42. Lawman45 says:

A good start is a reading of the current law (it’s less than 100 words) before you try to debate it. Apparently, Heather hasn’t done that yet. Minn. Stat. section 609.065 ALREADY provides the deadly force may be used “when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor REASONABLY BELIEVES exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death.” If the belief is one a “reasonable” person (an objective test) might hold, the shooter goes free even if she was mistaken. THAT’S the current law that Heather loves. And it is the law in all 50 states,on federal lands, and in the US armed forces. Self-defense law in “civilized” Europe (except the UK) is often even stronger.

43. not a vitcim says:

it’s not even worth the time to comment! So many people do not even have a clue.
    Feel free to call goverment sponsored dial a prayer and the best of luck to you. I will Not! I will protect myself and my family at all cost. Remember that someone breaking in to your house is a criminal and criminals need to be held accountable. Criminals do have guns, know how to use them and will use them to intimidate and or hurt you.

44. Jason says:

Wow, I get censored alot.

45. jas says:

Have some good comments for debate, but they censore me.

46. RIII says:

When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

People in Minnesota have been charged with a crime while defending their life or preventing a felony in their home. Defending yourself against this type of prosecution can financially ruin you and all to often the poor go to jail and the rich go to Disneyland. I am all for strengthening the law.

ALSO NOTE In 1982, the city of Kennesaw GA passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition, there is exemptions. Following the law’s passage, the crime rate dropped as much as 89% according to some sources. Google it.

47. John says:

Finally a fair titled article. Don’t let the fear mongers get you. Nobody is going to hear a noise in their garage and start unloading rounds. That’s ridiculous. So many good things in that bill, like the government not being able to take your guns in the event of a catastrophe (happened during Katrina.)

48. Jason McKay says:

I have no problem with this bill. If someone breaks into my house day or night, they are committing a crime and endangering myself, my kids and my wife. Dopers, teenagers looking to score some medicine chest drugs, burglars are home invaders if they break into my house. Being able to defend your life and those of your loved ones should not be illegal. Stopping a home invader from stealing and terrorizing your family should not be crime.

49. snowman says:

What a bunch of hillbillies! Time to remove the tinfoil hats &
    have your trailers tested for lead Get off the porch,put your
    shotguns & banjos down,and go to work

50. Phil Mcrackin says:

Firearms in the hands of the untrained is worse than having none at all. Many places around the twin cities have firearms training, its useful and fun.

51. Mike Hunt says:

Bang, bang, bang, you’re dead if you a dirt bag trying to do bad things to people.
    Why do people have a problem with that? I can live with this law even if I don’t have a gun because the evil doers don’t know if I own a gun or not.

52. fred says:

remember the L.A. riots? hurricane Katrina? local government reels in the police force without activating the national guard. it turned into a field day not only for thieves, but for murderers, rapists, ect, ect.,….when the stuff hits the fan, your on your own. time to lock and load.

53. Chris says:

Why would you be against this? Unless you are the police and need the public to live in fear. Or if you are a criminal. Good bill and I hope it passes. Further, if police are worried about their safety they should support drug law reform. That will get them out of harm’s way serving warrants. How often do the announce themselves after the fact anyway.

54. Larry says:

The same people predicted the last “recipe for disaster” when the state passed the “shall issue – concealed carry” handgun law several years ago.
    Where’s all the dead people they predicted from that gun law?

55. sporty007 says:

My heavens but the nuts are out in force on here – if you are afraid of a gun don’t own one – last I checked we still had the right to bear arms. If you can’t tell the difference between a child coming home and a burglar – please don’t have children because you don’t have a clue and heaven forbid please don’t buy a gun.